Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 313062 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2800 on: April 17, 2021, 08:34:06 pm »
Scott Manley on SpaceX winning the lunar lander contest.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GuSM_-Aw5HM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GuSM_-Aw5HM</a>

Looks like it came down to the fact SpaceX was the only entrant able and willing to adjust their timeline to fit the budget set by congress.  Now congress is pissed off because NASA didn't give it to Northrop Grumman or Lockheed Martin - even though they're the ones who set the fucking budget. ::)

But now the pressure will be on SpaceX to deliver a lunar lander that's roughly half the size of a Saturn 1B. :o
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2801 on: April 18, 2021, 07:10:45 pm »
Mars helicopter is going to fly tomorrow. 3.15am PT, 6.15am ET, 10.15 GMT!

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2802 on: April 19, 2021, 11:56:41 am »
Mars helicopter is going to fly tomorrow. 3.15am PT, 6.15am ET, 10.15 GMT!

Success!! Well in NASA.
Take that flat earthers.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2803 on: April 19, 2021, 12:37:05 pm »

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #2804 on: April 19, 2021, 01:31:55 pm »
Would you believe, they flew a drone on Mars

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2805 on: April 19, 2021, 02:06:57 pm »
NASA Spaceflight also reporting SN15 static fire rest tomorrow with possible launch Wednesday

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2806 on: April 22, 2021, 08:38:22 am »
Flight number 2 for Ingenuity today and possible static fire for SN15. Think it's been delayed by, you guessed it, an issue with one of the raptors.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2807 on: April 22, 2021, 10:03:07 am »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2808 on: April 22, 2021, 01:14:49 pm »
A lot of "proof of concept" technology has gone into this mission it seems. Reminds me a bit of pathfinder back in the 90s.  We've come a long way. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2809 on: April 22, 2021, 03:15:06 pm »
Ingenuity flight number 2 successful!

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2810 on: April 22, 2021, 07:59:11 pm »
A lot of "proof of concept" technology has gone into this mission it seems. Reminds me a bit of pathfinder back in the 90s.  We've come a long way. :)
Technology demonstration missions are usually tagged up to a Flagship mission, the MarCO satellites relayed telemetry during the "six minutes of terror" for Curiosity. But these two on Perseverance were much more special, and the helicopter, of course, catches everyone's attention. I'd be looking forward to way past its 4th flight (the 4th just qualifies it for the next year's CL :D ). And the maximum oxygen produced rate is critical for MOXIE, not just the fact that we can make and collect oxygen on Mars.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2811 on: April 22, 2021, 08:39:09 pm »
Technology demonstration missions are usually tagged up to a Flagship mission, the MarCO satellites relayed telemetry during the "six minutes of terror" for Curiosity. But these two on Perseverance were much more special, and the helicopter, of course, catches everyone's attention. I'd be looking forward to way past its 4th flight (the 4th just qualifies it for the next year's CL :D ). And the maximum oxygen produced rate is critical for MOXIE, not just the fact that we can make and collect oxygen on Mars.

In its first run, MOXIE produced 5 grams of oxygen, equivalent to about 10 minutes of breathable oxygen for an astronaut carrying out normal activity.

MOXIE's engineers will now run more tests and try to step up its output. It is designed to be able to generate up to 10 grams of oxygen per hour.

MIT engineer Michael Hecht said a one ton version of MOXIE could produce the approximately 55,000 pounds (25 tons) of oxygen needed for a rocket to blast off from Mars.  Cannot find a reference about how long it would take
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2812 on: April 22, 2021, 08:47:54 pm »
^^^ They don't know how long would it take yet. The different MOXIE runs have different targets. The first was a technology demonstration that you could carry out the catalytic decomposition in Mars environment at reasonable current (heat) and you could make oxygen. They've done just that, which is a feather in their hat. Now they have to step it up to much higher current where the production becomes more efficient; if this is ever used, it will be in that regime. But MOXIE is very power hungry, keeping it at 600-800C even in the Martian day, even with the aerogel insulation, takes power. And keep in mind that the rover has an RTG that produces only ~100W of power, a light bulb level... MOXIE may never reach its full potential because of insufficient power (it's actually likely), but the oxygen production should scale with power in a certain way, and they will try to extend the range as much as possible.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2813 on: April 22, 2021, 10:48:26 pm »
Great.  A rover pottering around Mars, farting oxygen. :D

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2814 on: April 22, 2021, 10:57:24 pm »
Great.  A rover pottering around Mars, farting oxygen. :D
A bit like and Ent, but on six wheels instead of two legs. :D

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2815 on: April 23, 2021, 10:43:13 am »
Crew Dragon launch atop Falcon 9 to the ISS in T-6 mins

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2816 on: April 23, 2021, 08:29:44 pm »
A bit like and Ent, but on six wheels instead of two legs. :D

I guess Ents fart out of their heads :D

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2817 on: April 23, 2021, 09:00:05 pm »
SN15 delayed again... they’ve replaced 2 raptors already ....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2818 on: April 23, 2021, 09:47:07 pm »
They don't seem to be coping well with the upgrades

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2819 on: April 24, 2021, 07:46:50 am »
All of a sudden, SpaceX seem to be struggling. Or is this just a natural consequence of documenting progress so publicly?

