Author Topic: Football Died in 1974  (Read 5767 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Football Died in 1974
« on: February 4, 2004, 12:52:53 pm »
Football died in 1974. A curious and controversial statement I admit, but people who were brought up on the game we played when Shankly was our boss will always consider everything that followed, negative.

From 2-3-5 to 4-5-1 can hardly be described as anything else.

Negative football or playing on the break, began long before Houllier's reign and has always proved successful in the past. Don't confuse negative with boring, that is not my intention. The only difference is success, in my opinion.

When we played 4-4-1-1 in the times of Rush and Kenny no one had the balls to say it was negative, cos of the amount of trophies amassed. But like it or not we were playing on the break, even in those times.

Football that I was brought up on died with Shanks. I grew to appreciate the improved strategies of Paisley, but it was still more negative than what we were used to at that time.

All out attacking football in this country died in 1973/74. If you're curious have a look at how many 1-0's there were that year. To be more successful both domestically and in Europe we had to change with the times.

But what about the treble year as an example I can hear some saying? Surely anyone who calls that negative is talking bollocks especially considering the 5-4 victory in a Euro final. However I think the point they were making was about our domestic performances that year. Compared to what preceded it many years before, IT WAS.

It's all very easy telling us older fans to come up to date and live in the current world, but we cannot forget our memories. I will never forget the Inter Milan night in 1965, I can't. We camped out in their half for 88 mins out of 90. Were we successful? Yes on the night, but we went out in the second leg.

Slightly younger fans will recall the 1977 St. Etienne night, different game, different strategy, some would say more successful, we qualified for the semis. I would have to agree, but more negative none the less. We were only camped in their half for 75 mins

It's not Liverpool who have made the game as a whole as negative as it is today, although I believe we originated the idea. It's all the other teams trying to emulate the success we had, by copying our style. One defensive team does not make a poor premiership.

If you ever get the opportunity to watch the 1970 World Cup, enjoy it. Shortly after, the game as we knew it died. No World Cup has ever been so exciting since. Frankly, I could blame the GERRRRRMANS and particularly their Beckenbauer inspired side, for killing international football but then again, when don't I?

1974 saw the horizon of a new style of football. It's no coincidence that the following 15 years were our most successful.

Success clouds the mind. You will forgive anything for success. Even the shite, we've been watching for the last 18 months.

If we win the FA Cup and Uefa Cup this year, fans and the board, will even accept 5th AGAIN. Save it and ram it down me throat in May if you want. But do enter into the discussion.

I need something to keep me going until the Bolton game.

© Wooltonian 2004
« Last Edit: February 4, 2004, 02:02:34 pm by Rushian »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Football Died in 1974 (Discuss)
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2004, 01:05:50 pm »
I know what you're saying....but in reply: 1988.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Bossmann

• Anny Roader
  • Fans favourite
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2004, 01:14:40 pm »
I tend to blame the Italians for the ultra tactical game we have today. Or more exacly the argentinian Helenio Herrera who took control over Inter Milan in the sixties (might have been 1959) and developed the defensive tactics that has lived on for decades.

Well, even in this times of defensive tactics and intelligent (footballwise) players there isn´t much that is more entertaining then a good game of football, either you play or watch it.

Offline cochyn

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2004, 01:14:45 pm »
Interesting slant on the game there Wooly. Been reading John Keith's book on Billy L; some of the scorelines recalled from his day were phenomenal by todays 'standard'.   I always thought it was the 'Catenaccio' sides Inter Milan put out in the '50's (?) that started this 'dogshit football' ball rolling. It just took 20 years for everyone else to catch on.  :-\

Maybe we should adopt a points system for scoreless draws. After all, you never see boxers curled up in the corner hoping to ride out the onslaught do you? :D
Oh the heavy water how it enfolds. The salt, the spray, the gorgeous undertow.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2004, 02:30:15 pm »
Interesting slant on the game there Wooly. Been reading John Keith's book on Billy L; some of the scorelines recalled from his day were phenomenal by todays 'standard'.   I always thought it was the 'Catenaccio' sides Inter Milan put out in the '50's (?) that started this 'dogshit football' ball rolling. It just took 20 years for everyone else to catch on.  :-\

