Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 583904 times)

Offline Wholey

• Sportsdaq King
  • Legacy Fan
  • Choo Choo!
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2004, 11:34:26 pm »
Currently reading The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum.
If you're reading this signature as a result of reading a post of mine in 'The Bets Thread', then please ignore the aforementioned post as I'm likely to be spouting bollocks and if you follow me, you'll lose money. Thank You.

Offline Sam

• Has eyes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2004, 11:36:31 pm »

There's no way you read Stephen Hawking when you can't even get Bill Bryson's book title right! :P

Anyone read Bushwhacked? Top book that!

Fool! If I thought for even a moment you were serious I'd correct you.  ;D

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2004, 12:32:41 am »
The Beano's 2004 Annual

Well done Eric,which Janet and John  book does that come after. :P
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2004, 11:15:26 am »
Just finished reading Chris Eubanks book, currently reading Val McLean's book- Married to the Guv'nor.

Think her book is good like, interesting to see how people have slagged Lenny off since hes died. Sad really.

:wave

Have you also read Lennie's book Mirra?  I thought it was excellent.   

I've just finished "Trace" by Patricia Cornwell.  Brilliant - as usual.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2004, 11:20:54 am »
Any chance of people providing a snippet of what these books are about so we can see if they would potentially tickle our fancies?

PS: The Lenny book by his missus, can someone tell me the gist of that one if you dont mind. Ta.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2004, 11:36:50 am »
Last two completed books were Clubland by Kevin Sampson, and the Bill Bryson book mentioned above, both very good.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2004, 12:25:42 pm »
Any chance of people providing a snippet of what these books are about so we can see if they would potentially tickle our fancies?

PS: The Lenny book by his missus, can someone tell me the gist of that one if you dont mind. Ta.

Can't  help you with hers as I've not got round to reading it yet, but I would really recommed you try Lennie's book "The Guv'nor" first and then read hers.  It is obviously the story of Lennie's life from his very hard childhood, up to shortly before he died.  It is a fascinating insight into the lifestyle that Lennie lived and the stories of his various fights together with the other things he got into to "put steam on the table" as he put it.  Its obvious he loved his wife and children very much.  Its a few years since I read it, and if you want to know more I'll try and find it. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Emmy

• Anyone got a crate for sale?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2004, 12:32:13 pm »
Crown of Lights - Phil Rickman
It would be rude not to...

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2004, 12:40:47 pm »

Have you also read Lennie's book Mirra? I thought it was excellent.

I read Lenny's book straight after Pretty Boy  by Roy Shaw,who was one of his main rivals at the time and the books contradict each at times.Like all autobiographies,it's all about what you are prepared to believe is true.

Take for instance Dave Courtney's "Stop the Ride I want to get off" which is the biggest pile of bullshit this side of bullshit city.

He said he murdered 2 drug dealers in Holland,yet the police or anyone else knew nowt about them or the fact they were missing.
Said he's done time,but no-one in those circles remember spending time with him in prison.
And forgot to tell everyone that he was a police informer.
He's a celebrity "gangster" or just a bullshitter to most.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2004, 12:50:34 pm »
The name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
RTK

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2004, 12:51:56 pm »
Cheers Maggie, i'll save you the hassle though and try and get me hands on a copy shortly.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2004, 12:53:46 pm »
Never read Pretty Boy keithcun, I'll keep a lookout for a copy.

As to Dave Courtney, - a total phoney.  A friend of mine was very much a Kray boy.  Did his time.  I've only once read a very fleeting reference to his name.   He's never spoken to outsiders despite numerous offers and never will.  He considers Dave Courtney a joke.  Courtney was never a "face".  He was very low grade and in fact quite beneath notice.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2004, 01:09:15 pm »
Recently finished "Dead Air" by Iain Banks.  By far the most enjoyable novel I have read in years and luckily, the fella has written many many more.  ;)
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2004, 01:26:33 pm »
Just re-read "Le Livre de Promethea" by Helene Cixous. Had to read it at university, years ago, and had forgotten most of it. Excellent read, although I don't know if it's available in English.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2004, 01:32:50 pm »
Reading George Orwell's "1984" at the mo.
Just finished Douglas Coupland's - "Girlfriend In A Coma"
Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2004, 01:53:29 pm »
For anyone who's interested,I've copied a sysnopsis or review of most of the books mentioned to save people searching themselves.

Hope they help. :wave

The Face - Dean Koontz

The Face mixes both elements of psychological and supernatural terror in an unusual and disturbing way. "The Face" is a Hollywood superstar who's never at home. For his lonely son Fric, that's the keynote of life: a father who gives him everything, including the run of a fabulous Bel Air mansion (the Palazzo Rospo) in a large estate, but no personal affection. A series of cryptic gifts arrive, suggesting a stalker's threat to the actor, but in fact the person in danger is 10-year-old Fric.
The house security boss, former LAPD cop Ethan Truman, isn't that worried. The Face is away as usual and the Palazzo's defences are spectacular. What does worry him is that after tracking down the middleman who delivered one of those sinister parcels, Ethan is killed--twice. But yet he lives, as though time has been rewound; and he keeps glimpsing an old friend who is very definitely dead.

Koontz's villain is a memorably unpleasant creation; thanks to wealth, contacts and horrible ingenuity, this bad guy is well-equipped to crack the Palazzo defences, kill Ethan and grab Fric. Gradually his inhuman scheme is revealed.

