Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm  (Read 35390 times)

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm
« on: January 8, 2019, 09:38:14 pm »
Brighton vs Liverpool, Falmer Stadium, 12th January 2019, 3pm

I’d originally written an in-depth introduction blending the history of the town of Brighton with that of Brighton and Hove Albion itself, taking in their top-division highs, brink-of-extinction lows and their resurrection under new owners, along with some of our shared players (get well soon, Michael Robinson). But it’ll keep for a few months. After the last few days I don’t think most of us really feel like a history lesson. What we want is three points on the board and a few goals for good measure.

Pre-game form

Brighton have built on last year’s exploits and sit comfortably clear of the relegation zone despite being tipped by many (including me) to go down. They embody that footballing cliché, the well organised team that pulls together to become more than the sum of its parts, and sit in 13th coming into this game having conceded fewer goals than six teams above them (including two of the top six). Although they haven’t managed to beat any of the big teams, they managed a draw against Arsenal and have pulled off some good results against hotly tipped midtable sides like Wolves, Manchester United and West Ham.

They spent substantially during the summer and although £17m marquee signing Alireza Jahanbakhsh is struggling with injury, ex-Barcelona right back Martin Montoya and left back Bernado have grown into first team regulars. They’re also in a decent run of form, having drawn against Arsenal, beaten Everton and drawn away at West Ham in their last three league games, with Dutch forward Jürgen Locadia finally hitting form and chipping in with a couple of goals.

As for us, I don’t think anyone can look at that Premier League table – the one that says: Played 21, Won 17, Lost 1, Goals 49, Conceded 10 – and not consider this season a huge success so far. If the Manchester City result was deflating and the Wolves game proved a domestic cup run would have to wait another year, it isn’t hard to take solace from the fact we were millimetres and a dodgy refereeing decision away from getting a result in the first game, and a fingertip away from doing the same away at a full-strength top-half team, with what were mostly second stringers and youth players.

The worry of course is that in recent years this club has been a creature of momentum, pulling off strings of fantastic results before coming up short when the pressure is really on. Having said that, the signings of Van Dijk and Allisson have given us a steel at the back it feels like we haven’t had in years, and we still have the best front three in the division. I’m just about old enough to remember our last league title and this is the first time since then that we've had a rigid defence, exciting attack and a strong bench all at the same time. The only thing we need to cap it all off is a little bit of luck.

The Game

So what’s the game going to look like? This is the probable Brighton line up:

We won 1-0 against them at Anfield in August, a game we largely dominated despite playing well under par. They set up in a 4-5-1 with Glenn Murray as the lone striker and Anthony Knockaert and Solly March as wingers, and they did get a couple of chances.

Overall, Brighton have looked strong at the Amex. Earlier on in the season they generally favoured a 4-4-1-1 in the big home games when playmaker Pascal Groß was fit, and gave United a going over, scoring three times in the first half, but lost 2-1 to both Spurs and Chelsea. Against Arsenal and Everton however, they reverted to the 4-5-1 with some success and I don’t think they’ll change for this game.

We know what their strategy is going to be: defend tightly and try to steal a goal on the break. Interestingly, in all Brighton’s big games they’ve been easily second best in the first half but picked up steam noticeably toward the end, so ideally we should be looking to be close this one out early. Only three of the 10 outfield players above started against Bournemouth in the week and they still won 3-1 – they’re going to be up for this.

As for us, injuries have weakened the defence and there’s been a lot of rotation in midfield. It’s tricky to get an exact idea of the team and if anything changes in the next few days I’ll adjust accordingly, but right now I would bet on this:

Fabinho’s presence alongside VVD in defence will hopefully nullify any aerial threat somewhat but we’ll be relying on Henderson and Wijnaldum to block counter attacks and control the midfield with TAA and Robbo pushing up to help. The 4-2-3-1 has worked really well when we’ve been looking to penetrate the defences of weaker teams, and Brighton may well find it very tricky to cope with that kind of fluid front four.

Après-Football

For those travelling down, it’s worth mentioning that as well as great coffee, terrific burgers and miserable stretches of stones the locals call beaches, Brighton is home to one of the most fervent supporters groups outside of Liverpool, the Brighton Kop. The Amex stadium is outside of town near the village of Falmer, but The Anfield Wrap is doing a show at community venue the Brighthelm Centre in the middle of the city on Friday night, there’s going to be an away day party from 11am before the game at the Green Door Store (around the corner from Brighton station), and a charity gig at the Latest Music Bar after the game on the Saturday night. The pubs in the city are pretty good too.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 09:56:19 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2019, 09:40:03 pm »
We should play a weekend team
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2019, 09:42:28 pm »
I think the Brighton goalkeeper, Ryan is on Asian Cup duty ?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2019, 09:43:51 pm »
Excellent. They'll have to play goalie in and out.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2019, 09:45:43 pm »

Good call. I'll make the change.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2019, 09:47:20 pm »
Massive game as the next 19+ are all going to be. Nothing but the strongest team selected. Brighton are a decent side and have a good home record, find it funny how we may be going there with a midfielder playing centre half again, but as long as Van Dijk is back in I'll be relatively comfortable with Fabinho.

