Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 362761 times)

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5120 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:26 pm »
I have the original Hudl and you really don't know the Tesco stuff is there unless you accidentally click on the T on the bottom of the screen. Unless this has changed with the Hudl2 I wouldn't let it put you off.
Nice one. I'm sold. Wanted something relatively cheap to take on holiday, rather than lugging around my laptop, this seems to tick all the boxes.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
« Reply #5121 on: October 24, 2014, 10:40:26 pm »
Nice one. I'm sold. Wanted something relatively cheap to take on holiday, rather than lugging around my laptop, this seems to tick all the boxes.

I got mine for £65 with a Tesco card last year and love it, and the Hudl2 looks even better, slimmer, lighter, bigger screen, would love to upgrade but just can't justify it.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5122 on: October 29, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »
I got mine for £65 with a Tesco card last year and love it, and the Hudl2 looks even better, slimmer, lighter, bigger screen, would love to upgrade but just can't justify it.
Fist impressions, its beautiful to hold, very well made, love the soft plastic cover. Screen seems pretty decent. I purchased it to watch games on stream while on holiday. Had an issue about flash on Android, but the Puffin browser did the trick, so it meets my need. If anyone has clubpoints, its a no-brainer.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5123 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:55 am »
Fist impressions, its beautiful to hold, very well made, love the soft plastic cover. Screen seems pretty decent. I purchased it to watch games on stream while on holiday. Had an issue about flash on Android, but the Puffin browser did the trick, so it meets my need. If anyone has clubpoints, its a no-brain

Puffin dealt with Flash fine then? This is what I was worried about.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5124 on: October 30, 2014, 07:08:36 am »
Puffin dealt with Flash fine then? This is what I was worried about.
Yep had to pay £2 but the football site I use works fine.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5125 on: October 30, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »
Firefox supports flash as well, free and better than Puffin.

Stock android browser is also flash enabled, only thing is that it hasn't been updated in ages(due to chrome becoming tje 'official' browser)

Phuk yoo

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5126 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:19 pm »
Firefox supports flash as well, free and better than Puffin.

Stock android browser is also flash enabled, only thing is that it hasn't been updated in ages(due to chrome becoming tje 'official' browser)

Yes but the footy site I bought the tablet for, the Hudl2 after much testing only works on the Puffin browser. My other Android devices (S2) works fine with firefox, stock browser etc. Not sure why the Hudl2 4.2.2 behaves that way, but as long as one browser plays legacy Flash, I'm Ok with it given the price and quality of the tablet.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5127 on: October 30, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »
Want the missus to bring me back an ipad air 2 from Canada, can get the 64gb one over there for £400 after all the taxes they add on. which is £80 less than here. But still don't know if it's worth it. Not a big apple fan either, but it's got good reviews.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5128 on: October 30, 2014, 03:16:40 pm »
Fist impressions, its beautiful to hold, very well made, love the soft plastic cover. Screen seems pretty decent. I purchased it to watch games on stream while on holiday. Had an issue about flash on Android, but the Puffin browser did the trick, so it meets my need. If anyone has clubpoints, its a no-brainer.

Ah, you're tempting me now!

Yep had to pay £2 but the football site I use works fine.

Which footie site are you using?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5129 on: October 30, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »
Ah, you're tempting me now!

Which footie site are you using?
PM'd you mate, they don't like to advertise.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5130 on: October 30, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »
PM'd you mate, they don't like to advertise.

Thanks. :)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #5131 on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:49 pm »
Saving for an iPad Air 2 myself. Cant wait to get it. top quality device.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline LadsPen

• Kopite
« Reply #5132 on: November 4, 2014, 03:22:47 pm »
Saving for an iPad Air 2 myself. Cant wait to get it. top quality device.
Just a heads up on this one but the back of the ipad air 2 resonates when youre playing any audio whatsoever. Pretty much a given as its so thin but it still surprised me when I got mine.

Other than that (which doesn't really bother me- I almost always wear headphones), its brill. I've gone from the iPad 3 (which was still going great guns so I've given it to our kid) to this and can't get over the difference in pretty much everything. Granted, only 5 days in but even so.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5133 on: November 15, 2014, 06:18:32 pm »
Just picked up my Hudl 2. It really is a gorgeous thing!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5134 on: November 15, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »
Rumoured to be the last huddle.

Apparently they lose a fair bit making each one and rely on the user buying telco products on it to make up for it....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5135 on: November 15, 2014, 06:38:28 pm »
Rumoured to be the last huddle.

Apparently they lose a fair bit making each one and rely on the user buying telco products on it to make up for it....

Didn't buy anything else ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5136 on: November 15, 2014, 06:50:49 pm »
Didn't buy anything else ;D
i wonder if that's why they might discontinue it...

Don't they have a tesco link on it?  I thinks that's the way they planned to make money.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5137 on: November 15, 2014, 07:10:45 pm »
i wonder if that's why they might discontinue it...

Don't they have a tesco link on it?  I thinks that's the way they planned to make money.
Yeah there is, but you barely notice it.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5138 on: November 15, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »
Yeah there is, but you barely notice it.
Download the Nova launcher from play store and you won't see the Tesco bloatware.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5139 on: November 15, 2014, 07:34:55 pm »
Download the Nova launcher from play store and you won't see the Tesco bloatware.
Cheers mate!

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5140 on: November 15, 2014, 08:06:19 pm »

Thanks for that tip. :)

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5141 on: November 15, 2014, 11:10:16 pm »
Love it so far, it really does feel and look so much more expensive than it actually is. Thanks to the vouchers, it only cost £59!

