Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 361735 times)

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5280 on: January 31, 2016, 11:18:19 pm »
Thanks chaps. It seems tvcatchup is now toview and I can't find a direct sender, though both options mentioned do have a WiFi sender that I'll try when I'm home tomorrow. Fingers crossed thanks.

EDIT Sorry Jason, just reread and you said tvcatchup wasn't an app. Went to it via the web and it looks like I need to try the same way as the app. Couldn't see a direct link, though maybe as its as I'm not at home and so its not reading the Chromecast? Thick as when it comes to tech.

When I choose a channel on tvcatchup.com there is a 'Chromecast Cast' button that appears at the bottom of the picture between the volume and full screen buttons - just press the Chromecast button and it should start working - hope it works for you mate .

(I prefer to use a lot of websites with shortcuts to them on the Tablet's homescreen/desktop screen - instead of having lots of apps running in the background and wanting to seemingly update every other day).

Videostream is a worthwhile app having for Chromecast - free and easy to use for both pc and tablet - very simple to play videos etc on it from the pc to the Chromecast (or use the tablet as a remote control), has a nice interface and can choose different quality setting depending on your home's internet speed / quality too.

VS Launcher also puts an icon for VideoStream in your Chrome taskbar that'll directly start Videostream too :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5281 on: February 3, 2016, 06:34:12 pm »
Anyone got experience of using a Surface Pro to completely replace a desktop? CPU on my desktop died yesterday and tempted to not repair and just buy a Surface Pro 4 (would be the i5 8GB RAM 256GB version) as I have just recently bought a NAS so don't need massive amounts of storage and not a big gamer.  It's right at top of budget range though so don't want to spend all that money if it isn't quite going to be adequate performance wise (would happily take a slight hit in return for the convenience of having a tablet instead of full size tower).

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #5282 on: February 3, 2016, 07:14:00 pm »
When I choose a channel on tvcatchup.com there is a 'Chromecast Cast' button that appears at the bottom of the picture between the volume and full screen buttons - just press the Chromecast button and it should start working - hope it works for you mate .

(I prefer to use a lot of websites with shortcuts to them on the Tablet's homescreen/desktop screen - instead of having lots of apps running in the background and wanting to seemingly update every other day).

Videostream is a worthwhile app having for Chromecast - free and easy to use for both pc and tablet - very simple to play videos etc on it from the pc to the Chromecast (or use the tablet as a remote control), has a nice interface and can choose different quality setting depending on your home's internet speed / quality too.

VS Launcher also puts an icon for VideoStream in your Chrome taskbar that'll directly start Videostream too :)

Dunno whats going at my end but I have no Chromecast button, nor a volume control..bah. Thanks anyway.

I'll have a look at the other things too at some point thanks kid.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5283 on: February 3, 2016, 07:20:13 pm »
Thanks chaps. It seems tvcatchup is now toview and I can't find a direct sender, though both options mentioned do have a WiFi sender that I'll try when I'm home tomorrow. Fingers crossed thanks.

EDIT Sorry Jason, just reread and you said tvcatchup wasn't an app. Went to it via the web and it looks like I need to try the same way as the app. Couldn't see a direct link, though maybe as its as I'm not at home and so its not reading the Chromecast? Thick as when it comes to tech.

Yeah you need to be connected to the same wifi network as the Chromecast to pick it up.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #5284 on: February 3, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »
iPad Air 3 being showcased by Apple on 14th March.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #5285 on: February 4, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »
Dunno whats going at my end but I have no Chromecast button, nor a volume control..bah. Thanks anyway.

I'll have a look at the other things too at some point thanks kid.

You need to insert the big flat end of the Chromecast chord in the TV.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5286 on: February 4, 2016, 04:24:12 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a tablet (first one!)

Would purely be for social stuff, playing poker, sky go, surfing. Massive memory not a key factor but would like a good speed and decent size screen.

I've bought Apple mainly in the past so am drawn to the Air, but any recommendations appreciated!

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #5287 on: February 4, 2016, 04:53:50 pm »

Would purely be for social stuff, playing poker, sky go, surfing. Massive memory not a key factor but would like a good speed and decent size screen.