Other than that it really picks itself, Alisson back in, usual front 3, Wijnaldum of course. Wonder which one of the midfielders misses out should Fabinho be alongside Van Dijk. Will Keita get another go right off the back of the Wolves game? I think the fact it was a makeshift side didn't help him. Personally see Shaqiri starting however.

Also, I think Brighton's first choice keeper Ryan may be at the Asian cup for this, but I have no clue when it ends so I might be wrong. All in all I expect a touch game from them, but any win will do, then another week until Palace and a week and a bit til Leicester, both games we have to be looking to win at Anfield.

COME ON YOU FUCKIN REDMEN!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2019, 09:49:33 pm »
Good opening post, great to be able to concentrate on the rest of the season, every single one of those games will be like a cup final. If we continue to win our games in the second half of the season like we did in the first part, we could well have a nice shiny trophy at the end of the season. Just win Reds, any way you can.  :scarf
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2019, 09:52:18 pm »
Is it too much to expect a full-on pasting? Because I am. Need to get City off their high horses. The more we keep winning, the more they'll get frustrated at not being able to catch us. Same goes for Spurs, if they're even in a title race
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 09:54:01 pm by King.Keita »

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 8, 2019, 09:52:34 pm »
This game cant really come soon enough for me.
Wonder if Milner will play, he hasn't looked right the last 2 games, but last night is hard to judge him by he seemed to try to cover for the young lads a lot.
I think he starts, the pressure will be on here with everyone waiting for us to slip up, he's the very man you want in your team when that's the case

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2019, 09:57:39 pm »
Cheers for the OP. Good analysis.

For all this talk of losing 'momentum' and being 'deflated' after the City match, I am expecting us to smash em. I think our players are fortunately made of a lot more mettle then some of our brown-knickered fans.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2019, 09:58:30 pm »
A game we really have to win.

I think it’ll be a draw tho.

1-1

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2019, 10:00:51 pm »

1-1

I'm not being funny but are you ever hopeful about anything?

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2019, 10:01:00 pm »
We're going to twat them.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 8, 2019, 10:01:45 pm »

City winning the league I suspect.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2019, 10:04:09 pm »
personally happy Lovren isn’t fit, he’s a liability in my eyes and always delivers

attack their jugular, Milner needs a rest, #passtheballbackHenderson needs a reality check, a midfield trio to provide the service for the attacking trio is the order of the day, Gino, Shaqiri, Keita for me

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 8, 2019, 10:04:53 pm »

Who cares about City, we are the team that matters here. Back to just concentrating on ourselves, do the business there is nothing they can do about it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16 on: January 8, 2019, 10:05:57 pm »

You’d have to be either cross eyed or a redneck to want that  ::)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 8, 2019, 10:08:36 pm »
Please just get back to winning again so all the unbelievers can crawl back under their stones.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 8, 2019, 10:09:16 pm »

He's just pissed that he got the a and e the wrong way around when trying to spell Cheese Head backwards.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 8, 2019, 10:09:29 pm »
Time to react. Agree with the team posted in the op. Let's get after these beach based Fatboy slim c*nts.

Up the reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #20 on: January 8, 2019, 10:09:58 pm »
Ok back to reality. We need to forget about the last week and come out fighting. Our weakness may be the right of our defence so it may be important that our midfield press hard. At the other end I think Shaq will be the difference with his probing passes.

However we may leave him on the bench until later and play the likes of Milner in midfield. It's a pity that Lovren was injured as I'd prefer to see Fabinho in midfield.

Time for total concentration, accurate passing, good pressing and clinical finishing. I'd like to see this game practically over by half time.
#JFT97

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #21 on: January 8, 2019, 10:13:56 pm »
personally happy Lovren isn’t fit, he’s a liability in my eyes and always delivers

Like the fact that we won 7 out of 9 games that he played in this year in the league with 5 goals conceded. That's up there with the best in the league this season. He may not be everyone's favourite player but look at the facts first especially the recent ones.
#JFT97

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 8, 2019, 10:14:06 pm »
Ok back to reality. We need to forget about the last week and come out fighting. Our weakness may be the right of our defence so it may be important that our midfield press hard. At the other end I think Shaq will be the difference with his probing passes.

However we may leave him on the bench until later and play the likes of Milner in midfield. It's a pity that Lovren was injured as I'd prefer to see Fabinho in midfield.

Time for total concentration, accurate passing, good pressing and clinical finishing. I'd like to see this game practically over by half time.

Our games this month are well spaced out, a week before Crystal Palace and then ten days before we meet Leicester on the 30th January. Probably the players will go abroad for a training camp maybe. Plenty of time for rest and preparation for the next game.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #23 on: January 8, 2019, 10:17:12 pm »

1-1

You registered yesterday and have been a brat since, are you ever confident?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 8, 2019, 10:19:33 pm »

Let's not make this thread about him, but about the mighty Reds instead.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25 on: January 8, 2019, 10:20:02 pm »

129 posts of misery, despondency and gloom.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 8, 2019, 10:21:27 pm »
129 posts since yesterday :o must be a record

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #27 on: January 8, 2019, 10:22:17 pm »
Let's not make this thread about him, but about the mighty Reds instead.

