Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3301628 times)

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27480 on: October 11, 2022, 02:41:12 am »
Sean Rodgers mentioned on the review today that he could talk for hours on all the mitigating issues this season. I would love for the review crew to do a special on what they think has gone wrong this season, Sean is so incredibly insightful to listen to. 

Personally I think the coaching staff has missed pretty badly, and none of their gambles have paid off. I would be interested for the review team to dig a little bit deeper on reviewing the season (a especially preseason) as a whole and how it's lead us to this point. More importantly I'd be interested to hear what they would do to steady the ship from here.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #27481 on: October 11, 2022, 07:10:45 am »
Sean Rodgers mentioned on the review today that he could talk for hours on all the mitigating issues this season. I would love for the review crew to do a special on what they think has gone wrong this season, Sean is so incredibly insightful to listen to. 

Personally I think the coaching staff has missed pretty badly, and none of their gambles have paid off. I would be interested for the review team to dig a little bit deeper on reviewing the season (a especially preseason) as a whole and how it's lead us to this point. More importantly I'd be interested to hear what they would do to steady the ship from here.

Agree. The free show was decent and finally someone has touched on how we look out of possession in our attacking third. Rob alluded to it but it was largely glossed over. It’s a major issue and I’ve not seen it discussed anywhere. It’s all midfield midfield midfield, which while correct, is just a part of the problem.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27482 on: October 11, 2022, 08:00:24 am »
Post match show is decent actually. Thought I’d struggle with it but feel slightly better for listening (even though it’s understandably downbeat).

Listened to the pink last night, best one for ages. A good listen. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27483 on: October 12, 2022, 02:59:12 pm »
Enjoyed "The Great Football Scheduling Debate". Discussions like this are what sets TAW apart from the other fan media I know about.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27484 on: October 14, 2022, 07:46:02 am »
Well done to Rob Gutmann on Three Strikes, for being the one and only person in years of TAW to actually get to the heart of the biggest problem, football-wise, with the financially doped clubs. The sportswashing is awful of course, and these people should never be allowed to own football clubs with their backgrounds and intentions going in. But the worthy, necessary discussion of that often distracts from the footballing side, and what they're doing there is making a mockery of the competitive landscape, or the idea that you earn your success. It basically ceases to become sport when clubs no longer earn their way to the top, and simply financially-dope their way there on cheat mode.

I would've thought this should be obvious to everyone as perhaps the biggest problem in football, but I'm frequently astonished at how it's never discussed. Rob, for a couple of minutes at least, actually described things as they truly are, and I was very grateful for that.

And if he were to do a full Unwrapped show on the subject (which he mentioned the possibility of), then I would love to hear it. More of this please.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27485 on: October 14, 2022, 11:53:53 am »
It's strange that people still don't know how the draw works for the last 16 of the Champions League.  I felt sorry for Rob having to explain to Josh and Mike how it worked and them continually not seeming to take it in.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27486 on: October 14, 2022, 11:54:59 am »
It's strange that people still don't know how the draw works for the last 16 of the Champions League.  I felt sorry for Rob having to explain to Josh and Mike how it worked and them continually not seeming to take it in.

Was a bit mad.

Guttman has been in good form recently. And he also liked a Partridge related tweet of mine the other day so I think we’re now best friends.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #27487 on: October 14, 2022, 11:55:16 am »
Didn't they use to do something where Neil would move counters around on a board, discussing tactics. Vague memories of this.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27488 on: October 14, 2022, 12:30:28 pm »

It’s not hard either

Country protection so you can’t play a team from the same nation.

Team that finishes 1st plays a team that finishes 2nd and the team that finishes 1st will be away 1st leg.

That’s about it isn’t it?

Offline MaradonaPisstest

• Boys Pen
    • HoldingMidfield.com
« Reply #27489 on: October 14, 2022, 12:53:37 pm »
That’s about it isn’t it?

