Author Topic: Man Utd vs Liverpool-In Game Commentary & Post game shite...  (Read 151406 times)

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
Re: Man Utd vs Liverpool-In Game Commentary & Post game shite...
« Reply #1240 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:10 pm »
That post of El Camps deserves to be on the main page.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #1241 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:13 pm »

they didn't even play you div
think it was sarcasm mate.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #1242 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:19 pm »
Shot me down, but I thinks time Carra was dropped.

He hasn't played consistently well for some time and in my view had a poor season last year.

It pains me to say it, because I love Carra but he has no spring left in him when he jumps.
We won it 5 times........

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:27 pm »
I think he was messing....

I've come down a bit from my emotional wreck and have just thought fuck this. Northampton Wednesday and get us into the hat.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #1244 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:53 pm »

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1245 on: September 19, 2010, 07:53:12 pm »

they didn't even play you div

Pssst - I think you need to rmove that hook from your mush.

And the post to be honest!
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: September 19, 2010, 07:53:25 pm »
How many Premiership games away have we won in 2010 under Rafa and Roy? two? The mighty Burnley who else?
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1247 on: September 19, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1248 on: September 19, 2010, 07:54:46 pm »
How many Premiership games away have we won in 2010 under Rafa and Roy? two? The mighty Burnley who else?
A bit harsh on Roy there. United, City and Brum (who haven't lost at home for nearly a year).

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: September 19, 2010, 07:55:10 pm »
I'm not criticizing....

Great post mate. You just hope people read these things.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: September 19, 2010, 07:56:21 pm »
A bit harsh on Roy there. United, City and Brum (who haven't lost at home for nearly a year).
Quite the opposite, my point is even under Rafa our away form this year has been rubbish.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #1251 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57:02 pm »
Some of you on Roy's back already- you can fuck right off.

The attitude of some of our fans sickens me.  :no :no
We won it 5 times........

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1252 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57:03 pm »
Tatty bye Roy. You useless piece of shit.

Precisely why I'm using this site less and less these days.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Purple Aki Fitness Club

• Main Stander
  • Student Discounts Available!
« Reply #1253 on: September 19, 2010, 07:58:00 pm »

Carra said that last year nobody liked us. Good. Now everybody likes us and Mr Alex Ferguson states he thought we´d get 10. Just choose what you like better.

in a nutshell

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #1254 on: September 19, 2010, 07:58:04 pm »
Yes. We lost.
We have 5 points from 5 games and sitting 16th in the table, but don't let it fool you.

we are 3, and I repeat THREE points off the 4th spot.

We have played 4 of the toughest PL fixtures of any team and now we have 5 relatively easier fixtures in front of us, and after those 5 games we'll truly be able to judge our team, players and manager for this season.

Sunderland HOME
Blackpool HOME
Everton AWAY
Blackburn HOME
Bolton AWAY

so far, we have got the same amount of points as last year in identical fixtures (of those 5 teams we've played)...now the next 5 games could make a difference, and then we can look at the table to see where we stand. don't let the table fool you now.

today, for the first time we were able to field Torres, Gerrard, Meireles and Cole together, and we played some good possession passing football at times. 2 through balls from Cole and Meireles resulted in our 2 goals. the chemistry will just improve in my opinion . Poulsen finally started playing in second half and was our best player of H2 after Gerrard.

if we beat our next 2 home fixtures, things will look good again, and then we can go to Goodison with some kind of momentum.

again, we are only 3 points off the 4th spot, having played 4 very difficult fixtures, and new players and style still adapting. I noticed we passed the ball 5 times more this game as opposed to the game @ Brum.
much more passing in defense, even Skrtel was forced to pass more. I think things will definitely get better with time.

now let's get behind our boys, to start gaining their confidence back by hammering Northamptontown on wednesday night.

YNWA

Support the Team, Support the Players, Support the Manager.

YANKS OUT

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #1255 on: September 19, 2010, 07:58:47 pm »
Precisely why I'm using this site less and less these days.
The gems of posts like El C has just posted get lost amongst whoperrs airing their weekly tirade of shite.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: September 19, 2010, 08:01:06 pm »
Someone tell me how many away games we have won in 2010?

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #1257 on: September 19, 2010, 08:01:46 pm »
When we get 10 points from our next 4 games, everyone will be back saying we've got a great chance of 4th.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline paranoidmike

• They're watching me, I swear.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1258 on: September 19, 2010, 08:02:11 pm »
Yes. We lost.
We have 5 points from 5 games and sitting 16th in the table, but don't let it fool you.

we are 3, and I repeat THREE points off the 4th spot.

