Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 362166 times)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5240 on: December 11, 2015, 09:34:26 pm »
My parents aged 66/67 have just bought an ipad. My dad has a slight idea about computers having used one in work and has a pc at home but other than using email once a week hes not really into and my mum think she can break the pc by moving the mouse. Inevitably because 20 years ago I worked in IT support job its fallen to me to teach them

I've set up itunes, apple accounts, email and set up wifi and linked the ipad to it but they've asked for more tips. I think they are under the impression there is just stuff to do but i've said you need an interest in something so get you started. I've tried iMessaging them a few photos of our baby and stuff to get them used to it and I'll download a few apps so they can get used to that side of things rather than using Safari all the time but any recommendations?

Thought of bbc sport and football related stuff for my dad, my mum i dont know shopping stuff maybe - any apps out there for beginners?

Anyone recommend a book - saw Ipad Seniors for Dummies but and Senior Ipad books but not sure how they will take that!

Wouldnt mind but they went out and bought a mini one on my sisters advice which isnt going to be great with their eyesight compared to standard or even pro version and it will never leave the house so its not for portability reason.

Cheers

Check out FilmOn Television. Multiple tv channels available. I think that's better than picking just BBC. Also, photos can be a good place to start. Things like editing pictures with PS Express, or using Over. Wordfeud can be another good beginning. An app that used to be a favorite of mine is City Quiz. Unfortunately, they never add any more cities. I know Angry Birds can get people of all ages hooked.

For books, there are multiple free ones. I think it's called the Gutenberg project and lots of classics are available for free.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5241 on: December 11, 2015, 09:54:38 pm »
Teach them how to use the app store, warn them about what you have to pay for and what is free, then set them free to mess about and find what they want.

Probably the easiest way to do it.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #5242 on: December 25, 2015, 12:16:44 pm »
Wife bought me an Ipad Air for xmas,
One problem i cant seem to work out/understand.. i connect to my email account no problems and it shows me any NEW emails, but none of the existing ones. it shows all the folders in my outlook account, but no messages .. any ideas as to why?

Other question i have is, i got this mainly for reading plans on site rather than printing pages, i normally use Adobe reader on my PC, but whats the go to program on Ipad for pdf files?
JFT 96

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5243 on: December 25, 2015, 02:35:33 pm »
Not sure about the email issue.

PDFs can be read through iBooks though.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5244 on: December 25, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »
Wife bought me an Ipad Air for xmas,
One problem i cant seem to work out/understand.. i connect to my email account no problems and it shows me any NEW emails, but none of the existing ones. it shows all the folders in my outlook account, but no messages .. any ideas as to why?

Other question i have is, i got this mainly for reading plans on site rather than printing pages, i normally use Adobe reader on my PC, but whats the go to program on Ipad for pdf files?

It could just be taking some time to upload them...

However, try:  settings.. Mail, contacts, calendars...

Down near the bottom, it says 'sync'...

Try setting that to a different date....

It will get there soon hopefully!

PDFs can be read in loads of apps.  But iBooks stores them quite nicely on a bookshelf.  It's the only thing I use iBooks for..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5245 on: December 25, 2015, 08:29:48 pm »
I'm going to start saving for iPad Pro and the pencil.
That thing looks nifty.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #5246 on: December 25, 2015, 08:47:27 pm »
It could just be taking some time to upload them...

However, try:  settings.. Mail, contacts, calendars...

Down near the bottom, it says 'sync'...

Try setting that to a different date....

It will get there soon hopefully!

PDFs can be read in loads of apps.  But iBooks stores them quite nicely on a bookshelf.  It's the only thing I use iBooks for..
Cheers tepid, both suggestions solved my problems  :wave
JFT 96

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5247 on: December 28, 2015, 09:06:54 am »
I'm going to start saving for iPad Pro and the pencil.
That thing looks nifty.

As opposed to a full blown Surface pro 3, with an i7 processor and wacom digitizer?

One is a full blown PC in a tablet form while the other runs a glorified mobile OS with limited functionality.  If i had around 1K spare cash lying around, I would immediately go for an SP3.

Phuk yoo

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5248 on: December 28, 2015, 09:24:47 am »
I have a desktop machine and a Wacom tablet for serious work. I dont need or want a PC in a tablet form, nor do I really want a full Windows OS on a tablet. Apple's machine looks like a good sketchbook solution, able to do a lot without pretending to be able to do everything.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #5249 on: December 29, 2015, 04:06:41 pm »
It does support full he, but she's streaming sports (from mobdro). I did say if she manages to find hd streams then it should project them ok.

how does she rate mobdro in terms of what games are available and the quality ?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5250 on: December 30, 2015, 09:15:15 am »
how does she rate mobdro in terms of what games are available and the quality ?

You get all the usual channels like Sky 1 to 5, BT sport 1 and 2, Setanta, Star, Sportsworld and countless others.   You can pretty much watch anything you want.

Quality varies depending on the stream.  But its definitely watchable on my 42 inch television. You do get a few HD streams as well.

