Author Topic: The War In Afghanistan  (Read 87197 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The War In Afghanistan
« Reply #1240 on: September 13, 2021, 07:58:51 pm »
Saw the Sky News report today showing exclusive first access of Bagram Prison, what a grim depressing place that looked for the prisoners, torture cells, 30 prisoners caged together in bigger cells that just looked absolute squalor.

I'm guessing a large percentage of released detainees in there joined the Taliban.

Presumably there will be talks for their release. Taliban aren't terrorists if they're now the legit government.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1241 on: September 13, 2021, 07:59:48 pm »
Any sources that aren't a youtube video?

...sources are cited in the video.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1242 on: September 13, 2021, 10:12:33 pm »
Saw the Sky News report today showing exclusive first access of Bagram Prison, what a grim depressing place that looked for the prisoners, torture cells, 30 prisoners caged together in bigger cells that just looked absolute squalor.

I'm guessing a large percentage of released detainees in there joined the Taliban.

Sky’s Alex Crawford the reporter on the ground with the Taliban. She has some balls that woman. Absolute star war reporter, no place on earth too dangerous for her and her crew.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: September 14, 2021, 01:00:01 am »
Sky’s Alex Crawford the reporter on the ground with the Taliban. She has some balls that woman. Absolute star war reporter, no place on earth too dangerous for her and her crew.

Without doubt one of the best war correspondents around. I was amazed to hear she is the parent of 4 children because she puts herself in some of the most dangerous places to report the facts to world.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline cress

• Main Stander
« Reply #1244 on: September 14, 2021, 10:02:04 pm »
Still boggles my mind why they pulled the troops out in fighting season and not just wait for the winter to kick in when it's too cold for fighting.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1245 on: September 14, 2021, 10:22:34 pm »
Still boggles my mind why they pulled the troops out in fighting season and not just wait for the winter to kick in when it's too cold for fighting.

What fighting ?  The Taliban struck deals & what transpired had been agreed upon before the US had been to the polls.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: September 14, 2021, 10:31:01 pm »

What fighting ?  The Taliban struck deals & what transpired had been agreed upon before the US had been to the polls.
Exactly, are there not still 18,000 + 'contractors' there, doing their own thing, swinging that Pentagon sofa round and round to empty out the missing cents
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: September 14, 2021, 11:04:11 pm »
Exactly, are there not still 18,000 + 'contractors' there, doing their own thing, swinging that Pentagon sofa round and round to empty out the missing cents

No

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1248 on: September 15, 2021, 05:26:24 pm »
Watching Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror on Netflix, and just finished an episode where they focused on Afghanistan. Everything I see about that occupation tells me it had to end. Obama should have ended it. It was an impossible situation - one soldier talked about how he went there with big dreams of helping people - then in his first week a normal looking villager walks up to the soldiers and detonates a suicide vest, killing 3 US and 2 Afghan soldiers. How do you think the soldiers reacted to Afghan villagers after that? And then how did peaceful Afghan villagers feel about the occupying soldiers?

One thing that stood out is that over here we think of the country as the Taliban vs the good guys, when in actuality these 'good guys' were often pretty disgusting villains themselves.

People can play Monday morning QB on the way the evacuation was handled if they want, but it had to happen and it was never going to be pretty. I think history will look kindly on Biden

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1249 on: September 15, 2021, 05:59:43 pm »
Watching Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror on Netflix, and just finished an episode where they focused on Afghanistan. Everything I see about that occupation tells me it had to end. Obama should have ended it. It was an impossible situation - one soldier talked about how he went there with big dreams of helping people - then in his first week a normal looking villager walks up to the soldiers and detonates a suicide vest, killing 3 US and 2 Afghan soldiers. How do you think the soldiers reacted to Afghan villagers after that? And then how did peaceful Afghan villagers feel about the occupying soldiers?

One thing that stood out is that over here we think of the country as the Taliban vs the good guys, when in actuality these 'good guys' were often pretty disgusting villains themselves.

People can play Monday morning QB on the way the evacuation was handled if they want, but it had to happen and it was never going to be pretty. I think history will look kindly on Biden

Just finished watching 'Bitter Lake' on iplayer. A bit disjointed at times but makes your point about the good guys/bad guys really well and a great insight into the historic Saudi input.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: September 17, 2021, 11:00:56 pm »
The American military in their desperate need for revenge not only accidentally kill innocent people but provide a recruitment tool for their enemies and give further ‘proof’ to Trump of their ineptitude in the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Horrible mistake’: US admits air strike killed only Afghan civilians

Washington: The US military has admitted that a high-profile drone strike in Afghanistan last month killed as many as 10 civilians – including seven children – rather than an Islamic State extremist as initially announced.

The Pentagon had previously maintained that at least one member of the ISIS-K terrorist group and three civilians were killed in the strike, which was launched three days after an ISIS-K suicide bomber killed 13 US troops at the gate of Kabul Airport.

Frank McKenzie, Commander of US Central Command, revealed an internal review found that only civilians were killed in the attack, not an Islamic State extremist as first believed.

General Mark Milley, the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, initially called the August 29 attack a “righteous strike”.

But in a briefing on Saturday (AEST) the head of the US Central Command Kenneth McKenzie said that, following an investigation, he now believed it was unlikely that those who died were terrorists or posed a threat to US forces at Kabul’s airport.

“I offer my profound condolences,” McKenzie told reporters. “It was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology.”

McKenzie said the military was exploring the possibility of compensation payments for the families of the victims.

The strike was carried out “in the profound belief” that ISIS-K was about to attack Kabul’s airport, he said.