We have played 4 of the toughest PL fixtures of any team and now we have 5 relatively easier fixtures in front of us, and after those 5 games we'll truly be able to judge our team, players and manager for this season.

Sunderland HOME
Blackpool HOME
Everton AWAY
Blackburn HOME
Bolton AWAY

so far, we have got the same amount of points as last year in identical fixtures (of those 5 teams we've played)...now the next 5 games could make a difference, and then we can look at the table to see where we stand. don't let the table fool you now.

today, for the first time we were able to field Torres, Gerrard, Meireles and Cole together, and we played some good possession passing football at times. 2 through balls from Cole and Meireles resulted in our 2 goals. the chemistry will just improve in my opinion . Poulsen finally started playing in second half and was our best player of H2 after Gerrard.

if we beat our next 2 home fixtures, things will look good again, and then we can go to Goodison with some kind of momentum.

again, we are only 3 points off the 4th spot, having played 4 very difficult fixtures, and new players and style still adapting. I noticed we passed the ball 5 times more this game as opposed to the game @ Brum.
much more passing in defense, even Skrtel was forced to pass more. I think things will definitely get better with time.

now let's get behind our boys, to start gaining their confidence back by hammering Northamptontown on wednesday night.

YNWA

Support the Team, Support the Players, Support the Manager.

YANKS OUT

You forget this team was hanging on at home to West Brom. No such thing as an easy game anymore, not with this team and Manager.

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1259 on: September 19, 2010, 08:02:48 pm »
Totally agree as i have said in a previous post below lets see how the season pans out as people are already drawing comparisons at such an early stage and all this Rafa V Roy is embarassing  . Yes were all unhappy we were beaten and even more so because its the Mancs but if comparisons need to be made then draw them up at the end of the season and base them upon last seasons performance by Rafa and this seasons performance by Roy .

Look who we lost points to last season and compare at the end , here it is

We have lost to Man City away and Man Utd away , so when we start losing to teams equal to Wigan Athletic , Sunderland , Portsmouth , Fulham aswell as losing to the usual suspects like Chelsea home and away and Arsenal home and away and Villa home and Spurs away and Utd away as per today and drawing with the likes Stoke , Blackburn , Wolves and West Brom and Birmingham just like we have already this , we have lots to moan about as take along hard look at last seasons campaign with what appears to be a squad stronger than what we have now and thats what happened , so let the season play out then judge the Managers imho .

Its not just that we have lost today, but the overall performance so far this season. That's 5 league games and another 5 games in Europe. That's a total of 10 games, some against good opposition and some against average opposition and yet we have failed to play good football for the full 90 mins in each of those games. Forget "good" football, we haven't even played controlled football.

As fans we are in panic mode because if things don't change soon enough, then the repercussions of this season will be huge. Want to wait till the end of season to compare Roy to Rafa, then go for it. I can tell you the answers now and save you the bother of waiting another 8 months.

Come end of season the likes of Torres, Reina, Kuyt, Gerrard, and others will all look to move on. the appointment of Roy will take us back decades especially if Hicks refinance and retains control of our club.

If we had signed a manager with notable credentials, then yes I would back him to get things right. Not because I am a blind fan, but rather because I am an intelligent fan. When Rafa came along, his first season was not exactly flattering in the league, but I was prepared to give him time because of his track record. Those that want to give Roy time, what are you basing it on?? Simply because he is our manager? Well that's very much sheep behavior. Very similar to the utd fans that wear the green scarf s over their  full utd home kit,!

Utterly clueless!!

This isn't personal against RH as I have stated previously.  This is down to cecil who replaced the old manager with an inferior one. What would have happened if we had replaced say Torres and Gerrard with Murphy and Zamora? Would you then say, let's wait till the end of the season before we compare the performances of who is actually better???

Wake up and smell the coffee dude!

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: September 19, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »
And what really annoys me is the fact that after only a couple of games played Roy comes out on a constant basis saying basically there´s nothing he can do because of the fact that there´s not enough money and Jamie Redknapp and all those shithouses happily agree. This is so poor, sooooo chicken and more than that it´s just wrong as an excuse for the performances on the pitch right now.

There were a lot of players coming in and a lot going out for next to nothing. IF we would really struggle money wise Torres would be gone in a minute.

It´s such a lame excuse and has nothing to do with the fact the Manchester dominated us in a way during the first 20 minutes  that I couldn´t believe my eyes. Considering the fact that THIS Manchester team is pretty average compared to what they were three years ago.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1261 on: September 19, 2010, 08:03:27 pm »
Not turning on the manager but to be honest, its been woeful so far. SO what that we've played City, Bham and United away. We've been dreadful in every single one.

