Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3471255 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #51480 on: April 13, 2020, 07:18:48 pm »
High Life
Very rarely quit a film halfway through but this was frustratingly awful. So pretentious it hurts. Pattinson is the only redeeming quality.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Loved it. I'd heard going in that there were no so few morally redeemable characters in it, and I think that might be the film's strongest point. Found it to be very clever and witty. Two strong leading performances.
I really liked High Life, but seems a lot of people over here didn't. What is it that you found so pretentious?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51481 on: April 13, 2020, 08:41:15 pm »
Been watching some shorts today and came across this absolute gem.  "The Lunch Date" won the Best Short Oscar in 1990 

Just shows you don't need fancy cinematography to create something amazing

A 10 minute masterpiece which is even better on second viewing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/epuTZigxUY8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/epuTZigxUY8</a>

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #51482 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:49 pm »
Lovely that Buck.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #51483 on: April 14, 2020, 12:07:01 am »
High Life
Very rarely quit a film halfway through but this was frustratingly awful. So pretentious it hurts. Pattinson is the only redeeming quality.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Loved it. I'd heard going in that there were no so few morally redeemable characters in it, and I think that might be the film's strongest point. Found it to be very clever and witty. Two strong leading performances.

Agree on both accounts.

Saw a gem of a dark comedy last night called The Art of Self-Defense with Jesse Eisenberg, about a guy who, after getting mugged, joins a karate class. Lotta fun.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #51484 on: April 14, 2020, 01:40:58 am »
Watched 2 fleems the last few days with an actress in id never seen or heard of before (well i dont think i have). Had no idea before i watched the 2 she was in either but if she carries on this form shes gonna be one of my favorite ever

Betty Gilpin . She is superb

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #51485 on: April 14, 2020, 03:22:20 am »
Watched 2 fleems the last few days with an actress in id never seen or heard of before (well i dont think i have). Had no idea before i watched the 2 she was in either but if she carries on this form shes gonna be one of my favorite ever

Must watch Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling on Netflix, Capon...

Gilpin is phenomenal.

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51486 on: April 14, 2020, 07:18:18 am »

Just googled her. Was one of the films A Dog’s Journey you big softie?!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51487 on: April 14, 2020, 12:57:08 pm »
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

All I wanted from 2020 is to see Reds lift the title, hear Oh Sees live again and watch this movie 20 times in 5 days.
At least one of these doesn't look like it'll be postponed.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #51488 on: April 14, 2020, 04:56:54 pm »
Must watch Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling on Netflix, Capon...

Gilpin is phenomenal.

Cant see myself watching that to be honest mate but cheers. Shes boss though. Kathy Bates is my all time fave but this gal reminds me of her with her humour

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #51489 on: April 14, 2020, 04:57:18 pm »
Just googled her. Was one of the films A Dog’s Journey you big softie?!
:P :boxhead

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #51490 on: April 14, 2020, 08:57:43 pm »
Holy fuck, Blue Story, is absolutely fucking dreadful. At times it felt like a bad episode of grange hill they made you watch in detention. Absolutely shite!

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51491 on: April 14, 2020, 09:11:49 pm »
Gemini man - standard film for a plane journey. Usual cgi face tech problems at times
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51492 on: April 14, 2020, 10:45:25 pm »
:P :boxhead

A good fleem as you would say. My kids loved it. :D

#sausages

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #51493 on: April 14, 2020, 11:43:16 pm »
A good fleem as you would say. My kids loved it. :D

#sausages
it was actually the hunt and Coffee and Kareem i watched. Too mature to be watching kids fleems mate.

Plus, you have a small Willy

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #51494 on: April 15, 2020, 01:56:41 pm »
I really liked High Life, but seems a lot of people over here didn't. What is it that you found so pretentious?
I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the second season of True Detective, but the dialogue in High Life reminded me of that. As with that show, some lines were the kind of thing a teenager writes when they’re trying to be all deep and philosophical. I just got the impression the film was trying too hard, if that makes sense.

Still excited to see what Pattinson gets up to. I might rewatch The Rover sometime.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #51495 on: April 16, 2020, 04:49:34 pm »
it was actually the hunt and Coffee and Kareem i watched. Too mature to be watching kids fleems mate.