In a statement Milley said: “In a dynamic high-threat environment, the commanders on the ground had appropriate authority and had reasonable certainty that the target was valid.

“But after deeper post-strike analysis, our conclusion is that innocent civilians were killed.
Advertisement

“This is a horrible tragedy of war and it’s heart-wrenching and we are committed to being fully transparent about this incident.”

The US military initially believed a white Toyota targeted in the strike was loaded with explosives for an imminent attack. It turned out that the driver, Zamarai Ahmadi, was a veteran aid worker for an American non-profit and was hauling water cans for his family.

“We now know that there was no connection between Mr Ahmadi and ISIS-Khorasan, that his activities on that day were completely harmless and not at all related to the imminent threat we believed we faced, and that Mr Ahmadi was just as innocent a victim as were the others tragically killed,” Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin said in a statement.

“We apologise, and we will endeavour to learn from this horrible mistake.”

Members of Congress, including Democrats, hit out at the botched strike.

“I’m devastated by the acknowledgment from the Department of Defence that the strike conducted on August 29 was an utter failure that resulted in the deaths of at least 10 civilians,” Democratic congressman Ruben Gallego of Arizona said in a statement.

“I expect the department to brief us immediately on the operation, focusing on a full accounting of the targeting processes and procedures which led to the determination to carry out such a strike.”

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/horrible-mistake-us-admits-air-strike-killed-only-afghan-civilians-20210918-p58srv.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:36:01 am by BarryCrocker »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: September 18, 2021, 05:17:33 am »

He saying it would have been better to do it in the Winter but that the previous admin deal was for spring/summer.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1252 on: September 18, 2021, 07:21:54 am »
General Mark Milley, the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, initially called the August 29 attack a “righteous strike”.

Brilliant terminology that. Sounds like the sort of terminology the c*nts they were hoping to blow up might use.

Instead we have yet another bunch of civilians obliterated from 10,000ft as some kind of weird face-saving gesture. "Why would we need boots on the ground when we can still rain death from the sky?!!"

What a shithow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: September 18, 2021, 11:25:50 am »
Brilliant terminology that. Sounds like the sort of terminology the c*nts they were hoping to blow up might use.

Instead we have yet another bunch of civilians obliterated from 10,000ft as some kind of weird face-saving gesture. "Why would we need boots on the ground when we can still rain death from the sky?!!"

What a shithow

Inept.

Reminds of when Clinton authorised a Cruise missile strike on Al Queda only to waste millions of dollars worth of sophisticated equipment on a mountainside, whilst not missing Monica Lewinski's dress.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: September 18, 2021, 11:51:49 am »
Inept.

Reminds of when Clinton authorised a Cruise missile strike on Al Queda only to waste millions of dollars worth of sophisticated equipment on a mountainside, whilst not missing Monica Lewinski's dress.

You want to blame the President for not getting the right intel?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: September 18, 2021, 02:32:15 pm »
You want to blame the President for not getting the right intel?

Not particularly but there is the same degree of ineptness. Biden wanted a show of strength by targeting without putting American lives at risk and they ballsed it up.

I doubt it will stop them being fed dodgy intelligence in future, often by Afghans wanting to settle internal scores, or just to show up the Americans.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1256 on: September 18, 2021, 03:49:47 pm »
Talban not letting girls go to school now.

We are sitting by and letting a bunch of terrorists run a huge nation. Shocking behaviour. Shouldn't have rested till every Tali-fuck was dead and buried.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: September 18, 2021, 03:56:30 pm »

We are sitting by and letting a bunch of terrorists run a huge nation. Shocking behaviour. Shouldn't have rested till every Tali-fuck was dead and buried.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/17/taliban-ban-girls-from-secondary-education-in-afghanistan
Reading some of the comments on here you would think the Afghans are getting massacred left right and centre. Most of the sheeple just read the rags and sky news havnt gotta a clue what really goes on there. Propoganda machine has blinded many. Ive been out there and have friends an relatives there too. Believe it or not they wanted the Americans out. They wanted no more war. They wanted peace. The Taliban walked in without bloodshed. They annonced the war in Afghanistan is OVER.
Dont just make Judgments based on watching an airport and airplane clip showing people trying to get away to the land of dreams. They were not fleeing Taliban and neither is there a massacre going on. Neither am I a fan of them. Hope they will bring peace and run their OWN country for the good of its people. Most of the faces shown on the media will be those asylum seekers and those clinging to get a visa to UK  or USA making up untold stories about killings, rape , women cant be educated and all that bollix. Everyones got a mobile now show us the evidence. There is none just one bloomin airport runaway scene. I would rather beleive what the Afghans on the street tell me then the American media machine. Lets not forget, not too long ago these same Taliban were called Freedom fighters alongside Rambo when they beating the Russians out.
That aged well.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline cress

• Main Stander
« Reply #1258 on: September 19, 2021, 11:08:53 pm »

By fighting season I was talking about the months where its warm enough for fighting. Temperatures there plummet across the winter months. Leaving then would have been better. Granted it wasn't going to stop the taliban, but at least there wouldn't have been as much chaos and the afghan government would have been in power until the spring fighting season started. On the flip side that may have meant less Afghans being able to get out.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: September 20, 2021, 02:19:42 am »
By fighting season I was talking about the months where its warm enough for fighting. Temperatures there plummet across the winter months. Leaving then would have been better. Granted it wasn't going to stop the taliban, but at least there wouldn't have been as much chaos and the afghan government would have been in power until the spring fighting season started. On the flip side that may have meant less Afghans being able to get out.