Meanwhile the supernatural element is working on the other side, though shackled by rules that forbid direct action. Fric gets disquieting phone calls warning that someone or something called Moloch, devourer of children, is coming and that the boy had better find a safe hiding place. Chillingly, the caller always knows exactly where Fric is and what he's doing. And these messages somehow don't register on the Palazzo's elaborate logging system.

Appalling rain drenches Los Angeles as Moloch's day approaches; Fric's terror grows, Ethan and a friend who's still in the LAPD follow hopeless leads and even the dead begin to despair of thwarting a psychopath who holds all the high cards. No plan, however, quite survives contact with reality. The finale offers extreme violence and electrifying twists, and delivers satisfaction

Runaway Jury - John Grisham

A major film tie-in to the movie based on John Grisham's bestseller. Every jury has a leader and the verdict belongs to him. In Biloxi, Mississippi, a landmark trial with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake begins routinely, then swerves mysteriously off course. The jury is behaving strangely, and at least one juror is convinced he's being watched. Soon they have to be sequestered. Then a tip from an anonymous young woman suggests she is able to predict the juror's increasingly odd behaviour. Is the jury somehow being manipulated, or even controlled? And, more importantly, why?

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time: Adult Edition - Mark Haddon

The title The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (or the curious incident of the dog in the night-time as it appears within the book) is an appropriate one for Mark Haddon's ingenious novel both because of its reference to that most obsessive and fact-obsessed of detectives, Sherlock Holmes, and because its lower-case letters indicate something important about its narrator.
Christopher is an intelligent youth who lives in the functional hinterland of autism--every day is an investigation for him because of all the aspects of human life that he does not quite get. When the dog next door is killed with a garden fork, Christopher becomes quietly persistent in his desire to find out what has happened and tugs away at the world around him until a lot of secrets unravel messily.

Haddon makes an intelligent stab at how it feels to, for example, not know how to read the faces of the people around you, to be perpetually spooked by certain colours and certain levels of noise, to hate being touched to the point of violent reaction. Life is difficult for the difficult and prickly Christopher in ways that he only partly understands; this avoids most of the obvious pitfalls of novels about disability because it demands that we respect--perhaps admire--him rather than pity him

Goodfellas - Nicholas Pileggi

Welcome to the world of New York organised crime; of heists, extortion, family, gambling, molls and casual violence. This is the book that inspired the film, written by Nicholas Pileggi in 1985 and originally entitled Wiseguy. Martin Scorsese read it, contacted Pileggi who apparently "had been waiting for this phone call all my life", and between them they wrote the screenplay for the hugely popular 1990 movie. The resulting blend of snappy dialogue, snappier editing and superb ensemble acting tended to overshadow Scorsese's dubious ambivalence towards violence, but the audience was blown away more spectacularly than one of Tommy De Vito's victims.
Pileggi's book was written with Henry Hill, whose life it describes. The narrative switches between Pileggi, Hill, and Hill's wife Karen, all delivered with the smooth action of a well-polished Magnum. It proves utterly compelling, breathlessly serving up an action-fuelled life of criminal excess with Henry starting as an aspirant 12-year-old errand runner ("To be a wiseguy was better than being president of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world"), and progressing to such a status within the Mob that when he is finally nailed he turns Federal witness to implicate his former cronies, a move that represents his only chance to save his family's necks. The irony for Hill is that his fictionalised life story has been seen by millions, but he cannot tell anyone without jeopardising his new identity, which means he gets "to live the rest of my life as a shnook". As a source the book runs very close to the film, and someone who know the film will find it hard not to picture Scorseses's stylised realisation as they read, while those who don't will discover a grittily related, authentically grim amorality tale of a life shot through with brutality and survivalist scheming that stands on its own without the Big Screen treatment. Surprisingly bleak

The Boys from the Mersey - Nicky Allt

Nicky Allt was a penniless teenager from the tough Kirkby district of Liverpool who wanted something more, when no one would employ him. In the late seventies that meant clothes, music and Liverpool FC. He joined a young scallywag crew who dressed different, spoke different and met at the Anfield Road End. Their travels would become legend as the Reds conquered Europe. The Road Enders were a bunch of blaggers and fighters to whom every No Entry sign was a challenge and every price tag a joke. They criss-crossed the continent, causing havoc in their wake - and had a whale of a time.

Tell No One - Harlan Coben

Elizabeth was taken from David one night, tortured, killed and abandoned by the serial murderer known as KillRoy; he was left for dead. Eight years later, he gets an e-mail which leads him to a camera feed, and sees her standing on a street corner looking at him. And suddenly he is on the run, accused of her murder and of others, dependent on the whim of a violent pusher whose child's life he saved. Harlan Coben's new thriller Tell No One is a terrifying kinetic novel of abuse of power, false accusation and the things that go wrong with the most careful of schemes. David Beck is a memorable character--a dedicated doctor whose mourning for his wife has gradually become itself a sort of paralysis, but who has a surprising resilience under stress; he has not got much going for him in the terrible situations in which he finds himself, but he makes ingenious use of what he has got. This is an intelligent thriller in which we get to watch suspect, police and some very unpleasant heavies chase each other around in impressively convoluted circles. Coben is one of the best multiple-bluffers in the business.

Married to the Guv'nor - Peter Gerrard, Valerie McLean

It's been three years since "The Guv'nor" was published, turning bareknuckle fighter Lenny McLean into an unlikely cult hero. Lenny died shortly after his autobiography came out, devastating his wife, Valerie. In this text, Valerie reveals what it was like to be married to this formidable man. Lenny always said he had enough stories from his life to fill another book - now Valerie has done this. They started courting when she was eighteen, in the face of opposition from her family who knew Lenny's reputation as a tearaway. Her life from the point onwards was never dull, as she found herself dealing with the unpredictable Lenny, making cups of tea for a Mafia don, and coping with the aftermath of the shooting of her husband, who was hit in the back outside their front door.

