Author Topic: Maradona 1960-2020  (Read 99126 times)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Maradona - Why the fuss?
« Reply #520 on: February 15, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »
Borini was a Chelsea youth player. Balotelli did pretty well at City, his problems there were off the field. But yeah, you have to go back a fair bit to the days of Ravenelli, Zola, Vialli and co when buying from Italy was really successful.
This is the key point. Back when Serie A was great, there were no issues with player quality. But for the past 15 years, the purchases from there have largely been disappointing. Walter Samuel, Zambrotta, even Cannavaro himself, Crespo, Shevchenko, Veron etc. Even a fan of Italian football will run out of excuses, so many flops.

Re-Balotelli at City. It depends on how you look at it. He cost fair bit, and transfer fees weren't that huge back then. Was largely unremarkable, for the fee paid, but media portrayed him as some sort of genius. Go back and watch some of the games, and he was who he was.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #521 on: February 15, 2016, 03:57:44 pm »
Even a fan of Italian football will run out of excuses, so many flops.
You make a compelling case, one you've made a few times before I might add! But could it be just the fact that Italy tends to keep their best talent for longer? When great players did leave, Cannovaro, Shevchenko and Veron they were past their best.

If you gauge Italian success by what the national team has done over the last 15 years, a World Cup and a Euro final appearance being the stand out performances maybe it's not the talent in Italy more what players the clubs will sell. 

When you look at the quality that has played in Italy and performed well for both club and country on the international stage over the past 15 years you can't be honestly suggesting that the players from Serie A, the really great ones, Pirlo, Maldini, Cafu, Totti, Del Piero, Nesta, Seedorf, are not up to scratch.

In the interest of balance would it not be worth looking at how players from the Premier League get on when they leave England? You'd probably find that most players are fairly average or past their best when they move on.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: February 15, 2016, 04:06:39 pm »
You make a compelling case, one you've made a few times before I might add! But could it be just the fact that Italy tends to keep their best talent for longer? When great players did leave, Cannovaro, Shevchenko and Veron they were past their best.

If you gauge Italian success by what the national team has done over the last 15 years, a World Cup and a Euro final appearance being the stand out performances maybe it's not the talent in Italy more what players the clubs will sell. 

When you look at the quality that has played in Italy and performed well for both club and country on the international stage over the past 15 years you can't be honestly suggesting that the players from Serie A, the really great ones, Pirlo, Maldini, Cafu, Totti, Del Piero, Nesta, Seedorf, are not up to scratch.

In the interest of balance would it not be worth looking at how players from the Premier League get on when they leave England? You'd probably find that most players are fairly average or past their best when they move on.
True, but I am just providing a balance. Italian media and fans are merciless toward players. They either hit the ground running or get the Golden Bin award (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidone_d'oro). And the cost doesn't matter, the age doesn't matter, the history... There is this overriding belief that Serie A is the hardest tournament among all. And that is totally baseless, or has been baseless for about 15 years now. They have fake interviews where they lead their new arrivals to say "it's much harder to play and score in Serie A". This is not really difficult, they just ask leading questions, and the players, unless brainless, know what is the right thing to say.

Regardless, my point is not about that. My point is, Serie A, for me, is the slowest league among top 4-5. One of the reasons why the players fail, IMO, is precisely because of that. My original point here is that we know some players have a hard time adjusting to the pace of game in England. In Maradona's days, the game was far slower than even current Serie A. I am just questioning why everybody thinks that Maradona would have been OK in the modern game? I don't doubt he would have done well in some teams, but his body may not have taken well the speed of modern game.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: February 16, 2016, 01:29:15 am »
True, but I am just providing a balance. Italian media and fans are merciless toward players. They either hit the ground running or get the Golden Bin award (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidone_d'oro). And the cost doesn't matter, the age doesn't matter, the history... There is this overriding belief that Serie A is the hardest tournament among all. And that is totally baseless, or has been baseless for about 15 years now. They have fake interviews where they lead their new arrivals to say "it's much harder to play and score in Serie A". This is not really difficult, they just ask leading questions, and the players, unless brainless, know what is the right thing to say.