One option or another would have meant advantages and disadvantages. Eg. evacuation by Bagram, which Biden got brickbats for not choosing, would have meant a more easily defensible position, but that's because it has harder access which the Taliban would have more easily blocked if they chose to. As it was, he chose evacuation by Kabul airport, which is more easily accessible by evacuees and Taliban alike, with cooperation with the Taliban, which they actually kept to.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: September 21, 2021, 07:38:18 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-middle-east-58599522

Misogynist pigs. I remember someone posting on here a while ago, saying the Taleban hate anything fun. They are miserable, sad men. I didn't really understand, or could visualise what they meant. Culture-less. Half the population being told they shouldn't exist, apart from pumping out babies.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:10:04 pm by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1261 on: September 21, 2021, 07:44:28 am »
Shouldn't have rested till every Tali-fuck was dead and buried.

I get your frustrations. But its not the Taliban thats the problem. Its the idealogy.

Today there is a taliban that you want dead. Tomorrow it could be a Balitan. Or whatever the fuck they will call themselves.

They will adopt the fucked up idealogy and carry out their agenda.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1262 on: September 22, 2021, 01:13:15 am »
Intelligencer
Can the Taliban Govern Afghanistan? Probably Not.
Jonah Shepp  11 hrs ago

Now that the Taliban have consolidated control over Afghanistan and formed an interim government, the world will soon find out whether the victorious insurgents are actually capable of running the country they have reconquered — or whether they will run it straight into the ground. So far, the group has shown no inclination to temper the brutal austerity of its vision for an Islamic emirate, but the Taliban government also appears unlikely to maintain internal cohesion, domestic and international legitimacy, or any semblance of competent governance. What this means for the Taliban and for the Afghan people remains deeply uncertain.

The composition of the government announced earlier this month shattered any international expectations that the Taliban had become more inclusive or moderated its ideology. The interim cabinet is all male and overwhelmingly made up of Pashtuns, the predominant ethnic group in Afghanistan. Most of its members are Taliban loyalists, including some old-guard figures from its last stint in power in the late 1990s. Some are notorious terrorists, such as interior minister Sirajuddin Haqqani, who is on the FBI’s most wanted list with a $10 million bounty on his head.

During their negotiations with the Trump administration last year and their rapid rise to power as U.S. forces withdrew, the Taliban have sought to project an image of legitimacy, rationality, and relative tolerance abroad, to assure world leaders that their return to power would not result in a total collapse of human rights and the re-emergence of Afghanistan as a cradle of terrorism.

Taliban leaders have been cagey, however, about just what they mean when they say, for example, that they will respect the rights of women “within Islamic law.” The pledges of moderation are contradicted by what is reportedly happening on the ground throughout Afghanistan following the militant group’s victory: girls’ schools being shut down; women being told to stay home from their jobs and restricted from leaving their homes without a male guardian; reports of forced marriages, harassment, and executions. Female middle and high-school students have been prevented from returning to school, universities are being segregated by gender, and the ministry of women’s affairs has now been replaced with the “Ministry for Preaching and Guidance and the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice.”

All signs point to a Taliban that is no more enlightened than it was 20 or 25 years ago, even if its leaders are a bit more media-savvy and attuned to the value of optics. The group is ideologically opposed to democracy and does not plan to hold elections. It is still not clear how the Taliban plans to organize the legislative and judicial functions of government, but there is no reason to expect these institutions to be representative or inclusive.

The open question, then, is not just whether the Taliban plan to rule any differently than before (and they likely don’t), but whether they can govern effectively enough to hold onto power, and whether the pressures of governing will force them to make concessions and moderate their positions. Afghanistan in 2021 is not Afghanistan in 1996, when they last took control: While the country remains deeply impoverished and underdeveloped, with very low levels of literacy and internet penetration by global standards, the population has grown significantly, and Afghans today are better educated and connected with the outside world than they were a quarter-century ago (especially in the major cities). At the same time, the eyes of the world are trained on Afghanistan, whereas the country received little international attention before the 9/11 attacks. The challenge of obtaining and maintaining domestic and international legitimacy is much more daunting for the Taliban — indeed, the fact that they now seek international legitimacy at all is perhaps the one significant difference from the 1990s.

Already, the new Taliban government appears to be in disarray. The group’s supreme leader, Mullah Haibatullah Akhundzada, has not been seen in public since the takeover, fueling speculation that he may be ill or dead. Abdul Ghani Baradar, the deputy prime minister, also disappeared from view earlier this month and was rumored injured or killed in a physical brawl among Taliban leaders, until he went on television last week to reassure everyone that he was alive and well. Other leaders, like Haqqani, are apparently in hiding out of longstanding fear that they might be targeted in U.S. drone strikes. Sharp divisions have reportedly emerged between more pragmatic and hardline factions within the senior Taliban leadership, including disagreements over the makeup of the cabinet. The hardliners appear to have prevailed for the time being, but these early conflicts do not bode well for the group’s ability to coherently govern a country of 38 million people.

The question of the Taliban’s ability to govern carries no small amount of urgency, as Afghanistan is facing economic and humanitarian crises that would test the abilities of even a stable, well-established government. The country is experiencing a severe drought that threatens to spiral into a famine, with 14 million Afghans at risk of “acute food insecurity,” according to the World Food Program. Millions could starve in the coming year without food aid, and long-term food and water security challenges loom beyond the immediate emergency. In the meantime, civil servants have not been paid, the nation’s currency has depreciated, and the economy appears to be collapsing.

