Author Topic: Skybet Championship Thread  (Read 186235 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Skybet Championship Thread
« Reply #1400 on: May 13, 2021, 04:38:23 pm »
I saw Brentford about 6 or 7 times in the last couple of seasons but obviously not seen them in the flesh this season so can’t comment on Toney too much.

I always thought Rico Henry would be able to make the step up to the Premier League. He’s a bit Ashley Cole-lite in that he’s very solid one on one defensively and gets forward we’ll without being outstanding creatively. Think I saw today that Bertrand is leaving Southampton and he could do a job somewhere like there.

Nice to see Canos have a bit of a resurgence this year after missing a lot of last season. He seems to have scored and assisted a fair few and always looked out for him having coming from us.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1401 on: May 13, 2021, 05:11:45 pm »
I saw Brentford about 6 or 7 times in the last couple of seasons but obviously not seen them in the flesh this season so can’t comment on Toney too much.

I always thought Rico Henry would be able to make the step up to the Premier League. He’s a bit Ashley Cole-lite in that he’s very solid one on one defensively and gets forward we’ll without being outstanding creatively. Think I saw today that Bertrand is leaving Southampton and he could do a job somewhere like there.

Nice to see Canos have a bit of a resurgence this year after missing a lot of last season. He seems to have scored and assisted a fair few and always looked out for him having coming from us.
Henry is very solid - rapid too which helps. He could oddly suit being a back up at somewhere like City, using a lopsided formation and depending on outstanding recovery pace when there's a turnover. He definitely is good enough for a Southampton or Villa etc. He's a bit like a Nathaniel Clyne type in my eyes.

Yeah very good to see Canos doing so well, he's taken on more minutes with Benrahma, Watkins and Maupay all departing within a year of each other and taken the chance well - really good production numbers this season. He does feel to me like someone who has found his level - upper end of the Championship - but he's technically very sound and it's easy to forget he's only 24. Has a bit of magic in him at times but he doesn't often consistently show it. He's at the level of a Knockaert or a Taarabt in my eyes - probably oddly too good for the Championship but not going to rip up any trees in the division above.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1402 on: May 17, 2021, 12:55:07 pm »
Playoffs tonight then.

Bournemouth vs Brentford at 6. Barnsley vs Swansea at 8.15.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1403 on: May 17, 2021, 12:58:43 pm »
Playoffs tonight then.

Bournemouth vs Brentford at 6. Barnsley vs Swansea at 8.15.

Is there going to be crowds?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1404 on: May 17, 2021, 03:56:33 pm »
Is there going to be crowds?

Think there's 4000 in.

My heart wants Barnsley or Brentford to come up. My head wants Bournemouth to come up just so they give us £20m each for all of our cast offs.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1405 on: May 17, 2021, 04:01:56 pm »
Up the Bees.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1406 on: May 17, 2021, 04:02:48 pm »
Think they’re the worst of the four clubs in terms of quality, but I’m hoping my hometown club Swansea go up, not least because of the good it would do the city to have PL football here again. And it would be nice to see Steve Cooper and Mike Marsh achieve that given their links with Liverpool.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1407 on: May 17, 2021, 04:15:52 pm »
Up the Bees.

Is right, Northfields Phil.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1408 on: May 17, 2021, 07:19:18 pm »
Bournemouth up 1, nice counter attack goal.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1409 on: May 17, 2021, 08:00:29 pm »
Can’t say I’ve watched any of Brentford this season but they seem their usual disappointing selves after 90 minutes.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1410 on: May 17, 2021, 08:09:02 pm »
Bonkers Barnsley on now.  Come on you Tykes 😁

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #1411 on: May 17, 2021, 08:28:08 pm »
Do spectators have to wear a mask? If so, almost all of the Barnsley fans haven’t read the guidelines!!

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #1412 on: May 17, 2021, 08:30:47 pm »
Hope Barnsley go up, proper northern football ground that.