Maybe we should adopt a points system for scoreless draws. After all, you never see boxers curled up in the corner hoping to ride out the onslaught do you? :D

You're absolutely right Muhammed Ali never adopted those tactics againts Joe Frazier did he???
@ManifoldReasons

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Football Died in 1974
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2004, 06:21:29 pm »
Hi,
The stats don't really seem to bear your arguments out  Woolly - there were progressively fewer goals from the early 60s on as teams adopted the 4-4-2 as Winterbottom/Ramsey modified it and applied it to english football ....wasn't  its first really successful league application by ipswich rising up the Divisions and winning div 1 under ramsay ?? then along came managers like Revie and Shankly who  believed in closing  down as the first priority ....
I'll repeat that last question I asked in reply to your post last week - in 1971-2 (I was only  about  8  at the time)  did the fans accept that shankly wasrebuilding from the back, and  accept injuries as an excuse for just  42  league goals in 42 league games, with the MAJORITY of all our games home and away  being either 0-0  or 1-0 

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2004, 08:14:14 pm »
Hi,
The stats don't really seem to bear your arguments out  Woolly.

or your argument either if u look at these stats:-

In the 1950's are top goalscorers were as follows:
Billy liddel - 178 goals
john evans - 49 goals

1960's
roger hunt - 236 goals
ian st john - 95 goals

1970's
john toshack - 74 goals
keegan - 68 goals   

1980's
rush - 156 goals
dalglish - 67 goals

1990's
robbie fowler - 109 goals
ian rush - 73 goals.

Most goals we ever scored in one season at anfield was 68 - in1961/62
season
the fewest goals we scored at anfield in one season was 1990

Gerard houllier's side which was criticized widely for being boring and negative in 2001/2002 got over a 100 goals in that season.

stats can prove anything u like if u adapt them correctly towards your case.

i agree with wooly in the sense that tactical somewhat defensive tactics isn't boring football.  Barnes compared football of bygone years to a chessmatch where as he slated some modern day football comparing it to basketball. End to end, thoughtless like schoolyard football.

wot next make the goals bigger?  :-\

allez allez

Offline Big Rob

• Boys Pen
  • B.Mf., School of Hard Knocks, 1998
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2004, 09:35:01 pm »
How's 'bout we just declare that all teams participating in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw get no points?  Maybe that'll teach 'em.  But, when Everton play someone like Wolves, both sides would conspire to draw 2-2 to ensure points.  There'd need to be some sort of rule of no intentional scoring or such.

By the way, concerning the World Cup, was Holland's Total Football really that boring in '74?
I am a Social Engineer because there is no patch for human stupidity.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobodomy.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2004, 01:18:47 pm »
Nige you've fell into the most obvious of traps.
Fewer goals does not necessarily mean less attacking football.
You only have to refer to the Derby at the weekend or Sunderland last year.
Both 0-0 but we attacked for the full 90 mins.
However, if you refer to goals scored in the periods, I'm convinced I was watching the net bulge more in the 60's than the 70's.

I started this debate, due to the most improved performance of the year in my eyes ie the 0-0 Derby.
We piled on the pressure like in days of old. We were relentless.

Anyone who thinks negative football was brought to the hallowed halls by Houllier is wrong.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to look at the big picture.
We have been more successful, playing strategic football as brought through by Bob, than at any other time in our history.

I can remember times in the 80's were some fans, me included, nearly got bored with winning every week.
Bloody daft really, but we often sat back, absorbed the pressure, broke fast and scored.

1981/82 I think was a year when we regularly put 3, 4 or even 5 past opposition.
I cant pin point the actual game, but I'm sure at maine road one year we put 4 or 5 past them from 6 breaks max.
SIX attacks, Six shots, Four/Five goals.
The game itself was sh!te.
We spent more time in our own half than theirs.

Frankly I've seen more attacking and enjoyable performances from us, where we've been beaten.