To rescue the Afghan economy, the Taliban government will need to attract aid and investment from the international community, most of which is reluctant to do business with a despotic theocracy that subjugates women and persecutes ethnic and religious minorities. China has emerged as a potential lifeline, as Beijing is willing to look the other way at even the most egregious human rights violations. But even China, which would like to get its hands on some of Afghanistan’s $1 trillion in untapped mineral wealth, is not necessarily willing to invest in a country where it can’t safely send engineers or where the government may be providing a safe haven for terrorist groups that target China.

The new government must also contend with brain drain, as the Afghans who have fled the country since the U.S withdrawal and those who continue to look for ways out are disproportionately educated people with specialized skills. Afghans who assisted the occupying U.S. and allied forces or worked for the former government or foreign aid organizations have fled or tried to flee out of fear of retribution from the Taliban. It will be very difficult to provide public services if the people who know how to do that work have left: this is one reason why the Taliban tried to prevent would-be asylum seekers from reaching Kabul airport last month to be airlifted out of the country by the U.S.

At the same time, the Taliban are stupidly enforcing another form of brain drain by once again shutting women out of the workforce. The interim mayor of Kabul announced on Sunday that most female employees of the city government had been told to stay home pending a further decision — except those who could not be replaced by men. In addition to being morally outrageous, the choice to curtail women’s rights is a strategic mistake, as it will hold Afghanistan back by preventing half the population from participating in its economy and government. Relegating women to their homes will only hasten the country’s economic collapse.

While Taliban leaders are failing to keep their two-faced promises about women’s rights, they also have to deal with another gendered crisis: large numbers of unemployed young men. The Taliban foot soldiers who have waged the insurgency over the past 20 years have few skills other than warfare, and integrating these men into a peacetime economy will be challenging for their leaders. Do they just tell them to go back to their family farms or find jobs in the cities, try to organize them into a police force, or give them administrative jobs for which they are completely unqualified? In any case, who will pay their salaries? Meanwhile, many of these men are poorly educated and deeply ideological, having been indoctrinated into the Taliban’s extremist worldview. They expect to be part of a fundamentalist Islamic state and could become disloyal and troublesome if their leaders decide to make compromises. Already, in recent years, the Taliban has seen defections in its ranks to the more ideologically extreme ISIS-K, the local affiliate of the notorious terrorist group.

On one hand, the Taliban could earn international respect by including women and ethnic minorities in the government, by holding elections, or by welcoming their rivals into a unity government. Actions like these might also win them more popularity in Kabul and other major cities. On the other hand, the conservative, rural, male, Pashtun constituency from which they draw their core supporters would be outraged and could even revolt. The balancing act of maintaining legitimacy among the rural and urban, illiterate and educated, ultraconservative and more cosmopolitan segments of Afghan society may prove an impossible task for this government.

Speaking of the rural/urban divide, what experience the Taliban do have in some form of civil government has been in the countryside, where the former government in Kabul exercised little real authority, the population is sparse, and there is little civilian infrastructure to manage or maintain. Managing the sprawling metropolis of Kabul, with over 4 million residents, or even smaller cities like Herat or Jalalabad, is a much taller order. The Taliban loyalists now in charge of the government, as well as the interim mayors appointed to the cities, have none of the expertise they need to do the jobs they are now expected to do. To cope with this responsibility, the Taliban would need to accept help from former adversaries who actually know how to do these jobs. It would also help if they appointed officials based on competency, rather than loyalty or seniority within the Taliban — but they’re probably not going to do that.

History provides few examples of successful insurgencies transforming into successful governments. The skills honed in guerrilla warfare don’t translate easily into the peacetime work of political power brokering, legislation, monetary policy, urban planning, or trash collection. At the moment, the Taliban government does not appear up to the challenge of governing Afghanistan — a notoriously difficult country to run under any circumstances. Perhaps, if the Taliban fail miserably, their regime will collapse and what follows in its wake will be better. Or perhaps the country will plunge once again into anarchy and civil war. In any case, the world should be prepared for the possibility that, for better or worse, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan is as destined for debacle as the state which preceded it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/can-the-taliban-govern-afghanistan-probably-not/ar-AAOFlA5?ocid=msedgntp
Kill the humourless

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1263 on: September 22, 2021, 08:16:26 pm »
I get your frustrations. But its not the Taliban thats the problem. Its the idealogy.

Today there is a taliban that you want dead. Tomorrow it could be a Balitan. Or whatever the fuck they will call themselves.

They will adopt the fucked up idealogy and carry out their agenda.

I agree with you there.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: September 22, 2021, 08:55:09 pm »
Intelligencer
Can the Taliban Govern Afghanistan? Probably Not.
Jonah Shepp  11 hrs ago

Depends what you mean by governing Afghanistan. On the one hand, the last time the Taliban got into power, they got their support by being able to keep order by keeping down banditry. The main threat to this will be ISIS. On the other hand, having tasted western liberalism, some parts of Afghan society may not be satisfied with the conservative society the Taliban will be implementing. But the Taliban hold all the power, and unless Afghan women get support from significant parts of the Taliban government (yeah, right), their dissatisfaction won't matter.

If the Afghan people deem the former to be the most important, like they did last time, then western assessments of what constitutes a functional government are irrelevant.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: September 29, 2021, 09:49:38 am »
Nothing on here so far about Biden being shredded by the military top brass about the witdrawal.

Top generals contradict Biden, say they urged him not to withdraw from Afghanistan

Gen. Frank McKenzie said that he recommended maintaining a small force of 2,500 troops in Afghanistan earlier this year.

Top generals told lawmakers under oath on Tuesday that they advised President Joe Biden early this year to keep several thousand troops in Afghanistan — directly contradicting the president’s comments in August that no one warned him not to withdraw troops from the country.

