Author Topic: RAWK Game of the Year 2022  (Read 1171 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
RAWK Game of the Year 2022
« on: December 29, 2022, 02:17:20 pm »
In the same vein as the long running RAWK album of the year thread, I thought I'd do one for game of the year.

I'm going to shamelessly steal jackh's format, but with smaller shortlists suggested (and other honourable mentions encouraged).

Voting will remain open for 10 days, closing at 23:59:59 GMT on Sunday 8th January.

The Rules

Games must have a 2022 UK release date.  Please check your release dates if you are unsure.
Please post both the game AND the console (PS4/PS5/Switch/PC/XBONE...). I may try to do separate results tables for different consoles.
You can list as many games as you like but only the top 5 will score points and they must be in order.
Collections/re-issues are frowned upon without sufficient justification. Re-issuing a game on a new console (eg a Wii U game re-issued on the Switch) is fine unless it's basically a port that hasn't been updated. I leave it up to your discretion.
Lists can be amended/changed right up to the closing date.

Scoring

People's top 5 games will score as inversely, ie 5-4-3-2-1

Discussion

Discussion to be encouraged. Feel free to post any magazine, newspaper, record store, or website Top 10's, Top 50's, etc, on here as they may help jog our memories.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: RAWK Game of the Year 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 02:40:14 pm »
My list!

1. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch). Was compelled to catch every last one of them, really enjoyed the new gameplay style and the worlds.
2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch). Never played a Kirby game before but was a lot of fun.
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredders Revenge (Switch). Nostalgia-evoking return to the TMNT beat-em-up games.
4. Astronite (Switch). Fun little metroidvania style game.
5. Ghostwire Tokyo (PS5). Took some time to get into but exploring Tokyo was always engaging.

Looks like a fair old slant to switch games this year, but in fairness most of the PS4/PS5 titles I played through were games from the last couple of years I'd not quite got round to yet, like Spiderman Miles Morales, Control, GOTG etc ;D

Honourable mention to Football Manager 2022 which was as compelling as ever. I wanted to give more love to Sports Story but in its current form it's still a bit of a buggy mess.

Games I've not got round to yet but am looking forward to... Return to Monkey Island, Stray, Tunic, GoW, Pokemon Violet, Sonic Frontiers.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 02:49:29 pm »
I’ll use this as a placeholder. Most of the games I’ve played are from last year and I’ve got the likes of Arceus, Plague Tale and Ragnarok waiting for when I’ve got a fair chunk of time to get into them.

So far all I can think of are Tinykin and Tunic. Although I did buy OlliOlli World yesterday, so I’m expecting that to go in there.
AHA!

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 03:31:41 pm »
Honestly I haven't played loads of new games this year but I have enjoyed the ones I've played.

God Of War Ragnarok
Stray
MW2
Horizon FW
F1 22

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 03:33:08 pm »
I’ll use this as a placeholder. Most of the games I’ve played are from last year and I’ve got the likes of Arceus, Plague Tale and Ragnarok waiting for when I’ve got a fair chunk of time to get into them.

So far all I can think of are Tinykin and Tunic. Although I did buy OlliOlli World yesterday, so I’m expecting that to go in there.

Yeah I was quite torn whether to include 2021 games too. Games are a bit different to albums in that firstly they take a lot longer to get through and secondly people often wait until the price has come down to buy and play them. But it's not really game of the year then ;D

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 03:39:46 pm »
Just thought of another, You Suck At Parking. Basically any smaller, day one releases on Game Pass are my bag, it seems.

I always say to myself at the end of a year/start of a year that I’ll clear my backlog and try and do a new game every week. Never happens.
AHA!

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 03:48:33 pm »
Just thought of another, You Suck At Parking. Basically any smaller, day one releases on Game Pass are my bag, it seems.

I always say to myself at the end of a year/start of a year that I’ll clear my backlog and try and do a new game every week. Never happens.

The lies we tell ourselves  ;D

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 04:01:28 pm »
Stray (PS4)
Olli Olli World
Splatoon 3
Kirby: Forgotten Lands (all Switch)

that's all I've got...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 04:10:03 pm »
Elden Ring for me. Only newly released game I played this year. Pinnacle of Fromsoft game design, rich in lore and exploration with super tight gameplay.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 06:37:48 pm »
1. Elden Ring
2. The Last of Us Part l
3. Stray

Those are the only 2022 games I’ve played this year (ran through a few older ones though).

