Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 361764 times)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5160 on: January 12, 2015, 12:31:24 pm »
I was looking to get Debs a new laptop for her new job as she is going to be doing her Masters but as that has been put back for a good while, we decided we would get her a tablet that she could use for web browsing and social media etc. We have a Nexus 7 but the screen is too small so we decided on a 10 inch tablet. Given the limited requirements we didn't want to spend too much money so I scoured Amazon and found what looked like a decent choice - Dragon Touch - for £79 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LM5WU96?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02. The only negative reviews were for bad sound so we went for it. It came on Friday and looked pretty good. However woke up yesterday to see that the screen is peeling away from the tablet so I have just had a refund from Amazon.
SO - can anyone recommend a 10 inch Tablet for around the £100 mark that will stand up to daily use and has decent build quality and performance to last a few years? It has to be 10 inch or as near as damn it.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #5161 on: January 12, 2015, 05:33:17 pm »
I was looking to get Debs a new laptop for her new job as she is going to be doing her Masters but as that has been put back for a good while, we decided we would get her a tablet that she could use for web browsing and social media etc. We have a Nexus 7 but the screen is too small so we decided on a 10 inch tablet. Given the limited requirements we didn't want to spend too much money so I scoured Amazon and found what looked like a decent choice - Dragon Touch - for £79 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LM5WU96?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02. The only negative reviews were for bad sound so we went for it. It came on Friday and looked pretty good. However woke up yesterday to see that the screen is peeling away from the tablet so I have just had a refund from Amazon.
SO - can anyone recommend a 10 inch Tablet for around the £100 mark that will stand up to daily use and has decent build quality and performance to last a few years? It has to be 10 inch or as near as damn it.

We got this for my father in law for Xmas (was £100 then and could be that still elsewhere)

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/asus-transformer-pad-tf103cx-tablet-intel-atom-android-8gb-wi-fi-10-1-/p1774384?colour=Black&un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_2#page_loaded

Seemed decent for the money when I was setting it up.
Did remind me how much I hate android though

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5162 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:37 pm »
Anyone know if I can use a Three sim card in an Ipad Mini 2 and use it on their free roaming abroad service? Had a look but couldn't find anything! cheers.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #5163 on: January 13, 2015, 01:28:56 am »
We got this for my father in law for Xmas (was £100 then and could be that still elsewhere)

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/asus-transformer-pad-tf103cx-tablet-intel-atom-android-8gb-wi-fi-10-1-/p1774384?colour=Black&un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_2#page_loaded

Seemed decent for the money when I was setting it up.
Did remind me how much I hate android though

Thanks for that mate. I have had a good look at them but to get the proper keyboard would push the price way up. I have started looking at the Chromebooks now and I think I am plumping for this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K7YAT1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #5164 on: January 13, 2015, 10:44:45 pm »
Anyone got experience of wake up on LAN via their chrome book?
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5165 on: January 14, 2015, 12:55:08 am »
I got a steelseries stratus XL controller for my iPad air 2 for Christmas and it is great, GTA San Andreas works like a dream and Real Racing 3 is great too. It works on iPhone 5 and above and on iPad mini, Air and 4th gen ipads running ios7 and above, connects with Bluetooth and works with hundreds of games. It is similar to an Xbox pad in shape and size but with joystick layout like PS controllers. It's not cheap at £60 but it turns your iPad into a mini console, deffo worth a look.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5166 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:35 pm »
New update for the Hudl 2 rolling out now just downloading it, I hope it fixes the strange charging problem.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5167 on: January 19, 2015, 07:49:17 pm »
New update for the Hudl 2 rolling out now just downloading it, I hope it fixes the strange charging problem.

Ah, so it wasn't just me suffering from that. Where can I get it?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5168 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »
Ah, so it wasn't just me suffering from that. Where can I get it?
Settings>Update, I would presume, stopped using after hols. What were the strange charging issues? Glorified mobile so was not expecting much anyway.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5169 on: January 19, 2015, 07:55:55 pm »
Settings>Update, I would presume, stopped using after hols. What were the strange charging issues? Glorified mobile so was not expecting much anyway.

If the battery runs down a bit (below 50 percent seems to be when the problem starts for me), it won't charge unless you restart the device with the charger plugged in. I also get problems with the clock sometimes, where the time will randomly be two hours and 17 minutes (or whatever) behind what the actual time is. Again, solved by restarting the device with the charger plugged in. It's quite annoying, but it's a dirt cheap tablet so...