I've bought Apple mainly in the past so am drawn to the Air, but any recommendations appreciated!

I got the Nvidia Shield K1. Powerful machine and very affordable.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #5288 on: February 4, 2016, 06:21:12 pm »

Absolutely love my Air 2 and because I have an iPhone already it's easy to transfer files from one to another, plus iTunes etc.

I use mine for work, browsing and the odd game. Paid £315 last year but it's been worth every penny. I'd recommend buying a fairly newish tablet as the older ones (pre dating 2013) are less likely to ge included in operating system updates etc.

Depends on your budget but if your a big apple fan then I'd recommend this!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5289 on: February 5, 2016, 02:59:18 am »

If you are big into streaming stuff and apps like Mobdro and Tvmc, you are much better buying a non apple device. No miracast support and standard hdmi out as well.

Id go with Willie's sufgestion and get the Shield K1. Fantastic value for money. Can game, stream, download torrents, watch tv and anything else you can think of.

Phuk yoo

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5290 on: February 5, 2016, 10:32:32 am »

iPad Air 3 being showcased by Apple on 14th March.

Gonna be very disappointed if it's not a 4K display.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #5291 on: February 7, 2016, 12:55:32 am »
Yeah you need to be connected to the same wifi network as the Chromecast to pick it up.

Cheers kidda. Starting to get into the swing of it now. Just gutted I cant have both the tv one and the audio one going at the same time without, seemingly, a lot of faff. Not the same time as in running at the same time, but as in 1 on stand by, as such, while the other is playing. I seem to have to do the reset on them and do all the setting it up each time i want to use the other one :(
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #5292 on: February 7, 2016, 09:31:07 am »
Am I playing Russian Roulette if I buy a second hand tablet off eBay?

I've got a 150 hour online study programme to do in 6 months so want a tablet to watch video on, take part in word processing and stuff. I'm thinking second hand iPad/Surface pro or first hand Nvida shield. Ideas??
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5293 on: February 7, 2016, 09:19:19 pm »
Gonna be very disappointed if it's not a 4K display.

Would be great for photos if it was. Other than that, I don't see a big reason to go 4K.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5294 on: February 7, 2016, 09:22:01 pm »

Would be great for photos if it was. Other than that, I don't see a big reason to go 4K.

Movies in my opinion. The iPad screen is quite close to your face when you hold it. The increase to 4K would be noticeable IMO. Streaming Netflix and Amazon prime in 4K.

Apart from that I would agree with you though lol

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5295 on: February 7, 2016, 09:30:52 pm »
Movies in my opinion. The iPad screen is quite close to your face when you hold it. The increase to 4K would be noticeable IMO. Streaming Netflix and Amazon prime in 4K.

Apart from that I would agree with you though lol

Don't have Netflix. How many 4K movies are available?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5296 on: February 8, 2016, 12:00:44 pm »
I'd be extremely surprised if this next update has a 4K (or Apples version of that which I think is closer to 5k) screen. From what I have seen rumour wise there would be an issue finding a supplier able to provide the numbers required in the time frame required (even split across multiple suppliers as Apple tend to do).

I believe they thought they'd have that issue with the larger Pro and that obviously sells in smaller numbers than the new Air will.

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5297 on: February 8, 2016, 01:11:19 pm »
Don't have Netflix. How many 4K movies are available?

Not many to be fair :D

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5298 on: February 8, 2016, 01:14:24 pm »
I'd be extremely surprised if this next update has a 4K (or Apples version of that which I think is closer to 5k) screen. From what I have seen rumour wise there would be an issue finding a supplier able to provide the numbers required in the time frame required (even split across multiple suppliers as Apple tend to do).

I believe they thought they'd have that issue with the larger Pro and that obviously sells in smaller numbers than the new Air will.

Probably spot on there. So what do you think is likely then?

-New design?
-More speakers?
-More ram?
-Up to 256GB capacity?

