The Liverpool FC Forum > Opinion

End of season round table debate (*)

<< < (69/70) > >>

MDougal:
Rightly or wrongly we have mostly been split into 3 camps, keep Rodgers, sack Rodgers, or keep him until one of the bigger name managers tells the world he wants to come and manage Liverpool Football Club.
To me it's not that important now as a group of fans where you or I lie in terms of that choice, the choice has been made by the owners and whether we like it or not they are i fact the owners and have that authority to make these decisions.

I think at this point probably the biggest decision to make is the structure of the club as I do genuinely believe with the finances we have got and have shown to be willing to spend irrespective of where it came from since these owners bought the club, we could compete at the top levels of English football with an outside chance of winning in Europe (which unless your name is Barcelona) is all you can really expect in such a demanding competition that the European cup is.

I don't profess that I know the workings of clubs around Europe but through observations simply with my own eyes you can see the plans the likes of  Porto, Sevilla, Lyon, have had to try to break into that top tier of European football but as these clubs are of smaller reputation than say Liverpool they have struggled to either make the impact at home in Sevilla case or Europe with Porto or Lyon, but the way they have set up their off field team to be in a position to sell then bring the next in line in to the club has allowed for success (certainly for Sevilla and Porto).

Now many people have talked of not becoming a selling club like these clubs obviously are and whilst I agree in principle there are 2 factors to take into consideration and they are the current position the club finds itself in where if you take the last 5-6 years positions in the league barring last year simply put us in the position of being liable to have our better players leave and secondly barring Real Madrid and Barcelona maybe Bayern everybody else are a selling club it just depends on supply and demand.

I really think if we can sort out the off field team (and this maybe something we never do under the current owners) we could look at the obvious example like Dortmund who have had success with that particular model of allowing the manager to get the best out of his players and a football man above him to coordinate the scouting etc to find the Lewandowski and Kagawa of this world, and with our undoubted name in world football with a level of success we would find it easier to keep the better players, but it is a case of having to start somewhere and if that means taking chances on players that have had success abroad and then repeating that success here it's my view we should look at that model and embrace it and not be scared of it, and accept from time to time while hopefully building the clubs name again we may lose the odd player along the way, we would be in a much better position to rebuild the block in the wall we had just lost.

For me the example we should look at and its not a knee jerk from the European cup final is Juventus.
Take when they were relegated yes they kept some very good players and yes the dip Milan have had since from where they were and Inter collapse from the treble they won, Juventus set along a path of choosing a style of play, choosing the type of player they would need to fulfil that style and taking the odd risk along the way (Vidal was hardly the household name he is now, Pirlo who was told he was too old to play at the highest level anymore and maybe most profitable for them in the long run taking Pogba and promising him first team football) which has now led to 4 successive titles and a European cup final.

Now no one will convince me we are in a worse off position to Juventus be it financially (especially with the tv deal etc) or in terms of the name and stature of the club, and certainly the English league is more desirable these days than Italy, so we could easily in my view put the club in a position to succeed with making the right choices now, and with the current crop of young players we have at the club, if we just took the shackles off and allowed ourself the odd older statesman with experience like Juventus did with Pirlo and take the odd chance with someone who has lit up a smaller European league but may be a risk like a Vidal was etc we in my view can put ourself in with a chance of success again.

To me that is the biggest hope that we have of turning round what the last 5 years has become and I just hope the current owners or Rodgers (less likely to be fair) decide to plan something similar.

mercurial:
I would put my trust in Brendan as he has shown evidence of his ability to get results over last 2 seasons. Where did we end up before he came, 7th. He has given us 2nd and 6th place finish. Even that 6th is probably closer to 4th that we don't give credit for. Just like we do not give credit to Brendan but to Suarez. In March we were looking close to 4th and could have done so if only we had a striker.

In the end it boils down to just that, we did not have good strikers and the ones we did buy did not perform. Is brendan to blame for that? well maybe but then this season will give us more answers. To sack a manager based on one bad season is stupid. 62 points haul without a striker in the premier league is mighty difficult for any team. So it a bad season but it is a great season as well as it shows we can get 62 without strikers. So given good strikers can we not get another 10 points? I would wait to see the answer to this question before raising fingers at Brendan. Sometimes we probably think we know to much about football when we do not and especially cause we base it on derived knowledge we get from the digital pundits. It is like a layman expounding on sacking a CEO of a company. We do not know what it takes for that job and the technicality of it. We can only comment when results go badly for a couple of years but even then management changes are made before you chop the head. I think we are going through that phase of management changes and things do turn around if correct changes are made. Except that in football everyone thinks they are technical experts at evaluating the role of the CEO of which they have no fucking idea.

jambutty:
Not much bitching about FSG now, is there?

They've put their money where their mouth is, refused to buckle to the Sterling pressure and added more young players to our mix by stumping up the cash and getting the deals done early.

Makes a nice change.

Be nice if some of their big critics on here would give 'em a well done.  And if not, at least stay off their backs at the first sign of disappointment.

Sudden Death Draft Loser:

--- Quote from: Timbo's Goals on May 30, 2015, 11:12:35 am ---

In essence the manager was ultimately compelled to field a team without a striker for virtually an entire season

--- End quote ---

Nonsense: IIRC  Balotelli, Borini and Lambert were fit for the majority of the season.

bodyjohn:

--- Quote from: John C on May 24, 2015, 11:17:43 pm ---Great post mate and the bit in bold is the killer line for me as an old arse that witnessed continuity succeed which even included a young Kenny.

My opinion from when I joined RAWK in 2006 has changed, I use to think we deserved a place at the top of the table, now I believe we have to earn it. Mismanagement, miss-spent funds, distractions and deviations have turned us in to a swamp of misfits.

--- End quote ---

Completely agree with your opinion mate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version