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5170 on: January 19, 2015, 10:02:36 pm »
I seem to use my Hudl 2 only to play 8 Pool, it's pretty addictive.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5171 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:09 pm »
If the battery runs down a bit (below 50 percent seems to be when the problem starts for me), it won't charge unless you restart the device with the charger plugged in. I also get problems with the clock sometimes, where the time will randomly be two hours and 17 minutes (or whatever) behind what the actual time is. Again, solved by restarting the device with the charger plugged in. It's quite annoying, but it's a dirt cheap tablet so...

I have updated it doesn't look any different but it seems to be charging ok now from 30%.

I will have to dig the usb cable out to see if that works better now.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:11:48 pm by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5172 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:57 pm »
I seem to use my Hudl 2 only to play 8 Pool, it's pretty addictive.

Now I will have to download it now to give it a go.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5173 on: January 20, 2015, 12:17:41 pm »
Loving my new nexus 9 so far apart from the build quality which is terrible by htc standards.

It is fast by any standard and games look awesome. I can also attach a full sized keyboard using the micro usb-otg port and do my reports, which means less use for my Vaio.

Happy with it so far!

Phuk yoo

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5174 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:08 pm »
So the flash memory of my Nexus 7 (2013) had a wee bit of a catastrophic failure last week (my fault, admittedly). I'm looking at the Nvidia Shield tablet as replacement. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Plan B is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, but I dislike Touchwiz. Gorgeous screen, though...

Plan C is another Nexus 7, but i'd like a slightly bigger screen.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:28:16 am by JongWK »
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #5175 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:09 pm »
I switched from a Nexus 7 (2012) to a Shield a few months back, once the Shield had the Lollipop upgrade. Been very pleased with it. I mostly use it for video watching, reading and comics. The front-facing speakers really make such a difference, especially compared with the N7 and the horrible rear speaker that was muffled when you held the tablet.

It feels a tiny bit thicker than the N7, especially with the case/cover. The build quality is solid though. No complaints there. Being able to add an SD card is a boon too as is having stock Android. Not tried any of the gaming capabilities yet, but the game that comes with it (Trine 2) looks lovely.

I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5176 on: January 30, 2015, 06:30:03 am »
I switched from a Nexus 7 (2012) to a Shield a few months back, once the Shield had the Lollipop upgrade. Been very pleased with it. I mostly use it for video watching, reading and comics. The front-facing speakers really make such a difference, especially compared with the N7 and the horrible rear speaker that was muffled when you held the tablet.

It feels a tiny bit thicker than the N7, especially with the case/cover. The build quality is solid though. No complaints there. Being able to add an SD card is a boon too as is having stock Android. Not tried any of the gaming capabilities yet, but the game that comes with it (Trine 2) looks lovely.

I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.

Do you know if the glass screen has any kind of fortification? (Gorilla Glass, etc) I've been looking but couldn't find anything...
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #5177 on: January 30, 2015, 07:53:17 am »
Do you know if the glass screen has any kind of fortification? (Gorilla Glass, etc) I've been looking but couldn't find anything...

I don't think it does. I got the smart cover to go with it and haven't really worried about scratches or cracks.

The cover is very nice indeed, both as a screen cover and a stand. Works well.

The only irritating thing are the buttons which hardly stick out at all, so you sometimes have to feel along the edge. Thankfully, you don't have to use the buttons much as opening the cover wakes the tablet.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5178 on: February 6, 2015, 12:37:37 pm »
Not sure if this is the correct place but I just purchased a surface pro 3. not had it long but pretty happy with it so far as you'd expect.

i have a number of ipads and an imac (which i hate) but needed an actual computer.

looking forward to seeing what this can do.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #5179 on: March 4, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »
Is the Hudl 2 the best budget tablet about - my laptop is on the blink, it's a few years old so looking at replacing it soon but would like to get a tablet in the meantime.

Something with a decent sized screen with good quality resolution, can be used with a wireless keyboard for general web browsing, bit of gaming and maybe
streaming netflix and watching youtube vids, stuff like that.

Any other recommendations in the 50-100 quid kinda category?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5180 on: March 5, 2015, 01:24:28 pm »
This one is worth a look http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190957254949?clk_rvr_id=791049012145&rmvSB=true also have a search on offeroftheday.co.uk as they sometimes have some bargains but the goods ones don't last long.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5181 on: March 6, 2015, 09:47:27 am »
Not sure if this is the correct place but I just purchased a surface pro 3. not had it long but pretty happy with it so far as you'd expect.

i have a number of ipads and an imac (which i hate) but needed an actual computer.

looking forward to seeing what this can do.
Pretty much everything I would have thought.

