Author Topic: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)  (Read 360860 times)

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #5240 on: November 30, 2022, 09:07:19 pm »
Argentina on the face of it seem to have an easy one against Australia, but Australia did beat them 41-26 a few months ago so you never know.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #5241 on: November 30, 2022, 09:07:42 pm »
Boniek was magical in Spain 82

That thunderbolt against Belgium was one of my fav WC goals
Only one thing I remember him for. Being outside the area for the penalty in the 85 European Cup Final
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5242 on: November 30, 2022, 09:07:52 pm »
Hope France slaughter Poland.

Same. I get Poland just wanted to progress, but they threw away a chance to attack a vulnerable Argentine defence and instead played the odds that Mexico wouldn't score enough. They were fortunate to get away with it. They could have had Australia in the next round if they were arsed and even that wasn't enough of an enticement

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5243 on: November 30, 2022, 09:09:05 pm »
think it was the Mexican one, Rogelio, not the bitter

Right thanks. So the bitters couldn't even claim that one.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5244 on: November 30, 2022, 09:12:58 pm »
Same. I get Poland just wanted to progress, but they threw away a chance to attack a vulnerable Argentine defence and instead played the odds that Mexico wouldn't score enough. They were fortunate to get away with it. They could have had Australia in the next round if they were arsed and even that wasn't enough of an enticement

they are proven right in the end  ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5245 on: November 30, 2022, 09:14:54 pm »
Mexico has themselves to blame so fuck them. You just needed to score 1 more vs S.Arabia and you're even allowed to concede, you just get it done ffs.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5246 on: November 30, 2022, 09:18:16 pm »
Netherlands/USA and Argentina/Australia is an interesting 'bracket' - Logic probably suggests Argentina will be the ones to make it to the semi final but I feel either of the other three would all be interesting shouts. I wouldn't expect Australia to beat Argentina but if they win that they can certainly do one of Holland or The Americans. The Dutch are probably the next best shout but other than Van Dijk and a couple others they don't have loads of quality.

England vs France looks pretty likely too for the quarters.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5247 on: November 30, 2022, 09:19:32 pm »
Mexico has themselves to blame so fuck them. You just needed to score 1 more vs S.Arabia and you're even allowed to concede, you just get it done ffs.

Harsh. They did try and got some very good chances on target and a close offside goal called off.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5248 on: November 30, 2022, 09:20:38 pm »
Netherlands/USA and Argentina/Australia is an interesting 'bracket' - Logic probably suggests Argentina will be the ones to make it to the semi final but I feel either of the other three would all be interesting shouts. I wouldn't expect Australia to beat Argentina but if they win that they can certainly do one of Holland or The Americans. The Dutch are probably the next best shout but other than Van Dijk and a couple others they don't have loads of quality.

Argentina-Netherlands have this "secret rivalry" going on in WC's so i think i should be a fun quarter final.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5249 on: November 30, 2022, 09:20:40 pm »
Always a good day when Mexico loses.  :)
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5250 on: November 30, 2022, 09:21:49 pm »
That Michniewicz must be the most cowardly and inept manager in this tournament, and this World Cup is filled with cowardly and inept managers. It truly was soul-destroying shameful football, the kind I don't remember seeing in a long time. The worst thing about it, is that Poland does have some interesting players upfront, but they choose a system to protect two ancient snails in Glik and Krychowiak, which makes it impossible for any team to try to even think of a high line. The fact that a player like Klich didn't make the cut for a team that can't play three passes in a row, is incredible.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5251 on: November 30, 2022, 09:22:52 pm »
Maybe FIFA should fix that a World Cup qualification being decided on yellow cards, because it's very unfair.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5252 on: November 30, 2022, 09:31:06 pm »

England-France, Brazil-Spain and Holland-Argentina look good bets for the quarter finals, along with probably Portugal against Croatia/Belgium or Germany.

Not that a shock isn't out the question.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5253 on: November 30, 2022, 09:34:07 pm »
My builders are Polish and they’ve been bloody fantastic on my bathroom this last few weeks so I’m supporting them. And I had a great holiday in Japan so they’re my second team.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5254 on: November 30, 2022, 09:38:32 pm »
Not sure I heard that right but the BBC earlier said if Poland went level on yellow cards they would have to do a raffle ;D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5255 on: November 30, 2022, 09:45:05 pm »
That Michniewicz must be the most cowardly and inept manager in this tournament, and this World Cup is filled with cowardly and inept managers. It truly was soul-destroying shameful football, the kind I don't remember seeing in a long time. The worst thing about it, is that Poland does have some interesting players upfront, but they choose a system to protect two ancient snails in Glik and Krychowiak, which makes it impossible for any team to try to even think of a high line. The fact that a player like Klich didn't make the cut for a team that can't play three passes in a row, is incredible.

I hate watching Poland in any tournament, always dour to watch, but they could argue it was a gamble that paid off.