Regardless, my point is not about that. My point is, Serie A, for me, is the slowest league among top 4-5. One of the reasons why the players fail, IMO, is precisely because of that. My original point here is that we know some players have a hard time adjusting to the pace of game in England. In Maradona's days, the game was far slower than even current Serie A. I am just questioning why everybody thinks that Maradona would have been OK in the modern game? I don't doubt he would have done well in some teams, but his body may not have taken well the speed of modern game.

on italian football - so what?  it is a function of economics...during the 80's italian clubs (with their wealth and underlying corruption) were able to pay the best wages, so all the best players went there....and that added a layer on top of what they already had, which was a pretty successful history of club and international football, but they blew themselves up with excess and now they do not have either the underlying quality or the pull they once had and their depth has reduced.....so, yes, now they are behind spain, england and germany in terms of depth and quality (having said that english clubs are hardly pulling up tress in europe, and england remain uncompetitive, and only bayern in germany are really competitive in europe, leaving a concentration of quality in spain)

the point about maradona is moot....noone from the past could compete in today's game at the same level as they did, as they were not exposed to the same levels of conditioning, training and competition....they were exposed to the practices available at the time....reverse the question, would messi have been the player he was if he grew up in the days maradona did, when physically there was little assistance and smaller players just had to stand up and be excellent and stand up for themselves. big centre halves routinely clogged, manhandled and made up for their lack of pace and mobility by just getting in the way with everything they had with impunity.  would messi have been able to assert himself the way maradona did?  i don't know.  i do however, believe that neither maradona or messi could have dealt with the absolute kicking that pele had to put up with on a regular basis (just watch some of the footage from the 1966 world cup)

so whilst you may question some what happens taking players out of their era, but it works both ways, but is ultimately pointless.  we just don't know.  we can only base judgements on what the players actually achieved.  and messi's club stsatistics clearly mark him out as one of the best ever.  as does maradona's incredible performances in mexico, and his achievements at boca and napoli, where hs influence as an individual was, imo, at least equal of any other individual in a successful team
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #524 on: February 16, 2016, 11:40:37 am »

It works both ways, though. If Maradona came through now, he would be training with modern methods, diet and exercise advice that simply wasn't available at his time. He might have been even better, it's impossible to know. Top players now are faster than in his day, but he was a top player, so it makes sense he would also be faster. If you went back in time and took Maradona and brought him to play modern football, then yes, you could see that as a problem, but if you grew a clone of him and sent it to La Masia, it's a different story.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #525 on: December 7, 2018, 05:24:31 am »

The worm who did all kinds of drugs during his football years?

If he needed doping then, what makes you think he could cope with the fitness levels of today? A lot more doping?  :D

This guy had it easy compared to Pele. Wanna see tough tackling...dig a little and watch some videos of Pele. For a good part of his career they did not even have cards.

Still at it, I see!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EzxSDCaMdME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EzxSDCaMdME</a>

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #526 on: December 7, 2018, 03:15:52 pm »
Maradona was magic. Did things with the ball I didn`t think was possible. Messi is the only one I have considered to be on that level. Both are on another level when it comes to natural ability.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2018, 03:17:23 pm by Raaphael »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: December 7, 2018, 06:37:07 pm »
A prime Maradona is this era with the protection attacking players get.

He would be insanely stupendous in the game today.

Dribbling vision and leadership qualities, no doubt he would be the best player on the planet (with Messi) of course.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #528 on: December 7, 2018, 06:39:41 pm »
The worm who did all kinds of drugs during his football years?

If he needed doping then, what makes you think he could cope with the fitness levels of today? A lot more doping?  :D

This guy had it easy compared to Pele. Wanna see tough tackling...dig a little and watch some videos of Pele. For a good part of his career they did not even have cards.
Pele was before dope testing, was probably on all sorts.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: December 7, 2018, 06:48:42 pm »
I agree with many here, Maradona and Messi are the two best I’ve seen.
I thhink “why the fuss” ahould be opened for Pele though :wave

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2019, 03:05:46 pm »

Diego Maradona documentary: official trailer released...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cuErPYsoaR4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cuErPYsoaR4</a>

'The full trailer has been released for Diego Maradona, a feature-length documentary about the Argentinian legend's time at Italian club Napoli. Produced from over 500 hours of footage from Maradona's personal archive by the Academy Award-winning team behind Senna and Amy, the film will trace his on and off the pitch exploits in Italy during the 1980s. Diego Maradona will premiere at the Cannes film festival, before hitting cinemas on 14 June.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #531 on: May 11, 2019, 04:26:54 pm »
Can't wait to see this "documentary"..

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #532 on: May 11, 2019, 04:33:41 pm »
They did a good job of the Amy and Senna films.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #533 on: June 16, 2019, 11:26:17 pm »
I went to see this tonight, it was ... a bit of a downer actually.  The first half was utterly joyous, just seeing him play on the big screen - I heard Ken Early during the week call his back-to-back titles with Argentina and Napoli in 86/87 as the most meaningful in the history of football, which sounds about right at least until no.19 drops - but ugh, the unravelling, the price of living a life so intense, it’s so sad.

Still though, the game footage above all else is brilliant, it’s all grainy touchline cameras and (easily overlooked) the audio on those bits is a delight.  I sat quite far forward and kept realising that I’d physically turned in my seat just to fully take in the part of the screen that he was on, he’s pure footballing charisma.