Offline jo07

• Shit scared of a tin of beans.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #5299 on: February 13, 2016, 07:27:34 pm »
So I have started a college course and need to use word/PowerPoint and need all the little bits that come with it - bullet pointing, headers and footers, attaching images, all that jazz.

Is it worth me getting a years subscription of office? I have the free versions but they don't seem to offer everything I need... (I don't think?).

Any help appreciated.. I am trying not to put myself out of pocket by buying a whole brand new sparkley laptop!

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5300 on: February 13, 2016, 07:33:29 pm »
So I have started a college course and need to use word/PowerPoint and need all the little bits that come with it - bullet pointing, headers and footers, attaching images, all that jazz.

Is it worth me getting a years subscription of office? I have the free versions but they don't seem to offer everything I need... (I don't think?).

Any help appreciated.. I am trying not to put myself out of pocket by buying a whole brand new sparkley laptop!

If you have a valid academic email address, you can get Office in Eduction for free.
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline jo07

• Main Stander
« Reply #5301 on: February 13, 2016, 07:37:15 pm »
If you have a valid academic email address, you can get Office in Eduction for free.

Unfortunately I don't. I am doing a government funded college course/apprenticeship through learn direct.

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5302 on: February 13, 2016, 07:47:14 pm »
Unfortunately I don't. I am doing a government funded college course/apprenticeship through learn direct.

OK. 

This is an extract of a post I made in another thread:

Options:
1. Purchase it outright. 
2. Purchase a monthly or annual subscription.  Cheaper on Amazon and comes with 1TB of cloud storage.
3. Does your Employer take part in the Home Use Program, which means you can get office for £9.95.

Hope that helps.
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline jo07

• Main Stander
« Reply #5303 on: February 13, 2016, 08:19:35 pm »
OK. 

This is an extract of a post I made in another thread:

Options:
1. Purchase it outright. 
2. Purchase a monthly or annual subscription.  Cheaper on Amazon and comes with 1TB of cloud storage.
3. Does your Employer take part in the Home Use Program, which means you can get office for £9.95.

Hope that helps.

This is perfect. Thank you so much for your help!!

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #5304 on: February 28, 2016, 08:21:55 pm »
So I've got this really cheap Android tablet it's a XentaTAB10-201 with android 4.1.1,

now I need to upgrade it to at least android 5 but there is no update option.

Can anyone either give me some tips or know of a site that will help...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5305 on: February 29, 2016, 09:37:08 am »
So I've got this really cheap Android tablet it's a XentaTAB10-201 with android 4.1.1,

now I need to upgrade it to at least android 5 but there is no update option.

Can anyone either give me some tips or know of a site that will help...

Unfortunately you cannot updgrade your OS version unless an official update is available OR you know how to root your device and install a custom ROM (not advised)
Phuk yoo

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #5306 on: February 29, 2016, 12:51:34 pm »
I've no problem with "rooting" the deceive as all I'll be using it for is when I'm connected to "Zwift" (indoor cycling program)

edit - oh yea and it's only a cheap one so if it goes tits up then no worries!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5307 on: February 29, 2016, 09:30:38 pm »
Looking to buy an iPad Air for my wife.

Happy with the 1st ones rather than the 2 but appears to be countless model numbers, etc and some places a lot cheaper than Apple.

Any tips appreciated?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5308 on: February 29, 2016, 09:38:45 pm »
Ignore model numbers.

First of all decide if you need just WIFI or if you want 3G connectivity too.

Secondly, once you've decided that, think how much memory you need. I'm fairly sure it comes in 16GB and 32GB. Now unless you're going to load it up with pics, vids or music then personally I find you can get away with 16GB, if the extra money for the large size isn't an issue then go with that.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5309 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:30 pm »
Ignore model numbers.

First of all decide if you need just WIFI or if you want 3G connectivity too.

Secondly, once you've decided that, think how much memory you need. I'm fairly sure it comes in 16GB and 32GB. Now unless you're going to load it up with pics, vids or music then personally I find you can get away with 16GB, if the extra money for the large size isn't an issue then go with that.

