Author Topic: RAWK Round Table Liverpool 2-0 Balloon Head City Tigers  (Read 7168 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table Liverpool 2-0 Balloon Head City Tigers
« on: January 1, 2014, 04:56:56 pm »
A result over a Steve Bruce team is always welcome. A clean sheet and no player stretchered off either is a bonus. Dirty Hull.
It was an odd match, scrappy, end to end in parts, us all over them in others. But very nice to see some proper resilient playing from young heads.
A wonderful free kick and Agger reminding us of his talent that doesn't shine enough.

Any thoughts apart from Balloon Head?
« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 06:37:55 pm by Hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table Liverpool 2-0 Balloon Head Utd
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »
we had to win , we did

thought we had a slow start but quality came through - the difference between home and away when sometimes it just melts away or happens in little pockets of individuality rather than the team coming together (not in the 'big' games obviously).

we reacted well to Hulls bully boy tactics - 3rd ref in a row that needs looking at

Suarez kept his head, he'll have to be knifed before he gets a pen

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »
I thought we did a professional job in not the best circumstances, tired, players missing playing an alehouse team.  No matter how well we played in both games coming off the back of two defeats made everyone a little edgy. We'd given half the Anny to Hull for their day out and it was obvious from the start that they'd come to spoil. Little things like kicking away every Liverpool free kick, attempts to grab ten yards at every dead ball had obviously been coached by Fathead and were pissing me off but the Liverpool players remained more professional than me and didn't react despite it breaking up play and any momentum. The ref signalled from the start he wasn't going to provide any protection for our footballers and Hull realised they could put their spoiling game into full flow.

Injuries had forced us to go with Aspas who didn't look up to the physical side of the game and consequently seemed off the pace generally. Cissokho who's positional play was poor looked as if he was doing his upmost to avoid being involved in the first half, improving for the second but he never provided an out during the first half and meant we were playing carrying a player. Yet we coped not allowing them to create any real danger and slowly gaining the upper hand when our passing and movement paid dividends.

It was a good result last season they'd have frustrated us more and possibly snatched a point but if Hull dictated that it was never going to be anything but a bit of a dogfight we reacted well, not feeling sorry for ourselves but grinding out the win that we deserved. Must mention their fans who seemed to think adding 'Stand up if you buy The Sun' to the usual predicable ditties was clever. Small time unoriginal pricks.

« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 05:58:57 pm by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2014, 05:50:44 pm »
It was good enough. Thought we played very well in parts, mediocre in others. I think it was clear we had a number of good players missing and we weren't as fluid as we usually are at home - Aspas struggled again with his ball control, probably again due to the pace of the game, Coutinho was often trying too hard. Hull were set up in a way that meant our front players were always  closely marked when they came short to receive, which meant we had to use the spaces wisely - when the ball was played into feet of our attacking players coming short and marked by a defender, we had to have direct runs from midfield into the spaces left behind. Sometimes we didn't do this enough and we lost tempo to our attack, other times we did - Sterling's good situation in the first half, Henderson's great chance which he put wide.

I don't want to say it was a very efficient performance because there were some areas we could have controlled better but I think it was important to get the win after the previous two losses and whether that was from set pieces didn't matter. Good to get a clean sheet as well.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2014, 06:06:45 pm »
I was quite pleased that now we are starting to be a threat on set pieces as well. We have been useless at them for ages, to the point that if we encountered park-the bus-teams, we had problems scoring if our more creative players were tightly marked.

That is not to take away from the chances we created... and we did create them, both from open play, as well the break,  but failed to score from lack of finishing.  With the additional thread of set pieces -  and we have scored from them in the past two games, we have added something in our aim to get more goals.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2014, 06:13:33 pm »
I was quite pleased that now we are starting to be a threat on set pieces as well. We have been useless at them for ages, to the point that if we encountered park-the bus-teams, we had problems scoring if our more creative players were tightly marked.