Also can't play the team from your group but that one's pretty obvious.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #27490 on: October 16, 2022, 10:26:12 am »
I probably count as a dinosaur watching and listening on a (non mac) computer these days, but I have the shows on for some of when I am working. I find the layout of the wrap site very poorly thought out, and I understand some of the ideas why shows aren't dated, but guess what, dates and straightforward chronological order to all the content would work better than the themes we have to work through, often fruitlessly. I'd like to hear and see most of the shows, but if they are difficult to find going forwards, I may well just knock it on the head, catch the free stuff and watch a mix of other LFC shows. Losing me is not a problem, but it's a disservice to yourselves making shows easy to miss.
Edit, an ideal example would be the podcasts. If I log in to video, I am not logged in to podcasts, and on the podcasts page, there is no log in at the moment. The latest shows are not in the external content carriers, for example, the warm up this week. I'm only allowed the 2 min preview, and its not on Podcast addict.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 11:22:05 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #27491 on: October 16, 2022, 12:14:20 pm »

I'm pretty much in agreement with these comments - I have had to give up access using Safari on my Mac - I have to use Chrome and even that feels pot luck. It's the phone or nothing.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27492 on: October 17, 2022, 04:46:07 am »
Can't log into the app (iPhone) this morning lads. Working on desktop (mac).

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #27493 on: October 17, 2022, 05:39:40 am »
I probably count as a dinosaur watching and listening on a (non mac) computer these days, but I have the shows on for some of when I am working. I find the layout of the wrap site very poorly thought out, and I understand some of the ideas why shows aren't dated, but guess what, dates and straightforward chronological order to all the content would work better than the themes we have to work through, often fruitlessly. I'd like to hear and see most of the shows, but if they are difficult to find going forwards, I may well just knock it on the head, catch the free stuff and watch a mix of other LFC shows. Losing me is not a problem, but it's a disservice to yourselves making shows easy to miss.
Edit, an ideal example would be the podcasts. If I log in to video, I am not logged in to podcasts, and on the podcasts page, there is no log in at the moment. The latest shows are not in the external content carriers, for example, the warm up this week. I'm only allowed the 2 min preview, and its not on Podcast addict.

Not saying your feedback isn't valid but I just wouldn't use the website for podcasts, that goes for any supplier and not just TAW.

Grab Grover Podcast for Windows: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/grover-podcast/9NBLGGH6C4BC?hl=en-us&gl=us

Click 'Subscribe', tick 'Requires Authentication' and enter https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/player/subscribe/ followed by your user/pass:

For the video player (which isn't very good), I'd just bookmark this URL: https://theanfieldwrap.com/player/video/. Then from the menu click 'TAW Video Player' and you'll get all the videos in chronological order:

:D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27494 on: October 17, 2022, 06:11:40 am »
Can't log into the app (iPhone) this morning lads. Working on desktop (mac).

I’m getting the old ‘Premium’ flag next to all podcasts bar the free ones. Saying I don’t have a Subscription in my profile.

I’m sure a few IT issues is just what you want to be facing the morning after a win like that. :D

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #27495 on: October 17, 2022, 09:22:03 am »

same for me - can't access the post match pint video even tho' I am a full subscriber

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27496 on: October 17, 2022, 09:24:40 am »
same for me - can't access the post match pint video even tho' I am a full subscriber

It’s sorted again for me now. Very enjoyable dog walk this morning!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27497 on: October 17, 2022, 09:26:43 am »
With respect to the last couple of posts, when this happens to me, I find that a quick 'kill and restart' of the app tends to sort it out.

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #27498 on: October 17, 2022, 09:43:37 am »

someone has done something at source cos it's fine now

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27499 on: October 17, 2022, 02:08:27 pm »
Daft as it sounds, when Liverpool win I know I’m going to look forward to podcasts. I was so fed up last week that it wasn’t easy getting through the content.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27500 on: October 18, 2022, 04:02:44 am »
App is screwy again....podcasts are 'premium' though I have a DD subscription
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #27501 on: October 18, 2022, 05:30:33 pm »
Really frustrating atm - my podcasts aren't updating on the podcasts app on my phone.