The remarkable testimony pits top military brass against the commander-in-chief as the Biden administration continues to face tough questions about what critics are calling a botched withdrawal that directly led to the deaths of 13 American service members, scenes of chaos at the Kabul airport, and the abandonment of American citizens and at-risk Afghans in the war-torn country.

Gen. Kenneth "Frank" McKenzie, the commander of U.S. Central Command, told the Senate Armed Services in a hearing Tuesday that he recommended maintaining a small force of 2,500 troops in Afghanistan earlier this year.

He also noted that in the fall of 2020, during the Trump administration, he advised that the U.S. maintain a force almost double the size, of 4,500 troops, in Afghanistan.

In answering questions from Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) about his advice, McKenzie said he would not share his “personal recommendation” to the president.

But he went on to say that his “personal view,” which he said shaped his recommendations, was that withdrawing those forces “would lead inevitably to the collapse of the Afghan military forces and, eventually, the Afghan government.”

McKenzie also acknowledged that he talked to Biden directly about the recommendation by Gen. Scott Miller, the commander of U.S. Forces Afghanistan until July, that the military leave a few thousand troops on the ground, which Miller detailed in closed testimony last week.

“I was present when that discussion occurred and I am confident that the president heard all the recommendations and listened to them very thoughtfully,” McKenzie said.

McKenzie’s remarks directly contradict Biden’s comments in an Aug. 19 interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, in which he said that “no one” that he “can recall” advised him to keep a force of about 2,500 troops in Afghanistan.

During the interview, Stephanopoulos asked Biden point blank: “So no one told — your military advisers did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

Biden answered: “No. No one said that to me that I can recall.”

During the hearing on Tuesday, Inhofe next asked Gen. Mark Milley, chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, if he agreed with the recommendation to leave 2,500 troops on the ground. Milley answered affirmatively.

Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) attempted to pin Milley down on Biden’s August remarks, repeatedly asking the general whether the comments constituted “a false statement.”

Milley declined to give a direct answer, saying only that “I'm not going to characterize a statement of the president of the United States.”

Sullivan then grilled McKenzie about the accuracy of the president’s statement, stressing that the general does not “have a duty to cover for the president when he's not telling the truth.”

McKenzie again declined to criticize the president, saying only that “I've given you my opinion and judgment.”

Later in the hearing, Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) asked Milley if he should have resigned when the president decided to fully withdraw from Afghanistan against the generals’ advice.

Milley argued that resigning in protest would have been a “political act,” and that the president has no obligation to agree with his military advice. “It would be an incredible act of political defiance for a commissioned officer to just resign because my advice is not taken,” Milley said. “This country doesn't want generals figuring out what orders we are going to accept and do or not. That's not our job.”

Milley added that his decision was also informed by the experience of his father, who fought at Iwo Jima.

“[My father] didn’t get a choice to resign,” Milley said.

“Those kids there at Abbey Gate, they don’t get a choice to resign,” Milley said, referring to the 13 American service members who died during the evacuation from Kabul in late August when an ISIS-K suicide bomber detonated an explosive vest. “They can't resign so I'm not going to resign. There's no way.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/28/top-generals-afghanistan-withdrawal-congress-hearing-514491

White House press secretary Jen Psaki pushed back Tuesday against suggestions that Biden misled the public on what his military advisers were recommending, and said that reporters were not taking the entirety of Biden’s ABC interview into context. “The president made clear that the advice was split,” she said. “If there’s conflicting advice given, by necessity some peoples’ advice will not be taken.”

So who was the conflicting advice from?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1266 on: September 29, 2021, 06:21:29 pm »
Not true though is it.

Fro todays hearing.

Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) paused the hearing of the House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday to quote the full conversation in the interview.

"I do want to make a comment because I actually watched the George Stephanopoulos interview," said Rep. Smith while Republicans tried to shout over him. "Joe Biden never suggested that no one -- I have the time. And what he said was you cannot have 2500 troops stay there in a stable situation. So, we should at least be accurate about what information was provided. I would urge everyone to look at the words and not take what is being said here as accurate."

Republicans insisted they "read the quote," but most aren't reading the full conversation between Biden and Stephanopoulos.

Stephanopoulos first said to Biden, "But your top military advisors warned against withdrawing on this timeline. They wanted you to keep about 2,500 troops."

"No, they didn't. It was split. Tha-- that wasn't true. That wasn't true," said Biden. The generals testifying over Tuesday and Wednesday confirmed that the advisers were split.

"They didn't tell you that they wanted troops to stay?" asked Stephanopoulos.

Biden explained "not in terms of whether we were going to get out in a timeframe all troops. They didn't argue against that."

Stephanopoulos read a full quote he said was from a military adviser, and Rep. Smith explained that it was clear Biden was responding to the last part of the question about stability. "So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, 'No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that'?"

Biden then replied that the reason it was a "stable situation" was because of the agreement between Donald Trump and the Taliban. The Taliban told Trump that they would stop attacking American soldiers if they withdrew. So, the withdrawal began and continued to ensure a stable situation.

"I got into office, George. Less than two months after I elected to office, I was sworn in, all of a sudden, I have a May 1 deadline," said Biden. "I have a May 1 deadline. I got one of two choices. Do I say we're staying? And do you think we would not have to put a hell of a lot more troops? B-- you know, we had hundreds-- we had tens of thousands of troops there before. Tens of thousands. Do you think we would've -- that we would've just said, 'No problem. Don't worry about it, we're not gonna attack anybody. We're okay'? In the meantime, the Taliban was taking territory all throughout the country in the north and down in the south, in the Pashtun area."