Also who remembers the crazy 1997-98 game at Oakwell? Finished 3-2 and a fan ran on the pitch to attack the referee after he sent a Barnsley player off!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:37:14 pm by RobinHood »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1413 on: May 17, 2021, 08:41:16 pm »
Do spectators have to wear a mask? If so, almost all of the Barnsley fans haven’t read the guidelines!!

Not many have followed the guidelines since the pandemic started that's one reason I'm now living in Wales!

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #1414 on: May 17, 2021, 08:44:05 pm »
Not many have followed the guidelines since the pandemic started that's one reason I'm now living in Wales!

:D :D

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1415 on: May 17, 2021, 08:54:34 pm »
Good finish by Ayew.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1416 on: May 17, 2021, 08:56:52 pm »
Both these teams seem terrible.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1417 on: May 17, 2021, 08:58:07 pm »
Haven’t seen Barnsley until tonight. Have to say they’re a little ‘agricultural’ in comparison to the other top teams in the Championship. Dickie Bird and Parky are/were Oakwell regulars I think?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1418 on: May 17, 2021, 09:03:38 pm »
Haven’t seen Barnsley until tonight. Have to say they’re a little ‘agricultural’ in comparison to the other top teams in the Championship. Dickie Bird and Parky are/were Oakwell regulars I think?

They're definitely not pretty which is why I said bonkers Barnsley earlier. 

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1419 on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:14 pm »

Indeed - I’m getting 70s deja vu😄
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1420 on: May 17, 2021, 09:35:59 pm »

Just ask Georgi Hristov.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1421 on: May 17, 2021, 09:37:13 pm »
Barnsley for me, just for academy memories with my lad. Seems a lifetime ago.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1422 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:25 pm »
Hinchcliffe chats so much crap

Always describes everything with so much hindsight and makes everything sound like he was peak Zidane

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1423 on: May 17, 2021, 09:58:15 pm »
Barnsley are shit. They’d get wellied week in week out in the Premier League.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1424 on: May 17, 2021, 09:59:01 pm »
Just glad to listen to commentary that doesn't include Tyler or Neville, to be honest!

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1425 on: May 17, 2021, 10:08:29 pm »
After watching Barnsley lumping it into the box for 90 minutes already feeling nervous for Wednesday night

Swansea win 1-0

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1426 on: May 17, 2021, 10:09:44 pm »
I'd really rather have either Bournemouth or Brentford go up. Swansea just bore the hell out of me.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1427 on: May 17, 2021, 10:09:56 pm »
Barnsley are shit. They’d get wellied week in week out in the Premier League.

“A fantastic game of football” apparently 🙄

It was the football I felt most sorry for.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1428 on: May 17, 2021, 10:10:01 pm »
Either team should lose to whoever advances between Brentford and Bournemouth or they’ll come right back down.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1429 on: May 18, 2021, 09:05:05 am »
Is right, Northfields Phil.

They were poor weren't they.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1430 on: May 18, 2021, 10:09:09 am »
They were poor weren't they.

Didn’t watch but sounded a pretty cagey game. Still in the balance, they could turn it around.

Based on a draw poll of one Bees fan I know, he doesn’t even want to come up. They do look like they’d struggle if they made it up, but as said if they do turn it around against Bournemouth I’d fancy them to win the final.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1431 on: May 18, 2021, 10:12:12 am »
Brentford are becoming Derby mark II.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1432 on: May 18, 2021, 10:19:39 am »
Didn’t watch but sounded a pretty cagey game. Still in the balance, they could turn it around.

Based on a draw poll of one Bees fan I know, he doesn’t even want to come up. They do look like they’d struggle if they made it up, but as said if they do turn it around against Bournemouth I’d fancy them to win the final.

I reckon they'll be a different animal at home but Bournemouth just looked more physical and although nothing amazing themselves they have the stronger squad even though they lost Cook the skipper to injury.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1433 on: May 18, 2021, 10:23:01 am »
Still think Brentford have it in them to turn in around. They're a far better team than Bournemouth, as the league table has borne out. If Bournemouth do come up, they will need heavy investment or they'll be straight back down. They're the same squad that got relegated, but older and without all their best players who left (Wilson, Fraser, Ake etc). Brooks still a talent though.