I'm sure they'll iron it out in the end.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2820 on: April 25, 2021, 04:39:55 pm »
Flight number 3 for Ingenuity completed!

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2821 on: April 25, 2021, 09:06:15 pm »
Flight number 3 for Ingenuity completed!
Pictures from the helicopter in this article:
https://www.space.com/mars-helicopter-ingenuity-preps-for-3rd-flight

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2822 on: April 25, 2021, 09:23:45 pm »
Road and beach closure around Boca Chica tomorrow so we should have a static fire

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2823 on: April 25, 2021, 09:24:03 pm »

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2824 on: April 25, 2021, 11:30:04 pm »
These are from flight 2 right?
I don't know, mate. The data should be flowing at this time and I thought it's from today, but you could be right.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #2825 on: April 26, 2021, 08:10:30 am »
Flight 3 for Ingenuity can be found here.

https://youtu.be/kNx9hcrUpww
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2826 on: April 26, 2021, 10:38:19 pm »
For those interested then SN15 is about to do its static fire in the next 25 minutes or so

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2827 on: April 26, 2021, 10:46:51 pm »
Just under 10 minutes away

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2828 on: April 26, 2021, 11:09:31 pm »
Completed, seemed to be successful so hopefully launch in a day or two. Keep an eye out for TFR around Boca Chica.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2829 on: April 27, 2021, 06:47:08 am »
Now preparing for flight later this week.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2830 on: April 28, 2021, 06:54:20 am »
Now preparing for flight later this week.
Keep us posted, mate, as soon as you know a date.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2831 on: April 28, 2021, 07:02:06 am »
There was a second static fire last night.  Speculation is that it was from the header tanks.

Seems like only a couple of engines fired up and it was quite short.  But this might have been on purpose of course

(Musk says all went well)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:07:58 am by TepidT2O »
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2832 on: April 28, 2021, 07:21:37 am »
Some time ago, Musk said that they'd have a mission to Mars in 2015. So did Arno Wielders of Mars One (the fake company). Did I believe that? Not for a moment. But what's the difference? Musk will get there. Would it be before NASA? I don't think so just because NASA would have to save face; they will do it together. I don't like Musk's personality and his approach to swaying public perception, but he is the driving force to Mars second to none.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2833 on: April 28, 2021, 08:57:43 am »
Mary (@Bocachicagal) from NASA Spaceflight is the one to follow on Twitter for when we're likely to launch. She lives in Boca Chica so gets the warnings for road closures and when things are about to happen. So when she gets the next one through the door we'll know when it's about to happen.

Was definitely a header tank static fire as confirmed by Musk, which is new for them. Fingers crossed for a flight tomorrow or Friday

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2834 on: April 28, 2021, 12:13:01 pm »
Some time ago, Musk said that they'd have a mission to Mars in 2015. So did Arno Wielders of Mars One (the fake company). Did I believe that? Not for a moment. But what's the difference? Musk will get there. Would it be before NASA? I don't think so just because NASA would have to save face; they will do it together. I don't like Musk's personality and his approach to swaying public perception, but he is the driving force to Mars second to none.

NASA and Musk are doing it all wrong.
Its easy. You get some apaches to chase you into a cave where you can astral project yourself there.
You'll get super strength and a v.tidy Martian princess as well.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2835 on: April 28, 2021, 05:41:50 pm »
RIP Michael Collins. Ad Astra and safe travels.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2836 on: April 28, 2021, 09:19:37 pm »
Always loved this photo that he took. Every human within the frame - bar him. How lonely must he have felt.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2837 on: April 29, 2021, 07:22:56 am »
He was a colossal. Very much the unsung hero and if you watch his interview with PBS just a year ago you'll see what an absolute fantastic guy he was. So dignified, down to earth and intelligent, even at that age. He's always spoken about being alone in the Command module when Neil and Buzz descended and how he enjoyed the peace and space he had to himself.

Easily the very best of mankind.

Rest in Peace Michael.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2838 on: April 29, 2021, 11:49:54 am »
Always loved this photo that he took. Every human within the frame - bar him. How lonely must he have felt.
Every living thing in existence, that we know of, in the entire universe is in that frame :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2839 on: April 29, 2021, 12:25:49 pm »
Every living thing in existence, that we know of, in the entire universe is in that frame :wave
Except one human of course - amazing photo.

I wonder what Collins would have done had Armstrong and Aldrin been unable to take off from the moon and rejoin him. Would he have headed home? Would he have waited? How long would he have waited?