Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 584421 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #7440 on: June 25, 2019, 02:09:12 pm »
This is the issue for me. H&G had gone and we had Kenny in charge, there was a sense of optimism, but we really needed everybody pulling in the same direction to drag us out of the shit. And Torres Fucked off...to Chelsea of all teams.

I have less of a problem with how Sterling left than Torres. Time has softened my anger towards Torres, he was fucking incredible for us and it's nice to remember the good times.

That seems weird. Sterling strung us along while his agent shit talked the club. All to engineer a move.

Torres sustained more obvious tanking by the club (things were beginning to go downhill for us while Sterling was looking at leaving, but not to same degree) and for much longer. And then talked about wanting to leave during one window, was told not to train with the team and then not long after we sent him on his way with a smile on our face.

One of them we got good money for considering his sad decline (which had clearly already set in), the other was bad money given his obvious talent and young age.

I guess it probably just reflects that Torres was more loved, and so it hit harder

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7441 on: June 26, 2019, 12:51:49 am »
For us he was exceptional

All types of goals, so explosive and just seemed born to score goals. Its hard to pick a favourite goal but a few of the most memorable for me are the first against Chelsea, the worldie against Blackburn (still no idea how he scored that from there), the drag and finish against Marseille, the first in the 4-1 because of where he actually finishes the chance and that late, late...LATE winner against Villa in the rain when it seemed certain we would drop points

Gutted when he left but it was his choice, cant think of many players who's form fell off a cliff quite so spectacularly. Still, at his peak the guy was unplayable. His song (will always be one of the best football songs imo), the partnership with Stevie, THAT Nike advert will always be remembered fondly by me
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:57:15 am by RyanBabel19 »

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7442 on: June 26, 2019, 01:44:01 am »
Was always a fun song to belt out.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7443 on: June 26, 2019, 02:32:23 am »
Was a short time but for me he was better than Fowler, Owen and even Mo. Suarez I would have above him but that’s it.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #7444 on: June 26, 2019, 08:54:16 am »
Was always a fun song to belt out.

I don't know about anyone else, but that era of songs (2004-2010) had some of our best songs I thought.

Starting with Harry Kewell's, then with Rafa joining, bringing Alonso, Garcia (and Nunez) and the songs the spawned from that, into Ring of Fire to the final really launched an era of them. Later on we had Maxi's, N'Gog's (better song than player arguably) and a few others.

The Torres bounce though - you couldn't beat it for building up the crowd. I remember the cup game against Leeds where Becchio scored early doors (only for it to be struck off for offside) and N'Gog scored for a 1-0 win; the entire away end bouncing, almost feeling like the stand might collapse, and singing those that tune.

I do wonder, and I don't profess to be able to read minds or that I am an expert, but is the perceived downturn in the quality of the atmosphere these days possibly because the songs haven't got that same catchiness/party(not the best word, I know) feel - I'm not trying to slag off our current songs, they just seem a bit more complex than the older ones which can be difficult for people to pick up (speaking from experience there have been a few over the last 5 years or so where I haven't had the first clue).

Taken this massively off topic so back on topic - he was a monster of a player. I remember when he signed, I was over in Tenerife with a load of mate's on a "lads holiday" (Lads! Lads! Lads! etc.) and the news started to filter through over the course of the day. Rather than go out smashing it like most would, we ended up finding a bar with Sky Sports News so we could follow the updates until it was essentially confirmed... and then we went out smashing it all really pumped up about signing him.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7445 on: June 26, 2019, 09:03:13 am »

Taken this massively off topic so back on topic - he was a monster of a player. I remember when he signed, I was over in Tenerife with a load of mate's on a "lads holiday" (Lads! Lads! Lads! etc.) and the news started to filter through over the course of the day. Rather than go out smashing it like most would, we ended up finding a bar with Sky Sports News so we could follow the updates until it was essentially confirmed... and then we went out smashing it all really pumped up about signing him.
im glad you brought this up, it was definitely a very exciting signing.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #7446 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:40 am »
He was the statement signing of the H&G era - new owners, looking to show off what they could for us, such a shame how it all fell apart.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7447 on: June 26, 2019, 01:00:20 pm »
That seems weird. Sterling strung us along while his agent shit talked the club. All to engineer a move.