Brendan Rodgers is turing into a Tony Pulis/Sam Allardyce hybrid :P

I agree though, we've been excellent at them this season. I've been complaining that we don't seem to practice our set piece defending during training because we've been awful at them this season but it's only fair to praise Rodgers for us being such a threat from them this season. Gerrard's always had it in his locker but this seasons he seems to have stepped it up and his deliveries, even from corners, have been second to none. And Coutinho's seem to have been getting better as well in recent games. It's helped us that Suarez's and Sturridge's movement is excellent and that Skrtel and Agger (yesterday & Man Utd) attack the ball, as do Sakho (who should have had three goals already) and Toure.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table Liverpool 2-0 Balloon Head City Tigers
« Reply #6 on: January 2, 2014, 06:22:11 pm »
I thought it was a professional performance.

Didn't think Johnson was particularly bad. Cissokho grew into the game, he doesn't look great going forward and a few nervy moments but he's a useful backup, we all know he wouldn't be playing but the two ahead of him are injured so what can you do?

Hull were a bunch of shithouses, but what annoyed me was the ref seemed happy to let them break up the play, gave us nothing for the first half hour or so, and it looked like it could be a bitty draw until we scored that goal that was ruled offside.

Agger and Skrtel were decent, Coutinho, yes his shooting is errant at the minute but boy what a player he is. Sterling his usual industrious self (work on those one on ones in training la) as was Henderson.

Great to see Gerrard back, although he was doing evne less running than usual. Shame the ball kept falling to his left foot so he didn't get a chance to score one of his edge of the box screamers, as he we was in the right place many times just not quite the right fall of the ball for him.

Really pleased to get the momentum back on track.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 11:35:08 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Not too Xabi

• for Rachel!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: January 2, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »
Given the events of the previous week, this game represented a big test of character for the lads, and I'm pleased to say its one they, eventually, passed with relative ease.

It's a testament to the growing mental strength of the squad that we managed to overcome the tiredness, lack of key personnel, and disappointment from the city/Chelsea games in order to dig in and grind out a win - a scenario from which we have often come unstuck in recent years, especially against set piece cloggers, who set up to do nothing more than defending and the odd bit of casual GBH.

First 20 mins we looked jaded and the build up was far too laboured, giving Hull ample time to get set in what seemed like two banks of fifteen.
As soon as we opened them up for the first time, Sterlings 1v1 following Luis' deft angled header, we had them figured out (get it in to Luis' feet quickly and look to get the CB's turned with runners in behind) from that point onwards we never looked in any trouble.

The other main positive has to be our continued potency from set pieces. Free kicks are becoming more like penalties for Suarez, and after what seems like decades of bitching about how crap we are from corners etc, this season feels like all my Christmases have come at once - and that is 100% down to the fact that both Gerrard and Coutinho have greatly improved the consistency of their deliveries.
I feel our centre backs, Skrtel in particular, have always been pretty good at attacking the ball, but the delivery was often so piss poor that they had no chance.
Credit must go to both the players and the coaching staff, as the improvements have been marked, and we are reaping the rewards. That ball Coutinho put in for the Suarez disallowed goal was undefendable.

A couple of obvious negatives; yet again, the stand in players largely failed to really grasp their opportunities. Agger slotted back in seemlessly and had a very solid game but Cissokho and Aspas still look some way short of what's required.
Feel sorry for Cissokho. Injuries have clearly ravaged him to the point where he's a shell of the marauding powerhouse we saw at Porto. A real shame.
Aspas has more than a shade of the Garcia's about him. Hes horribly lightweight, and often wanders through games infuriating with one misplaced pass after another, however, every now and again he does something that reminds you that there's a player in there somewhere: that first time cushioned lay off for Hendo's chance was gorgeous.
Unfortunately for Iago, I don't think we're currently at liberty to give him the game time he needs in order to get up to speed with the pace of the premier league. We're about to embark on an almighty dust up for fourth place and we just can't afford any passengers.