Something Rotten - Jasper Fforde

Thursday Next, Head of JurisFiction and ex-SpecOps agent, returns to her native Swindon accompanied by a child of two, a pair of dodos and Hamlet, who is on a fact-finding mission in the real world. Thursday has been despatched to capture escaped Fictioneer Yorrick Kaine but even so, now seems as good a time as any to retrieve her husband Landen from his state of eradication at the hands of the Chronoguard.
It’s not going to be easy. Thursday’s former colleagues at the department of Literary Detectives want her to investigate a spate of cloned Shakespeares, the Goliath Corporation are planning to switch to a new Faith based corporate management system and the Neanderthals feel she might be the Chosen One who will lead them to genetic self-determination.

With help from Hamlet, her uncle and time-travelling father, Thursday faces the toughest adventure of her career. Where is the missing President-for-life George Formby? Why is it imperative for the Swindon Mallets to win the World Croquet League final? And why is it so difficult to find reliable childcare?

Still Life with Woodpecker - Tom Robbins

Still Life with Woodpecker is sort of a love story that takes place inside a pack of Camel cigarettes. It reveals the purpose of the moon, explains the difference between criminals and outlaws, examines the conflict between social activism and romantic individualism, and paints a portrait of contemporary society that includes powerful Arabs, exiled royalty, and pregnant cheerleaders. It also deals with the problem of redheads.

Bag of Bones - Stephen King

When Mike Noonan's wife dies, he is drawn to their summer home in the town of Sara Laughs. He finds the town in the grip of millionaire Max Devore, who is hell-bent on getting custody of his deceased son's child. Kyra and her mother turn to Mike for help, but there are sinister forces in their way.

Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby

This book is amazingly intuitive. Nick Hornby has been there and done that so far as genuine football supporting goes. He assesses in a surprisingly rational way (for one so irrational at times) both the benefits and the destructive nature of obsession. Although this book is based around the games of Arsenal (and a brief flirtation with Cambridge United) it says a lot more about human nature (and Charlie George's haircuts) than the tactics of George Graham! This book could save thousands of people from heartache if it was handed out to people entering relationships where only one partner is football obsessed! If you have a partner who baffles you with their shouts and screams and moods every Saturday afternoon between August and May - this book will help you to understand that they are the ones who need help - you will learn to pity and support them in their affliction. If you are one of those people who shout and scream and have moods every Saturday afternoon between August and May - you will learn that you are not alone.

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Robert Langdon, Harvard Professor of symbology, receives an urgent late-night call while in Paris: the curator of the Louvre has been murdered. Alongside the body is a series of baffling ciphers. Langdon and a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, are stunned to find a trail that leads to the works of Da Vinci - and further. The curator, part of a secret society named the Priory of Sion, may have sacrificed his life to keep secret the location of a vastly important religious relic hidden for centuries. It appears that the clandestine Vatican-sanctioned Catholic sect Opus Dei has now made its move. Unless Landon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine code and quickly assemble the pieces of the puzzle, the Priory's secret - and a stunning historical truth - will be lost forever.

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Bill Bryson describes himself as a reluctant traveller: but even when he stays safely in his own study at home, he can't contain his curiosity about the world around him. A Short History of Nearly Everything is his quest to find out everything that has happened from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization - how we got from there, being nothing at all, to here, being us. Bill Bryson's challenge is to take subjects that normally bore the pants off most of us, like geology, chemistry and particle physics, and see if there isn't some way to render them comprehensible to people who have never thought they could be interested in science. It's not so much about what we know, as about how we know what we know. How do we know what is in the centre of the Earth, or what a black hole is, or where the continents were 600 million years ago? How did anyone ever figure these things out? On his travels through time and space, he encounters a splendid collection of astonishingly eccentric, competitive, obsessive and foolish scientists, like the painfully shy Henry Cavendish who worked out many conundrums like how much the Earth weighed, but never bothered to tell anybody about many of his findings. In the company of such extraordinary people, Bill Bryson takes us with him on the ultimate eye-opening journey, and reveals the world in a way most of us have never seen it before.

Mccarthy's Bar - Pete Mccarthy

Pete McCarthy's tale of his hilarious trip around Ireland has gained thousands of fans all over the world.
Pete was born in Warrington to an Irish mother and an English father and spent happy summer holidays in Cork. Years later, reflecting on the many places he has visited as a travel broadcaster, Pete admits that he feels more at home in Ireland than anywhere. To find out whether this is due to rose-coloured spectacles or to a deeper tie with the country of his ancestors, Pete sets off on a trip around Ireland and discovers that it has changed in surprising ways. Firstly obeying the rule 'never pass a pub with your name on it', he encounters McCarthy's bars up and down the land, and meets English hippies, German musicians, married priests and many others. A funny, affectionate look at one of the most popular countries in the world.

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

In her first novel, award-winning Indian screenwriter Arundhati Roy conjures a whoosh of wordplay that rises from the pages like a brilliant jazz improvisation. The God of Small Things is nominally the story of young twins Rahel and Estha and the rest of their family, but the book feels like a million stories spinning out indefinitely; it is the product of a genius child-mind that takes everything in and transforms it in an alchemy of poetry. The God of Small Things is at once exotic and familiar to the Western reader, written in an English that's completely new and invigorated by the Asian Indian influences of culture and language.

