Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3305689 times)

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #26960 on: May 17, 2022, 11:23:21 am »
Speaking on behalf of the virgins, thought it was a bit thin-skinned myself. But I did appreciate the second pink that wasn't just noise.

I moaned about the post City semi-final Pink on here. For half the pod I thought it was mainly background noise and the slurring of someone who was drunk. That's why I provided feedback (looking back too harshly in some respects).

I'm not bothered about what John said at the start of the FA Cup final Pink. In fact I chuckled at it. TAW have obviously taken feedback on board given the way they've done the Pink since. Equally John has the right to respond. He did that on Saturday. Some will see it as a bit prickly. Others won't. I doubt anyone is unsubscribing on the back of it.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26961 on: May 17, 2022, 12:29:30 pm »
John's little 'ha-ha's' when he's had a few and on cloud nine after a win are great.

Offline Thiago12291

• Thinks we’re a fucking mess and it’s down to Jurgen
  • Main Stander
« Reply #26962 on: May 18, 2022, 09:07:14 pm »
Does saying the audio on today's review was absolutely appalling make me a rawk virgin?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #26963 on: May 18, 2022, 10:26:23 pm »
It was all tongue in cheek - like you say we listened to the feedback and we did two to cater for both. I wouldn't take anything from the pink too seriously!

How people can get upset over it is baffling.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26964 on: May 18, 2022, 11:09:24 pm »
How people can get upset over it is baffling.

you could say the same about Gibbo. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26965 on: May 19, 2022, 09:35:44 am »
Only just listened to this weeks Three Strikes show but the talk about Jake Daniels and gay footballers was really interesting.  Top work

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26966 on: May 19, 2022, 09:40:10 am »
Only just listened to this weeks Three Strikes show but the talk about Jake Daniels and gay footballers was really interesting.  Top work

Damian Kavanagh was superb on the Man City weirdness too. I dip in and out, mostly because we're pinching pennies a little these days, but he's a great contributor. Massive Dan Morgan fan too.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26967 on: May 19, 2022, 09:41:24 am »
Does saying the audio on today's review was absolutely appalling make me a rawk virgin?

Haha ;D
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #26968 on: May 19, 2022, 11:22:34 am »
you could say the same about Gibbo. 
The thing is, this thread is a pretty good way of speaking directly to the people who run TAW; it often praises the content but also offers criticism and will occasionally step over the line in a personal way. While that is broadly useful, there's also the reality that there exists a 675 page critique on a very popular Liverpool forum that is making fairly granular criticisms of a small set of people's place of work. This is obviously going to be taken personally on some level. Feedback in work is often par for the course but to have it dumped on the internet in a manner that is occasionally overdone may well illicit a spikey or pointed response...especially if the target of the criticism doesn't overly agree or appreciate the tone of the feedback.

In short, folk on RAWK have less skin in the game so there isn't an equivalency if and when folk on TAW snap back a bit. It means a great deal more to them to get these things right than it does to the casual poster on RAWK being a bit moody.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26969 on: May 19, 2022, 11:54:12 am »
I can see both sides of this, but it's a bit more nuanced.

The thread has helped the Wrap promote and grow their business, it then also acted as a place to provide feedback, which based on replies from the Wrap lads that post here has been largely welcomed. But if feedback given in good faith isn't being seen to be taken seriously then I can see why some paying customers may have an issue with that.

On the other hand, I'd hate for my work to be open to ongoing scrutiny - it's certainly not for me because I'd ignore the 95% of good feedback and obsess over the 5% not so good. That said, when the whole model is about producing output for people to buy, comments, feedback and opinion come with the territory. I'm sure the Wrap would prefer feedback to silent cancellations. Like any business, honest feedback is vital to its ongoing success.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26970 on: May 19, 2022, 12:02:45 pm »
If RAWK as a site couldn't take a slagging, it would never have gotten past its first year. We do people's heads in on here. :)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26971 on: May 19, 2022, 12:04:47 pm »
I've quit TAW for few years now, mostly as I didn't have as much time and have spent my available time listening to music and audiobooks instead. But recently I bought some credits in their app to catch up on the end of the season shows and I have to say the app is miles away from what it was initially after launch when I last used it. Great work, I assume it took a lot of effort. Used to prefer using the Apple Podcast app, but now I think I prefer the TAW app for their shows - it works really well. Well done on sticking with it and making it as good.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26972 on: May 19, 2022, 12:14:33 pm »
I've quit TAW for few years now, mostly as I didn't have as much time and have spent my available time listening to music and audiobooks instead. But recently I bought some credits in their app to catch up on the end of the season shows and I have to say the app is miles away from what it was initially after launch when I last used it. Great work, I assume it took a lot of effort. Used to prefer using the Apple Podcast app, but now I think I prefer the TAW app for their shows - it works really well. Well done on sticking with it and making it as good.
The benefits of this thread!
I'm an ex subscriber, due to time and also only a fairly narrow range of content really appealing to me. I didn't realise there was a pay as you go option.