Liverpool needs better than that - Roy needs to get this sorted fast. He can start by actually PRESSING and wanting to win the ball.

Anyway i took on the train to the shithole today and have got back unscathed. Just a pity we didnt get something out of the game. Was boss when we equalised.

There is no shittier city in the world than manchester. FACT
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1262 on: September 19, 2010, 08:04:15 pm »
Oh and i assume to dickheads on TV were showing our shitty man marking system come apart and cost us again, were they?
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #1263 on: September 19, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »

You forget this team was hanging on at home to West Brom. No such thing as an easy game anymore, not with this team and Manager.

we were missing 3 of our starting players. 2 of them which bring a lot of creativity to our team.

I doubt we'll see Poulsen-Lucas partnership as long as Raul, Stevie and Cole are fit and not suspended.

I am sure we'll perform 3 times as good as that game in our next home fixture.

guess time will tell. that said, WBA aren't really that bad this year, are they ?

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: September 19, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »
Oh and i assume to dickheads on TV were showing our shitty man marking system come apart and cost us again, were they?

You know the answer.

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:15 pm »
And what really annoys me is the fact that after only a couple of games played Roy comes out on a constant basis saying basically there´s nothing he can do because of the fact that there´s not enough money and Jamie Redknapp and all those shithouses happily agree. This is so poor, sooooo chicken and more than that it´s just wrong as an excuse for the performances on the pitch right now.

There were a lot of players coming in and a lot going out for next to nothing. IF we would really struggle money wise Torres would be gone in a minute.

It´s such a lame excuse and has nothing to do with the fact the Manchester dominated us in a way during the first 20 minutes  that I couldn´t believe my eyes. Considering the fact that THIS Manchester team is pretty average compared to what they were three years ago.
Didn't see the game mate but totally agree, complaining about money is a joke no matter how true and a very poor bloody excuse. Glad I missed the game. I said two months before I judge and two months it will be. Fuck the media and press, even though I work in the fucking industry sports pages I have been avoiding for years now.

Truth is we are looking very ordinary, but it is not all Roy's fault, we were pretty shyte last year too  perhaps not in this magnitude, but no denying how poor some of our games were last year, it has just carried on and at times looks to have got worse, no new manger bounce for us that is for sure.

And this is definitely one of the most out of form Man U teams we have faced in ages.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:11:22 pm by Twelfth Man »

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #1266 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »

No matter what people say on this thread, THIS happened only 18 months ago ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGAusKj8FPI
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #1267 on: September 19, 2010, 08:11:04 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGAusKj8FPI

Your point being?

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: September 19, 2010, 08:12:54 pm »

Only 18 FUCKING MONTH!!!!!

I have to search for that quote of Fat Scousers were he stated that everybody who wanted Rafa out will wish him back by christmas at the latest as we will be in more shite than everbody can possibly imagine. I knew he was right...

Offline redmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • Y N W A
« Reply #1269 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:03 pm »
Great post by El Camp. I miss Rafa even more than I did this morning now though!

Biggest mistake in the history of the club aside from Moores monumental fuck up.

Offline karrmadamaii

• Main Stander
  • I'm standing in the Main.
    • A Yard Ahead
« Reply #1270 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:45 pm »
From memory...in the league:

Arsenal 2005 3-1
Chelsea 2005 - 1-4
Everton 2006 - 3-0
Arsenal 2006 - 3-0
Reading 2007 3-1
ManUtd 2008 - 3-0
Arsenal 2009 - 4-4
Villa 2009 - 1-3

It's pretty pointless, but nonetheless =P

Non-PL:

Chelsea 2005 2-3 (League Cup Final)

Luton 2006 5-3 (FA Cup 3rd)
West Ham 2006 3-3 (FA Cup Final)

Galatasaray 2006 2-3 (UCL Matchday 6)
Reading 2006 4-3 (League Cup 3rd)
Arsenal 2007 3-6 (League Cup QF2)
Arsenal 2007 1-3 (FA CUp 3rd)

Chelsea 2008 2-3 (UCL SF2)

Spurs 2008 2-4 (League Cup 4th)
Chelsea 2009 1-3 (UCL QF1)
Chelsea 2009 4-4 (UCL QF2)

We've also let in 3 or more 5 times in pre-season friendlies. Not too shabby eh?