"I read it too," said Rep. Smith. "And I read it with a clear, open vision of what he was saying, not with a bent to try to make sure we could successfully have a partisan attack on him. He was asked could they stay there in a stable environment? That is it the option he said wasn't on the table. Not because it wasn't offered but because it didn't exist. And while we're ripping apart this three gentlemen here, I want to remind everybody that the decision the president made was to stop fighting a war that, after 20 years it was proven we could not win. There was no easy way to do that."
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: September 29, 2021, 07:36:34 pm »
Politico can be a garbage news source. They should have check the full statement given to Stephanopoulos rather than simply relying on what the Republicans said Biden said.

The rest of Biden's presidency may be a failure if he cannot get anything done on voting rights, but he was correct to pull US troops out of Afghanistan.

Drone strikes will still continue mind you. But that is less on Biden, then on the other two branches of government repealing the AUMF passed over 20 years ago.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: September 29, 2021, 11:44:56 pm »
Politico can be a garbage news source. They should have check the full statement given to Stephanopoulos rather than simply relying on what the Republicans said Biden said.

The rest of Biden's presidency may be a failure if he cannot get anything done on voting rights, but he was correct to pull US troops out of Afghanistan.

Drone strikes will still continue mind you. But that is less on Biden, then on the other two branches of government repealing the AUMF passed over 20 years ago.

It's virtually every news network reporting this.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: September 30, 2021, 12:06:00 pm »
Slate
We Now Know Why Biden Was in a Hurry to Exit Afghanistan
Fred Kaplan  17 hrs ago

There was a moment in Tuesday’s Senate hearing on the withdrawal from Afghanistan when it became clear why President Joe Biden decided to get the troops out of there as quickly as possible.

It came when Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, explained why he and the other chiefs—the top officers of the Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marines—all agreed that we needed to pull out by Aug. 31. The Doha agreement, which President Trump had signed with the Taliban in early 2020 (with no participation by the Afghan government), required a total withdrawal of foreign forces. If U.S. troops had stayed beyond August, Milley said, the Taliban would have resumed the fighting, and, in order to stave off the attacks, “we would have needed 30,000 troops” and would have suffered “many casualties.”

And yet, as Milley also testified on Tuesday, he, the chiefs, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, and other military officers advised Biden to keep 2,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan beyond the Aug. 31 deadline. The difference is that those troops wouldn’t be attached to any “military mission.” Instead, they would “transition” to a “diplomatic mission.”

However, it is extremely unlikely that the Taliban would have observed the semantic distinction. In their eyes, 2,500 U.S. troops would be seen as 2,500 U.S. troops, regardless of whether their mission was officially said to be “military” or “diplomatic.” Therefore, the Taliban would resume fighting, as Milley said they would, and Biden would then have been faced with a horrendous choice—to pull out while under attack or send in another 30,000 troops.

Some historical-psychological perspective is worth noting. In the first nine months of Barack Obama’s presidency, the generals were pushing for a major escalation of the war in Afghanistan—an increase of 40,000 troops—and a shift to a counterinsurgency (aka “nation-building”) strategy. Biden, who was then vice president, was alone in suggesting an increase of just 10,000 troops, to be used solely for training the Afghan army and for fighting terrorists along the Afghan-Pakistani border. As Obama recalls in his memoir, Biden urged the new and relatively inexperienced president not to be “boxed in” by the generals. Give them 40,000 troops now, and in 18 months, they’ll say they need another 40,000 to win the war. As Obama later acknowledged, Biden was right.

And so, as Milley was advising President Biden to keep 2,500 troops in Afghanistan, even while acknowledging that another 30,000 might be needed if the Taliban resumed fighting, it’s easy to imagine Biden thinking, “They’re trying to box me in, just like they did before, just like they’ve always done since the Vietnam War,” which was raging when Biden first entered the Senate in 1973 and has shaped his views on war and peace ever since.

Milley and Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, the head of Central Command, both acknowledged at the hearing that the U.S. military was flying blind through much of its 20-year war in Afghanistan, the longest war in American history. The officers of the day tried to mold the Afghan army in their own image, making them too dependent on U.S. technology and support, so that once we withdrew, collapse was inevitable. Milley also noted that he and the other officers paid too little attention to Afghan culture and to the corrosive effects of the Afghan government’s corruption and lack of popular legitimacy. So, Biden might well have been thinking, why should he pay attention to anything these guys had to say on the war in Afghanistan, which they’ve been wrong about from the very beginning?

Biden made several missteps, some of them disastrous, in the pace and sequence of the withdrawal. Most of all, he should have pulled out all the spies, contractors, U.S. citizens, and Afghan helpers before pulling out all the troops. But on the big picture, he was right, and the generals, as they now grudgingly admit, were wrong.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/we-now-know-why-biden-was-in-a-hurry-to-exit-afghanistan/ar-AAOXZpB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
Kill the humourless

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1270 on: September 30, 2021, 02:42:08 pm »
It's virtually every news network reporting this.

So they’re all wrong? No new information came out of that Senate hearing other than a failed gotcha moment that attempted to show that Biden lied to the public. It’s also pretty funny how Josh Hawley cheered on the insurrectionists on January 6, is allowed to sit and there posture patriotically.

At the time of the withdrawal very few people shared the view that 2500 troops would have been sufficient to repel Taliban forces. It’s quite clear that there were manifold reasons for the Afghan army’s collapse, not just the withdrawal of American forces.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: October 11, 2021, 02:31:55 pm »
Refugee female Afghan judges:

Am I missing something here?