Think about Liverpool currently playing a team with 3 defenders RB, CB, LB, 2 mids RH LH and 5 attackers RW IR CF IL LW. ie
            Kirkland

Finnan Henchoz Carra

Gerrard Didi

Diouf Pongo Heskey Owen Kewell

Thats the type of line up, we used to watch, but all the front 5 could score goals.
You would certainly be entertained, even if we won nowt.

Success on the other hand is different.
You cannot play a cavalier team like above.  You must adopt Bob's strategy, whichever way you look at it, it's more negative.

I've seen an awful lot of success in my life, but what I miss most is Entertainment, not success.

Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2004, 09:22:28 pm »
so given your radical new (ahem I mean old)  3-2-5 approach (and yes we'd win nowt) what would your views be on Mighty Mouse himself as a potential LFC manager one day (my worst nightmare meself) ... are you preparing yourself to post  the case for Keegan one of these days ???

and on another tack, from all the filmage I've seen and accounts I 've read I  do think that  athough   63-74 was the era of the British  learning to play 4-4-2  and learning to defend better, in Liverpool's case that  coincided exactly  with the era  of  teams  by and large coming to Anfield expecting to get beat, and the Kop as 12th man and Mr shankly's fire in the Red bellies gave the the most brilliant excuse for MOST opposition sides to  roll over ... when did (then) good sides  like Spurs or west Ham EVER look like they thought they had a chance at anfield in those days ?

PS soz about the careless mistake above (I meant 70-71 of course)

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2004, 11:31:20 pm »
Wooly - What do you think Footy will be like in thirty years time (in terms of tactics)?

Do you think it will go full circle and attacking formations will become the norm again?

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2004, 12:32:00 am »
With respect Wooly, and speaking as someone who is almost (but not quite ;) ) as old as you, and therefore sharing the same memories, are you perhaps guilty of offering up what is no more than an opinion, as if it were fact?
My opinion is different.
Shankly's teams may well have battered everyone at Anfield with wave after wave of non stop attacking football, whether it was Inter Milan or some 4th div side in the early rounds of the cup. But away from home we were negative and pretty dull to watch. There was an obvious intention to win the home games, and draw the aways back then, and it was something we did well.

We thrashed Man City at their place 4 or 5 years on the run I think in the early 80's. I was present at them all (except the one played on the day my darling daughter was born) and the football was imo, quite brilliant. So again a big difference in the way we saw those times. I last went to City the year they last went down, and in the pub before the game, the fellers we were talking to said our team back then was the best they had ever seen.
And although the Rush/Dalglish team you mentioned COULD play counter attacking stuff, and lets face it, it was such a multi talented team it could play whichever way the circumstances dictated, it was wrong to call it a definate strategy. (imo of course).
 To counter attack, the other team has to have the ball in the 1st place, and when they lose it, we then hit them fast and hard. That team of ours however, never used to let the other team have the ball.
Even at international level, obviously no team has, or probably ever will match that Brazil team from 1970. But it wasn't that long after, we were then treated to the delights of Europe's very own Brazil. None other than Cruyff's Holland, and total football was born.
I wish Liverpool were negative like that now!
 ;)
Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the Barnes/Beardsley team, which was surely the most attack minded LFC team any of us has ever seen! Home AND away!
 :)
« Last Edit: February 6, 2004, 12:37:02 am by Ian_Ian_K »

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2004, 11:56:05 am »
Nige
It is not my intention to give you nightmares, far from it.
If the formation of ;
            Kirkland

Finnan Henchoz Carra

Gerrard Didi

Diouf Pongo Heskey Owen Kewell

Looks to exciting, perhaps the following might be more to your liking ;
            Kirkland

Finnan Henchoz Carra

Gerrard Didi
Diouf                     Kewell

Pongo Heskey Owen

The selection of Keegan as manager, would not be such a nightmare, if he had a bootroom philosophy like Shankly had.

Emsy
I would expect that football would become a summer game, before 30 years is up.
With the World Cups being held in OUR WINTER period, where it is Summer in other countries.
As to tactics, I can see it becoming more and more like Rugby or American Football where players can come off and on as many times as the coach sees necessary.
I can see television changing the game into 4 quarters of 15 mins.
With the clock stopping everytime it's out of play.
Stats on sky have recently shown that the ball is seldom "In Play" for much longer than 60 mins.
The idea of extra time (Overtime as the yanks call it) to decide league games is not years away.
2 points for a score draw is not 30 years away.
But I would think 2 point for an away draw and 1 for home is nearer.
Decisions by camera is a lot nearer.

