Author Topic: Diogo Jota (Diogo José Teixeira da Silva)  (Read 537800 times)

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Diogo Jota
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2020, 11:57:40 pm »
Think its underwhelmed some but this is a very good signing imo, perfect front 3 replacement signing, pacey, tricky, scores goals, relentless worker off the ball and still only 23

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2020, 12:07:50 am »
When I first saw us linked tenuously on Thursday night I was really hoping this one would come off. The last time I felt that way about someone when there were doubts about it was Mané.

Good on the ball, finishing, creativity, deceptively strong, two footed, hes the perfect back up, and happily see him start plenty of games in rotation when one of the front 3 need a rest. Added bonus he will be available come the dreaded AFCON.

Never completely sold on Sarr, think he has a high ceiling but a bit one dimensional at the moment.

PSN: DHitchers

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2020, 12:11:32 am »
Welcome Diogo. YNWA

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2020, 12:35:11 am »
If you really think that you are delusional.  It's still nowhere near the strength in depth of City
hmmmmm your posting history is littered with whinging and moaning posts, you disappear for over 5 years and then return just prior to the shut down, around the time we lost to Watford and start posting again, also posting in the Atletico thread.

Not one post congratulating the team on the CL, Super Cup, World Clup Cup or number 19 and here you are again, moaning about a singing who I doubt you have ever seen play.

Goobs is a perfect name for you
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2020, 12:48:03 am »
Enjoy his goals and skills

http://youtu.be/PpjSh-QPtus

Thanks for that, although I was getting a bit worried as it wasn't showing him finish anything until near the end. Actually watching his skills, he reminds me very much of that lad at Man City - Bernardo Manning is it?
 :-\
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2020, 01:10:53 am »
Funny thing - I watched the Portugal v Croatia Nations League game a few weeks ago, and thought to myself, 'That Jota looks like just the sort of player we need as backup for our forwards. I wonder if we've looked at him?'
Maybe I noticed him more than when we play Wolves because for Portugal he was playing in a side that dominated the game, which will often be the situation he's in for us.
Anyway, welcome to the best team on the planet, Diogo!

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2020, 01:26:11 am »
Enjoy his goals and skills

http://youtu.be/PpjSh-QPtus
That video shows him as a very pacey player; I didn't have that impression (pacey yes, but didn't think that much).
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2020, 01:42:19 am »
If he can fit in seamlessly to that front three then being able to rest Salah/Mane from time to time should allow those guys to really be at their best during a pretty brutal season. I'm hoping we have the depth needed across the board now to really grind down teams who won't be used to playing so often.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2020, 03:28:35 am »
Very exciting signing! Welcome Diogo.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2020, 03:49:40 am »
Delighted by this signing. Every time I've seen him play I've thought he would be able to take the step up to play for one of the big teams. Glad it's us that will see the best of him.

I'd expect his output to increase now he is surrounded by some of the worlds best players and I wont be surprised if he is challenging to be a starter next season.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2020, 05:36:29 am »
Us being poor was a ruse
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2020, 05:56:04 am »
I've been telling my arsenal supporting mate they should sign this fella for ages.  Made up with this signing.  Very tidy player.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2020, 06:27:15 am »
Exciting signing. Much better to have on bench or rotated than Divock
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2020, 06:40:29 am »
Diogo has a very high ceiling.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2020, 07:08:37 am »
Got Mané vibes about this signing, should fit the way we play and is only 23. Welcome aboard Diogo!

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2020, 07:14:44 am »
for the money men here

apparently we could have got him for 35m upfront but decided to go for installments which kind of increase the fee to around 40m

still looks like a good buy though.

our scouts covers on all angles. His injury record looks spotless.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2020, 07:41:03 am »
Comes fringe a hard working team so will fit right in.
Bang on
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2020, 07:49:35 am »
Bang on

:D It wont get the love it deserves.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2020, 07:51:06 am »
:D It wont get the love it deserves.
;D

Most of them never do but we persevere :)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2020, 08:04:31 am »
What an awful signing.  Jota was never good enough to be picked regularly at Wolves and when he was he was always subbed off early.  Can't understand this transfer at all.

