The Liverpool FC Forum > Media and Arts

band - the order of things

(1/3) > >>

Matt S:
we need a demo - to get gigs. HAVE to do this over christmas the main problem is recording the drums. we have discussed a few options.

1. Go to a studio, get something tracked and send it off. Not sure of the cost of this yet.

2. buy a condensor mic (can get them for about 80-100 quid now, split 4 ways isnt that much) and record in my garage. will still get a basic idea of what were about?

3. hire some bloke we know with the gear & knowhow - hire the hall we reherse in. he costs £10 a hour, the boys reckon we might need a couple of days - i thought it would be abit quicker to be honest.

so can anyone suggest anything? Couple of them are on about sending it to record companies too, but I dont see the point personally. Need to get some more gigs before anything else.

smorgasbords:
Small venues usually don't care that much about the sound of a band as long as you can promise to bring people, so tell them you've got a gargantuan fanbase.

If you're just recording stuff as a demo for venues, it doesn't have to amazing quality; the advantage of going into a studio is that you might be able to sell copies of the CD to people with less embarrassment.

The Shure SM58 mic's very reliable; it's not a condensor, but in tandem with a couple of other mics it'd be fine, you need 3 typically to record a drumkit well.

The time it takes to record is really dependent on how you go about it; whether you record live takes or do it an instrument at a time, obviously the latter takes longer, but requires less equipment.

Best of luck mate!

Matt S:
thanks for that. I said they wouldnt care about the quality as long as it got our sound across but they wernt convinced. I think the drummer will be the hardest to convince as its his instrument that will sound the shittest.

smorgasbords:
Thing is, it's usually only drummers who can notice when their instrument sounds shit on recording, as long as it's well played. I don't know what you're recording onto, but the main thing to check is that you don't have too much hi-freq in the balance, as the hi-hat can really irritating if you do.

Venues are used to getting bedroom type demos, I don't think they chuck them based on the band's recording budget.

Matt S:

--- Quote from: smorgasbords on November 14, 2005, 12:42:08 am ---Thing is, it's usually only drummers who can notice when their instrument sounds shit on recording, as long as it's well played. I don't know what you're recording onto, but the main thing to check is that you don't have too much hi-freq in the balance, as the hi-hat can really irritating if you do.

Venues are used to getting bedroom type demos, I don't think they chuck them based on the band's recording budget.

--- End quote ---

exactly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version