Torres sustained more obvious tanking by the club (things were beginning to go downhill for us while Sterling was looking at leaving, but not to same degree) and for much longer. And then talked about wanting to leave during one window, was told not to train with the team and then not long after we sent him on his way with a smile on our face.

One of them we got good money for considering his sad decline (which had clearly already set in), the other was bad money given his obvious talent and young age.

I guess it probably just reflects that Torres was more loved, and so it hit harder

There are certainly things very with how Sterling left - but, his last season for us we were an absolute shambles. Rodgers had no idea what he was doing and was quite clearly out of his depth, thrashing around for potential solutions non of which were much better than the last.  For a lot of this, Sterling was being asked to play wing-back in a god awful three at the back system in which he was totally isolated most games while the boo boys where clambering over themselves to get on his back. If I was Sterling, I would have been very unhappy that season and with the club making it clear that Rodgers would be there the following season, I understand why he might have been looking at other options.

Torres on the other hand - was at a club where we'd had a change in manager (and not just any manager) - and where he was worshiped unconditionally by the fans   

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7448 on: June 26, 2019, 02:28:30 pm »
i dont think Sterling played wing back much, last three months of that season he was pretty poor. Transfer shite obviously in his head.

his agent was being a massive c*nt too.

Rodgers seemed to lose his way a bit that season alright, as soon as we lost a match he was chopping and changing formation

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7449 on: June 28, 2019, 06:09:53 pm »
The benefit of almost a decade’s hindsight tells us that he was a shadow of his former self even before he left the club. The very definition of a busted flush at just 26, the point at which he should have been entering his prime years; little more than a collection of injuries yet to come and scar tissue from the ones that had already been. Upon leaving, he reasoned that “the Liverpool I left was not the same club as the one I joined”; by the same token, the Fernando Torres who left was not the same as the one who had arrived for a club-record fee in the summer of 2007. In the end, for an event that was so shocking at the time, his departure developed into something of a historical footnote over subsequent years, a move that neither significantly benefitted nor damaged either party. As a great man said at the time: “The most important thing is the club. More important and bigger than any individual, no matter who has been through it previously and who will in the future. The club is the club. I will never forget that and anyone who does is being a wee bit stupid and irresponsible.”

The sad truth is that both player and club were no longer in a position to help each other by January 2011. Liverpool would rise again, of course, long after Torres’ career at the top level had entered terminal decline, but they had a mountain of rebuilding and learning to undergo in the early years of this decade, from the pitch to the boardroom. The fact that they would go on to win just a single trophy (the 2012 League Cup) in the 8+ years between the Spaniard’s exit and their sixth European Cup earlier this month probably means that Torres can still feel some sense of vindication for his decision. After all, a Spanish Segunda Division medal was all he had to show for the entirety of his club career at the time, and his body was falling apart to such an extent that his window to win more was rapidly closing. But if Liverpool were in no position to help him realise his goals, the reverse was also true: Torres was no longer in much of a position to help Liverpool either, or anyone for that matter, as Chelsea would subsequently find out to their cost.

Had he stayed at Anfield he may well have struck up a prolific partnership with Luis Suárez over the following years, but it’s far more likely that his performances in Chelsea blue would have been replicated in Liverpool red. The days when he could breeze past Tal Ben Haim as if he wasn’t there, claim back-to-back home hat-tricks against West Ham and Middlesbrough that included every kind of goal you can imagine, leave Nemanja Vidic on his arse and finish past Edwin Van Der Sar before holding a five-finger salute aloft to the Old Trafford crowd, snarl at Real Madrid’s away support after opening the scoring in a crucial European Cup knockout game a few minutes after destroying Fabio Cannavaro with an audacious touch on the edge of the Anfield Road penalty area, hold off the considerable bulk of Rio Ferdinand to finish into the roof at the Kop end, swivel and volley over his shoulder into the Blackburn net, and so on, and so on, were long gone.

And that lot is only scratching the surface of how good he was. We’ve been extremely lucky with forwards (centre or otherwise) in the Premier League era, even as this title drought has stretched to 30 years: Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Luis Suárez, Daniel Sturridge, Roberto Firmino, Mo Salah, Sadio Mané. Torres, on ability and attitude, is up there with every single one of them, but his best days in a Liverpool shirt are now over a decade old and they never brought the silverware that was so coveted by both player and supporters. Between that and the little dig he took on the way out (“After this, there are no more steps forward. This is the top level. The target for every footballer is to try and play at one of the top-level clubs in the world, and I can do it now”), feeling towards him is understandably mixed. He is certainly no one’s idea of a legend for a club whose history is littered with them, not after such a short length of time.