How much was it?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #5182 on: June 25, 2015, 08:50:20 pm »
I think I'm finally going to invest in an iPad Air 2 shortly. Looking at the 64GB Gold one.

What is the best type of external storage/hard drive for an iPad? Preferably one that works via connection or maybe Bluetooth (If that's possible). I endure a regular bus commute so it would be handy to be able to watch content from an external device, not having to clog up the iPad.

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #5183 on: June 26, 2015, 01:33:04 am »
Need some pointers ..
Wife got my grandson a samsung galaxy Tab3 lite,{as a comming home from hospital present}. only problem is i have no idea how to install games on it for him, was looking at getting a few games, Chess being one, then any other games a 6yr old boy would use.

Any advice would be apppreciated as ive no idea where to start.
JFT 96

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #5184 on: June 26, 2015, 05:55:55 am »
Need some pointers ..
Wife got my grandson a samsung galaxy Tab3 lite,{as a comming home from hospital present}. only problem is i have no idea how to install games on it for him, was looking at getting a few games, Chess being one, then any other games a 6yr old boy would use.

Look in the app store mate, youll find thousands of games.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5185 on: June 27, 2015, 11:00:40 am »
Need some pointers ..

Click on the Google Play icon

once you are in the app, search for Chess and from the list that comes up you can install any game that comes up.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #5186 on: August 15, 2015, 07:51:36 pm »
Loving my Nexus 9 at the moment. Best tablet I have owned.

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5187 on: August 17, 2015, 04:23:53 pm »
I've been meaning to buy a tablet for a while and finally got round to it last week. I will only use it for basic stuff like browsing the net, Facebook and iPlayer, YouTube etc.

Took the plunge with a Hudl2 for just over £60 with clubcard voucher discount applied. Boosted the storage too with a 32gb micro SD card.

For the price, I'm impressed. Suits my needs and does everything I need it to do to a good level of performance. Seems a fairly decent build quality too, maybe apart from the tight power lead which you have to apply a fairly sturdy pull to to get out.

I was previously an Apple fan. However, much prefer the range of apps on the Google Play store and really can't justify the Apple prices when you can get something that can do the same things for a fraction of the price. Granted, Apple products generally do look nicer, but I tend to put a cover on whatever I buy, so the aesthetics don't really matter that much.
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5188 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:04 pm »
daughters nexus 7 (1st version) is not charging at all. Tried 4 differant chargers for at least an hour and nothing

any ideas people?

cheers
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5189 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:43 am »
daughters nexus 7 (1st version) is not charging at all. Tried 4 differant chargers for at least an hour and nothing

any ideas people?

cheers

Not sure if this helps.
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5190 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:49 pm »
Not sure if this helps.

Yep that did the trick!
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5191 on: September 9, 2015, 09:34:24 pm »

i think Steve just did a few rolls
STFU and agree with me.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5192 on: September 9, 2015, 09:37:58 pm »
to be honest, when he said that the device he was on about was an iPhone, as the ipad didn't come out until 2010.

This is for the iPad Pro, which is a near 13" device.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5193 on: September 9, 2015, 09:42:48 pm »
Stylus is crap.. I'd just lose it...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5194 on: September 9, 2015, 09:54:04 pm »
Made me laugh...

"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5195 on: September 9, 2015, 10:04:44 pm »
Stylus is crap.. I'd just lose it...

It depends what you're using your iPad for (they're not needed on a phone). If it's just general web surfing and normal app use then no, they're useless.

If you're doing any sort of more detailed work (written note taking, drawing, etc) then they are soooooo much better than using your finger.

I've been wanting a larger iPad for a while now, sure I've said it on here a few times. I use my current one (iPad 2) a lot for planning and organisation for a few projects I'm working on, as well as jotting down ideas which will often involve a quickly drawn image. I use a cheap stylus for this but can only guess it'll be 1000x better using a specifically designed Apple one.

Will definitely be getting a Pro and stylus.

Offline Swissgaz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5196 on: September 9, 2015, 10:09:13 pm »
Will definitely be getting a Pro and stylus.

Are FSG paying for it?  ;)

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5197 on: September 10, 2015, 12:27:54 am »
The Pencil seems very nice, but the way you charge it is fucking daft.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5198 on: September 10, 2015, 01:41:17 am »
Are FSG paying for it?  ;)

We've calculated it will increase my productivity on fan forums by 17.7%.

However we will be increasing ticket prices by £0.50 each to pay for it.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5199 on: September 10, 2015, 06:50:23 am »
It's more a work device this isn't it?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W