Will the game improve over the next 30 years ? Who knows.
But I'm convinced only the MEGA BUCK sides will win trophies.

Ian K
I started this thread to get a debate going in forum, not to enjoy front page status.
Although it does contain some of my opinion, other points are raised in the interest of debate only.
It was and is my opinion that, at times in the 80's I got bored thrashing mediocre opposition, with "on the break football"
The 6-0 thrashing of Norwich in 1979 and the 5-0 humiliating of City in 1982, were in my opinion CRAP matches from a spectators point of view.
And in all the time I have spent reading and writing about matches since, never once have I heard them mentioned alongside the likes of Inter Milan or St Ettienne or in anyones top 10 games.

Why do you think that is ?

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2004, 06:14:40 pm »
Possibly because it’s not comparing like with like.
 Anyone who thinks those big wins you mention were comparable in ANY way with the wins over Inter or St Etienne, would be a bit mad frankly.
But if I asked people who are old enough to remember them, to compare the AWAY performances of Shanks’ teams with those Reds teams that followed, I’m pretty sure a big majority would judge in favour of what followed.
Believe me, speaking about Shankly in anything other than glowing terms doesn’t come naturally or easily to me, I love the man. But it’s the way I remember it.

That succession of games against City at Maine Rd in the late 70’s/early80’s finished 4-0, 4-1, 3-0, 5-0, and 4-0. You can only achieve that by being attack minded, and I would maintain that you can’t play counter attacking footie when you’ve always got possession of the ball, which we invariably did. Not that there’s anything wrong with counter attacking footie when it’s played properly. This current team certainly does not play it properly.

The 79 team only conceded 16 goals, not cos the defence was so great, in fact many said if that team had a weakness it was in defence. We conceded so few cos the other team never had the ball long enough to threaten us. I’m always going to be bullish in defence of this team because I believe it to be, not just the beat LFC team ever, but the best English club side ever. And taking it even further, there are possibly only the great Milan, and the first Ajax sides that I would rate higher on a European scale. It was certainly imo a better team than the current R.Madrid side which is inconsistent and lacks guts.
It wasn't just attacking football we played back then, it was QUALITY attacking football.

So many other away games during this period that were superb too imo,  5’s scored at Norwich, Stoke, Everton, W.Brom, W.Ham, Chelsea, and Sheff Wed. 6 scored at Coventry and 7 at Derby. It would be pointless mentioning the 4’s cos there were too many, and the 3’s would go on forever.
Such scores away from home were much scarcer in ALL of Shankly’s championship winning teams.

When Rushie came on to the scene, I accept we utilized his pace by playing more long passes, (not the same as long balls), but this alone doesn’t constitute an actual counter attacking strategy.

And what’s this “I didn’t do it to attract headlines” nonsense either. I never said you did. Apologies if it came across that way though I don’t see how you could have thought that from what I said.
I daresay it made the home page because it was good, as your stuff tends to be.
Doesn't mean I have to agree with you though.

I accept the golden age of attacking football was back in the halcyon days of 2 – 3 – 5 formations. Huge numbers of goals both scored and conceded, and I couldn’t believe what I thought I heard on the telly the other night during that great Spurs/City replay. I think the commentator said one of the teams involved was relegated in a season when they scored more goals than anyone else, which is incredible. I was only half listening at the time so perhaps I imagined it.

I suppose we are both guilty of generalising, and could each point to individual scores to undermine the others points, but even allowing for this, I’m still struggling to accept Shankly’s teams were more attacking generally speaking, than the successful teams of Paisley, Fagan or Dalglish which followed, though I think Kenny did become more pragmatic after losing the cup final to Wimbledon.
We beg to differ!
 ;)

P.S.  You are probably right about that Norwich game you mentioned. So great I can't remember it, even though I must have been there.
 ???
« Last Edit: February 6, 2004, 07:54:42 pm by Ian_Ian_K »