Mr. Nice - Howard Marks 

What an extraordinary fellow Howard Marks is. His autobiography takes him from his South Wales childhood and Oxford University education through his life dealing marijuana and the enormous mythology that accrued around what the tabloids called "the English Toff Drugs King of the World". This book is called Mr Nice after one of the many aliases Marks's life as a merchant of pot obliged him to assume, but it describes him perfectly too: the epitome of British niceness, the nicest international criminal you could hope to meet. It's not hard to see why this has become a cult book--Marks is a brilliant version of a mate down the pub, telling you the gobsmacking stories of his many adventured life. The writing is direct and the narrative will detain you as comprehensively as Marks himself was detained for seven years at Terre Haut Penitentiary, Indiana. He was released the same day as Mike Tyson. "I had," he observes mildly, "been continuously in prison for the last six-and-a-half years for transporting beneficial herbs from one place to another, while he had done three years for rape." Truly there is no justice; but there are eye-popping adventures, hilarious touches and a thorough-going wisdom in this excellent book.

Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

In this memoir, Frank McCourt looks back with sadness and affection at his first 18 years growing up in New York and Ireland. The book combines stories of hunger, poverty and social deprivation with a celebration of the human spirit, laughter and human kindness.

Shankhill Butchers: A Case Study of Mass Murder - Martin Dillon

This book by the author of "Rogue Warrior of the SAS", retells the story of a series of murders by the Ulster Volunteer Force in N. Ireland in the 1970s. When convicted, the killers received over 2000 years in jail, the longest sentences ever given in a single trial in British legal history.

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

Rob is a music junkie who owns record shop in Islington. Unable to make his relationship with Laura work, he seeks refuge in the company of the two hopeless guys, and in a one night stand, only to find that life with Laura has its unexpected attractions.

The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart

The cult classic that can still change your life... Let the dice decide! This is the philosophy that changes the life of bored psychiatrist Luke Rhinehart -- and in some ways changes the world as well. Because once you hand over your life to the dice, anything can happen. Entertaining, humorous, scary, shocking, subversive, The Dice Man is one of the cult bestsellers of our time.

Live from Death Row - Mumia Abu- Jamal

If you are uncertain whether this book is worth the read, let me assure you it is. If you are unsure whether this book is for you, that depends. Where the writing is beautifully crafted - smooth poetic alliteration in an articulate African-American tongue belies Abu Jamal's history as a well-respected professional journalist - the content is challenging and graphic. The book is split into three parts. The first details disturbing accounts of prison brutality and oppression, the second is an outlet for Abu Jamal's opinions on the current affairs of the time and the prison administration as a whole, giving an analysis that is at once logical and emotive, and the third part follows Mumia Abu Jamal's life and life influences. The third part proves a most effective and moving climax for the book. The first section details individual cases of injustice, the second looks at injustice in the system as a whole but the book ends on the human face of a man who has spent more than 20 years of his life in a concrete hole waiting to die. The most surprising thing for me was the sympathy and interest it incurred in me for the 'Black Power' type movements. An ex-Black Panther Party member, Mumia Abu Jamal writes frankly his respect for Huey P. Newton as a political leader but also his warm devotion to him as a father-figure. The fear I once felt about those tainted by association with labels like 'extremists' and 'militants' thankfully dissipated with my ignorance. This is a book for anyone interested in race in America, politics within the African-American community or quality writing by gifted man with a unique perspective

Holocaust Theology: A Reader - Dan Cohn-Sherbok

Where was God when six million died? Over the last few decades this question has haunted both Jewish and Christian theologians. If God is all-good and all-powerful, how could he have permitted the Holocaust to take place? This reader provides a panoramic survey of the responses of over one hundred leading Jewish and Christian Holocaust thinkers. Beginning with the religious challenge of the Holocaust, the collection explores a wide range of theodices which seek to reconcile God's ways with the existence of evil. In addition, the book addresses perplexing questions regarding Christian responsibility and culpability during the Nazi era. Designed for general readers and students, each reading is divided into topics and is followed by a series of questions. For anyone who is troubled by the religious implications of the tragedy of the Holocaust, this collection of Holocaust theology provides a basis for discussion and debate.

Digital Fortress - Dan Brown

When the NSA's invincible code-breaking machine - encounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls in its head cryptographer, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power. The NSA is being held hostage... not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it will cripple U.S. intelligence.

The Universe in a Nutshell - Stephen William Hawking

The Universe in a Nutshell attempts to address the relative difficulty of Hawking's first foray into popular science, A Brief History of Time. While this sold in its millions, few readers got past the first few chapters. Helpfully, this new work is full of beautifully prepared colour illustrations and decorations, and has a "tree-like" structure, so that readers can skip from chapter to chapter without losing the thread.
In 200 highly illustrated pages, Hawking is pushing the frontiers of popular physics beyond relativity and quantum theory, past superstring theory and imaginary time, into a dizzying new world of M-theory and branes. It's a colossal venture--one Hawking is uniquely qualified to undertake--but it is crammed into far too small a space. When you consider the other rather good tomes being written on the nature of consciousness these days, the decision to limit The Universe in a Nutshell to the dictates of publishing rather than to the natural parameters of the material is an unfortunate one.

Worse, Hawking tries to paper over the complexity of his field. He rushes over the very concepts he should be helping us understand, only to belabour simple ideas, often by means of flip Star Trek metaphors. Also unfortunately, the illustrations--by turns trivial and opaque--mirror the faults of the text. The author's name alone will guarantee sales, but the book we long for--the long, ruminative, poetic celebration of Hawking's world--seems as far away as ever.