What he is, and will always be, is a reminder that keeping the realistic prospect of trophies alive for your best players season after season is a significant test for any top football club, one that Liverpool have consistently failed over the years. It’s easy to forget now, in an era where we are privileged enough to be able to laugh off reports from Spanish rags linking Mo Salah and Sadio Mané with moves away from what the latter has described as the “sexy club” of Europe, where we are able to justifiably wonder why any professional footballer would want to be anywhere else on the planet right now and keep a straight face when we mention the words “Kylian”, “Mbappé” and “Liverpool” in the same sentence, that such stature, such glorious health for a football club to be in, especially without an astoundingly wealthy benefactor behind us, is a relatively new phenomenon, certainly in my time supporting Liverpool and pretty much non-existent in the club’s Premier League history.

Long is the list of world-class talents who arrived, contributed, got close, grew tired of waiting and fed up with the institutional dysfunction around them, and got off elsewhere to fill their trophy cabinet while they still could. As I wrote recently: “…not since that last league title in 1990 has the club managed to gather so many high quality, ambitious individuals together at one time. Each of them will look around that dressing-room ahead of the first game next August and see faces that they trust to help them achieve their goal, unlike players in the past like Fernando Torres, who was looking at Milan Jovanovic, Joe Cole, Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen in the months before he left for Chelsea”.

Virgil Van Dijk, Mo Salah and Sadio Mané have no doubt been living with the exact same concerns over the past couple of seasons that the likes of Torres (left Anfield with nothing), Steve McManaman (an FA Cup and a League Cup), Xabi Alonso (left with a Champions League, FA Cup, Community Shield and European Super Cup, highly-decorated by the Liverpool standards of the time), Javier Mascherano (nothing), Luis Suárez (a single League Cup medal), and Phil Coutinho (nothing) did over the years. Before the start of this month, Salah boasted a couple of Swiss Super Leagues, Mané an Austrian Bundesliga and Austrian Cup, and Van Dijk a couple of Scottish Premierships and a Scottish League Cup for their respective careers, in contrast to a torrent of individual awards, and all of them will soon be staring 30 in the face. Yet the last two seasons have shown them that success — real, tangible success — is possible at Anfield. That’s why Real Madrid and Barcelona are at nothing trying to tempt any of them away, at least for the time being: after all, who is more likely to win the European Cup next season than Liverpool, under a manager yet to lose a two-legged tie with the club?

If the Jürgen Klopp era that we’ve been enjoying since October 2015 has crystallised nothing else, it’s that the very best players are at their happiest and most content when there is the realistic prospect of trophies. Not money — a top, or even mediocre, professional footballer can get that anywhere — but silverware. Medals to show the kids, the grandkids, the great-grandkids. Something tangible to show for a lifetime spent in football. And not three or four years down the line: it has to be now, because the footballer’s equivalent of a biological clock is always ticking ever onwards.

Van Dijk, for example, didn’t come to Liverpool because of the fans, or the stadium, or the history, or at least not solely because of those factors. Instead, he sensed imminent glory to be had ‘round the fields of Anfield Road as he waited patiently for Liverpool in the closing months of 2017, despite offers from elsewhere, offers that may have made him that little bit wealthier than he’ll be after he leaves Merseyside. But let’s be honest, he was already exceedingly wealthy either way. The opportunity he saw at Liverpool, perhaps like his manager before him, wasn’t about money: it was about winning trophies and becoming a legend in the process at one of history’s most iconic footballing institutions. And to be fair, his instincts have looked pretty sharp so far: two European Cup finals in 18 months, one of them won, and the third-highest points tally in the history of English football’s top division now scrawled on his CV.

Torres likely sensed the same opportunity when he was tempted away from his hometown and his childhood club, Atlético Madrid, to Merseyside in the summer of 2007. And how could he not? The club he was joining had just reached two European Cup finals in three years (winning one), reached two domestic cup finals in the same timeframe (again, winning one), and had amassed 82 points in the league a season earlier. For a team and squad that was still very much in the process of being built at the time, that was quite a promising haul of success. Together with the historic scenes in Istanbul two years earlier, the Spanish presence around the club and one of the world’s best players in the team (Steven Gerrard), it made Liverpool a highly attractive destination for one of football’s brightest young talents who was ready to take the next step in his career at the tender age of 23.