Elden Ring wiped the rest of them out when it dropped though.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 04:15:35 pm »
God of War Ragnarok
Stray
TMNT Shredder's Revenge
COD MW2
NBA 2K22 -- mostly for the Jordan Challenge
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 1, 2023, 01:40:45 pm »
My list!

1. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch). Was compelled to catch every last one of them, really enjoyed the new gameplay style and the worlds.
2. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch). Never played a Kirby game before but was a lot of fun.
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredders Revenge (Switch). Nostalgia-evoking return to the TMNT beat-em-up games.
4. Astronite (Switch). Fun little metroidvania style game.
5. Ghostwire Tokyo (PS5). Took some time to get into but exploring Tokyo was always engaging.

Looks like a fair old slant to switch games this year, but in fairness most of the PS4/PS5 titles I played through were games from the last couple of years I'd not quite got round to yet, like Spiderman Miles Morales, Control, GOTG etc ;D

Honourable mention to Football Manager 2022 which was as compelling as ever. I wanted to give more love to Sports Story but in its current form it's still a bit of a buggy mess.

Games I've not got round to yet but am looking forward to... Return to Monkey Island, Stray, Tunic, GoW, Pokemon Violet, Sonic Frontiers.

I’ve just started on arceus, really engrossing game and taking me back to my childhood (as the last typical Pokémon game I played was probably Pokémon yellow).

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 2, 2023, 08:30:15 am »
God of War Ragnarok - stand out game
Horizon Forbidden West - stand out game
Elden Ring - stand out game
MW2

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 3, 2023, 08:39:45 am »
Tinykin
Vampire Survivors
High on Life

Out of the games I've played this year, most have been trying to clear my backlog but those 3 have stood out from this year's releases and have shot up my list. Recommend all 3 massively. All on Xbox, all on Gamepass as well

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 3, 2023, 03:11:46 pm »
Elden Ring
COD MW2

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 3, 2023, 04:28:54 pm »
God of War Ragnarok

Return to Monkey Island

Wish I had more time for gaming.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2023, 10:51:14 pm »
Any more for any more? ;D

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: January 7, 2023, 11:12:54 pm »
Elden Ring - PS5
Neon White - PC
Vampire Survivors - PC
Cult of the Lamb - PC
Choo-Choo Charles - PC

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 8, 2023, 08:41:23 am »
Elden Ring
Return To Monkey Island
Plague Tale Requiem
Immortality

Actually can't name five and Elden Ring was far ahead of the rest of the pack. This year should be better though, Dead Space, Res Evil 4, Starfield, Stalker 2.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 8, 2023, 08:48:28 am »
1. Horizon forbidden west
2. GOW Ragnarok
3. Elden ring

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2023, 09:41:26 am »
And with that, the race is run, and RAWK's GOTY 2022 is... Elden Ring.

Was a two horse race in the end with GOW Ragnarok, and the former may have benefitted from being out for much longer. I know I'm not going to have a chance to get into Ragnarok until later in 2023. But both great games and a good mix of titles in the top 10, which is as follows:

1st. Elden Ring (31)
2nd. God of War Ragnarok (24)
3rd. Stray (16)
4th. = COD Modern Warfare 2 (11)
4th. = Horizon Forbidden West (11)
6th. = Return to Monkey Island (8 )
6th. = Tinykin (8 )
8th. Vampire Survivors (7)
9th. = Kirby and the Forgotten Land (6)
9th. = Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredders Revenge (6)

Thanks for voting all, and looking forward to another year of gaming in 2023!
« Last Edit: January 9, 2023, 09:13:38 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2023, 09:51:37 am »
Deserved winner. Well done Jersey for sorting mate.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2023, 10:09:01 am »
Fair enough. I haven't played enough of others to form an opinion, but Elden RIng really is a brilliant game and well worth the title.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 06:17:04 am »
Too late to the party, but....I didn't play much new stuff in 2022 as there simply wasn't much that appealed to me.  I did get really immersed in - and enjoy the hell out of - Dying Light 2 though, which was easily the best experience I had out of the 'new stuff', so I'll go with that.