The other main negative is that our attacking midfielders continue to be profligate in front of goal. Hendo, Sterling and Coutinho all had guilt edged chances to put the game out of sight by half time. The three of them simply have to improve their composure in front of goal, as we desperately need our midfield to start sharing the scoring burden.

As for Hull, what a horrible set of shithouse yard dogs. Fat head Jnr committed at least four yellow card offences and they might as well have painted "Meyler 7" on the side of a Combine Harvester and just driven it around the pitch flattening our players.
Let's hope this defeat signals the start of a monumental slide towards the relegation trap door for them, as I would rather get wanked off by Edward Scissorhands than go to that inbred shithole again next season.

Anyway, a hard fought and satisfying win. Onwards and upwards  :)
"Winning trophies has made me put on weight"  - Rafa Benitez

Offline 00jebus

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2014, 08:15:29 pm »
Hull are basically the new Stoke, does anyone else feel their constantly fouling our players served to disrupt our play more than their actual (within the laws of the game) defending?
For the first hour Its almost like their whole plan was to stop all of our attacks from building up, no matter the cost in cards.
Class will always tell, and we did manage to carve them open a few times though, just poor finishing from Coutinho and Hendo let us down there.
Thankfully we are good from set peices!

Our wing backs really are a problem position right now, obviously Enrique and Flanno are out, but Cissokho and Johnson didn't offer much going forward here. To be fair, Johnson did take a knock early on (which he did to himself, fatigue leading to clumseyness I'd blame) and neither put a foot wrong whenever we had to defend.

We are lacking in rotational depth, but I don't think we will have sorted that until this time next year, but as shown today, even with a depleated squad fighting fatigue we can pull out a professional performance against a physical side who were on a high and still win.
Which is a very good sign for the future.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2014, 08:24:21 pm »
It was good enough. Thought we played very well in parts, mediocre in others. I think it was clear we had a number of good players missing and we weren't as fluid as we usually are at home - Aspas struggled again with his ball control, probably again due to the pace of the game, Coutinho was often trying too hard. Hull were set up in a way that meant our front players were always  closely marked when they came short to receive, which meant we had to use the spaces wisely - when the ball was played into feet of our attacking players coming short and marked by a defender, we had to have direct runs from midfield into the spaces left behind. Sometimes we didn't do this enough and we lost tempo to our attack, other times we did - Sterling's good situation in the first half, Henderson's great chance which he put wide.

I don't want to say it was a very efficient performance because there were some areas we could have controlled better but I think it was important to get the win after the previous two losses and whether that was from set pieces didn't matter. Good to get a clean sheet as well.

I think we can be very happy with both the performance and the result and no major injuries.. I imagine we all would have taken it before the kick-off. We stayed patient and created a number of excellent opportunities, worked the goalie and really could have won by 4 in my opinion. All of this while completely snuffing out any threat from Hull. I made the mistake of having the commentary on for the first half and it was laughable what the analysis was. Hull in the game, frustrating Liverpool while Sagbo had a shot .... aaaah not so. Liverpool controlled the game, Hull kicked the shite out of Suarez, slowed, spoiled and griped trying to provoke and all the while we stayed calm and played ball. We scored from a corner - clean - cool, something we have improved on hugely this season. First half Hendo and Sterling should have trebled the lead. At the same time it wasn't fireworks. Aspas had a difficult time, Glen bollixed himself in the first 5 minutes, Cissokho was not much of a threat ever but we got the job done.
Step up Luis. Ridiculous talent. 2-0.
Thereafter it was more about seeing the game out. For me anyway we just out-played Hull all the time, even when they had their little hustle spell they created nothing and more importantly we did not panic, kept cool, kept playing it around the back and the middle.
Certain impressions;
Coutinho seemed very motivated and determined (too much so) to score and make an impression. I liked his attitude and focus eventho' his touch was way off a lot of the time. He kept going. I think he wants the 10 role ? I think it suits him to be involved more. He lasted the 90 very well.
Skrtel had an excellent game for me. He pushed forward forcefully many times with the ball and looked very confident. Has that anything to do with Agger at his side?
Sterling was very solid and smart and played really well. Obviously will sparkle when a few goals go in.
Hendo and Lucas just bossed the game, both excellent.
Happy days. The whole game was kind of anti-sparkle but I liked it a lot.
Happy New Year