Offline robygerrard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #534 on: June 16, 2019, 11:50:08 pm »
My lad took me to see this at FACT for father's day & it was brilliant.
Go back to West Ham Paul at the start of this thread & that explains for me why Maradona is the greatest I have seen.
Flawed genius is the term.
I even had a tear in me eye at the sight of him struggling to play walking pace 5 a side at the end of the film

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #535 on: June 17, 2019, 12:13:49 am »
There was all sorts of really interesting stuff, but a couple of football titbits that caught my eye:

• he won capocannoniere in one of his seasons in Italy with 15 goals - I’ve seen it scoffed at compared to modern-day records, but they flashed up the graphic from the time and there’s five players reached double figures.  Five!  And it’s not like it’s just journeymen either - Ruud Gullit’s in about seventh place, and he managed eight.

• there was a bit where he’s talking about having had to think about adapting to Serie A after a so-so first season, and he’s talking about having to balance the pace he needs to escape the defending with the technique to do what he wants with the ball - ‘if I go full speed, I don’t know if my technique can take it’ - so he has to work out the best blend to perform with.  I thought that was great insight, and really put some of the explosive second-season footage in an excellent context.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2019, 12:35:10 am »
There should be a documentary on anywichway

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #537 on: June 17, 2019, 02:35:30 am »
There was all sorts of really interesting stuff, but a couple of football titbits that caught my eye:

• he won capocannoniere in one of his seasons in Italy with 15 goals - I’ve seen it scoffed at compared to modern-day records, but they flashed up the graphic from the time and there’s five players reached double figures.  Five!  And it’s not like it’s just journeymen either - Ruud Gullit’s in about seventh place, and he managed eight.

• there was a bit where he’s talking about having had to think about adapting to Serie A after a so-so first season, and he’s talking about having to balance the pace he needs to escape the defending with the technique to do what he wants with the ball - ‘if I go full speed, I don’t know if my technique can take it’ - so he has to work out the best blend to perform with.  I thought that was great insight, and really put some of the explosive second-season footage in an excellent context.

I know Italy was tight for goals, but that is absurd!

Looking it up, it was a 30 game season, and Napoli won it by scoring 43 goals.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:38:45 am by Brian Blessed »

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #538 on: June 17, 2019, 04:22:03 am »
I always loved the mad bastard. I still get goosebumps watching him play and toy with defenders, show off his skills in training, win a game by sheer determination, ride the tackles from 5-6 opposition defenders trying to hack him in pieces. He had everything and was joy to watch. Planning to watch this soon. Hope it does justice to this mad genius.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: October 2, 2019, 04:23:12 am »
The documentary premiered in the US tonight on HBO.  Was really well done.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: October 2, 2019, 10:18:09 am »
Maradona was one of the best I've ever seen play. Prefer him to Messi personally. Mad as a box of frogs as well and his handball against england will always raise a smile.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: March 22, 2020, 12:00:29 am »
Watched half of the doc on Ch4 tonight with my 9 year old son. Had to kick him up to bed but we'll finish it tomorrow. Really good. Hope you're all keeping well x

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: March 22, 2020, 02:38:42 am »
on italian football - so what?  it is a function of economics...during the 80's italian clubs (with their wealth and underlying corruption) were able to pay the best wages, so all the best players went there....and that added a layer on top of what they already had, which was a pretty successful history of club and international football, but they blew themselves up with excess and now they do not have either the underlying quality or the pull they once had and their depth has reduced.....so, yes, now they are behind spain, england and germany in terms of depth and quality (having said that english clubs are hardly pulling up tress in europe, and england remain uncompetitive, and only bayern in germany are really competitive in europe, leaving a concentration of quality in spain)

the point about maradona is moot....noone from the past could compete in today's game at the same level as they did, as they were not exposed to the same levels of conditioning, training and competition....they were exposed to the practices available at the time....reverse the question, would messi have been the player he was if he grew up in the days maradona did, when physically there was little assistance and smaller players just had to stand up and be excellent and stand up for themselves. big centre halves routinely clogged, manhandled and made up for their lack of pace and mobility by just getting in the way with everything they had with impunity.  would messi have been able to assert himself the way maradona did?  i don't know.  i do however, believe that neither maradona or messi could have dealt with the absolute kicking that pele had to put up with on a regular basis (just watch some of the footage from the 1966 world cup)

so whilst you may question some what happens taking players out of their era, but it works both ways, but is ultimately pointless.  we just don't know.  we can only base judgements on what the players actually achieved.  and messi's club stsatistics clearly mark him out as one of the best ever.  as does maradona's incredible performances in mexico, and his achievements at boca and napoli, where hs influence as an individual was, imo, at least equal of any other individual in a successful team

Only 3 english teams in the last 2 champions league finals and 2 more in last seasons europa final. Shitty English.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #543 on: March 22, 2020, 10:58:53 am »
Only 3 english teams in the last 2 champions league finals and 2 more in last seasons europa final. Shitty English.