I wrote a while back that quality wise the Wrap is head and shoulders above anything else I've listened to. Some others have not gone beyond 10 mins before I switched off. I want to support in some way, but couldn't justify a sub for perhaps 1 or 2 shows a week. This offers a good half way house.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26973 on: May 19, 2022, 12:49:17 pm »
The thing is, this thread is a pretty good way of speaking directly to the people who run TAW; it often praises the content but also offers criticism and will occasionally step over the line in a personal way. While that is broadly useful, there's also the reality that there exists a 675 page critique on a very popular Liverpool forum that is making fairly granular criticisms of a small set of people's place of work. This is obviously going to be taken personally on some level. Feedback in work is often par for the course but to have it dumped on the internet in a manner that is occasionally overdone may well illicit a spikey or pointed response...especially if the target of the criticism doesn't overly agree or appreciate the tone of the feedback.

In short, folk on RAWK have less skin in the game so there isn't an equivalency if and when folk on TAW snap back a bit. It means a great deal more to them to get these things right than it does to the casual poster on RAWK being a bit moody.

that works both ways too.

If you run a business, then some customers will be unhappy, its natural. Generally criticism is tandem with a compliment.

To have a go at those customers when they are paying to listen to you, will annoy people. The onus on having thick skin is not on the paying listener
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #26974 on: May 19, 2022, 12:56:49 pm »
that works both ways too.

If you run a business, then some customers will be unhappy, its natural. Generally criticism is tandem with a compliment.

To have a go at those customers when they are paying to listen to you, will annoy people. The onus on having thick skin is not on the paying listener
But those being criticised don't have the same licence to offer equivalent barbs back. Some criticism is heavy and overdone. A pretty mild dig at RAWK is arguably not as heavy as what is written in here by some.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26975 on: May 19, 2022, 01:15:52 pm »
But those being criticised don't have the same licence to offer equivalent barbs back. Some criticism is heavy and overdone. A pretty mild dig at RAWK is arguably not as heavy as what is written in here by some.

clearly they do have the same licence, They can reply on RAWK if theyre that arsed, and sometimes they have done  or they can criticise listeners on the podcast
Important to remember that these guys make a living from assessing performance, they do so as paying supporters.  The same as subscribers assessing them

The in-stadium Pinks at Old Trafford and Villareal worked well, but when John gets too pissed, they dont. 

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #26976 on: May 19, 2022, 01:18:29 pm »
clearly they do have the same licence, They can reply on RAWK if theyre that arsed, and sometimes they have done  or they can criticise listeners on the podcast
Important to remember that these guys make a living from assessing performance, they do so as paying supporters.  The same as subscribers assessing them

The in-stadium Pinks at Old Trafford and Villareal worked well, but when John gets too pissed, they dont. 
My point wasn’t that they can’t reply to the criticism, my point is that they’re unable to meet the occasional harshness with their own equivalent riposte.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26977 on: May 19, 2022, 01:30:05 pm »
My point wasn’t that they can’t reply to the criticism, my point is that they’re unable to meet the occasional harshness with their own equivalent riposte.

Mate, a Riposte is literally a reply to criticism

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #26978 on: May 19, 2022, 01:34:04 pm »
Mate, a Riposte is literally a reply to criticism
I know. But that wasn’t my point.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26979 on: May 19, 2022, 01:38:50 pm »

I know. But that wasn’t my point.

my point is that they’re unable to meet the occasional harshness with their own equivalent riposte.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #26980 on: May 19, 2022, 01:51:39 pm »
If RAWK as a site couldn't take a slagging, it would never have gotten past its first year. We do people's heads in on here. :)

Definitely this.

And it's not just oppositions fans or opposition fan forums.

It's part of our own fanbase as times since RAWK isn't necessarily that reflective of the match going Liverpool support that some other forums were/are.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #26981 on: May 19, 2022, 01:56:32 pm »
Definitely. I took a break for a couple years and came back this year too. Really impressed with how the app works on my android phone. Sound quality is top notch, and I really enjoy new content like the Bacon Butty and On the Whistle. Gareth Roberts still my favourite character on there, and Lizzy Doyle. Top lass.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #26982 on: May 19, 2022, 02:11:23 pm »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26983 on: May 19, 2022, 03:02:21 pm »
The benefits of this thread!
I'm an ex subscriber, due to time and also only a fairly narrow range of content really appealing to me. I didn't realise there was a pay as you go option.

I wrote a while back that quality wise the Wrap is head and shoulders above anything else I've listened to. Some others have not gone beyond 10 mins before I switched off. I want to support in some way, but couldn't justify a sub for perhaps 1 or 2 shows a week. This offers a good half way house.

Oh yes, it's a great and nicely priced way to get plenty of content, what you want and when you want it. Will definitely do it again once proper 'Gutter Season' starts. :D

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26984 on: May 19, 2022, 07:04:44 pm »
Anyone else having an issue with the app saying you do not have a subscription even though you do?

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26985 on: May 19, 2022, 08:31:21 pm »

Fucking hell. :lmao you definitely strike me as someone who has never been to a game. Drink away John, drink away.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26986 on: May 19, 2022, 08:50:42 pm »
Fucking hell. :lmao you definitely strike me as someone who has never been to a game. Drink away John, drink away.

:lmao
Do I ?  Ive been to pretty much every home league game for the past 4 years. plus some cup games plus some aways.
Sorry to disappoint you.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26987 on: May 19, 2022, 08:56:32 pm »
:lmao
Do I ?  Ive been to pretty much every home league game for the past 4 years. plus some cup games plus some aways.
Sorry to disappoint you.

I hope you are nowhere near me on Sunday! :P

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26988 on: May 19, 2022, 08:57:45 pm »
I hope you are nowhere near me on Sunday! :P

Sound. Not sure why youre being a prick, but ok   :wave

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26989 on: May 19, 2022, 10:19:53 pm »
Sound. Not sure why youre being a prick, but ok   :wave

Might want to take some of your own advice before criticising someone for enjoying the match and having a few drinks with their mates along the way.

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #26990 on: May 19, 2022, 11:23:16 pm »
People don't begrudge anyone getting hammered and enjoying the game. But they are working are they not? The people scheduled to appear on a pink after the game are working. I don't think people who are paying to listen to what they have to say after the game, are expecting much by being able to understand a word they are saying.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26991 on: May 19, 2022, 11:26:40 pm »
Fucking hell. This thread is becoming a parody. :lmao

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #26992 on: May 19, 2022, 11:31:41 pm »
Fucking hell. This thread is becoming a parody. :lmao

How so?

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26993 on: May 20, 2022, 05:10:16 am »
How so?

There is a collection of posters on this forum that have a weird thing with criticism of virtually any kind. It is best to just ignore them.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26994 on: May 20, 2022, 07:11:45 am »
Might want to take some of your own advice before criticising someone for enjoying the match and having a few drinks with their mates along the way.

Thats not what Ive done though. Dont worry I know you wont be near me on Sunday, all the people who sit around me are sound.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26995 on: May 20, 2022, 07:40:14 am »
Alright folks - if you’ve got a burning desire for an Anchorman-style throwdown over whether The Pink should or should not be well oiled or whether Gibbo should have a dig at this thread, then I could start a new thread for you, or you could take it to DM.

Saying that, could you maybe relax a wee bit? 12 years ago there was no platform for the fans’ voice that carried much weight; now if there’s a talking point the go to vox pops are people like Gibbo. I was driving home on Tuesday after the game and 5 Live were discussing the situation with Harriet Prior. That’s down to this lot and the others like them… but this lot are the gold standard.

And being pissed isn’t always a bad thing in broadcasting. The Pink after the 5-0 away to Spurs in 2014 is my favourite TAW podcast so far, other than maybe the Barca Pink and the Everton Origi and Curtis Jones ones. All featured people who were pissed, and Michael Fassbender.

Offline cheesyleps

• Kemlynite
« Reply #26996 on: May 20, 2022, 11:58:55 am »
When I drove a taxi for a living, I had a regular customer who was lovely. She booked me twice a week for her run to the hairdressers on a Wednesday and to the shops on a Thursday. For two and a half years, I did all the customer service stuff: carrying her shopping from the door to the car, and from the car to her kitchen, helping her in and out of the cab, knocking a bit off the fare etc. I was the best taxi driver in the world according to her.

One day I was 10 minutes late as I got stuck at some roadworks. She absolutely went for me, calling me everything under the sun, saying she would put bad reviews online and tell all her mates not to use me...

The nature of the customer service game is that people can be massively unforgiving bellends. TAW has been superbly high quality stuff for years now. Anyone still whining about one iffy post-match show really needs to have a look in the mirror.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26997 on: May 20, 2022, 12:12:01 pm »
Theres a lot of people really missing the point, anyway.

Three Strikes was brilliant.  Does anyone know if theres any more Midnight Rambler. I really enjoy Neil and Rory chewing the fat

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #26998 on: May 20, 2022, 12:15:00 pm »
One just dropped for me about half an hour ago.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26999 on: May 20, 2022, 12:17:25 pm »
One just dropped for me about half an hour ago.
Yes me too now. just done a refresh. Thanks