I know there must be at least 2 shows on Monday yet the last thing my podcasts app is showing is the post match show from Sunday- but with a full set of games this week, I would have thought they'd have hit the ground running with content on Monday. Shame as I've got a drive to non league later and was looking forward to that to kill the time of the drive there and back. Any idea why?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #27502 on: October 18, 2022, 07:20:04 pm »
The app works so that's my fix for the drive to non league, but can't get the podcasts app to work for love nor money. I've tried readding it and restarting the phone.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #27503 on: October 18, 2022, 10:00:02 pm »
The insight in that pre match stats based show (forget the name) is next level.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27504 on: October 19, 2022, 04:23:48 am »
In light of our manager getting smeared to the point of consulting legal counsel (just because he - for once! - actually spoke the truth about Man City), are we now going to get some actual coverage of sportswashing in action?

Witnessing article after article from BBC, the Times, the Mail and others basically say that Jurgen Klopp caused Man City fans to sing disgusting songs about stadium disasters from the get-go, as though we deserved it and brought it on ourselves, is to watch a paid-for PR machine go into overdrive. Barely a mention of City not publicly condemning it either. This is not within the normal parameters of bad reporting and it's not reasonable or sane. We've passed the tipping point of this now and the idea of truth (we've been here before) is getting attacked and reclaimed by bad people.

Maybe TAW can't throw allegations around like I just have, but I'm getting sick of mostly tiptoeing around this. What's happened the last few days is a disgrace on so many levels, and it's getting so obvious now and clear for all of us to see. Time's up for pretending it's just football. Time's up for letting David Mooney only talk about football as though its the most normal thing in the world that Man City are the best team on earth. Time's up for saying there's 'respect' in this rivalry. We're up against a club backed by some of the worst people on earth and they're not playing around. It's time our fanbase, and very importantly our fan media, the ones with microphones and a standing in the outside world, started addressing this more directly and more often.

It'll sound dramatic, but please guys, I think we need you on this.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 04:28:03 am by decosabute »

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #27505 on: October 19, 2022, 09:21:31 am »
In light of our manager getting smeared to the point of consulting legal counsel (just because he - for once! - actually spoke the truth about Man City), are we now going to get some actual coverage of sportswashing in action?

Witnessing article after article from BBC, the Times, the Mail and others basically say that Jurgen Klopp caused Man City fans to sing disgusting songs about stadium disasters from the get-go, as though we deserved it and brought it on ourselves, is to watch a paid-for PR machine go into overdrive. Barely a mention of City not publicly condemning it either. This is not within the normal parameters of bad reporting and it's not reasonable or sane. We've passed the tipping point of this now and the idea of truth (we've been here before) is getting attacked and reclaimed by bad people.

Maybe TAW can't throw allegations around like I just have, but I'm getting sick of mostly tiptoeing around this. What's happened the last few days is a disgrace on so many levels, and it's getting so obvious now and clear for all of us to see. Time's up for pretending it's just football. Time's up for letting David Mooney only talk about football as though its the most normal thing in the world that Man City are the best team on earth. Time's up for saying there's 'respect' in this rivalry. We're up against a club backed by some of the worst people on earth and they're not playing around. It's time our fanbase, and very importantly our fan media, the ones with microphones and a standing in the outside world, started addressing this more directly and more often.