Get back over to your own forum, the Blue Moon, you loon.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2020, 08:42:13 am »
I’ll admit Jota has passed me by a bit so far - whenever I’ve watched Wolves in the last year or so it has been Jimenez who has most caught my eye. But he does look like he could prove to be a really good fit for us. Very much looking forward to seeing him play.

Welcome Diogo!

I just remember that goal against Utd in the FA Cup I think it was. Very good goal
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2020, 08:47:14 am »
https://anfieldindex.com/46314/why-liverpool-signed-diogo-jota.html

Last year, I spent about a week working on a project for work. With Liverpool in need of a fourth attacker, I took it upon myself to draw up a list of potential candidates. But before that, the challenge was to profile Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah before they moved to Anfield in order to spot trends. The idea was then to use those as a base to find players who might be on Michael Edwards’ list.

Liverpool forwards need to be genuine goal threats, regardless of whether they’re consistently prolific. So, the open play expected goal contribution (xGC) per 90 was a metric used to flag viable options. This stat combines expected goals and expected assists.

Goals from inside the penalty area was also taken into account. If this percentage is high then it’s more likely that their goals are repeatable and sustainable.

Touches in the opposition box was a key metric, too, with players needing to be able to be comfortable in these areas. It shows composure and it shows they’re used to these situations easing the adjustment period.

For this list, we went with players with an xGC total of 0.43 and above, with a minimum of four touches in the box and a percentage of goals inside the area of 70 per cent or higher.

The final list included Federico Chiesa, Leon Bailey, Julian Brandt, Inaki Williams, Nicolas Pepe, David Neres and Diogo Jota.

To round off my Jota write-up, I said something along the lines of If he was looking to move, he’s the sort of player who would look right at home in this Liverpool side. However, I never thought Wolves would part with the player, and if a club somehow convinced them to do so, I expected them to want £60million for him.

The fact Liverpool have managed to get him for around £32million when you factor in the sale of KI-Jana Hoever represents superb value for money. Jota may not be as exciting as Adama Traore in the eyes of many or as prolific as Raul Jimenez, but the Portugal internal ticks all of the boxes for a wide forward at Anfield.

He has an open-play expected goals per 90 average of 0.34 in the Premier League. That comes from a decent enough sample size of near 5,000 minutes. His expected assists average is 0.13 but Mane’s was only 0.17 while at Southampton. Combined, it takes Jota’s xGC total to 0.47 and that’s while playing in a conservative, counter-attacking side.

The former Wolves man is a lot more similar to Mane than he is to Salah. Jota is frugal with his efforts, averaging just a little over two per 90. Mane’s average since moving to the Premier League has been around 2.5, Salah’s is near double that. The 23-year-old has one of the best shot maps around, though. Very few are outside the box and the majority come between the width of the six-yard box. His shot assist map shows that he’s creating a number of high-quality chances for team-mates, too.

Twitter will have you believe Jota’s form is streaky and that he’s inconsistent. But Mane was predictably unpredictable during his time with Southampton. He could go months without a goal and then he’d score eight in four.

Scoring is down to luck, getting into the dangerous areas is the real skill. If players show they’re able to do that, Jurgen Klopp and his coaching staff refine their approach and help develop them into more reliable outlets, just as they did with Salah and Mane.

Finally, the last thing to look for in a potential Liverpool attacker isn’t something you can quantify. Versatility is vital. The Reds use a system reliant on specific profiles in certain roles. The arrival of Jota means Mane can be moved to the right, for example, and Klopp’s men don’t lose the pace, directness or the goal threat on the left.

The former Atletico Madrid man can also play on the right and he’s played in a two-man attack for Wolves. He can cover across the front line and given his playing style is identical to the two wide forwards used by the Premier League champions, he can play in place or alongside the famed front three.