A Brief History of Time - Stephen William Hawking

A Brief History of Time is a truly magnificent piece of work detailing all of the major points about the cosmos.This book hands over everything that the budding scientist requires,despite its rather "Brief" title.Most astrophysics books show the mathematical side of things which cannot be understood by the average person.Instead Hawking has chosen the more understandable side of it.He explains things in great detail without using any tricky equations or any mathematical heeba-joo. This book just shows the great mind which Hawkings has.For this he is sometimes not given the appreciation he deserves.This to me is appaling as he is truly the greatest since Einstien.This can be understood by the work he has done to make "A Brief History of Time " the succes it is.I would guarentee this book to anyone who is interested in Science or anyone who is simply interested in a good read.

Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America - Molly Ivins, Lou Dubose

Following on from the success of their prophetic book Shrub, Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose well-researched and comprehensive expose of the effects of the George 'GeeDubya' Bush presidency is as heartfelt as it is clinical and as damning as it is revealing.

Issue by issue - be it healthcare, education, the environment and of course, foreign policy - Ivins lays bare the damage being wrought by multi-billion dollar tax cuts paid for by special interest business and religious groups.

By placing real people at the heart of the book - from the Vietnam veteran who worked day in day out only to see millionaire Bush-buddy Ken Lay wipe out his Enron pension, to the tragic story of how Bush's judicial friends and appointees stalled a quadriplegic child's compensation from Ford for years until he died - Ivins paints a sickening portrait of who really runs America.

Ivins and Dubose compliment the book also with a series of steps they believe can help bring democracy back to where it belongs, with the people.

Bushwhacked is not just another Bush-basher in the vein of Michael Moore or Al Franken. It is though, the comprehensive manual on everything that's wrong with the Geedubya administration.

The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum - Heinrich Boll

Katharina Blum is a quiet, reserved divorcee who lives alone. She values her privacy. One night she goes to a party and falls in love. Nothing wrong with that you might think - but Katharina is in Cologne in 1974, and is about to understand fully what that Kafka bloke was on about.
Henrich Boll's novella is an icy, brilliant satire without any humour whatsoever. Every single word - even in translation - is sharp as a scalpel; every page will chill you to the bone. Boll simply reports what actually went on in 1970s Germany: the midnight arrests, the McCarthyite persecution of "terrorists" and their "sympathisers", the callous bureaucracy that continues for its own sake and - finally - the truly satanic alliance between the police and the tabloid Press who, even more than their British cousins - care nothing about the truth.
What's even scarier than the story, however, is the fact that this isn't one. There were thousands of Katharinas in 1970s Germany; many thousands of innocent people destroyed by lies and innuendo. You will never forget this book and you'll never ever cease asking yourself the following question: How on earth could this happen in a country that is, ostensibly, a democracy?
And with the way things are going, Americans may find themselves asking that question before very long.

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

I happened to be lucky enough to read this excellent piece of work whist Kubrick’s film was still under its self-imposed ban. This meant that whilst discovering the book for the first time, my mind was free to create it’s own images and scenarios that spring from the page in a manner, not too dissimilar, to the characters featured within. After the film had been re-released I went back to the book and found that my way of seeing the action was now tainted; I was now viewing the resulting fisticuffs between Alex and Billy Boy complete with a Rossini soundtrack... I was picturing the ultra-violence with a methodical restraint, whilst almost pining for the inclusion of the singing in the rain sequence (one of the most powerful scenes ever committed to film). More importantly, I found myself mentally dictating the narration in McDowell’s odd Manc-Shakespearean dialect. The film is a great and original work, but I cant help feeling that if I had seen the movie before discovering Burgess’s landmark text I may have found some of these social ideologies a little cloying. Because of this, I urge you to first read the book before even thinking about seeing the film. Here we have one of Britain’s greatest authors in his prime... creating a work of science fiction that is both surreal and believable. The use of language is fantastic, combining various dialect styles with vivid descriptions, elements of poetry and a combination of Cockney and Russian, working-class slang; whilst the characters manage to walk the line between larger than life archetypes and real, believable human beings. As it says on the back of the sleeve, “every generation should discover this book”... I agree. I read this when I was sixteen and loved it. You will too. Read it before seeing the film and you’ll further understand why so many people consider both Burgess and Kubrick to be geniuses.

Trace - Patricia Cornwell

Since POSTMORTEM garnered critical acclaim and a record-breaking five awards for a first crime novel, the Scarpetta novels have often been imitated, but never bettered. Against her own judgement and the advice of Benton Wesley and her niece, Lucy, Scarpetta agrees to return to Virginia as a consultant pathologist on a case involving the death of a fourteen-year-old girl. Accompanied by Pete Marino she finds the once familiar territory of her morgue and her department much changed, and the new Chief Medical Examiner treats her with disdain despite the obvious fact that he is in desperate need of her expertise. But professional as ever, she re- examines the evidence and proves the girl was murdered. She also finds trace evidence which matches that found on an accident victim and at the scene where one of Lucy's operatives was attacked. It is not only a forensic puzzle, but opens up the probability that someone is after those closest to Scarpetta.