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #1271 on: September 19, 2010, 08:15:31 pm »
Ah, that wasn't so bad, wasn't it? We only lost 3-2. Hey, we managed to score two goals away. If we win 1-0 or 2-1 at home, it means we beat them this season, right? Oh, joy! Roy is definitely a better manager than Rafa, who was only able to get one goal there last season with so many better players. Forwards and Onwards. YNWA!  :scarf
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #1272 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:09 pm »

We are stuggling money wise? We sold Masch and brought in Poulsen for fuck's sake!

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1273 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:20 pm »
I was long debating whether I should post anything here or not. There are some nice analyses and some utter shite, all combined under the same title. Well, we lost. It is what it is. Roy said that this is the game that will show how strong we are, and it did. Positive things cabeans shod be taken from the game, but we so far averaged a point a game. Dismal. Playing style - what style? There are many changes from last season, gaffer, style, duties, personnel, etc. But the most important changeS on the field is missing - change of confidence and motivation. And maybe Roy can do something about that, maybe it's beyond him. But I feel that he needs to be given a chance. And I don't mean the fans, because I couldn't care less about those who are dissatisfied with the table position and playing style. I mean the only change that is a real change, not papering the crcks - chang of ownership. Tom and Gearge, get the fuck out of our club! Now! We will never turn the corner if we don't drive them out, never!

So those of you who feel the fate of the club at heart, there are a number of threads asking for your help. Get emailing those who can help Tommy boy bury us! You don't have to brag about it, but please do it. The result today, those before and those still to come will mean nothing otherwise. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1274 on: September 19, 2010, 08:17:35 pm »
Ah, that wasn't so bad, wasn't it? We only lost 3-2. Hey, we managed to score two goals away. If we win 1-0 or 2-1 at home, it means we beat them this season, right? Oh, joy! Roy is definitely a better manager than Rafa, who was only able to get one goal there last season with so many better players. Forwards and Onwards. YNWA!  :scarf

WTF?

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #1275 on: September 19, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
Tatty bye Roy. You useless piece of shit.

Going somewhere?

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #1276 on: September 19, 2010, 08:24:18 pm »
Ok... first 5 games out of the way and where are we?

Truth is we have had a very tough start but from now on the fixtures get a bit easier. True we have under performed and personally I was looking for 4pts minimum from the first 4 games (Arsenal, City, Brum and United) so that is a little dissapointing but we are where we are.

Still little or no faith in the manger but I'm giving him until Christmas to at least show signs of improvement. If he does then ok, if not then its time for reflection I feel.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:25:53 pm by Shanks1965 »
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline majestic_11

• Remembers Houllier's Champions League winning campaign fondly
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK OG
« Reply #1277 on: September 19, 2010, 08:25:31 pm »
carragher and maxi really had it tough today. I don't know why people are like worrying...well yes, the fixture had come at the wrong time as we're already in a shit table position, but we actually played well, and berbatov was in form, that's all...but still, the way berbatov scored hatrick, it was so stupid and like...why why why???

And as for the previous comments... true, no atatcking flair besides joe cole... torres isn't bothered anymore.... he wont be here, ...man, we need new striker, and maxi just didnt do well.... and we gave cheap goals in today, very cheap..I mean Berbatov??? BERBATOV?!??!?!?

no we didn't........forget the game for a second.....we are set up to defend our own 18 line with two banks of four, we don't press the ball, we never win the ball back in the opponents half, we are not quick enough to break when we win it deep in our half! They looked like scoring every time they went forward! Rafa first task was to move the defensive line forward 10 yards and the idea was to get the two centre midfielders to press high up the pitch so we can build out own attacks in the oppostion half!

All that hard work undone, we are using Houlliers tactics! Roys post match and pre-match interviews were disgusting....how fucking dare he! First job is to contain utd cos there are a quality side...FFS we are lpool! Our starting eleven was better then theres...but we were rubbish!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: September 19, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »
Not turning on the manager but to be honest, its been woeful so far. SO what that we've played City, Bham and United away. We've been dreadful in every single one.

Liverpool needs better than that - Roy needs to get this sorted fast. He can start by actually PRESSING and wanting to win the ball.

Ok but how's about we point the finger at the players for a change? Rafa couldn't get them going last season and so far Roy hasn't got them going this season. Maybe it's not entirely the fault of the manager. We DO have SOME top class players on BIG money. And yet they seem impervious to ANY criticism.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: September 19, 2010, 08:28:36 pm »
I'm not criticizing Hodgson because he was brought in by this board - I'm only suggesting that he doesn't get the automatic support that I gave other managers because of it. That's not something I can explain, it's just my own personal feelings. I've personally been against many decisions that the board and the owners have taken. It would take something special for me to line up unquestioningly behind one of their decisions, because their track record is, frankly, shit.