I've said since their charge from February that it's good for the football league for Barnsley to come up and a great story, but as far as squad strength goes, they're probably not too dissimilar a level to Billy Davies' Derby that got the record low points in the league. Their best player will also leave if they don't come up as they probably can't afford the optional fee they agreed without PL money.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1434 on: May 18, 2021, 01:01:37 pm »
Not sure if any of you know but Billy Beane is part of a consortium that bought Barnsley and they've been using analytics rather than cash to get where they are.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/barnsley-championship-promotion-moneyball-billy-beane-11621176691

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1435 on: May 18, 2021, 01:08:35 pm »
Not sure if any of you know but Billy Beane is part of a consortium that bought Barnsley and they've been using analytics rather than cash to get where they are.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/barnsley-championship-promotion-moneyball-billy-beane-11621176691
I like to think Billy Beane looks exactly like Brad Pitt and is very much like he was portrayed in Moneyball. For that reason, I'm in.

It's been a fascinating rise for Barnsley given how close to League One they came last season. It just strikes me as far, far too early in their development for them to go up. Is there ever a bad time to get into the Premier League? I'm not sure. I am sure they get some heavy hidings and lack the financial backing to make the acquisitions to keep them in the division. Swansea aren't exactly fearsome themselves.

Brentford are the only team worth watching out of the four and they're in a difficult situation.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1436 on: May 18, 2021, 01:29:02 pm »
I like to think Billy Beane looks exactly like Brad Pitt and is very much like he was portrayed in Moneyball. For that reason, I'm in.

It's been a fascinating rise for Barnsley given how close to League One they came last season. It just strikes me as far, far too early in their development for them to go up. Is there ever a bad time to get into the Premier League? I'm not sure. I am sure they get some heavy hidings and lack the financial backing to make the acquisitions to keep them in the division. Swansea aren't exactly fearsome themselves.

Brentford are the only team worth watching out of the four and they're in a difficult situation.

Hubby said exactly that when it looked like they might make the playoffs.  Far too early for them to succeed in the PL if they got promoted so he's quite happy with how well they've done already with such a young squad.

As far as I know their finances are pretty decent.  As of their last accounts they've no external debt and healthy cash deposits mainly because they don't go stupid with wages and transfers.

They also have a pretty successful academy that unlike Brentford are happy to sell on their upcoming stars to finance other things.

Paul does get annoyed with senior players wanting to leave as soon as they have any success, like after they got promoted and won the vanarama trophy a few years ago.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1437 on: May 18, 2021, 02:39:04 pm »
Hubby said exactly that when it looked like they might make the playoffs.  Far too early for them to succeed in the PL if they got promoted so he's quite happy with how well they've done already with such a young squad.

As far as I know their finances are pretty decent.  As of their last accounts they've no external debt and healthy cash deposits mainly because they don't go stupid with wages and transfers.

They also have a pretty successful academy that unlike Brentford are happy to sell on their upcoming stars to finance other things.

Paul does get annoyed with senior players wanting to leave as soon as they have any success, like after they got promoted and won the vanarama trophy a few years ago.

Brentford closed their Academy.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1438 on: May 18, 2021, 02:49:05 pm »

They're a really interested club and have done great this season, I wouldn't begrudge any Barnsley fan who is just chuffed and even a bit surprised that they find themselves where they do - it's been a triumph of coaching, their youth set up and scouting. It's a shame they haven't got an extra season out of some of the good young players they've sold in recent years, but by and large they've got decent fees for them and from what you say, it's managed sensibly.

A good model to look at for the rest of the Championship - half of them are in FFP measures, more than half operating at a loss even pre-covid then others depend on out of this world-scouting to keep themselves chugging along.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: May 18, 2021, 03:47:02 pm »
Brentford closed their Academy.

I know that's I made the comparison of Barnsley being happy selling their young talents.