Argentina should have beat them by more though and Mexico should have won by more. Just got really lucky.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5256 on: November 30, 2022, 09:56:35 pm »
Was rooting for Mexico to go through because I've spent a few months living there and I'm heading back in a couple of weeks. Lovely people and amazing country.

Not a great team, mind. That said, Poland were absolutely shite too.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5257 on: November 30, 2022, 10:04:44 pm »
I’ve been underwhelmed by all of it to be honest. Liverpool have well and truly skewed my bar of standards this last 5 years.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #5258 on: December 1, 2022, 12:28:23 am »
Argentina on the face of it seem to have an easy one against Australia, but Australia did beat them 41-26 a few months ago so you never know.
Eh?  ???

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5259 on: December 1, 2022, 12:39:56 am »
Today's Fixtures:

Canada v Morocco
Croatia v Belgium

Costa Rica v Germany
Japan v Spain

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #5260 on: December 1, 2022, 03:12:06 am »

Aussies to deliver the ultimate Cup-set :)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5261 on: December 1, 2022, 03:44:08 am »
1978: Mario Kempes missed a pen for Argentina in their third group game.

1986: Maradona missed a penalty for Argentina in their third group game.

2022: Messi missed a penalty for Argentina in their third group game.

We know how the tournament ended in '78 and '86, will '22 follow?😉😉

Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5262 on: December 1, 2022, 05:52:39 am »

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5264 on: December 1, 2022, 07:10:49 am »
Be funny if Croatia knock out Belgium.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5265 on: December 1, 2022, 09:41:31 am »
Cant see Belgium beating croatia, theyve been awful, and because if the gd, they need to win, a draw is no good even if morocco lose to canada(unless morocco lose by 4

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #5266 on: December 1, 2022, 10:06:50 am »
On paper, tonight Spain are going to knock Japan out easily, right? Depressing.  :butt
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5267 on: December 1, 2022, 10:27:48 am »

I see this is all over social media. Has anyone actually fact checked it?
I can't find anything that confirms Kempes missed a penalty in their 3rd group game. You'd think it would be in the match highlights, but I've watched 3 clips on youtube and none of them show a penalty being missed.

Same with 1986, Argentina beat Bulgaria 2-0, but there is no missed penalty in the highlights.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2022, 10:35:04 am by Away in a Manger in a Barney∗ »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #5268 on: December 1, 2022, 11:12:16 am »
I see this is all over social media. Has anyone actually fact checked it?
I can't find anything that confirms Kempes missed a penalty in their 3rd group game. You'd think it would be in the match highlights, but I've watched 3 clips on youtube and none of them show a penalty being missed.

Same with 1986, Argentina beat Bulgaria 2-0, but there is no missed penalty in the highlights.
That bit of trivia is totally made up.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5269 on: December 1, 2022, 11:32:46 am »
That bit of trivia is totally made up.

Shows how easy it is to spread a lie.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5270 on: December 1, 2022, 11:35:01 am »
Differently shaped balls...

That's what Pulisic said...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5272 on: December 1, 2022, 11:53:04 am »
High-pitched?

Clutching at straws, maybe...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #5273 on: December 1, 2022, 12:01:06 pm »
Ben White has flown home and left England's World Cup training base.

The Arsenal defender is not expected to return to Qatar to rejoin the squad after being given permission to leave for "personal reasons."

-- John Cross, Chief Football Writer, 21:42, 30 Nov 2022.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #5275 on: December 1, 2022, 12:25:36 pm »
Entered a 27-person last standing competition for this. I got through the first two rounds using Switzerland & Senegal (the other two used England & Senegal, and Belgium & Brazil).

For the third round, the other two are already through courtesy of the Netherlands - I've got Morocco in this afternoon's match, which I'm only now becoming a bit nervous for!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5276 on: December 1, 2022, 12:28:15 pm »
Alan Ball like ?
Might explain your avatar...

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #5277 on: December 1, 2022, 01:47:23 pm »

Yeah well they got off lightly in those two previous tournaments as the Socceroos didn’t qualify for them ;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5278 on: December 1, 2022, 01:57:12 pm »
Ben White has flown home and left England's World Cup training base.

The Arsenal defender is not expected to return to Qatar to rejoin the squad after being given permission to leave for "personal reasons."

-- John Cross, Chief Football Writer, 21:42, 30 Nov 2022.

Personally - I believe he sucks.

(Joking aside - hope all is ok)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5279 on: December 1, 2022, 02:11:28 pm »
From the Grauniad:
Croatia are unchanged; Belgium are not. Roberto Martinez has made four changes to the side that lost to Morocco on Sunday. The Hazard brothers and Michy Batshuayi are dropped; Amadou Onana is suspended. In come Dries Mertens, Yannick Carrasco, Leander Dendoncker and Brighton’s Leandro Trossard.
They might be going 3-4-3.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75