As it turns out, Torres’ instincts were not quite as sharp as Van Dijk’s: as mentioned, he would leave Anfield three and a half years later saying that “the Liverpool I left was not the same club as the one I joined”. Actually, it was the same club (he was signed under the reign of George Gillett and Tom Hicks, after all). He just hadn’t seen that level of raw dysfunction coming at the time. None of us had, but the signs had been there. Torres joined a very different club than any of Liverpool’s current crop of stars, one that had closed the doors of its club shop the day after Istanbul and had once relied on a loan from its owner to sign Dirk Kuyt for £9m, the same owner who had recently sold it to a couple of half-arsed foreign speculators in the months before Torres’ arrival.

The club’s dysfunction, for the level at which it was trying to compete, quickly dashed any notions the player may have had of sustained success, but any disappointment he felt at that was something he very much had in common with the supporters. He arrived during an initial burst of funds in the opening months of the ramshackle regime inflicted on the club under its first American owners, a flurry of transfer activity that we all foolishly expected to last. By the Spaniard’s first autumn in England, his manager Rafa Benítez was openly feuding with owners who had now apparently closed their wallets (rarely to be opened again) and were sounding out Jürgen Klinsmann for his job. Harmony was suddenly in short supply, as was the money necessary to challenge the financial behemoths of Manchester United and Chelsea, who were making the Premier League their own personal fiefdom during a run where they shared six titles prior to Manchester City’s arrival as a force in 2011/12.

For his part, Torres was mesmeric during his first season at the club (2007/08), scoring 33 goals in all competitions (24 in 33 in the league) and crowning it with the winning goal of Euro 2008. In retrospect, it was the sole campaign where we got to see him at the peak of his powers. He would only feature in 24 games out of 38 in the league during Liverpool’s memorable but failed title charge in 2008/09, just 14 of them alongside Gerrard, and his goal return in the league fell from 24 to a disappointing 14. Lack of funds coupled with poor transfer decisions meant that David N’gog was often expected to pick up the slack. He rebounded somewhat with virtually a goal-a-game in the league during the difficult 2009/10 season (18 in 22), but injuries were again the defining factor. He missed significant chunks of Liverpool’s bitterly disappointing campaign, including the closing weeks due to surgery, played only a bit-part in Spain’s World Cup win that summer as a consequence, and came back to Roy Hodgson as his new manager.

"Two years ago we were very close to winning the league; we were practically touching heaven. We were second in the league, quarter-final, semi-final in the Champions League and then two years later is the complete opposite”. Indeed. To be fair to Torres, he was vocal about what lay ahead and gave due notice of his frustrations. Having lost at home to Reading in the FA Cup in January 2010, a match in which he added a torn knee cartilage to his catalogue of injuries, he said: “It’s now the owners’ turn. They have to sign players so that this does not happen again. If we want to compete with Manchester United and Chelsea we need a much, much more complete squad. We need more genuinely first-class players and we can’t let our best players leave. It’s frustrating. We finished second last season: this season should have been a turning point for us, the chance for us to do something great. Manchester United sold Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo, while Chelsea didn’t sign anyone. But it hasn’t been”.

His solution one year later, having suffered through six months of Hodgson’s tactics, the protests, the club very nearly entering administration, the team languishing in the bottom half and already out of both domestic cups, playing under a caretaker boss who hadn’t managed in a decade, and with that biological clock spinning while his body fell apart with injury after injury, was simple: move to a club that consistently paid the cost to be the best and offered him the possibility of instant success. That was Chelsea, and it worked up to a point: he would eventually leave Stamford Bridge with Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup medals, but very little of that success had anything to do with him. Injuries had taken a terrible toll, and all Chelsea ultimately got for their £50m was a spent force. Liverpool, for their part, replaced Torres with Andy Carroll for £35m of that fee, who was just as unfortunate with injuries during a disappointing stay at the club as his predecessor in the number 9 shirt. It was a pair of deals that benefitted nobody, bar maybe Mike Ashley’s bank account.