Clubland - Kevin Sampson

The Mersey might still be one of the world’s muddiest rivers, but the Liverpool depicted in Kevin Sampson’s Clubland is keen to leave its murky past behind. Brussels-bound bureaucrats toast the success of the post-Toxteth regeneration; young people are flocking to its universities and money men are clambering over each other for a slice of the lucrative club trade.
Veteran gangster – and hero of Sampson’s earlier thriller Outlaws--Ged Brennan wouldn’t normally turn down an opportunity to earn more money. He’s got a wife and kids with decidedly upmarket tastes, after all. But he’s also got strong principles. The idea of a decriminalised zone in the heart of clubland--where prostitution and drug use would be tolerated--appals him. Unfortunately, he’s not in the best position to fight a crusade. The council are head-hunting him as the figurehead for their latest scheme. He’s just handed over a string of strip clubs to his wayward--and distinctly warped--cousin Moby. And there’s Marguerite, hot-shot lawyer and Haitian ice-queen. Who, in addition to being the widow of Ged’s dead brother, has very much her own ideas about the future of clubland.

This is a highly original tale of tangled loyalties, set against a backdrop of shifting values. Ged Brennan is a protagonist to rival TV’s Tony Soprano: gentlemanly and coarse, principled yet disarmingly ruthless. His journey through the mean streets of Merseyside is sometimes shocking, sometimes disturbing, always tinged with wit. Read it--and be grateful you’re not living it.

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco

Apart from the gripping murder mystery in this book, there is quite a lot of medieval history and politics thrown in. This does not mean, however, that you have to be a medieval historian to enjoy it. If you know nothing about this period, you will probably find it very illuminating. Likewise, although Eco is naturally very interested in the science of signs, you don't need to know anything about semiotics to derive a great deal of enjoyment from it.

If you don't like your fiction to challenge you in any way, that it might be best to avoid this. However, if like most people you read not only to be entertained but enlightened, then this is as rewarding a book as you could hope for.

Dead Air - Iain Banks

There's no question that the anticipation for each successive Iain Banks novel grows ever greater, and Dead Air is a literary event. The sardonic, inventive prose guarantees a unique reading experience with each new book (the misfires may be counted on one hand), and whatever genre he tackles, Banks is one of the most stimulating writers at work in Britain today.
His protagonist here is Ken Nott, a character as penetratingly realised as ever. He's a committed contrarian, ekeing out a living as a left-wing radio shock-jock in London. He makes his home in a loft apartment in the East End, in a former factory due to be demolished in a few days. After a wedding breakfast, people begin to pitch fruit from a balcony on to a deserted car park 10 storeys below; then they begin dispatching other things: a broken TV, a loudspeaker with a ruptured cone, bean bags and other useless furniture. Then the guests enter a kind of frenzy and start dropping things that are still working, at the same time trashing the rest of the apartment. But suddenly mobile phones start to ring urgently and they're told to turn on the TV, because a plane has just crashed into the World Trade Center. And Ken Nott finds his life is to change irrevocably.

Banks's subject here is nothing less than the survival of the individual in the face of a chaotic world. The destruction of personality under the lacerating values of modernity is a subject repeatedly addressed by JG Ballard (and that author's shadow is clearly evident here), and although this is one of the Iain Banks novels in which he pointedly does not use the "M" in his name that marks his science fiction, this nightmare vision of contemporary London has more than a trace of that genre in its sense of fractured reality. But all the caustic humour and dark character development that Banks excels in are fully in place.

1984 - George Orwell

This book starts with one of the most striking first lines of all time but is not the most accessible book you'll ever read.
Persevere, though. The story will grip you, I can virtually guarantee it. Orwell creates a truly believable world that retains the power to terrify even now that the cold war is dead and buried, and you find yourself praying for Winston to succeed even while realising that he won't. That is the secret of Orwell's success: he can keep you hooked even though you know Winston cannot win.
My one gripe with this book is the book supposedly written by a rebel. The ideas are good, but the makes everything drag a little and temporarily stops the narrative flow. This is a little problem however, and should not put you off. And as I said, the ideas in that rebel book are interesting.
Overall, I agree with the blurb on the cover: this really is the greatest British novel to have been written after the war.

Girlfriend in a Coma - Douglas Coupland

Girls, memory, parenting, millennial fear -- all served Coupland-style. Karen, an attractive, popular student, goes into a coma one night in 1979. Whilst in it, she gives birth to a healthy baby daughter; once out of it, a mere eighteen years later, she finds herself, Rip van Winkle-like, a middle-aged mother whose friends have all gone through all the normal marital, social and political traumas and back again... This tragicomedy shows Coupland in his most mature form yet, writing with all his customary powers of acute observation, but turning his attention away from the surface of modern life to the dynamics of modern relationships, but doing so with all the sly wit and weird accuracy we expect of the soothsaying author of Generation X, Shampoo Planet, Life After God, Microserfs and Polaroids from the Dead.

Le Livre De Promethea - Helene Cixous

The type of literature that recreates in the symbolic, exploring the unconscious in an extremely poetic manner, this book, opened on any page at random, will undoubtedly widen your understanding of love and take you where you dream to have lived it. Source of inspiration for thorough introspection in the most awe-inspiring landscapes of the soul, the material mingles with the word to carry you where the body alone cannot take you. An exercise of the feminist language. Some might have got bored by reading it in a conventional way. But, using it with that ethereal wisdom that comes from the debris of unbridled passion, it might prove to be your most precious pillow-book. The Book of Promethea/Le Livre De Promethea (European Women Writers). A most precious pillow-book.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2004, 02:02:06 pm »
Just finished Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' - I'm not the most scientific minded but found it very interesting; lots of nice little analogies to help keep the more complex things relative.