Like I suggested, and you picked up on, Hodgson's football results on the pitch may take me from "uncomfortable observer of Hodgson's appointment" to "outright proponent of the Hodgson Way". So far, he's really given me little to suggest the change was for footballing reasons, that we got a superior manager in the footballing sense for the 11.5 million quid we spent to upgrade managers. But football's an afterthought.

Business wise, the direction is alarming. The squad is getting older in a hurry due to the age of his recruits and the age of the Rafa-era players that Hodgson has chosen to keep, and the money's running out. We'll have to replace Konchesky, Kuyt, Gerrard, Carra, Maxi, Cole, Poulsen, Jovanovic, Kyrgiakos, and Aurelio within the next 3 years. Even Torres, Meireles and Johnson are the wrong side of 25. Even if this flock of players starts bringing in results, we're gonna be fucked soon. We don't have any Patos or Messis on our team. The youngest player who has a claim to the word "starter" is Lucas, and he's the most picked on member of this team, and I don't expect him to be around for much longer. Insua is gone. Ayala is on loan. Mikel San Jose starts for Bilbao. Two kids were swapped for Konchesky. Nemeth is in Greece. The Riojas bought for 2015 are being popped without any thought to Best Drinking Date.

But getting back to Rafa - I disagree with your statement that "we" thought he should have gone for the jugular when he "settled" for something less. Rafa had the right approach - first become dead hard to beat, then worry about converting the draws into wins. Everyone bitched about the draws in 2008/2009 - well I'd give my left arsecheek for that many draws every season. Every season Baz. I would take that many draws every season. Let me say that again so that there is no confusion. I would take that many draws every league campaign.

You know why? Because Rafa had it right - with that many draws, and taking something like 14 points from top 4 teams (that's sick) we still had the most points that any second place team ever had. If we did that every year, we'd be within shouting distance of the title every season. Most of us just cannot wrap our limited intellect around the fact that it's not about one hand; it's about getting to the final table. Just because you create chances to see a flop, it doesn't mean you go all in every hand. It's a campaign. Fuck going for it every minute, instead be hard to beat and consistent. Take the points from home/away matchups against top opposition. That's it, djes. You don't need to go for broke against Stoke. Most times, Kuyt's opener counts, and Gerrard's shot goes in off the post. Meanwhile, you accumulate a war chest from Champions League revenue, and spend a percentage of it on a lot - a lot - of cheap, promising kids.

Instead, we did what Rafa always said not to do. We pushed harder than we should have in 2009/2010 when we didn't really have a chance at winning the hand, lost when it was obvious we weren't gonna win, took that as an indictment of Rafa and the whole fucking system, and then tilted madly. Victims of emotion. Pathetic really.

I can't speak for most people, Baz, but my discomfort with how we look now isn't about plucking random results and comparing them. It's about the entire tournament, indeed, the entire portfolio, not an isolated case by case comparison. Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged of Platini's jar. On any given day, Rafa's Rojas - a portfolio full of individual results that may look questionable in isolation - looked like something I'd put my money on. On any given day. You can't say that now. Would you fancy something out of an away trip to Inter Milan right now? Would you fuck. He'd fucking rip us to shreds, then look at his watch, the fat fuck.

Whether he bought Alonso for 10m or sold him for 30m, whether he bought Mascherano or sold Sissoko, whether Crouch fired blanks or became prolific for England, whether he swapped Josemi for Kromkamp (sp?) or Dudek for Reina, whether he played Gerrard on the right or off Torres, whether he "went for it" or "settled for a draw", whether he won in Istanbul or made 2 finals in 3 years, whether he stuck with Bellamy or bought Torres, on or off, whether his team conceded 4 to Arshavin or hit Chelsea for 4 at the Bridge - Rafa earned my respect, and my support because the longterm results were overwhelmingly positive. Random decisions and results mean nothing.

If Rafa were a fund, I'd invest in it. It looks like it would feature consistent performance, profits, and dividends - possibly boring, but those are usually stellart investments. I didn't disagree with any single individual thing Rafa did, especially not fucking subs or silly shit like "going for it" because I knew that over time, I was in the right hands. Day to day decisions may have indeed been random; but the long term results were on an upward trajectory. In his shittiest year, he came within minutes of a European final. That's long term results smoothed out for ya.

Unfortunately, some of us sound like folks who sold a longterm winner at the first sign of trouble, hopped onto a risky stock, and are now peering intently at the price over the last week, while alarm bells are ringing on the one year chart. "Oh it'll be alright, Rafa lost at Trafford too, it's not so bad," they say.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez