Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 570970 times)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #440 on: July 11, 2020, 05:48:03 pm »
Commentator on radio said Curtis had a good game particularly in the 1st half so that is encouraging.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2020, 06:03:16 pm »
Thought he was quietly good first half, nothing spectacular but that's no bad thing because we already know he's got the spectacular in him, it's the being in the right place to support the attack or stop the counter type stuff he needs to prove he can do, and he did that while still showing the odd touch of class & a knack for getting in the box.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: July 11, 2020, 06:17:01 pm »
Thought he was good. Can tell he's still getting used to the increased athleticism of senior football, once he does I'd expect we see a step up in his play. Hopefully gets another start against Newcastle.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: July 11, 2020, 06:43:02 pm »
This is the type of game that will do Jones and Williams a world of good, it's one thing to go against a tired Villa or Palace team for the final 10 minutes or so, it's another to go over an hour against a proper shithouse team like Burnley.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: July 11, 2020, 06:58:08 pm »
Thought we lost a little bit of penetration when he went off and that’s a great compliment to the lad. He was arguably our best player in the first half too.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: July 11, 2020, 06:59:59 pm »
I actually thought his decision-making, especially in the final third, was quite poor first half, but much better second.

What bodes very well is that he is was actually very solid in the defensive phase and his first touch was impeccable nearly every time. Clearly the other seniors had faith in him being able to receive the ball under pressure and he didn't disappoint.

Solid performance.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #446 on: July 11, 2020, 07:22:40 pm »
Thought we lost a little bit of penetration when he went off and that’s a great compliment to the lad. He was arguably our best player in the first half too.
He was everywhere first half wasn't he?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #447 on: July 11, 2020, 07:23:26 pm »
Great stuff from Jones today, was disappointed to see him go off.  Doesn't look out of place and he's only going to get better and better playing along side the quality players that we already have.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #448 on: July 11, 2020, 07:25:58 pm »
Great stuff from Jones today, was disappointed to see him go off.  Doesn't look out of place and he's only going to get better and better playing along side the quality players that we already have.

Seemed sensible at the time and I thought Keita would raise the tempo but didn't come off.

I think gradually blending in the youngsters and not over tiring them will only benefit them.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #449 on: July 11, 2020, 07:38:09 pm »
Think he had a great game. Not at all out of place, kept turning up exactly where needed, great moves and passes and a decent chance to score where he just needed a bit more composure. Would happily have had him stay on all game. Really excited about this lad's future with us. Not only can he be anything he wants to be but it's looking like he will.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: July 11, 2020, 07:55:08 pm »
Going to have this to my list of "things I was terribly wrong about".

I was struggling to see what all the fuss was about, but over the last few weeks he has not looked out of place whenever he has played in the midfield of the Champions of Everywhere.  That is pretty incredible given he is 19 years old. 

Particularly impressed by his positioning.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #451 on: July 12, 2020, 01:01:02 am »
Gave the ball away with tremendous regularity.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #452 on: July 12, 2020, 08:35:22 am »
He passed the ball with tremendous regularity.

Most passes in the final third (subbed off after 69 minutes)
More passes than anyone other than the LB and two CBs (subbed off after 69 minutes)
89% pass completion
2/2 tackles won (best in our team)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: July 12, 2020, 08:43:05 am »
Controversial time but whilst I thought he was good at being available for the pass, I think he was quite slow at times to release the pass, especially near the final third.

Stepping stone though and he’ll have gained so much from this game, and long may it continue.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: July 12, 2020, 10:02:51 am »
Can just agree that he played well and seemed to both be in the right position very often but also had a nice trait of moving past players or moving into a free position and also picking out the right pass. It never felt like he was standing still. Which is something I get tired of watching.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #455 on: July 12, 2020, 10:25:32 am »
Played well, looked for the ball. Didn't look out of place. Passed and moved. Will have been disappointed not to score and might have to be a bit quicker in his passing.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #456 on: July 12, 2020, 02:01:43 pm »
Controversial time but whilst I thought he was good at being available for the pass, I think he was quite slow at times to release the pass, especially near the final third.

Stepping stone though and he’ll have gained so much from this game, and long may it continue.
There was one occasion that stood out, where he drove forward impressively with the ball but then waited too long to release to the waiting Mane, and ultimately lost it. These things happen with all players, let alone young players, and he will learn. It's all good.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #457 on: July 12, 2020, 02:04:53 pm »
He was great. We lost a lot of goal threat when he was subbed off. He has a knack for always being in the right place in the final third. That's rare for a midfielder, and something that you can't teach. Lots of times he was in a great position, but the ball didn't come to him either. You can see he can shoot it too, with either foot. Just needs to bag a couple of more, gain some confidence and he'll start scoring regularly for us. A different type of midfield option to what Klopp has had at Liverpool so far. The future looks bright for him. You can see the hunger to succeed too.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #458 on: July 12, 2020, 03:53:24 pm »
Could be a Toxteth thing. Always though Fowler sounded not quite Scouse enough 🤷🏻‍♂️
Never thought of it like that, but now you mention it, yeah, Robbie doesn't really have a 'broad' urban scouse accent... it almost seems like he's got a blocked nose at times..

might be due to wearing that nose clip thing too many times when he played  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: July 12, 2020, 03:56:30 pm »
Never thought of it like that, but now you mention it, yeah, Robbie doesn't really have a 'broad' urban scouse accent... it almost seems like he's got a blocked nose at times..

might be due to wearing that nose clip thing too many times when he played  ;D

May be that a Scouse accent is now dictated by the North End Screech a la Carragher rather than the more educated tones associated with the South End.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #460 on: July 12, 2020, 04:26:51 pm »
May be that a Scouse accent is now dictated by the North End Screech a la Carragher rather than the more educated tones associated with the South End.