Since then I've started 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown. It is quite good so far (2/3s through) although the format is VERY similar to 'The Da Vinci Code'.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2004, 02:11:57 pm »
Excellent work Keith, much appreciated.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2004, 02:55:35 pm »
Lenny Mcleans wifes book is simalar to the Guvnor, only its giving her side of things. How Lenny was behind closed doors, what happened with her while he was inside, her side of what happened when he got shot and all that. Its still good like, seemed to be a nice fella who was just out for his family.

I read Roy Shaw's books, Pretty Boy and Roy Shaw unleashed. To be honest I didnt like them. Didnt seem the same type of thing as Lenny. Plus he made the excuse when Lenny beat him about being drugged up and all that. Lenny beat him twice.

I like those sort of books like, i laughed most of the way through Dave Courtneys book. Only incident I know that really happened was him booting the copper up the arse. Not quite sure about the rest though. I always thought gangsters were quiet people, didnt give much away. But he seems to want to get banged up! Dont know if he has done time or not, but surely he wouldnt say he had with so many people in London in that business knowing he hadnt?

Did hear he is a grass like, got his car ran off the road or something?

One of my favourite books that Ive read though was Charles Bronsons. Its really sad, at times funny and just totally mad. Would love to see him get out one day  :wave
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2004, 03:11:21 pm »
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee.......an account on the native american tribes in the 1800's, really sad but a great read and insight to an amazing set of people

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2004, 03:23:51 pm »
Ive just had a look on Pretty boy's site after hearing of the stuff on here. Interesting to say the least and he also answers questions on it. One incidentally was in response to a bloke asking him what he should do about his son being bullied (the subject came up on another thread) his reply was this........

"Sorry to hear your son is being bullied. The only cure is for him to hit back I'm afraid. All that bollocks about tell teacher will just make him a bigger target, he has to fight back. Even if he hurts one but not the other couple, they wont want to know anymore.

Always go for the leader and the rest will scamper like mice. Remember, fighters and bullies are completely different! these are cowards not fighters. Where to hit them? I have always found body shots are more effective, especially against the big ones. But on the face, a good hook to the temple and their legs go all over the place.

Good Luck
Roy"

:)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2004, 03:27:09 pm »
Mirra,

Bernard O'Mahoney's book "Wannabe in my gang" looks into some of the myths about the plastic gangsters knocking about.He's never got on with  Dave Courtney and has never been sued by Courtney over the countless times he's called him a grass/informant in print and on his website,which to me,says a lot.

Wannabe in my gang? - Bernard O'Mahoney

"Kray gang boss" Tony Lambrianou - who served a life sentence for the brutal murder of Jack "the hat" McVitie - has threatened to "kill him by smashing a hammer through his head".

"Dodgy" Dave Courtney, who claims to have murdered two gangland rivals, tried "‘to put him out of his misery", and "the most dangerous man in the country", John "Gaffer" Rollinson, has vowed to kill him "when he finds him."

But Bernard O`Mahoney, one time friend of the notorious Kray Brothers and former key member of the Essex Boys Firm, isn't concerned about their boastful threats because he knows the truth about the wannabe gangsters who have built their "reputation" on fantasy gleaned from Hollywood movies and "true" crime books written by their heroes.

This story is of a journey, a journey that spans two decades and involves the most infamous names and crimes in British history. It gives a unique insight into the Kray brothers "Firm" whose public image is a far cry from the truth.

Wannabe also reveals what happened to the remaining members of the Essex Boys Firm following the death of Ecstasy victim Leah Betts and the murder of three of its leaders, who were found in their blood spattered Range Rover one winters evening.

For the first time ever, O'Mahoney will expose the gangland myths that have made legends of those who claim to be responsible for mayhem and murder. He reveals the sordid secret of one of Britain’s most infamous gangsters and tells the truth about the impostors who make a living selling stories and writing books about events that have never even happened.

This is the book many in the underworld never wanted the public to read

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2004, 05:26:53 pm »
The last two were The Da Vinci Code - brilliant, brilliant conspiracy theory book, but I found the relegious history element more interesting than the actual chase.

The Medici, Godfather's of the Renaissance - Non-fiction on the Medici family who virtually ran the city state of Florence from about 1400's to late 1600's.  They influenced and financially supported popes, Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Machiavelli, Leonardo, Galileo and so on.  Members of their family were Popes and Catherin De Medici was the queen of France who, amongst other things, introduced the French to cooking food properly (as oppossed to eating just stews and gump as they had done till she arrived) and also introduced cutlery to France as they all ate with their hands prior to her being married to the French king - all true, but try telling the French that they knew nothing about food until the Italians came.  I really enjoyed this book and if you like this kind of stuff and have been to Florence, it all makes sense.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2004, 05:01:26 am »

Read Bringing the House Down by Ben Mezrich last night.

‘Blackjack is beatable – so we beat it. We beat the hell out of it’

Liar’s Poker meets Ocean’s Eleven in Ben Mezrich’s riveting story of a team of brilliant card counters who developed a system to take some of the world’s biggest casinos for millions of dollars. Bringing Down the House is a gripping real-life thriller, and a captivating insight into a tightly closed, utterly excessive and totally corrupt world.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2004, 12:57:08 pm »
'American scream' - A bio of Bill Hicks

Currently reading 'Naked Prey' by John Sandford - excellent series if you like well-written thrillers.

I'm a chain reader - as soon as I finish one book, I start another and have done for the last 30 odd years!