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5142 on: November 15, 2014, 11:22:32 pm »
My Nexus 9 was delivered yesterday, the performance is stunning, especially the sound quality. Android 5 is a big step forward.  Only downside is Sky Go won't work on Lollipop, apparently they're updating the app, despite them probably having a dev build for months, it still isn't compatible with 5.0.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #5143 on: November 30, 2014, 05:41:45 pm »
My Nexus 9 was delivered yesterday, the performance is stunning, especially the sound quality. Android 5 is a big step forward.  Only downside is Sky Go won't work on Lollipop, apparently they're updating the app, despite them probably having a dev build for months, it still isn't compatible with 5.0.
With the 9 having a aspect ratio of 4.3 or whatever I read that web browsing is better but films have a black band above and below thus making the actual viewing screen more or less than same as the nexus 7

Now I want to know that when watching football stream will this also be the case also on landscape position ?

I want to but a 9 or 10 inch purely based on viewing media on a bigger screen than than a 7inch tablet.

Confused slightly as to why you can't have a full screen view

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5144 on: November 30, 2014, 05:53:42 pm »
Love it so far, it really does feel and look so much more expensive than it actually is. Thanks to the vouchers, it only cost £59!
I got one a few weeks ago and had been saving vouchers up so paid only £40.  It's a cool little thing, I like it a lot.

Ohh, I deleted all the TESCO related stuff off it.  Me bad haha.

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5145 on: November 30, 2014, 09:39:06 pm »
My lads Hudl 1 we got him last Chtistmas has now had two new USB charging ports, common fault apparently, be careful when you plug the charger in.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5146 on: November 30, 2014, 09:48:53 pm »
My lads Hudl 1 we got him last Chtistmas has now had two new USB charging ports, common fault apparently, be careful when you plug the charger in.
Yeah even the Hudl2 seems a bit flakey. Try not to use Samsung phone leads. Use the one provided.  I noticed that the fit is slightly off and you could end up damaging the port if you force it.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5147 on: December 1, 2014, 02:02:31 pm »
I got an iPad Mini 2 a couple of weeks ago. I don't really need it at all, but I was looking to upgrade my ereader from the original Kindle I had, whose background is a bit too gray, in addition to being unable to read in the dark, which will come in handy when I finally take the bus trips to the beach here. I have barely taken it out of the box though, because I am waiting to get a nice leather case for it, something a bit better than that floppy rubbery one that everyone's got.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5148 on: December 2, 2014, 11:26:07 pm »

My one complaint with the Hudl 2 is this. Shit myself every time I take the charger out. Pretty daft that the port is on the "bottom" of the device as well (some apps only open that way up).

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5149 on: December 2, 2014, 11:26:39 pm »
Yeah even the Hudl2 seems a bit flakey. Try not to use Samsung phone leads. Use the one provided.  I noticed that the fit is slightly off and you could end up damaging the port if you force it.

I'm having to use my Samsung one because the one provided broke after three days ::)

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5150 on: December 3, 2014, 12:20:45 am »
I'm having to use my Samsung one because the one provided broke after three days ::)
For the price yous lot got yours for. I'm not going to feel sorry for you. I don't shop in Tesco so paid full whack...;-) complain and get a new one.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5151 on: December 20, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »
My son is getting a Kindle Fire HDX for Christmas. In terms of games, is the Amazon Store really that far behind Google Play store to make rooting a requirement?

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5152 on: December 20, 2014, 12:57:23 pm »
On my new tab s 10.5 tethering from my phone

love it, screen is amazing

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5153 on: December 24, 2014, 11:30:27 am »
Got the lollipop update available for my Sony Z tablet today, always quite apprehensive about updating, sometimes things become unstable.

Offline red-5times-indian

• Main Stander
  • Mario my wayward son....
« Reply #5154 on: December 25, 2014, 05:34:41 am »
With this increasingly blurry lines between tablets and laptops, I'm not quite sure where to put this in but here goes.
I'm planning to to get the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 i7 4 core, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 512 SSD HDD. 12" . I think it looks gorgeous. Any quick thoughts?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5155 on: December 31, 2014, 04:08:37 pm »
Got a Galaxy Tab 4 but can't for the life of me work out how to set Chrome so it opens to a homepage I want on Android.  Is that possible?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #5156 on: December 31, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »
Got a Galaxy Tab 4 but can't for the life of me work out how to set Chrome so it opens to a homepage I want on Android.  Is that possible?

Unfortunately not. The best you can do is to save your homepage as a shortcut on the desktop or wherever and open chrome via that rather than the chrome icon. Even then it'll just be another tab on top of the ones you had open the last time you closed chrome. The inbuilt android browser (called 'internet' on my tab) allows you to do it though, and seems to be sync-ed with the chrome bookmarks if you want to try using that.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5157 on: January 1, 2015, 06:25:02 am »
With this increasingly blurry lines between tablets and laptops, I'm not quite sure where to put this in but here goes.
I'm planning to to get the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 i7 4 core, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 512 SSD HDD. 12" . I think it looks gorgeous. Any quick thoughts?

12 inches is laptop territory. Stretching it calling it a 'tablet'.

Windows based tablets are the best if you do some serious work on your tablet rather than just media consumption. With those specs, it is a full fledged laptop  replacement.
Phuk yoo

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5158 on: January 6, 2015, 09:14:23 pm »
I have noticed that while using the tab s, facbook pictures are all pixelated, as are pictures on news pages?

any ideas

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #5159 on: January 11, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »
In our house we have a 7", 10" Galaxy Tab 2 for the kids and I have just been given a Kindle Fire. Has anybody else here rooted any of these tablets? Am I correct in thinking rooting the Galaxys should speed them up too? Thanks for any advice.