It might not seem like it right now but Jota for £45million is a bargain in the current climate. He may not have been the first choice but more often than not, the second choice signings are the best ones Liverpool make.

Really encouraging stats when compared to Southampton's Mane.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2020, 08:54:56 am »
I just remember that goal against Utd in the FA Cup I think it was. Very good goal

That one stood out in the highlights clip but fucking hell, it was truly woeful defending by United. He won’t get it as easy as that every game. :lmao

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2020, 08:59:52 am »
Love his dribbling style, and it's noticeable how comfortable he is on his left foot as well as his right.

Looking at the highlight videos, he actually seems to score more with his left. Definitely gives him options, and defenders headaches, no matter where he plays along the front line.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2020, 09:15:33 am »
He's got only 5 caps or something for them.  But their forward line is pretty tasty so he won't be a starter.
I noticed that too, although as you say - caps isn't always an indicator of anything. For example, Thiago is 29 and only has 39 caps, as for years he was competing with Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Silva, etc.

To highlight the point about quality squads - Eric Dier has more caps for England than Thiago does for Spain  ;D
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2020, 09:31:02 am »
Thanks for that, although I was getting a bit worried as it wasn't showing him finish anything until near the end. Actually watching his skills, he reminds me very much of that lad at Man City - Bernardo Manning is it?
 :-\

For me, his style is pretty much identical to Pedro.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2020, 09:34:38 am »
44 goals in 131 games for Wolves. Imagine how many goals he could get playing for us now. If he plays enough games that is.

Those are great numbers.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2020, 09:49:25 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jSovrPxkCdM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jSovrPxkCdM</a>

It's a madness how crazily two footed he is!!

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2020, 10:08:18 am »

It's a madness how crazily two footed he is!!

Jesus. Such clean strikes with either foot. No way you can watch that and pick which is his strongest foot.

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2020, 10:12:46 am »
Jesus. Such clean strikes with either foot. No way you can watch that and pick which is his strongest foot.

Absolutely agree, mate.

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2020, 10:16:25 am »
Really encouraging signs regarding Jota, I really believe he can turn into a real star with Klopp's guidance.
The fact that he can shoot with both feet is a really good trait to have, it will help him a lot.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2020, 10:23:39 am »
Our last no.20 was quite two footed!

His dribbling style/tenacity reminds me a bit of Suarez, dare I say it (albeit with more pace).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2020, 10:24:31 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6Cdw0DmheJc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6Cdw0DmheJc</a>

The way he dribbles with the ball reminds me of Suarez.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2020, 10:32:05 am »
Loves a nutmeg

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2020, 10:54:10 am »
Very smart signing, just on the verge of really exploding into a brilliant player. This reminds me so much of when we signed Mane

Offline jack1092

• Main Stander
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2020, 11:17:58 am »
Welcome Jota lad. Glad we went for him instead of Traore. Although Traore is a bit of a beast, I feel he is a bit of a one trick pony, well maybe two tricks. I think Jota is more of a footballer compared to Traore who is more of an athlete who can play a bit of football.

Happy about our new acquisitions this summer. Filled gaps and added genuine quality. Fantastic stuff

Funny, there are a couple of Wolves fans i follow through betting/horse racing, and they say the same. Rather have lost Traore in the long run than Jota, for all he finished last season off badly. They say he's the one with the potential in their side to be world class.

Offline jack1092

• Main Stander
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2020, 11:20:41 am »
He is undeniably a better player than Minamino. I think its like Klopp bought 2 shirts from a department store and going to keep the one he likes more.

He is? A little harsh on Minamino since we have hardly seen him.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2020, 11:27:39 am »
He is? A little harsh on Minamino since we have hardly seen him.

Agreed, a bit hyperbolic but I do think he has the potential to make more of an impact early in the season where Taki maybe still needs a bit of time to acclimatise to the league proper.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2020, 11:29:45 am »
I've always said we should sign him and I've always said he would fit us perfect. Just like Sadio.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2020, 11:30:23 am »
Honest t'god and hope to die
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family