Plus, you have a small Willy
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51496 on: April 24, 2020, 08:48:30 pm »
Get Out is on Film 4 at 9 if you need something to watch. Great film.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51497 on: April 24, 2020, 09:12:35 pm »

The way the maid smiles in that gives me the creeps!

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #51498 on: April 24, 2020, 09:29:00 pm »
Apocalypse Now
Rewatched. Really a film like no other. Puts you in a different mindset after watching.

Ad Astra
Very enjoyable. I loved how serene it felt, the loneliness of space really comes across.

The Good Liar
Not bad. Found McKellen's performance somewhat jarring though.

Never got what the fuss was about there if I'm honest.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #51499 on: April 24, 2020, 10:15:04 pm »
Apocalypse Now
Rewatched. Really a film like no other. Puts you in a different mindset after watching.
Watched the 4k final cut edition of this recently, and have to agree. A truly astonishing and one of a kind film.

It made me sad that we'll never get to see a movie like this anymore though, especially since how notoriously difficult it was to shoot. A massive budget given to a visionary filmmaker on his prime to do what he pleased. No CGI shite, all practical stuff. The result: a complete masterpiece that looks as great now as it did then.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51500 on: April 24, 2020, 10:47:40 pm »
Apocalypse Now isn't even Coppola's best film, The Conversation is. Then there's The Godfather, absolute genius.

What a run, The Godfather, The Conversation, Godfather 2, Apocalypse Now. Best run of films from any American director.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #51501 on: April 24, 2020, 11:11:12 pm »
The Night Comes For Us is probably the most violent film I've ever seen. Indonesian and about an elite Triad defecting so to speak. Really is non stop violent action. Loved it. Just disengage your brain and enjoy.

It's on Netflix.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #51502 on: April 25, 2020, 11:29:01 am »
Watched Togo last night. I have repeatedly said to myself not to watch films with dogs as protagonists cause they mess me up. Well I did and guess what? It messed me up. Fucking Disney had me on a string again. A moving watch about two underdog stories, the size of the fight in the dog and a special bond.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #51503 on: April 26, 2020, 01:24:30 am »
Just watched Uncut Gems.

I really enjoyed how it didn't fall into the obvious traps and how it hooked you in pretty well into this guy's life.

But I have to say that the music and audio in it is absolutely jarring, from the muddled dialogues, the poor choice of music (especially the end song) to people constantly talking over each other. Had to pause it a couple of times just to have a breather!

I get it was probably to put you in his mad, frantic world but it just distracted me more than anything.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #51504 on: April 27, 2020, 05:35:33 pm »
Interstellar
Normally a big Nolan fan. First half was enthralling, perfectly paced with that grand soundtrack. Really liked the father-daughter bond in particular. Felt that it fell away completely in the second half. Worth mentioning I'm not a fan of complex narratives anyway, but regardless this was a mess. Huge moments were passed over in an instant and it all felt rushed.

The turning point for me was around half way into the film, and it happened right at it's absolute peak. Anyone who's watched will know the scene I mean. It starts off scary and ends up heartbreaking. A memorable moment, but sadly it represents the film's peak.

Another Earth
Rewatched this. Thinks it's a really cool and interesting little film. The visuals, colour palette, soundtrack...I get totally drawn in by the atmosphere. Worth checking out if you haven't already.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #51505 on: April 27, 2020, 07:50:19 pm »
Saw "The Night of the Hunter" for the first time last night, and it's one of the most beautifully shot movies I have ever seen. It was incredibly eerie and scary at times, and Robert Mitchum's performance was as great as you would expect. The acting by the oldest kid annoyed the hell out of me though. It just took me out of the film every time he had to speak, or react, or do anything besides sulking. Fortunately, the director realized this and give him very little to do in the latter half of the movie.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #51506 on: April 27, 2020, 09:25:03 pm »
Saw "The Night of the Hunter" for the first time last night, and it's one of the most beautifully shot movies I have ever seen. It was incredibly eerie and scary at times, and Robert Mitchum's performance was as great as you would expect. The acting by the oldest kid annoyed the hell out of me though. It just took me out of the film every time he had to speak, or react, or do anything besides sulking. Fortunately, the director realized this and give him very little to do in the latter half of the movie.

Now that's a film! Director was Charles Laughton of Quasimodo fame, don't think he directed much but this movie is almost perfect.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #51507 on: April 27, 2020, 09:58:50 pm »
Now that's a film! Director was Charles Laughton of Quasimodo fame, don't think he directed much but this movie is almost perfect.
It was his only directed film. The movie was received pretty poorly by both critics and audiences, and apparently he took it to heart. Kind of a shame really, as this was excellent (I would call it a masterpiece if it wasn't for that little shit) ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:11:38 pm by Lastrador »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #51508 on: April 27, 2020, 10:25:19 pm »

Chiiiilllldren!

Great film

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #51509 on: April 28, 2020, 04:33:28 pm »
Super shout on night of the hunter ..I wonder in fifty years time when an 18 to 30 year old looks back on classic films like that what they will think .......watched Newman's the Verdict .....I don't think it has aged well
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51510 on: April 29, 2020, 08:18:09 am »
Sad day for fans of Slumdog Millionaire, The Darjeeling Limited and Life of Pi with the passing of Irrfan Khan from a colon infection, aged 53. He had previously been diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour in 2018.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #51511 on: April 29, 2020, 05:05:05 pm »
Super shout on night of the hunter ..I wonder in fifty years time when an 18 to 30 year old looks back on classic films like that what they will think .......watched Newman's the Verdict .....I don't think it has aged well

I recently saw it the first time and is very good. Better than most courtroom dramas, although no 12 Angry Men

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51512 on: April 29, 2020, 08:28:38 pm »
Apparently Universal made a fair bit of money releasing Trolls 2 straight to digital. As a result they said future films will go to cinemas and direct to homes. Odean have thus banned Universal films from their cinemas.

Looks like Covid-19 will kill off cinemas.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51513 on: April 30, 2020, 02:40:37 am »
Apparently Universal made a fair bit of money releasing Trolls 2 straight to digital. As a result they said future films will go to cinemas and direct to homes. Odean have thus banned Universal films from their cinemas.

Yeah, that's hyperbole. If anything, it could result in the opposite. People like the social aspect, the experience of going out to the theatre. Kids and adults alike. Especially kids. I include myself in this. It's just not the same watching the latest feature length film at home. Some films are made for the big screen, and nothing will change that. Unless VR becomes a thing where you can watch in a virtual theatre on a imax without leaving the door, but that's something for the future.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51514 on: April 30, 2020, 02:43:05 am »

Sadly I think the audience for a kid's movie during a pandemic is about the best possible situation. I'd rather have them all at home but I doubt Fast 9 would do as well at home as it does in the theatre.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #51515 on: April 30, 2020, 04:12:08 am »
I recently saw it the first time and is very good. Better than most courtroom dramas, although no 12 Angry Men
Nothing will touch !2 Angry Men . Newman and Mason are excellent but people rate this as a Bona Fide classic and how can the Jury give that decision after the testimony was stricken from the record  ;D
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51516 on: April 30, 2020, 06:14:42 am »
Sad day for fans of Slumdog Millionaire, The Darjeeling Limited and Life of Pi with the passing of Irrfan Khan from a colon infection, aged 53. He had previously been diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour in 2018.

One of few Indian actors whose work I actually seek out nowadays. Sad day for India cinema.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51517 on: April 30, 2020, 10:45:18 am »
Apocalypse Now isn't even Coppola's best film, The Conversation is. Then there's The Godfather, absolute genius.

What a run, The Godfather, The Conversation, Godfather 2, Apocalypse Now. Best run of films from any American director.
Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Lolita, Dr Strangelove, 2001, Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket
...isn't a bad run like

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51518 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:13 am »
One of few Indian actors whose work I actually seek out nowadays. Sad day for India cinema.
A titan. Going to watch the Lunchbox again in remembrance.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #51519 on: April 30, 2020, 01:13:26 pm »
He was also great at In Treatment. A fantastic performance there as well.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.