Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586154 times)

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2004, 06:34:27 pm »
Cass Pennant -- big ugly gobshite and legend in his own mind.

The Mr Big of the ICF was some old guy called Billy Gardner. Pennant was nothing more than a sidekick at best.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2004, 06:39:43 pm »
You are a true star keithcun. Very many thanks indeed for all your hard work. Greatly appreciated. I'm going to save this thread separately so I can come back to it to choose future books.

Tis a pleasure Maggie as reading is one of my hobbies. :wave
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2004, 07:38:26 pm »
Currently finishing Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy before starting Powder wars over the weekend.

BTW ------ Keithcun mate, do you write a synopsis on every book you read as a memory jog or something?

:wave
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline Maz

• Mary Mary Quite Contrary
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouser,plays for LFC,what more could a girl want!
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2004, 07:41:19 pm »
Ian Rush's autoboigraphy  and Oh I Am A Liverpudlian And I Come From The Spion Kop

great reads.
Carragher's bit on the side.

Offline Maz

• Mary Mary Quite Contrary
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouser,plays for LFC,what more could a girl want!
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2004, 07:42:11 pm »
that should have said autobiography. ::) :wave
Carragher's bit on the side.

Offline Rafa-Revolution

• Main Stander
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2004, 08:05:46 pm »
No probs Maggie.

Rafa-Revolution what/when were you in mate?

Old arse, strictly none combatant.

1972-78 Scaley back
Jumpers for goalposts hmmmm

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2004, 09:11:26 pm »
Cass Pennant -- big ugly gobshite and legend in his own mind.

The Mr Big of the ICF was some old guy called Billy Gardner. Pennant was nothing more than a sidekick at best.

Arent all those types big ugly gobshites though?  ;D
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2004, 09:16:10 pm »

Arent all those types big ugly gobshites though?  ;D

GP. WM

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2004, 09:38:40 pm »
Pennant a sidekick at best, now that is funny.
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2004, 09:41:26 pm »
Pennant a sidekick at best, now that is funny.

Aye he took on the whole of the Den at Millwall on his own you know.......

And won!  ;D
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Rafa-Revolution

• Main Stander
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2004, 09:50:12 pm »
The Devils Guard is a good read.  Quite old now but I wouldn't mind another read of it.  I think it is supposed to be true and tells of former SS soldiers fighting for the French in Vietnam or Indo China as it was.  Used the same tactics as in the second world war and were very successful but it got a bit too much for the purists.  I seem to remember one bit when road convoys kept getting ambushed so the former SS just tied captured Viet Mihn to the fronts of the vehicles and it stopped.
Jumpers for goalposts hmmmm

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2004, 10:20:00 pm »

BTW ------ Keithcun mate, do you write a synopsis on every book you read as a memory jog or something?

:wave

I wouldn't have time mate.

It's all down to Amazon and "copy and paste" .But don't be telling anyone. ;)
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2004, 10:36:23 am »

I wouldn't have time mate.

It's all down to Amazon and "copy and paste" .But don't be telling anyone. ;)

Cheat.

Good idea though ;D

You on commission from Amazon or something? :wave

PS: Deborah Curtis' "Touching from a distance" is a good book on Joy Division's suicidal frontman and very flawed genius. (not an Amazon review!)
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2004, 11:22:20 am »
Gang War: The Inside Story of the Manchester Gangs - Peter Walsh

In the mid-1980s, a Chicago-style gang war erupted on the streets of one of Britain's major cities that continues unabated to this day. Gangsters with automatic weaponry brought terror to the streets of Manchester. Investigative author Peter Walsh traces the inside story of the Manchester mobs and their bloody internecine feuding. He reveals how top villains took over the drug trade and nightclub security, leaving more than three dozen dead, and tells how a new gang culture evolved unlike anything seen before in the UK.

gonna get that sometime. sounds good.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2004, 11:36:37 am »

Cheat.

Good idea though ;D

You on commission from Amazon or something? :wave

PS: Deborah Curtis' "Touching from a distance" is a good book on Joy Division's suicidal frontman and very flawed genius. (not an Amazon review!)

No mate,just offering a service to the RAWK book club. :D

Nowt worse than seeing a book being described as a good read and not having a clue what it's about.Just thought I'd put up the synopsis in this thread for the books I could find so it makes it easier for anyone interested in such book.  :wave

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2004, 11:39:37 am »
On a slightly different subject,there was a program on BBC1 the other night,called Manhunt,about Frank Smith being the "Mr Big" of Liverpool.Yet,I've read Powder Wars and Cocky,but don't remember his name being mentioned,unless that is,he's the "Banker",the name mentioned in both books but the real name not given.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2004, 11:41:10 am »
Jonathan Coe - The Rotters Club.  1970's going to school in Birmingham.  A good read.

Really liked What A Carve Up by the same author, but loved The House of Sleep. Top read on many levels.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2004, 05:33:51 am »
Just finished  The Bookseller of Kabul  by Asne Seierstad.

Sultan Khan is the head of a prosperous Kabul family. A bookseller by trade, he has seen his books burnt by one regime, defaced by another, then burnt again. As the Taliban regime falls in 2001, he meets Norwegian war correspondent, Seierstad. They agree that Seierstad should live with his family for several months. This book is the stunning result.

It reads like fiction -- penetrating, prejudicial and convincing but, although names have been changed, it is an honest, warts and all, account of life in Kabul. Khan, seemingly urbane, educated and liberal, is the tyrannical head of large family – mother, siblings, two wives and five children. Khan’s subjugation of the women in his family is shocking from a Western point of view: As Seierstad moves into his home, Khan takes a second wife, a sexy, uneducated sixteen-year-old, dishonouring and cutting to the quick his loyal and educated first wife: his youngest sister is treated as little more than a slave. And it is this that is the meat of the book; the personal power struggles that exist within the family – struggles which Khan will always win.

The shocking portrait of women’s lives, even under the liberalising regime of Afghan leader Karzai, is frightening, repulsive even from a western perspective, but there is nothing here to suggest that Khan is anything other than a typical head of the family. His mother, sisters, wives and daughters, seem to lose identity under the burqa, which hides not only their femininity and personality, but also their imaginations. Not here will you find justification of the regime: these women resent, in different ways, their position. Nor do the other men of the family fair much better: Khan’s 19 year old, sexually frustrated, son learns from a friend how to exploit helpless, penniless war widows, safe in the knowledge that if he caught, it will be the women who are condemned: but he too resents Khan’s iron fist, particular when it falls on a wretched carpenter who steals postcards. Khan, driven by his sense of honour, insists on full punishment, despite the fact that this will make the carpenter’s family destitute. Khan’s youngest son is forced to work 12 hours a day selling sweets in a hotel foyer when he would rather be a school, something which Khan could easily afford.

Seierstad clearly feels for the women, but also for the country: the sense of what Afghanistan was – a prosperous, beautiful land– what it became through years of strife, conflict and war, and what it could be, pervade every chapter.

No doubt this book will nestle against numerous Afghanistan travelogues in the bookshops but don’t be fooled. Reading it is a unique experience. Some will see Seierstad’s expose as disrespectable to Khan, to women, to Afghanistan and to Islam. Perhaps it is. But it nonetheless provides a unique insight into a country that has so long been closed to western eyes.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2004, 09:19:18 am »
Many thanks for that keithcun.   :wave  I'll definately get that one.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2004, 10:15:51 am »
Keith- you're doing a great job mate...........how about cutting+pasting the link to take us straight to the books ;)

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2004, 11:02:39 am »

Nowt worse than seeing a book being described as a good read and not having a clue what it's about.Just thought I'd put up the synopsis in this thread for the books I could find so it makes it easier for anyone interested in such book.  :wave

Yer lying cunto I asked for people to actually give brief outlines of what these books that they had read were all about. Get off my ideas boat you!  ;)
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2004, 01:57:54 pm »
Sorry Drobbo,

What it should have said is,

There's  nowt worse than seeing a book being described as a good read and Drobbo not having a clue what it's about.Just thought I'd put up the synopsis in this thread for the books I could find so it makes it easier for anyone not capable of finding out more about the book,like Drobbo,who may be interested in such book

:P ;) ;D

Offline man in brown

• Anny Roader
  • Quick, wrap that hamster in sellotape
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2004, 02:40:32 pm »

Legion of the Damned - Sven Hassel

LEGION OF THE DAMNED was the first of 14 novels written by Sven Hassel, a Danish volunteer who served in the German army throughout World War II. Never before had violence been described in such hideously graphic detail: it was a far cry from British or American war novels. Based on Sven Hassel's own horrific experiences fighting on the Russian Front, LEGION OF THE DAMNED won critical acclaim across Europe and America and was translated into 15 languages. It has now been optioned for a film.

excellent book...havent read it in years. Have you ever read The Wiiling Flesh - by Will Heinrich(i think) it is the book that the film Cross Of Iron is based on.....ripping book, best war novel from german point of view.........apart from all quiet on the western front.
"My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem.But they dont really know me."

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2004, 03:10:21 pm »
Just bought Court Martial by Sven from a car boot sale in Salisbury. Only another 6 to finish the collection!
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2004, 03:13:10 pm »
Currently reading - "Continuity Management - Preserving Corporate Knowledge and Productivity when employees leave. "

It's a cracker alright ;D
Never give up

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2004, 03:15:49 pm »

Got the Sven Hassel collection. And a signed pic... 8)

87:13

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2004, 03:42:42 pm »
Sorry Drobbo,

What it should have said is,

There's  nowt worse than seeing a book being described as a good read and Drobbo not having a clue what it's about.Just thought I'd put up the synopsis in this thread for the books I could find so it makes it easier for anyone not capable of finding out more about the book,like Drobbo,who may be interested in such book

:P ;) ;D

;D Very nicely done. But twisting words is the devils work. Fetch me the paraffin, timber  and matches!
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2004, 03:54:14 pm »
Just in the middle of reading John Keiths book on Bob Paisley. Very good read, lots of quotes from Bob and players. Just up to where we won our 2nd European Cup :)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2004, 04:43:32 pm »
Signed pic of Sven? Where did you pick that up? There was an interview with him on Porta's Kitchen (the address is up there somewhere ^), apparently only he, Heide and one other survived the war, which actually made me quite sad. I knew that some of them died, but would have been nice if a few more had got through it.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2004, 04:48:07 pm »

I wrote to him through his publishers (Transworld) and about a month later I got a letter back from Sven himself. He was living in Spain at the time.

Absolutely fucking brilliant books. The biggest selling war author in UK, turns out he was (actually Danish but fighting on the) German (side :P).

Erich Maria Remarque's 'All Quiet On The Western Front' is well worth a go if you haven't.

And (while on the subject of books) everyone should read what they can of Philip K. Dick...

:D

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2004, 04:54:46 pm »
Just bought Court Martial by Sven from a car boot sale in Salisbury. Only another 6 to finish the collection!

That is another excellent one.  Made me sad and angry as I recollect. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2004, 04:57:59 pm »

Did you see the film they did of Wheels of Terror?

I really dreaded to think what the Americans would do to his book, but it's actually quite good, not at all Hollywood. They never got any superstars in, but Olly Reed is in it (briefly)!!

I think it only came out here on video, only ever seen it in Vid stores.

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2004, 04:58:08 pm »
White Gold.

Superb unputdownable historical docudrama type look at the trade in white English slaves in Morooco in the 1700's and the despotic, but strangely intruguing Sultan Moulay Ismail.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 05:54:56 pm by mooro »
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2004, 05:10:49 pm »

I wrote to him through his publishers (Transworld) and about a month later I got a letter back from Sven himself. He was living in Spain at the time.

Absolutely fucking brilliant books. The biggest selling war author in UK, turns out he was (actually Danish but fighting on the) German (side :P).

Erich Maria Remarque's 'All Quiet On The Western Front' is well worth a go if you haven't.

And (while on the subject of books) everyone should read what they can of Philip K. Dick...

:D

Jealous doesn't even come close  :o   How long ago was this?  Is Sven still alive?  I know from his books he was a young man during the war, but nevertheless he's got to be in his mid-80s. 

And Bigdavalad - I'd totally forgotten about Heide - the disgraced Nazi :butt  Was he the other one who survived Barcelona or the Little Legonnaire?  The thing is, I think first Sven's book was meant to be a one off, (because he does talk about who died at the end), but I think the whole thing took off and he (obviously) wrote more.  Its donkeys years since I read these books, but I'm sure some of the characters in his later books weren't mentioned in his first one.

Ooooooooh this is no good I can't stand it.  Problem is, both Mr May and me are book addicts, and I've had to put a lot of books in store (otherwise we'd be living in a corner).  I'm going to have to ransack the house, find the Sven collection and start reading.

And I've just started reading (and am into) "Tommy" too  :butt  Don't worry keithcun honey - I'll post a synopsis tomorrow - promise  :wave

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2004, 05:48:53 pm »
Can't remember who the third one was Maggie, I will try and find out for you. Heide became a Colonel in the East German army after the war though.

Forgot to add, I believe Sven is still alive and living in Barcelona.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2004, 06:04:20 pm »

How long ago was this?  Is Sven still alive?

Would be around 1979ish. As far as I know he is still around.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2004, 06:10:53 pm »
Can't remember who the third one was Maggie, I will try and find out for you. Heide became a Colonel in the East German army after the war though.

Forgot to add, I believe Sven is still alive and living in Barcelona.

Would be around 1979ish. As far as I know he is still around.

Very many thanks to you both.  I'll have a go to find Sven.

Bigdavalad - as to Heide - its one of those awful things where I'm not sure if, knowing his character, I can see him doing exactly that, or if I did know and forgot.  :butt  A ransack of the house is definately in order  :o

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2004, 07:02:30 pm »

Ahhhh. Just dug out the 'letter'. 19th August 1981 :P

This was the biog they sent...

SVEN HASSEL was born in Copenhagen and comes from a poor working class family. At the age of fourteen he became a cabin boy and travelled all over the world. After a couple of years he returned to Denmark, but in 1936 when the country suffered an unemployment crisis, he emigrated to Germany where work was available. After having worked there for about a year in heavy industry in Berlin the few foreign workers there were told that they could not continue working unless they became naturalised Germans. Happy to work in the factory, Sven Hassel, like many others, changed his nationality.

The result was that three months later he was conscripted into the army. For some months he served with the 7th Cavalry Regiment on the Polish frontier. Thereafter he was moved to the 2nd Tank Regiment at Eisenach, and with these troops took part in the invasion of Poland in 1939. Afterwards he went to the 11th Tank Regiment and then on to the 27th Tank Regiment (German: Panzerregiment 27 zu besonderer Verwendung), with which he served for most of the war. He fought on all fronts except in North Africa.

At the time of Germany's surrender he was in Berlin and was taken prisoner by the Russians. Sent from one camp to another, he was finally released in Denmark.

Sven Hassel was wounded seven times during the war. After the war he was seriously ill - almost paralysed - for several years. His sight was permanently affected.

Sven Hassel writes about a band of young men, who as the result of ruthless training learned to obey without bothering themselves about the rights and wrongs. They killed when they were told to do so. They were the young men whom Eleanor Roosevelt called "teenager killers" - the boys in the U.S. Marine Infantry, the Russian NKVD troops and the German Tank Commandos.

His books are the most savage ever written about war and about the Nazi military machine, because he adopted the works of General William Sherman's words as his own...

"I am tired and sick of war. Honourable death is only nonsense. Only those who have never fired a shot or listened to the cries and groaning of the wounded are thirsting for blood, revenge and destruction. War is hell.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2004, 07:05:27 pm »
A bit controversial but had to find out how much of a twat Lennie Murphy was

The Shankhill Butchers

Not your normal run of the mill meat shop book  ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2004, 07:14:35 pm »
Very kind of you to post that Barney_Rubble.  Greatly appreciated.  :wave