All in all a great app for football fans. Lots of non football channels available too.
Phuk yoo

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #5251 on: December 30, 2015, 09:23:02 am »
You get all the usual channels like Sky 1 to 5, BT sport 1 and 2, Setanta, Star, Sportsworld and countless others.   You can pretty much watch anything you want.

Quality varies depending on the stream.  But its definitely watchable on my 42 inch television. You do get a few HD streams as well.

All in all a great app for football fans. Lots of non football channels available too.
So for watching on a tablet say its the way to go ?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5252 on: December 30, 2015, 09:40:46 am »
So for watching on a tablet say its the way to go ?

Without a doubt.  Use it over wifi or LTE and you wont face any buffering/stuttering.  You will have access to almost all the major European leagues as well which is brilliant if you are a connoisseur of continental football.

Go for it.  You'll need to download the the APK file directly though, as its not available on the google play store (for obvious reasons),
Phuk yoo

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #5253 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:41 am »
Without a doubt.  Use it over wifi or LTE and you wont face any buffering/stuttering.  You will have access to almost all the major European leagues as well which is brilliant if you are a connoisseur of continental football.

Go for it.  You'll need to download the the APK file directly though, as its not available on the google play store (for obvious reasons),
Yeah i knew it wasnt on play.
 Gonna chuck it on the tablet then ive decided.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #5254 on: January 19, 2016, 10:50:01 am »
Any recommendations for 10 inch screens? I've got a nexus 7 at the moment and know i'm thinking could do with a bigger screen.

I like the look of Sony's Z4 but appears to be rather pricey.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5255 on: January 19, 2016, 11:00:39 am »
Any recommendations for 10 inch screens? I've got a nexus 7 at the moment and know i'm thinking could do with a bigger screen.

I like the look of Sony's Z4 but appears to be rather pricey.

Nexus 9 is available for cheap these days.  Slightly smaller at 9 inches though....

Phuk yoo

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #5256 on: January 19, 2016, 01:12:54 pm »
Nexus 9 is available for cheap these days.  Slightly smaller at 9 inches though....

Yeah I saw that in John Lewis yesterday and was quite impressed with it. I had written it off because of the 4:3 Screen but its not too bad.

Wondering if there will be a Nexus 10 this year.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #5257 on: January 19, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »
Yeah I saw that in John Lewis yesterday and was quite impressed with it. I had written it off because of the 4:3 Screen but its not too bad.

Wondering if there will be a Nexus 10 this year.
No, I think they are releasing the Nexus 8, so it's smaller again http://www.ibtimes.com/google-nexus-8-2015-tablet-visits-geekbench-ahead-nexus-5-2015-release-2066920.
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #5258 on: January 19, 2016, 08:07:52 pm »

Is the free version enough or do you have to go full version?

Is there a good tablet out there in the Ł200 range? Going to use it for surfing and streaming sports (Kodi).

edit: Just seen this Nvidia Shield K1 thing. Available for under Ł200. Could that be something for me?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:44:47 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5259 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:45 am »
Is the free version enough or do you have to go full version?

Is there a good tablet out there in the Ł200 range? Going to use it for surfing and streaming sports (Kodi).

edit: Just seen this Nvidia Shield K1 thing. Available for under Ł200. Could that be something for me?

The paid version just removes the ads/banners, that is all. Content is pretty much the same as far as I know.

The Shield k1 is a great gaming and media consumption tablet.  It is well capable of meeting your streaming/kodi needs.

Also check out the Nexus 9...
Phuk yoo

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5260 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:54 am »
The paid version just removes the ads/banners, that is all. Content is pretty much the same as far as I know.

The Shield k1 is a great gaming and media consumption tablet.  It is well capable of meeting your streaming/kodi needs.

Also check out the Nexus 9...

Cheers mate, appreciate the response.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5261 on: January 20, 2016, 12:37:24 pm »
Cheers mate, appreciate the response.

If you are planning to hook up your tab to your  tv through an hdmi adapter,  do not consider the nexus 9. It doesnt have a mini hdmi port. The shield has it.
Phuk yoo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5262 on: January 20, 2016, 03:28:45 pm »
If you are planning to hook up your tab to your  tv through an hdmi adapter,  do not consider the nexus 9. It doesnt have a mini hdmi port. The shield has it.

I think that might be a dealbreaker. I have a Slimport that I use with my phone, so it would be good to have that option aswell as Chromecast.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5263 on: January 20, 2016, 05:34:32 pm »

Would you advice me to get a Shield or one of these? http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eeebook-x205ta with Windows 10 OS.

The review says it's pretty decent and I can get one for around 200 quid.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5264 on: January 21, 2016, 04:24:25 am »
Would you advice me to get a Shield or one of these? http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eeebook-x205ta with Windows 10 OS.

The review says it's pretty decent and I can get one for around 200 quid.

The Asus eeebook is a great deal for that price. But there are a couple of things to consider..  Firstly, WIndows 10 does not have a native app for Mobdro, so you will have to use their web based interface to watch stuff. Havent used the web version so I cannot tell you how good or bad it is. Its full windows so you have other advantages like access to thousands of legacy win 32 software.

Apart from that, you will do well with any of the two. My personal recommendation would still be the shield, considering the fact that it is pretty much designed to stream media and play games.  But the Asus is also a good choice and offers value for money.

Phuk yoo

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #5265 on: January 25, 2016, 09:46:11 am »
Anyone know how to transfer photos from my PC{Win 7} to my ipad?
i can transfer FROM the ipad, no problems, but when i try n cut n paste to the Ipad, theres no "paste" option, tried installing Itunes,. but cant make head nor hair of it,.

Got to see a prospective employer on Friday and would like to transfer the photos of work i have done to  to the Ipad so i can show him
JFT 96

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5266 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:43 am »
Could you not store them on say Dropbox (or any cloud based free offering) and access from both devices ?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5267 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:27 am »
Could you not store them on say Dropbox (or any cloud based free offering) and access from both devices ?

Yep that's a fairly easy way. Are ways of doing it via iCloud too.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #5268 on: January 25, 2016, 11:34:24 am »
I have Photobucket, i suppose i could do it via that, but it seems like an extremely long winded way of transferring file,s is there no other way?
JFT 96

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5269 on: January 25, 2016, 11:36:00 am »
I have Photobucket, i suppose i could do it via that, but it seems like an extremely long winded way of transferring file,s is there no other way?

Drop box isn't.

Simply move them to the dropbox folder on your PC, download the dropbox app for your iPad, then import them from there to your Photos on your iPad.

Other than using iTunes or iCloud that's probably the quickest way.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #5270 on: January 26, 2016, 02:20:29 am »
Drop box isn't.

Simply move them to the dropbox folder on your PC, download the dropbox app for your iPad, then import them from there to your Photos on your iPad.

Other than using iTunes or iCloud that's probably the quickest way.
Cheers Craig, ive uploaded them all to DB, instaled the app on the Ipad, but i cant for the life of me see how i "import them to photos, i can move them around dropbox,  but cant see a way to add them to the "photos" folder on the ipad.. any help would be appreciated as per
JFT 96

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5271 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:09 am »
Cheers Craig, ive uploaded them all to DB, instaled the app on the Ipad, but i cant for the life of me see how i "import them to photos, i can move them around dropbox,  but cant see a way to add them to the "photos" folder on the ipad.. any help would be appreciated as per

I don't have Dropbox on my iPad but do on my iPhone, so hopefully it's fairly similar.

On there you can turn something on called Camera Upload, and that will automatically save the pics to Photos. Alternatively open the image, click the icon which looks like a box with an upwards pointing arrow and then click save image. You'll have to do that for each image but you can just swipe through them so not too bad.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5272 on: January 26, 2016, 11:34:07 am »
The complexities of file management on IOS .  Copy and paste is not how apple wants you to do it.  Its not safe you see. 

On a serious note, isnt there an app that sort of allows you to copy files directly to a an ipad or iphone?
Phuk yoo

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5273 on: January 26, 2016, 04:59:02 pm »
Depemding on size and number of pictures, you can always just email them to yourself and save the images from the email.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5274 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »

Select a photo, hit the share icon and then save. The photo will be added to photos.
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #5275 on: January 27, 2016, 03:48:49 pm »
I have a tablet and got a Chromcast for Christmas. I havnt an ariel in my bedroom so wondered of there was an App for freeview tele I can use via the Chromecast?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5276 on: January 28, 2016, 11:59:11 am »
I have a tablet and got a Chromcast for Christmas. I havnt an ariel in my bedroom so wondered of there was an App for freeview tele I can use via the Chromecast?
I have a TV guide app on my iPad that lists the schedules but also allows you to actually watch a selection of channels, works fine. Think it's simply called TV Guide might be a version for your tablet. Also Filmon app works exactly same way and both have (not all) freeview channels.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5277 on: January 28, 2016, 07:07:41 pm »
^^ tvcatchup.com is decent too - it has an-inbuilt 'Cast' option in it's window taskbar - no app required (though there is one for it for android and ios)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #5278 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:36 pm »
I have a TV guide app on my iPad that lists the schedules but also allows you to actually watch a selection of channels, works fine. Think it's simply called TV Guide might be a version for your tablet. Also Filmon app works exactly same way and both have (not all) freeview channels.
^^ tvcatchup.com is decent too - it has an-inbuilt 'Cast' option in it's window taskbar - no app required (though there is one for it for android and ios)

Thanks chaps. It seems tvcatchup is now toview and I can't find a direct sender, though both options mentioned do have a WiFi sender that I'll try when I'm home tomorrow. Fingers crossed thanks.

EDIT Sorry Jason, just reread and you said tvcatchup wasn't an app. Went to it via the web and it looks like I need to try the same way as the app. Couldn't see a direct link, though maybe as its as I'm not at home and so its not reading the Chromecast? Thick as when it comes to tech.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:32:02 pm by oddball »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #5279 on: January 29, 2016, 10:37:25 am »
Select a photo, hit the share icon and then save. The photo will be added to photos.
Cheers for the help, i havent yet done that, but  what i have done so far is via DB, "make available offline".
that almost fills the void, when i get a chance ill try your tip,but in the mean time , what i have done is a workaround
JFT 96