Offline muleskinner

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2004, 01:05:59 pm »
I have just finished Cocky about Curtis Warren written by a journo from the Echo and a couple of other investigative types. Pretty interesting stuff and doesn't try and make Warren into an anti-hero as some other Gangster books do with their subjects. There is admiration of sorts for his ability to avoid the law but on the whole it just tells the facts as they found him. There is only name they can't divulge who seemed to be running a lot of things (almost Warren's boss) but manages to stay clear of the plod, I'd love to hear more about that.

"Brothers and sisters, I want to see a sea of hands out there. I want to see a sea of hands. I want to see a little revolution out there. "

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2004, 01:21:09 pm »
God forbid any of you should think I'm trying to get you agreeing to go shopping for groceries  :o :o :o  But if you should by any chance be dragged along to ASDA make a break for it and head to their book section.  It is not bad at all, though obviously limited, and they offer big discounts.  For instance, the last but a couple of books I read "Sharpe's Escape", was £8.00 off and the last one "Trace" was £10.00 off the listed price.  Both of them were new publications.  So its worth at least a look I think.

I'm a big fan of the Sharpe series.  I haven't mentioned them because there are a lot of them, which I have been reading for some years now, and the author, Bernard Cornwell, didn't write them in sequence.  However, almost all the gaps have been filled in the story of Richard Sharpe so, if anyone is interested ...

The Sharpe books are set mainly against the background of the Peninsula War - Wellington, Napoleon, Trafalgar, Waterloo - although the series does include stories of earlier campaigns in India and Denmark.   It traces the period through the eyes of Richard Sharpe, illegitimate son of a whore, raised in the workhouse, who joins the army to escape the law (as so many did).  It charts his progress from private soldier rising through the ranks.  The detail of the times is immaculate, and the description of the battle scenes are excellent.  There is always a wench or two along the way  :o  I would thoroughly recommend them if history is your thing (as it is mine), but even if its not, they are a superb read.  But, as I have said, there are a lot of them - so beware before you get hooked.  ;D

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2004, 01:26:11 pm »
Me mum loves the Sharpe books, but I think she's got a thing for Sean Bean (and who can blame her?) so that'd explain the shelf full of em.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2004, 01:34:17 pm »
Me mum loves the Sharpe books, but I think she's got a thing for Sean Bean (and who can blame her?) so that'd explain the shelf full of em.

Indeed.   Phoowaaar covers it I am told.  (Just interested in the historical aspect myself  ;))   And the videos too I assume?

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2004, 01:35:25 pm »
I think there's a couple of videos burried around here somewhere. He is rather :lickin though ;)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2004, 01:42:29 pm »
I think there's a couple of videos burried around here somewhere. He is rather :lickin though ;)

If you say so.  Myself, the historical aspect is my only interest.  I think that ............... dponfp;nsVIIPB obofsdsdvoopnfb3iv3iiv########IIOCBCCbefBKBQSIFIVCavcu'

Sorry about that.   For some reason my nose grew to an enormous length and got trapped in the keyboard  ;D

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2004, 01:43:41 pm »
;D

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2004, 06:50:35 pm »
Sean Bean???

You women confuse me more everyday i swear.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2004, 07:14:26 pm »
What was the last book you read?

on me hols I read "Barcelona Chairs" - Alexei sayle short stories  - not as good as his "Barcelona Plates"
and  "Dude, where's my Country ?" - a lot more readable than "Stupid white Men" I thought

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2004, 07:56:54 pm »
Sean Bean???

You women confuse me more everyday i swear.
Right...so you think that male obsessions with plastic-filled female "celebrities" doesn't strain our logic?

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2004, 09:14:49 pm »

Right...so you think that male obsessions with plastic-filled female "celebrities" doesn't strain our logic?

Nah....it's the bloke's confusing name. Wish he'd change it to 'Shorn Born' or'Sheen Bean' so we know where we are

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2004, 09:34:15 pm »
it will be freshers by kevin sampson when i read it. jumble of the two jeffrey archer, some somerset maugham, born under punches and anne tyler's most recent for the past few reads.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2004, 09:51:29 pm »
and anne tyler's most recent for the past few reads.

I love Anne Tyler. "Saint Maybe" is one of my favourite books, and "Patchwork Planet" was pretty special. So intelligent, but deceptively simple.

Currently reading John Updike's "Brazil", with Nic Helman's "Girls" to follow.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2004, 10:41:42 pm »

I love Anne Tyler. "Saint Maybe" is one of my favourite books, and "Patchwork Planet" was pretty special. So intelligent, but deceptively simple.

totally true! i love the fact you can actually imagine the narratives occuring in real life. to be honest though it took me a while to get into the amateur marriage. favourite is probabaly - ....goes and looks at bookcase...

i'd have to say breathing lessons and dinner at the homesick restaurant. thank my sister for buying cosmo with the slipping down of life freebie.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

STEVEMCQUEEN

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2004, 11:08:16 pm »
Killing Pablo - Mark Bowden
Wiseguy - Nicholas Pileggi
Boys From the Mersey again - N.allt
Kingdom of Fear - Hunter S Thompson
Ghost Riders - Richard Grant
Power of Now - Ekhard Tolle
Tuesday at Morries - Mitch Albom
And B O'Mahoneys book for pissing all over those full-of-shite cockney gangster books.

Oh yeah and Nick Tosches Night Train about Sonny Liston and Cassius Clay was the best boxing book I've ever read.

All the above and dont go near any of that Kray or Dave Courtney pure drivel - its the pits.

Anything by Hunter S, Bill Hicks, Kerouac or American true crime series like Wiseguy, boss of bosses or red Mafia about the Russki's in New York.