He'd have needed a time machine to know that before posting though ;)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: March 22, 2020, 11:04:54 am »

Hardly relevant to a post from four years ago.

Edit: just saw fish got in first.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: March 22, 2020, 11:06:52 am »
I recorded this, I wish I watched it now.

Everyone on Twitter is raving about it, Maradona was top 3 trending last night.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #546 on: March 27, 2020, 04:22:49 am »
Was absolutely incredible. The chap who made this is a proper auteur. He's got his very own style, that's a hattrick of amazing documentaries for him now Senna, Amy and Maradona. I was moved so much by this.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: March 27, 2020, 11:12:05 am »
We know football was rougher in the pre-PL era, but this was an eye opener. You can't under-estimate how much more difficult it was for flair players in those days on awful pitches, and getting kicked from pillar to post. Also I had forgotten just how much hardware Maradona won in a short space of time:

World Cup
2 Scudetto's
Italian Cup
UEFA Cup
World Cup Final
Top scorer in the best league in the world twice, from midfield
All this in 4 years really.

All of this while getting kicked, all the celebrity, full of coke, and playing for what amounts to being the equivalent of Newcastle United.

Messi has the longevity but for this 4-5 year period Maradona was the best ever.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #548 on: March 27, 2020, 11:34:49 am »
The title in this thread will never not be funny.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: March 27, 2020, 11:43:23 am »
We know football was rougher in the pre-PL era, but this was an eye opener. You can't under-estimate how much more difficult it was for flair players in those days on awful pitches, and getting kicked from pillar to post. Also I had forgotten just how much hardware Maradona won in a short space of time:

World Cup
2 Scudetto's
Italian Cup
UEFA Cup
World Cup Final
Top scorer in the best league in the world twice, from midfield
All this in 4 years really.

All of this while getting kicked, all the celebrity, full of coke, and playing for what amounts to being the equivalent of Newcastle United.

Messi has the longevity but for this 4-5 year period Maradona was the best ever.

Aye, Maradona's best ever for me, but Messi will always be part of that conversation. I remember someone mentioning that Maradona as a player was a cross between Messi and Suarez in one of the threads here, that's probably the most apt description of him I've seen anywhere.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: March 27, 2020, 02:20:06 pm »
Maradona as a player was a cross between Messi and Suarez

This is completely accurate from what I have seen. I think Suarez's 13/14 season for us was more typical of Maradona than any part of Messi's career.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: March 28, 2020, 08:46:48 am »
What a great film of, for me the greatest footballer.

A lot is mentioned of the hatchet men he had to put up with on the pitch. Some of those tackles are just wrong. I have never seen that brawl before when he was at Barcelona, against Bilbao I think, that was brutal.

Felt sorry for him at times in the film. When he first went to Napoli he had a look in his eye sometimes when looking at others talking like a little boy lost.

This is available on All4 until the 20th of April if anyone missed it.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #552 on: March 28, 2020, 04:50:14 pm »
It is impossible to compare Maradona to any recent players. Both Messi and Ronaldo is nothing like him. Ronaldinho came closest but doesn’t have his leadership. Suarez have some of that genius and tenacity but lacked the playmaking skills.

Maradona is a genius and the biggest cheat in football at the same time.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: March 28, 2020, 04:51:55 pm »
Still the best thread title I’ve ever seen.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: March 29, 2020, 10:19:27 am »
Fantastic documentary, a real story of triumph and tragedy.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: March 29, 2020, 12:42:58 pm »
There wont be another, you cant manufacture a Maradona in the modern football academies.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: March 29, 2020, 12:53:35 pm »
Still the best thread title I’ve ever seen.
;D

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: March 29, 2020, 10:15:10 pm »
What a show that was. The Napoli era defined him as a player, it was great to see the documentary focused on his time there and not just covering his whole career and not looking in depth at that.
What he did there was incredible, the way his attitude to winning and not accepting what the Neaoplitan's were perceived to be on and off the pitch was breath taking. imagine being in Naples during the 1990 World Cup. When Argentina rolled in.
I'll never tire of seeing that fight when he played for Barco too, the mad fucker

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #558 on: March 31, 2020, 03:26:56 pm »
There wont be another, you cant manufacture a Maradona in the modern football academies.

Trent Alessandro Arnoldo?

Offline Tsunami

• Main Stander
« Reply #559 on: March 31, 2020, 06:37:47 pm »
I remember someone mentioning that Maradona as a player was a cross between Messi and Suarez in one of the threads here, that's probably the most apt description of him I've seen anywhere.

More a cross between Suárez and Gazza. But considerably better. Never seen a single player have more influence over any team, and he did it numerous times. Still prefer Pele, he played with better players but he was on a different level.