Great post.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline lollysportswasher

• Wants us to accept the reality that Liverpool will never sign another player.
  • Kopite
« Reply #27506 on: October 19, 2022, 09:34:06 am »
I'm Arab and there is 0 chance that Klopp is racist, but I think he should've mentioned Chelsea as well to shut this argument. Chelsea are also sport-washing and having unlimited funds, the only difference is Chelsea waste their money on average players and City buys players who fit their system due to Pep. Other than that he is pretty spot on that City only got to where they were was because of money and unlimited funds.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27507 on: October 19, 2022, 11:05:01 am »

Literally sports washing in action.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27508 on: October 19, 2022, 11:28:16 am »

Gutmann mentioned on one of the podcasts a potential show dedicated to the issue a couple of weeks back, although I don't know if that was just wishful thinking or something actually in the pipeline.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27509 on: October 19, 2022, 12:01:14 pm »
I'm Arab and there is 0 chance that Klopp is racist, but I think he should've mentioned Chelsea as well to shut this argument. Chelsea are also sport-washing and having unlimited funds, the only difference is Chelsea waste their money on average players and City buys players who fit their system due to Pep. Other than that he is pretty spot on that City only got to where they were was because of money and unlimited funds.
Chelsea are no longer owned by Russian money so that's no longer a relevant point...even though it was a big issue as recently as February.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27510 on: October 19, 2022, 12:10:05 pm »

I don't think Klopp would have envisaged at the time of making the comments that he was going to be accused of xenophobia.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27511 on: October 19, 2022, 12:18:47 pm »

Chelsea are owned by a an American capitalists, same as us. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27512 on: October 19, 2022, 02:14:40 pm »

I understand the point you're making (though as others have said, it's no longer relevant with Chelsea), but pulling the racism card is fucking horseshit and we all know it is. This is a PR blitz of smearing and deflection. Manchester City/Abu Dhabi are Trump-ifying football and the way it's covered. It's extremely serious and a major, major problem. Needs to be covered as this is nothing less than an existential threat to the game as we've known it. I don't understand why everyone pussyfoots around it while Abu Dhabi are playing as dirty as you possibly can.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27513 on: October 19, 2022, 02:24:58 pm »
Gutmann mentioned on one of the podcasts a potential show dedicated to the issue a couple of weeks back, although I don't know if that was just wishful thinking or something actually in the pipeline.

Yeah I was on here the other day praising him for what he said and hoping that the Unwrapped show he mentioned became a reality. But a lot has happened since then. What Abu Dhabi (and Pep, with his typically snidey sour grapes shite) have done is kick things up a level, and now it's not enough with even a cursory mention in a single show. It needs to be confronted properly. People need to wake up.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 02:27:16 pm by decosabute »

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27514 on: October 19, 2022, 04:18:07 pm »
Yeah I was on here the other day praising him for what he said and hoping that the Unwrapped show he mentioned became a reality. But a lot has happened since then. What Abu Dhabi (and Pep, with his typically snidey sour grapes shite) have done is kick things up a level, and now it's not enough with even a cursory mention in a single show. It needs to be confronted properly. People need to wake up.

Neil's excellent Daily Rundown from yesterday (link here: https://mailchi.mp/theanfieldwrap/taw-daily-run-down-smfjjjc1sc-1368503) talks about it as "an enormous structural sporting issue", so I would be surprised if they didn't look to approach it in some way following on from Klopp's comments. It's just a question of how it's approached.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #27515 on: October 19, 2022, 10:35:59 pm »
Didn't hear back from anyone, but the Podcasts app just randomly decided to start working 48 hours later. Alls well that ends well and that's the Pink to listen to on the drive into work tomorrow.  :D

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #27516 on: October 22, 2022, 02:42:18 pm »
@TheAnfieldWrap
Fucking shite.

2:27 pm · 22 Oct 2022
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #27517 on: October 22, 2022, 02:42:18 pm »
God bless Neil trying to hype up the live filming the post match pint after that
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:04:09 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27518 on: October 22, 2022, 04:18:14 pm »
God bless Neil trying to hype up the live filming the post match pint after that

Tough gig. :D

99% of the time I’m very jealous (and in awe, I know it doesn’t happen by luck) of them getting to talk about the Reds for a job. Days like this I’m glad I don’t.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27519 on: October 22, 2022, 09:46:23 pm »
"But momentum dropped.

"The feel good dropped.

"Morale dropped."

Neil’s review. Could be talking about TAW HQ and all. Tough gig is right.