It comes as no surprise now, as he prepares to retire from the game, to see him clarify that Chelsea “gave me what I always longed for, the titles” while describing his time at Liverpool as “a feeling I do not want to lose nor forget.” A feeling. The club may not always have delivered enough tangible rewards for our liking over the past three decades, but it continues to mainline soul-affirming intangibles straight into the vein. It’s to his credit that Torres knows and accepts what he gave up in order to secure those few pieces of gold that now hang in a cabinet gathering dust; in fact, I think he knew it even then. As he continued speaking about Liverpool in the weeks and months that followed, like a man trying to publicly justify his decision to himself, I was reminded of a Springsteen lyric that seemed to sum him up then and still holds true to this day: “God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of”. He’s still not sure, I don’t think, all these years later. And there’s a lesson in that for those who come next, be it Salah, Mané, Van Dijk, or someone new, tomorrow or 20 years from now: medals are important, but so is where you are when you win them. And there’s nowhere better to win them than Liverpool. Just ask Fernando.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7450 on: June 28, 2019, 11:26:36 pm »
Nice.

Offline Jacob Ian

• Kopite
« Reply #7451 on: June 29, 2019, 08:21:05 am »
absolutely superb :wellin

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7452 on: June 29, 2019, 10:43:15 am »
Wow E2K ... that was Nando Torres goal against Blackburn! Great read ... thank you!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7453 on: June 29, 2019, 09:03:15 pm »
Perfectly put.

As much as people would like to think we're the endgame, we most certainly were not at that time and Torres' decision was pretty much vindicated by winning CL and EL within 2 seasons of leaving us.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7454 on: June 29, 2019, 10:04:07 pm »
Someone should forward this to Torres. Lucas should be tech-savvy enough and might be able to translate if Torres isn't up to heavy reading in English.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7455 on: June 30, 2019, 02:17:03 pm »

Brilliant read that. Thank you.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7456 on: June 30, 2019, 08:18:04 pm »

Brilliant read that. Thank you.
It certainly was, as usual!
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #7457 on: July 2, 2019, 06:23:13 am »
(“After this, there are no more steps forward. This is the top level. The target for every footballer is to try and play at one of the top-level clubs in the world, and I can do it now”),

I think that statement manifested how Torres was a man trying to delude himself. We all say things in the heat of the moment out of spite, and Torres was clearly hurt that the club didn't make more of an effort to keep him. It was hollow bluster and he practically admitted later that winning those medals couldn't supplant the intangible feelings that he had at Liverpool.

It's the regret that usually lingers longer than the transient feelings of happiness.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7458 on: July 2, 2019, 07:24:21 pm »
I don't hate him or love him. We sold him at the right time. Too bad most of the money we spent on Carroll. If the money was well spent, like we did with Coutinho, nobody wouldn't care about Torres.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #7459 on: July 3, 2019, 10:57:29 pm »
Brilliant read that E2K, lots of memories, thanks.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #7460 on: July 4, 2019, 11:34:22 am »
12 years ago today, he signed for us... What a debut season he had for us
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7461 on: July 4, 2019, 07:32:50 pm »
He broke me, the handsome bastard  :'(
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7462 on: July 4, 2019, 10:10:45 pm »
12 years ago today, he signed for us... What a debut season he had for us

I'd seen him play for Spain and thought meh, then he scored that goal v Chelsea and I could see straight away why Rafa bought him.

Worst part of his time here for me was Newcastle at home, Pennant scored just before HT, I'd had a few in the Sandon and was busting for a piss, so legged it the bogs before the half time rush and, much to everyones amusement around me and a lot of piss taking, I missed this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u6-2v2TpGDg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u6-2v2TpGDg</a>
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7463 on: July 5, 2019, 08:41:27 am »
i forgot about that Pennant goal, it was mad.

The Torres goal reminded me of the famous Pele shimmy when he sent the keeper for a hot dog, only difference was Torres scored

https://zippy.gfycat.com/InsecureUnitedFly.webm

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #7464 on: July 13, 2019, 02:40:19 pm »
It's weird. We sang it so much. With so much passion. That whenever I see his name I feel like belting out his song!

"Fernaando Toorres...Libpool's number niiine!!!"

And because of that, he'll always be a Red in my eyes.
And our number 9 (at least nostalgically).