😁 Think it’s a proven fact that northenders are the proper Scousers.

Offline abetts

• Anny Roader
« Reply #461 on: July 13, 2020, 12:48:12 pm »
He does tend to hold onto the ball for too long and sometimes gets caught out, but he'll only iron out that detail by playing more in the first team. I love the fact he drifts effortlessly into goalscoring positions and can score a variety of goals - evidenced by the 3 goals he has so far this season.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #462 on: July 13, 2020, 01:02:24 pm »
Yep, there's that as well.

On a related note, like most cities of a certain size, Liverpool doesn't have one 'typical' accent I would say.

It almost detracts from the heritage and culture of a city to claim that only one accent exists, and all others are not authentic or whatever.

It's noteworthy that the older generations do tend to have slightly different accents to the younger generations (and we're not talking about dialect here, either), so there's really no wrong or right answer. It's just evolution and development due to migration, multiculturalism, socio-politics etc.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:46 am »
Needs to hit his passes harder. You could see the difference between him and Neco and the senior players. Great how he gets on the ball in great positions so much. Decision-making will come with more games.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: July 14, 2020, 03:11:16 pm »

Per @fbref, Curtis Jones led all Liverpool players in pressures, progressive passes, and distance covered while carrying the ball against Burnley. First career start, small sample size, near-meaningless game, etc. but it's pretty clear that he is the best player in the world.
https://twitter.com/rwohan/status/1283034680963604488?s=19

Statistically one of the best and you cant argue with that. :D

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #465 on: July 14, 2020, 06:09:22 pm »
Obviously he missed 2-3 golden opportunities to score, but the positive was getting into those positions in the first place. Obviously has a lot to learn but I think this will help massively. Not sure if he will get another start, possibly against Newcastle but he's done enough to see more minutes.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: July 14, 2020, 06:34:28 pm »
Obviously he missed 2-3 golden opportunities to score, but the positive was getting into those positions in the first place. Obviously has a lot to learn but I think this will help massively. Not sure if he will get another start, possibly against Newcastle but he's done enough to see more minutes.

Needs to be taking them chances... In the elite league as a young player you can't afford to be missing 2-3 golden opportunities.

Jones isn't looking for more minutes now, hes looking for a starting place

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #467 on: July 15, 2020, 01:23:19 am »
Needs to be taking them chances... In the elite league as a young player you can't afford to be missing 2-3 golden opportunities.
What a strange thing to say

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: July 15, 2020, 10:44:34 am »

I'm not sure I'd describe them as golden opportunities but he's shown he can get into goal scoring positions so that's something to build on.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: July 15, 2020, 11:00:42 am »

Tend to agree with you here. Also explains for me why Harry Wilson was carted off to relegation-threatened Bournemouth instead of keeping him around.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: July 15, 2020, 11:29:29 am »

Harsh as he has found the back of the net after all

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: July 15, 2020, 11:48:52 am »
I like him. First thing I look for with these youngsters is that they don't look out of place, then I look for them to stand out. He in his appearances so far has not looked out of place, and hopefully he gets to start the remaining 3 games

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: July 15, 2020, 12:50:12 pm »

Why is it?

I rate Jones but this is now playing in an Elite league to make sure you stay in the team you need to take your chances. You need to do a Owen, Gerrard, Fowler, TAA. Jones doen't want to be a bit part player! He wants to be a 1st teamer and you can't be missing 2-3 chances as a young player. Need to take them.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: July 15, 2020, 12:52:14 pm »
Why is it?

I rate Jones but this is now playing in an Elite league to make sure you stay in the team you need to take your chances. You need to do a Owen, Gerrard, Fowler, TAA. Jones doen't want to be a bit part player! He wants to be a 1st teamer and you can't be missing 2-3 chances as a young player. Need to take them.

He’s played twice. Come on as a sub once, and scored. Started another and was about our best player. Pretty grim to be trying to slate a youngster who has actually done well, but not a huge surprise.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: July 15, 2020, 01:02:32 pm »
As Lobo says it’s his first start in the league. I highly doubt Klopp or the coaching staff said to Jones after the game that you need to finish them chances if you want to play at elite level. For someone so young and inexperienced he did well in constantly showing for the ball and getting on the end of them chances, he looks like he belongs and that’s great for us and Jones, he’s ready for more of a role in the squad next season.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #475 on: July 15, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
Why is it?

Because Klopp and his team are not like daft fans. They will neither excessively lionise nor write-off a player based upon whether he ''takes his chances'' or not. They'll look at him and his play holistically and base their decisions upon a whole host of factors not least of which is giving players a proper chance to prove their mettle, in both training and matchplay, and not cryarsing if he fails to score from a chance. 

Plus the fact that Jones won't be seen as primarily a goal scorer. Goals are always great, but he is there for other reasons

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: July 15, 2020, 08:00:11 pm »
He's scored 3 in 10 appearances this season so I'd say he's doing quite well in front of goal, all things considered.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2020, 08:32:05 pm »
It’s not a bad return but you’ve got to remember Fordy has high standards when it comes to central midfielders.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2020, 08:46:41 pm »
Its time to give Clarkson a go. Jones has had his chance. Should be off in the summer really.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #479 on: July 16, 2020, 04:56:53 am »
Its time to give Clarkson a go. Jones has had his chance. Should be off in the summer really.
It's true, he could end up being the best player...

...in the world!