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #10 on: January 2, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »

As for Hull, what a horrible set of shithouse yard dogs. Fat head Jnr committed at least four yellow card offences and they might as well have painted "Meyler 7" on the side of a Combine Harvester and just driven it around the pitch flattening our players.
Let's hope this defeat signals the start of a monumental slide towards the relegation trap door for them, as I would rather get wanked off by Edward Scissorhands than go to that inbred shithole again next season.

Hes from the same area as me so I seen him alot growing up and played against him. He was the same under age, absolutel shithouse, regularly getting sent off and making horrendous tackles.

Still cant believe he's a premiership footballer BTW, never really stood out as someone with great ability or that would make it beyond League of Ireland................. at the very best!
« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 09:38:36 pm by El_Pelusa_10 »

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 2, 2014, 09:51:53 pm »
Great win. Very professional. I think the league is beyond us this year, but that was the kind of performance you see from champions.

How Hull finished with 11 men I don't know. They are a nasty side. Can't stand Bruce, but fair fucks to him for his reaction to the stick he got. Made me laugh.

Positives:

Henderson looked excellent again. Shame about his finishing. When he finds his shooting boots he is going to have a lot of pundits eating their words.

Agger seemed very assured and took his goal very well.

Sterling. Boy was I wrong about him. I thought he had lost his way and was beginning to wonder what the fuss was all about. He has been exceptional for the last few weeks. He has made me eat a lot of humble pie lately. When he sharpens up his finishing, and he will, he is going to get a lot of goals. I can see him getting 10 this year. Next year - god knows how many. His runs are superb and he is now taking on his man with more confidence.

Negatives:

Johnson. What is up with him? Is he carrying a knock. It is like a different player. If he was at his best I think we would be very close to the title this year.

Skrtel.Had a decent game, but I just don't rate him. His touch and passing are just not good enough for me. He looked a bit better in the air at set pieces though. I think he would be a great defender in a traditional deep back four, but don't think he suits our game.

Continuo's shooting and passing looks way off. He will get better though. His movement and dribbling is fantastic. He will be back to his best soon I am sure. I think he really likes playing with pay forwards like Sturbridge and Sterling. They suit his game perfectly. 

Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline jeremyh94

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: January 2, 2014, 10:09:28 pm »
It called to mind the old Souness saying that you had to win the battle before you could win the game. And Sterling was particularly combative, which was good to see.
Looking at the first half from behind Johnson it was noticeable that he would hardly ever pass the ball down the line. No understanding with Aspas at all. So the ball came back to Skrtel as often as not.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #13 on: January 2, 2014, 10:11:55 pm »
We didn't look comfortable all game passing out from the back, especially without Allen and Flanagan/Enrique who all help to bring the ball out in tight, pressured situations. Strangely I thought Skrtel was the most positive in bringing the ball out.

Henderson is astonishing, his rate of improvement doesn't seem to be slowing up at all, just getting better and better each week. Just needs to improve his finishing at this stage. It was good how he stood up for Suarez a few times, need other players to do that too, good that Stevie is back in that regard.

The two whipping boys seem to be Aspas and Moses at the moment. Moses doesn't look bothered to be quite honest, got no time for him. Aspas just look like he needs to adapt and get used to things, doesn't look like he has much confidence at the moment and clearly hasn't got to grips with the league yet. Some of his lays off for oncoming players are absolutely brilliant though, there is a clear intelligence and technique to match, just needs to find some consistency.

I really hope Rodgers has got something up his sleeve for protecting Suarez, it's getting back to the bad old days where he couldn't buy a foul. Mourinho's treatment was literally adding insult to injury, gave him a knock in the game and then had a dig in the press too. Thank fuck that Suarez is a real fighter and will display despite niggling injuries.