Wise words indeed! I think we will definitely bounce back after the City game, the boys and Klopp will be ready and well prepared. Up the reds!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 8, 2019, 10:27:59 pm »

attack their jugular, Milner needs a rest, #passtheballbackHenderson needs a reality check, a midfield trio to provide the service for the attacking trio is the order of the day, Gino, Shaqiri, Keita for me

Dear god. You're happy that our rock solid partnership of Van Djik and Lovren, and it has been you cant deny it, is being broken up for a huge game ?  Right, that makes sense.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 8, 2019, 10:29:28 pm »

1-1

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #30 on: January 8, 2019, 10:30:53 pm »

1-1

Go away you boring sod.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 8, 2019, 10:36:32 pm »
Sheer mate, excellent work with the OP, cheers, refreshing after the recent meffness going around here.

Three points are imperative, regardless of performance and I am sure the players will be chomping at the bit to go out and bounce back from the disappointment in the last several days.

Hopefully whatever Klopp was alluding to in regards to Van Dijk's issue, he's ready to go by Saturday and in any case would be partnered with Fabinho.  [Otherwise Fabinho and Wijnaldum imo would be the two nailed on starters in the middle of the park].

Brighton are a decent side, they got a good manager, they won't be afraid to have a go and perhaps they'll target Fabinho at the back knowing our situation beforehand.

The front three pick's itself, the question comes down in midfield and who plays along with Wijnaldum. Does Henderson make it, seeing as he's had an injury issue? I am not expecting Lallana to start but perhaps he's fit enough to make the bench. Do we go with a double pivot with Wijnaldum Henderson, or Wijnaldum Keita, to incorporate Shaqiri in the side with Firmino dropping further back in midfield? Do we go with a 3 man midfield in terms of what we've done last season where Keita for instance is given Ox's role and we play with Wijnaldum and Milner/Henderson? In any case I wouldn't want Milner in a double pivot he's never been good for us in a traditional 2 man midfield.

I would give Keita another ago from the start, help him build his confidence and his ability to drive and dribble past players play in tight spaces could be pivotal in a game like this.

Becker

Trent
Fabinho
Van Dijk
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Keita

Shaqiri
Firmino
Mane

Salah

That's what I would go with but perhaps it will be too open in midfield. If Hendo is fit, then hopefully it's Henderson,Wijnaldum and Keita, as I really don't like the balance of Henderson and Wijnaldum playing in a double pivot.

Any win will do, this game has all the characteristics of a banana skin, let's get back on track in the new year with a win

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #32 on: January 8, 2019, 10:39:56 pm »
Need to get back to winning ways after the recent defeats - a lot of pressure on us to deliver.

I think we will but it will be close. 
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #33 on: January 8, 2019, 10:43:27 pm »

1-1
Take your negativity and shove it, sideways.

If there was ever a time to ditch defeatist attitudes like yours it’s right now.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 8, 2019, 10:44:30 pm »
Excellent, back to league action. Lets get back to it Reds.

Team probably picks itself here and I think the OP has nailed it (which by the way was an excellent read, cheers).

Tricky assignment but confident we'll get it done and open up a 7 point lead again for 48 hours.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #35 on: January 8, 2019, 10:47:59 pm »
Excellent OP.

Time to get back into a winning routine.

I'd go with: Alisson - Trent/Fabinho/VVD/Robertson - Henderson/Wijnaldum/Keita - Mane/Salah/Firmino.

And I'd like to see Hoever on the bench.

No reason not to be confident.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 8, 2019, 10:50:07 pm »
Becker

Trent
Fabinho
Van Dijk
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Keita

Shaqiri
Firmino
Mane

Salah
I agree with that.  The team largely picks itself assuming they're all fit.  Hendo for Keita would be the only change I could see.

Brighton have a pretty good home record and made us work for the points earlier this season.  I can't see us not scoring 2-3 though, just as I can't see us conceding more than 1!

With the scheduling of the games it's a great chance to extend the lead to 7 points again.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 8, 2019, 10:50:26 pm »
Team largely picks itself. My only doubt would be between Shaqiri and Keita. Shaq obviously offers more at the minute, but we need Keita to find rhythm, confidence and form, and for that he'll need a run in the starting 11. Playing with a solid, reliable midfield duo behind him and having the  front three around him could boost his confidence and push him to trying and impose himself in the game.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 8, 2019, 11:02:42 pm »
Thanks for the op mate.

Really need to get back to winning ways, build up that head of steam. We have an advantage in the next two months in that we don’t have as many games as City or Spurs, hopefully that is something we can exploit. Good bit of rest for the likes of Robbo, Gini and VVD.

Alisson
Trent
VVD
Fab
Robbo
Gini
Hendo
Keita
Mo
Bobby
Mane
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #39 on: January 8, 2019, 11:11:14 pm »
We play like we did against City, they get spanked. I have no worries about this one. The boys should be hungry.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?