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7465 on: August 23, 2019, 09:06:13 am »
Last appearance of his career tonight. He could've been a legend. Instead, he's just another footballer.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7466 on: August 23, 2019, 10:53:28 am »
I think the thing about Torres is that he was our first truly great foreign striker. Before him, striker imports had been like Anelka, Diouf, Baros, Cissé, Morientes, all players who never fulfilled the potential when they came here. Fernando was something else though, he got into more than a player, because he provided the flair up front we were desperately lacking back then. That's why he turned into Salah and Firmino in one person for us. He was able to both dribble off teams like Mo, but also press high and being a truly hard centre forward to play out from the back against like Bobby. Case in point, Benfica away in 2010: one man down and Luisão and co try and play out of the back but struggle to get anywhere because Torres ran around like a mad rabbit in pursuit.

For me, he'll always be a truly special player. Imagine had he gotten Villa as striking partner in 2008 instead of Keane and Ngog? Imagine had he not done his thigh so many times? I don't think we've ever been able to miss the Champions League had either one of those two things been different.

Ultimately, I think Luis is our best ever attacker signed from abroad with Mo in second, but back when Torres was there he was the guy. The symbol. The talisman. That's what made him so great. He made others fear coming to Anfield again.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:55:01 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7467 on: August 23, 2019, 04:44:15 pm »
I know it makes sense for footballers to have one brief spell before they retire earning fortunes in the US/Middle East/Asia, but it’s such a shame that he has played his final game as a footballer for some team he’d probably not have heard of a couple of years ago in front of some fans he couldn’t give a shit about in Japan. He should have retired at Atletico, in the same way Gerrard should have retired here (a year later), and Xavi/Iniesta should have retired at Barcelona.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7468 on: August 23, 2019, 07:46:56 pm »
Last appearance of his career tonight. He could've been a legend. Instead, he's just another footballer.
Not for me.
What a player for Liverpool, it was a joy to go to anfield  in the tough days when he played for us .
Muchas gracias senor torres

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7469 on: August 24, 2019, 10:06:07 am »
Great player, great career.

No hard feelings anymore, time has been a healer
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7472 on: October 30, 2019, 10:06:07 am »
Great interview on the official site:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/features/369838-fernando-torres-interview-liverpool-career-memories-fans-steven-gerrard

This bit, oh man...

You’ve said so often Steven Gerrard was the best player you played with. What was the secret to your partnership on the pitch?

I was a big fan of Gerrard before I joined Liverpool. Everybody in football feels this way about Gerrard. So to have the chance to play with him was a big point for me to come to Liverpool as well. It was the first time I realised I needed something to complete my game – and Gerrard had everything that I needed. It was really easy to play with him. Sometimes you’re watching the game and predicting something that can happen, and you see something your teammates don’t see. But it would happen with him. He saw the same things I saw. So I just needed to run. When I saw the ball was going to finish at his feet, I started the run and I knew he would see the movement I was doing before looking at me. It was so easy. I really enjoyed that time, I miss it a lot.

Oh man. Nando leaving broke my heart like some women could only dream of doing but looking back we parted at the right time, the injuries robbed him of one of his greatest weapons, lightning speed but my god he was immense for us.

Time is a healer and I love him again, looking forward to seeing him in the legends match, hope he bangs one in!

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #7473 on: October 30, 2019, 10:33:47 am »
This bit, oh man...

Oh man. Nando leaving broke my heart like some women could only dream of doing but looking back we parted at the right time, the injuries robbed him of one of his greatest weapons, lightning speed but my god he was immense for us.

Time is a healer and I love him again, looking forward to seeing him in the legends match, hope he bangs one in!

;D

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7474 on: October 30, 2019, 12:42:50 pm »
I hate that we were deprived of that Torres-Suarez partnership. Even though Torres was in a bad patch, Suarez would’ve elevated his performances in a way and they’d bring out the best in each other the same way Mane and Salah currently do.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7475 on: October 30, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »
I wish he had stayed until the end of that season, it's not like he wouldn't have offers in the summer.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7476 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:18 am »

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7477 on: October 31, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »
Torres is forgiven for me.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #7478 on: November 1, 2019, 02:02:37 am »
The first player I fell in love with that broke my heart. All is forgiven now though. Can't wait to hear the kop bounce to his song again.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7479 on: November 2, 2019, 03:17:55 pm »
The first player I fell in love with that broke my heart. All is forgiven now though. Can't wait to hear the kop bounce to his song again.

Yes
You'll Never Walk Alone