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: January 2, 2014, 10:59:53 pm »
A couple of things I noticed were Henderson playing alongside Lucas to start, and even when Gerrard came on as Gerrard took the more advanced role that Countinho had been playing.  I believe this to be the first time this season Henderson has played in that position, and he was just fine.  He and Lucas seemed to have a better understanding than Lucas and Gerrard, although when Gerrard came on and started stroking the ball around it was immediately obvious what Gerrard brings.

The second thing I noticed was that it seemed to me that Skrtel had a "free" role on defending corners.  I could be completely bonkers but it seemed to me that Skrtel was not given a player to mark but was told to go win the ball, and did so successfully.

The most important thing about the game is that Hull had zero shots on target.  The two CB's and DM's were excellent.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 2, 2014, 11:24:08 pm »
Great bit about our first goal is where Skrtl has a small chat with Agger just before the corner is taken. There's been a break in play because the ref wants to sort out shirt pulling:

Curtis Davies spots the chat. Bruce is marking Agger, who is very mobile, Davies doesn't seem sure who to watch for and in the end is totally fooled. Agger darts right across half the width of the goal, Bruce is blocked in traffic and Skrtl, just in case the ball comes free, is totally free at the far post (Hendo's position is good too). Great stuff, shows how difficult it is I think to track movement of attacking players from dead balls like this if it's done right. My guess is Skrtl was telling Agger to head towards the near post but who knows.

They work well as a team those two. They without doubt our best central defensive partnership in terms of understanding each other. Still a doubt about them for me as being the best we can do, though. Sakho is gonna loom over one of them, it's been Agger so far but it could still end up being Skrtl. For now we're in pretty solid hands.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: January 2, 2014, 11:47:22 pm »
There is really only one way to describe that game - workmanlike. We did what we had to do and that is great. In the past few seasons we wouldn't have had that level of professionalism to cope with that after the previous 2 games. Plus Hull were on a bit of a high as well. Luckily Steve Bruce wasn't really looking for the win. He was only after a point. I don't understand that mentality, especially after having United on the ropes previously and throwing it away.

Anyway back to our performance. I have to feel for Iago Aspas. He is copping plenty of flak all over the place. I actually think he could play an important part yet this season. Yes, he looks very rusty. But he has hardly played this season and I don't care what anybody says, training is not like game time. You can train all pre season but it still takes games to sharpen up. This is his problem. Plus he is not really a winger either. Play him up front against Oldham and see how he goes. His touch for Henderson's miss was sublime.

The back four were quite solid. Johnson was better than he has been for some time before he went off. Cissokho didn't really get into the game until the second half but didn't do anything wrong and it looks like he was told to stay put in the first half and let Raheem do the attacking down the left side. Skrtyl has his critics but he did OK for me. As did Agger. Although they really didn't have to deal with much as Lucas and Henderson mopped up most of the play before it got to the centre halves anyway. Hull didn't really pose much of a threat bar set pieces and the odd pot shot from distance. Their main job was to kick the shit out of anyone in a red shirt.

The midfield were good as well. Countinho's passing was off for much of the game but I don't want to see him stifle his creativity by not trying things. His timing and touch will come back. That run in the second half that finished with him blasting into the keeper was amazing. He really deserved a goal for that. Having said that, if he had of squared the ball for Luis or Sterling it would have been a tap in. Suarez was not happy but he takes shots when he should pass so it all levels out. Henderson and Lucas just dominated. It looked like Jordan had a paddock in the middle. He wasn't being pressed too hard and his passing improved as the game went on. Lucas chimed in with a few critical interceptions as well. He did what he always does. Stuff that never gets the plaudits, but someone has to do it. He is a very unselfish footballer. Both Jordan and Coutinho need to work on their finishing though. The game should have been over at half time. There were a couple of golden opportunities that should have been buried. It cost us against City and will do against the bigger teams. Yes, we got away with it this time, but in a few weeks against Arsenal and Everton, it could prove crucial.