What Western country would not want to add dozens of educated totally supported Muslims well versed in Islamic law, the nuances of the Middle East and open to modern concepts of law, to their legal/political/media/journalist constituency?

They should be a huge part of a planning foundation for cooperative worldwide Islam in the modern age.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:36:10 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1272 on: November 15, 2021, 03:11:59 pm »

The unity that catapulted the Taliban to victory in Afghanistan is splintering under the pressure of internal divisions that could threaten the group’s survival if rivals cannot mend their differences while dealing with the realities of running a troubled country.

Against a backdrop of looming economic and humanitarian catastrophe, lines—and swords—have been drawn between two senior Taliban figures: political leader Abdul Ghani Baradar, who co-founded the group with Mullah Mohammad Omar and whose power base is in Kandahar, and sanctioned terrorist Sirajuddin Haqqani, who heads the affiliated Haqqani network and is close to al Qaeda.

As Taliban factions battle for bigger slices of the pie, the local branch of the Islamic State is picking up recruits disillusioned with the political direction the Taliban are taking, security and academic sources said.

Amid the internal power struggle at the top of the Taliban, and the Islamic State recruitment drive, indications are emerging of an alliance of smaller jihadi groups spearheaded by Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), attracting elements dissatisfied with even the most extreme factions currently in control of Afghanistan.

The Islamic Invitation Alliance (IIA), funded by the ISI, was formed in early 2020 with the aim of ensuring the Taliban’s victory, according to a document prepared for the previous government of Afghanistan, seen by Foreign Policy. It now aims to destabilize the Taliban by empowering extremism across Afghanistan, said an intelligence source involved in uncovering the group’s existence, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The emergence of the IIA, which sources say is known to the U.S. intelligence community, further complicates Afghanistan’s fractious political landscape as the country’s former allies grapple with how to deal with a government controlled by sanctioned terrorists allied to al Qaeda.

The cleavage between Baradar, who cut the so-called peace deal in 2020 with former U.S. President Donald Trump, and Haqqani, who introduced suicide attacks to the Afghan battlefield, is growing wider. Baradar, now interim deputy prime minister, is seen as “America’s man,” while Haqqani, acting interior minister, represents the group’s most strident anti-Western face, which appeals to Pakistan, said Rahmatullah Nabil, the former head of intelligence for the previous Afghan government.

He said divisions between the two men, who have an uneasy power-sharing agreement, are pushing Taliban foot soldiers into the arms of the Islamic State, challenging the Taliban’s control of Afghanistan, and risking the country’s stability and potentially regional peace.

“Guerrilla fighting with drug smuggling income is easier than running a state,” said Nabil, referring to the Taliban’s control of heroin production and trafficking. “They have already faced several challenges, and their internal divisions are increasing.”

Those divisions became public in September, shortly after the Taliban seized control of the country, and could be behind some recent high-casualty attacks attributed to the local Islamic State branch, known as the Islamic State-Khorasan (IS-K), according to Weeda Mehran, a conflict expert at the University of Exeter.

“We knew the Taliban was not a homogenous group. Nonetheless, we are seeing violence between rival factions now becoming more public,” she said. The Islamic State is a “convenient scapegoat” for attacks possibly committed in the fratricidal battle for supremacy.

A recent attack on a Kabul military hospital, for instance, killed a Haqqani ally, Hamdullah Mukhlis, head of the capital’s military corps. Survivors of the attack told AFP that the attackers chanted “Long live the Taliban” and avoided areas of the hospital where Taliban fighters were being treated. IS-K claimed responsibility.

“Baradar’s side can benefit on two fronts—if they are smart enough to play it like that: They can ensure they get their internal rivals with these huge attacks, and they can show the West they are acting against IS-K to get support for dealing with the ‘new’ terrorists,” Mehran said.

IS-K’s capabilities concern the U.S. Defense Department, where belief has taken root that it could pose a threat to the United States in under a year. Recruiting experienced fighters will only bolster those worries.

Colin Kahl, the U.S. undersecretary of defense for policy, told the Senate Armed Services Committee last month that the United States is fairly certain that both IS-K and al Qaeda have the “intention” to attack the U.S. homeland.

Some reports have said IS-K is also absorbing members of the former state security forces as they try to avoid retributive attacks from the Taliban and earn money. Nabil said IS-K offers 30,000 afghanis, or about $300, per month. Former Afghan National Defense and Security Forces personnel, however, have denied the reports.

IS-K and al Qaeda are part of an increasingly complicated political mosaic as Pakistan’s ISI continues to ensure it has leverage over the Taliban and control of regional jihad. Both groups have been drawn under the IIA umbrella, according to the research document, which has not been made public. It says the IIA grew out of ISI support for a group called Karwan Abu Obaida (KaO), which splintered from the Haqqani network after the Trump-Taliban agreement was signed in February 2020.

KaO was made up of Haqqani followers who were disappointed that the Haqqani network did not take action against Baradar and other Taliban leaders for negotiating with the United States, the document says.

“From its inception, KaO focused on targeted attacks against journalists, civil activists, and ‘those who are against Islamic law,’ as well as ‘those who are supporting the agreements with the Americans crusaders’ and their allies in Afghanistan,” the document says, quoting interlocutors.

It adds that the ISI initially deployed the KaO to extend the assassination campaign, which had a devastating impact on government, civil society, and media in Afghanistan throughout 2020. The ISI then decided to expand its influence over non-Taliban actors working to topple then-President Ashraf Ghani’s government, the document says, with the aim of building a formidable jihadi force that could be a useful tool of political coercion in the event of a Taliban victory.