Bear in mind that the OS takes up a lot of that 16GB so you don't get all that space.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5310 on: February 29, 2016, 09:58:12 pm »
Bear in mind that the OS takes up a lot of that 16GB so you don't get all that space.

iOS 9 is about 3GB when installed, which still leaves loads of room.

I'm still using a 16GB iPad 2, and even with loads of apps installed on it, a shit load of pics (more than I need if I'm honest and could save a few GB backing these up and removing) I've still got loads of room left over to add a few movies if I'm travelling anywhere.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5311 on: February 29, 2016, 10:14:37 pm »
Looking to buy an iPad Air for my wife.

Happy with the 1st ones rather than the 2 but appears to be countless model numbers, etc and some places a lot cheaper than Apple.

Any tips appreciated?

If you're like me and mainly use it at home, go for the larger screen and whatever you do - forget the 3G options. I have it, but I use it about once/year. It's a waste. In particular when you can easily use your phone as a hotspot if needed.

Should you still decide to go 3G don't sign up for one of those monthly deals. Wait and see how you use your device. You should be able to get a sim card and go with a pre paid (top up?) option.

I'd avoid the 16GB one. I have a 32 Gb, but next time, I'll go 64 GB. Why? Because I like to be able to put photos on it and when I travel, I want to be able to have 3-4 films on it. I'm sure you can find ways to work around it, but that's how I see it. When I've taken photos, I want to see them on my Ipad, because it's the best screen I have.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5312 on: March 1, 2016, 08:31:49 am »
iOS 9 is about 3GB when installed, which still leaves loads of room.

I'm still using a 16GB iPad 2, and even with loads of apps installed on it, a shit load of pics (more than I need if I'm honest and could save a few GB backing these up and removing) I've still got loads of room left over to add a few movies if I'm travelling anywhere.

Fair enough it's plenty for you but for someone who doesn't realise and is trying to calculate how much space they need, that's almost 20% of the advertised space gone.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5313 on: March 1, 2016, 08:40:20 am »
Fair enough it's plenty for you but for someone who doesn't realise and is trying to calculate how much space they need, that's almost 20% of the advertised space gone.

Which is why I only ever gave my opinion based on my experience.

As I said, go with the larger if the money isn't an issue, however 16GB is workable unless you intend to really load it up with pics, vids and music.

Just checked mine and even with about 4GB of pics and vids, and 2GB of emails (I use it for 6 work accounts), I have loads of rooms for other stuff.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5314 on: March 1, 2016, 09:46:22 am »
I've no problem with "rooting" the deceive as all I'll be using it for is when I'm connected to "Zwift" (indoor cycling program)

edit - oh yea and it's only a cheap one so if it goes tits up then no worries!

In that case, you can start by going through this link.

You can end up bricking your device though so better take a full backup before attempting anything.

Phuk yoo

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5315 on: March 1, 2016, 11:17:30 am »
If you are using the many free cloud based storage systems available would it really matter that much between 16/32/64 GB iPads ?
I am looking to get one for my daughter and am thinking exactly this, weird thing is one of my other daughters is doing A level ICT yet still copies stuff from device to device which was the only option when I started in IT but seems stupid thing to do now. Mind you the A level looks a piece of piss, don't even do coding etc. seems a very "easy" A level to me.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5316 on: March 1, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good tablet just for watching footy streams on? Want a tablet I can install kodi & acestream on so was going to get a surface but if something else can do it...

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 1, 2016, 01:00:31 pm by owens_2k »

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5317 on: March 1, 2016, 01:16:02 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good tablet just for watching footy streams on? Want a tablet I can install kodi & acestream on so was going to get a surface but if something else can do it...

Thanks

A Surface is a bit overkill to just watch football streams on, any old tablet will do that I think.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5318 on: March 1, 2016, 01:37:57 pm »

A Surface is a bit overkill to just watch football streams on, any old tablet will do that I think.
Not if you want to use Kodi/Acestream. Flash streams are shite!

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5319 on: March 1, 2016, 01:38:58 pm »
Not if you want to use Kodi/Acestream. Flash streams are shite!

You can install Kodi and Acestream on Android.