Luis had a very quiet game barring that sensational free kick. He was getting lumps kicked out of him and they shouldn't have finished with 11 men. That Myler is a vindictive, dirty little shite eating bastard. He was sent out to do a job and that comes back to negative tactics from Bruce. Referees have to start protecting players from these Sunday Pub League tactics. Luis has done himself no favours in the past by trying to pick up Academy Awards every time a defender comes near him, but surely the referee can see some of the tactics used are bordering on Rugby? Chelsea got away with it last week and now Hull do the same. Every team in the league will think they have permission to kick Luis into next week every time they play him. If referees don't stop this from happening then he will surely pick up a catastrophic injury that could well derail our season. Hang on, that's what many of them want!!

All in all though, I was impressed with the way Rodgers approached this game. We did look just a tad nervous until the goal and then we really just coasted. It was great to see Stevie get a run out, but I still wonder what Alberto has to do to get some minutes. Maybe that will happen this weekend in the cup? I am starting to think Victor Moses was a bit of a mistake as well. Is he any better than Borini? He just looks half arsed. Can we send him back in January?

We have a few should win games coming up and games against Everton and Arsenal could really put us in the frame for the top 4 or even better. Both those games are virtual 6 pointers.

Onwards and upwards.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline Not too Xabi

• for Rachel!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: January 3, 2014, 12:29:22 am »

They work well as a team those two. They without doubt our best central defensive partnership in terms of understanding each other. Still a doubt about them for me as being the best we can do, though. Sakho is gonna loom over one of them, it's been Agger so far but it could still end up being Skrtl. For now we're in pretty solid hands.

Agreed.

Skrtel and Agger have an excellent understanding as a partnership but Sakho is probably our best individual centre half. Toure and Agger also looked promising as a partnership early season (3 or 4 clean sheets on the bounce IIRC?).

An interesting dilemma for Brendan when everyone's fit.
"Winning trophies has made me put on weight"  - Rafa Benitez

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 3, 2014, 12:58:49 am »
Great result. Decent performance. Thought both teams looked a bit leggy but one had quality and the other had none. If our younger players improve in front of goal it's frightening how many goals could be in this team. I suspect it will happen under Rodgers. While Sterling didn't really deliver a killer blow in this one, I really noticed how much his movement off the ball has improved. Get Sturridge in there as well and we'll be a nightmare to defend against.
Nice to keep a clean sheet even if the tigers were shite. For once I'm glad that we have a bit of a break until the next league game. We need a breather. Brendan needs to speak out about the rough treatment Luis is getting. He's a machine but eventually someone is going to do damage to him.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2014, 07:44:56 am »
What after 45 minutes of football, I thought was an incredibly slow and poor performance turned into a very measured and professional performance in the second half. I think we improved our control of the game during the second period, we seemed to be playing more of the football we wanted to play and despite never getting out of second gear, we always seemed in complete control. Suarez's second was yet another sublime free kick. The response from the Kop to sing 'What the fucking hell was that' as the ball ballooned in from Suarez's second free kick and Suarez's smile at the end of it was a great moment too.

As for Hull, they went about their defensive work like a group of lumberjacks in a forest. Felling our players from all directions. I wonder if there is a regulation that allows Suarez and to a lesser extent Coutinho to turn up and play in Kevlar armour. Brendan has to come out and call for referees to protect our players. Teams seem to have figured out how to stop Suarez at the moment which is to basically kick the shit out of him while the English FA appointed referees turn a blind eye. It happened against City where Kompany who is a great player by the way was getting away with a kick here and a kick there to break up the play. That was where I would draw the line in terms of physical attention. The Chelsea game was much worse and the Hull game continued in the same vein. And in all of this, Suarez has to my total surprise behaved himself very well. He seems much less petulant than ever and perhaps its a mix of him biding time before the next move or just being happy that he is finally playing in a team that looks like they could challenge for major honours. Whatever it is, long may it continue. The commentators even picked up on some of the ridiculously rough treatment he was copping and Craig Bellamy on sky sports' best XI or whatever the show is called also said that Suarez gets kicked more than any player in the league. This is the time of Brendan to come out and state the same. He is by far our best player and needs protection.