During 2020, the IIA also became a platform for the return to the battlefield of Gulbuddin Hekmatyar. Hekmatyar, a former warlord who struck a peace deal with Ghani in 2016 to return from exile, became disillusioned and “approached the ISI for help re-engaging with the insurgency,” the document says.

The main objectives of the IIA, which numbers an estimated 4,500 fighters, are to “keep the jihad movement in Afghanistan alive” and “act as a tool of ISI pressure” on the Taliban to ensure that Pakistan’s interests are protected, the document says.

It adds that the IIA is funneling ISI funding to member groups and giving IS-K a boost by enabling it to claim responsibility for attacks committed by other groups in the coalition. This creates the potential for a self-fulfilling prophecy by allowing IS-K to build an image of itself as an “ascendant organization in Afghanistan.”

Requests for comment on the report were made to Pakistan’s foreign ministry spokesperson and, separately, the public relations and information officer, as well as to Islamabad’s embassies in Kabul and London, all without response.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/11/12/taliban-afghanistan-pakistan-factions-fighting-division-unity/

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1273 on: December 28, 2021, 11:33:38 pm »
More steps back to the old ways.

No long-distance travel for women without male relative: Taliban
Taliban authorities say women must be accompanied by close male relative if travelling for more than 72km, drawing condemnation.

In Afghanistan, the Taliban authorities say women seeking to travel long distances should not be allowed on road transport unless they are accompanied by a close male relative.

The guidance issued on Sunday by the Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, which also called on vehicle owners to refuse rides to women not wearing headscarves, has drawn condemnation from rights activists.

The move followed the Taliban barring many women in public-sector roles from returning to work in the wake of their August 15 seizure of power, and as girls remain largely cut off from secondary schooling.

It also came despite the group seeking to project a moderate image internationally in a bid to restore aid suspended when the previous government imploded during the final stages of a chaotic military withdrawal by the United States.

“Women travelling for more than 72km (45 miles) should not be offered a ride if they are not accompanied by a close family member,” ministry spokesman Sadeq Akif Muhajir said, specifying that the companion must be male.

The new guidance, circulated on social media networks, also asked people to stop playing music in their vehicles.

Weeks ago, the ministry asked Afghanistan’s television channels to stop showing dramas and soap operas featuring female actors. It also called on female TV journalists to wear headscarves while presenting.

Muhajir said on Sunday the hijab would likewise be required for women seeking transport.

The Taliban’s definition of the hijab – which can range from a hair covering to a face veil or full-body covering – is unclear, and most Afghan women already wear headscarves.

‘Making women prisoners’
Human Rights Watch has slammed the guidance.

“This new order essentially moves … further in the direction of making women prisoners,” Heather Barr, the group’s associate director of women’s rights, told the AFP news agency.

It “shuts off opportunities for them to be able to move about freely, to travel to another city, to do business, (or) to be able to flee if they are facing violence in the home,” Barr added.

Earlier this month, the Taliban issued a decree in the name of their supreme leader, instructing the government to enforce women’s rights, but it did not mention girls’ access to education.

On Sunday, Afghanistan’s Minister for Higher Education Abdul Baqi Haqqani said the authorities were discussing the issue.

“The Islamic Emirate is not against women’s education but it is against co-education,” Haqqani told reporters.

“We are working on building an Islamic environment where women could study … it might take some time,” he said, without specifying when girls might return to school and university classes across the country.

Women’s rights were severely curtailed during the Taliban’s previous stint in power in the 1990s.

They were forced to wear the burqa, a full-body veil that covers the face as well, could only leave home with a male chaperone and were banned from work and education.

Respect for women’s rights has repeatedly been cited by key global donors as a condition for restoring aid.

The United Nations has warned that Afghanistan faces an “avalanche of hunger” this winter, estimating that 22 million citizens face acute food shortages.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/26/afghanistan-long-distance-travel-women-without-male-escort-taliban

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1274 on: December 29, 2021, 03:49:22 pm »
More steps back to the old ways.

Would it be fair to say that many in the Muslim world see things like this rather differently though? For the Taliban and a sizeable proportion of Afghan men, this return to the 'old days' is quietly welcomed.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1275 on: December 29, 2021, 04:07:03 pm »
Would it be fair to say that many in the Muslim world see things like this rather differently though? For the Taliban and a sizeable proportion of Afghan men, this return to the 'old days' is quietly welcomed.

Quietly?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: December 29, 2021, 04:23:15 pm »

It'll differ by area even within the same city,  and then by region.  Major cities,  business hubs will have the same competitive,  make every asset count mentality the world over regardless of the current government in charge.  It's a dumb law that'll lessen the growth,  the potential of the nation but Muslim majority countries are notorious for not making the most of their people,  of being shit administrators.  Time to time a leader might emerge for a few years,  some effective actions but nothing good ever really gets built over the long term.  So far.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: December 29, 2021, 04:53:39 pm »
Earlier this month the UN released the following

https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/12/1107132

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1278 on: December 29, 2021, 05:08:36 pm »
Quietly?

My token attempt at diplomacy . . . . .  ;)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: December 29, 2021, 05:09:56 pm »
Refugee female Afghan judges:

Am I missing something here?

What Western country would not want to add dozens of educated totally supported Muslims well versed in Islamic law, the nuances of the Middle East and open to modern concepts of law, to their legal/political/media/journalist constituency?

They should be a huge part of a planning foundation for cooperative worldwide Islam in the modern age.

Various Bar Association are making some efforts, but not sure if it's matched by a Governmental response;
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/helena-kennedy-the-first-plane-load-from-afghanistan-was-130-people-but-the-calls-kept-coming