The rest of the players all did okay. Coutinho looks to be trying too hard and perhaps needs to have someone telling him to just relax but the signs are there that he is ready to kick on. He has got into more shooting opportunities than most players and once he gains a bit of calm in his game, I have a feeling he'll be scoring a lot more. Sterling was his recent buzzing self. Made some good runs and again showed that his movement and game intelligence is top notch. Henderson is another that has come on by absolute leaps and bounds in just a few game but I think Allen was a big miss. We definitely missed his energy in the midfield and I really think he is starting to have a bit of a multiplier effect on the other players.

Agger was a welcome addition at the back. I just feel so secure about him playing in a manner in which I never feel with Skrtel and I really want to see Sakho partnered with him when he returns from injury. Cissokho did okay too without offering much going forward. Johnson continued his run of poor form. He looks overweight to me but I could be wrong. He just doesn't seem as lean and fast as before and his touch has been extremely inconsistent.

Bring on Oldham.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 3, 2014, 12:52:50 pm »
What after 45 minutes of football, I thought was an incredibly slow and poor performance...

Rodgers and the team cannot do anything right in this respect though can they? I don't think your post to be overly negative but I just don't get why people would always tend to rather look at the negatives nowadays as the team has made such massive progress that it's impossible to look at our games in a one dimensional way.

In fact, we didn't play slow in a "poor" way, we waited for the game to open up while keeping possession and controlling the game with keeping the ball which kept them chasing the ball, making them tired. Whenever there was a gap opening up we would pass into those spaces and creating a chance pretty much on every occassion. This was a top, top team performance and I don't know what else do people expect here? Play hyperbole pressing for the sake of it with absolutely no need as we were good enough to control Hull with our passing game only?

It was a joy to watch, again, how easily we kept possession, how calm we passed it around, how we varied the pace of the game and how easy it looked for the players. Hull are no mugs but they simply couldn't find an answer to the quality of our game, how our center backs split apart, how we were able to make the pitch as wide as possible for them in order to chase the ball in possession. In contrast, we were able to make it narrow when pressing them in a way that they could't keep the ball for more than a couple of seconds as our midfield, Lucas especially, did an outstanding and flexible job again.

What else can you ask for? I totally agree with Rodgers that it was our best performance so far considering the fixture list and injuries. Our first 14 players are ready for the job, there is no doubt about that and I expect us to make 4th without a shadow of a doubt this season.

The only question left to me is how we could get the best out of Gerrard for this very crucial period of the season, times for experiments should be over, but I doubt Rodgers didn't notice the massive difference in mobility with and without Gerrard in a box-to-box role. But as always, I am pretty sure Rodgers will find the best solution as it's better to have more options around anyway which is also the case with our three center backs. It's not a matter of having one OR the other, it's a matter of having them ALL around in order to get the best results for the club. And I hope we will approach it the same way with Gerrard coming back for this second half of the season. This is not a legends club (anymore), I would suppose, no? ;)
« Last Edit: January 3, 2014, 12:58:51 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #21 on: January 3, 2014, 09:30:02 pm »
I went the match, just got back home. Loved every bit of four days in Liverpool. I think it would be a sound idea to put Hull City out of existance. They shouldn't moan about being renamed to Tigers because if I were their owner I would just call it curtains for the club.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 4, 2014, 03:20:52 am »
I thought Henderson was great, even in his more withdrawn role. He's starting to really develop some playmaker skills.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2014, 08:49:46 am »
I hope we will approach it the same way with Gerrard coming back for this second half of the season. This is not a legends club (anymore), I would suppose, no? ;)
I'd love to see Gerrard and Sterling share the same position, Stevie plays 60-65mins, Sterling subs in