Author Topic: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)  (Read 361140 times)

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #13920 on: December 18, 2022, 09:44:16 pm »
For someone who's just won the world cup and broken all sorts of records, you'd think he'd look happier.... he looks a little bisht off don't you think?

(On a more serious note, the climax of what will be claimed as The Greatest World Cup Final Ever....... and how many empty seats in that iconic pic...? Says it all. It's the live attendance version of switching off the telly at the final whistle. Modern footie, folks..... :wanker)

Weren't most of the fans on the pitch at this point?

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #13921 on: December 18, 2022, 10:04:43 pm »
Indeed mate. It's doing the rounds and being compared to this iconic pic of Maradona

The stark difference of a packed stadium, no phones and just sheer joy of people taking in the moment.

Modern football is just so fucked.
Some stadium that. Always loved the sight of the Azteca stadium

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13922 on: December 18, 2022, 10:10:04 pm »
Poor Messi couldn't remove that damn coat fast enough. The player wants to be crowned World Champion in his national jersey, not some stupid overcoat FFS. Fuck off Qatar!

I’m sure the hundreds of millions he’ll receive from Qatar laundered through PSG will make him ok with wearing his nans cardigan for 5 mins.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13923 on: December 18, 2022, 10:31:18 pm »
Scenes in Buenos Aires today.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13924 on: December 18, 2022, 10:50:32 pm »
Benzema would’ve made a huge difference today.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13925 on: December 18, 2022, 11:19:27 pm »
It's okay, Kylian. It's nothing a Klopp hug can't fix. Leave those soulless sportswashers and come join us
They've got him by the balls, mate. Who's going to buy him out of that contract? We couldn't even afford to get him on loan. His salary is like 4 players'.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13926 on: December 18, 2022, 11:20:05 pm »
Martinez is a bellend, but who among us didn't love him saving that penalty at Snake Mountain last season, then being a massive shithouse immediately afterwards?

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13927 on: December 19, 2022, 12:06:36 am »

You do remember he refused to play in the last game of last season against city for villa when we needed them to get a point , villa winning 2-0 , he’d have possibly  made a difference being there first choice keeper ….he’s a c*nt in my book
What if he decided not to play because he knew he wasn't impartial? You never know... It could have been a noble choice.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #13928 on: December 19, 2022, 12:10:08 am »
What a phenomenal game of football. Both Messi & Mbappe were outstanding, substitutions played a massive part. Di Maria going off for Argentina and the introduction of Kolo Muani & Thuram for France. Ultimately it came down to the 2 keepers on penalties & Emi Martinez did the business.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13929 on: December 19, 2022, 12:19:38 am »
He wasn't with Messi the whole time; he was following the WC with his son Benja until the Croatia game. He had a live stream on his Twitch channel with Messi, De Paul and some other teammates and Messi told him how much he missed having him as a roommate. Aguero said "But you've never invited me for a sleepover." They sorted it out so he could be the roommate before the final. Lo Celso and bunch of other injured Argentines were also invited to join the squad late in the tournament. Footballers are very suspicious; they wanted everything to be the same and for everyone who was with them at the Copa America victory to be there for the final.
Call the bizzies!
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13930 on: December 19, 2022, 03:22:00 am »
For all the controversy. Its been the best world cup ive seen for a good 20 years. Really didnt expect it to be so enjoyable, and to see Messi win it when I thought his moment has long gone was exceptional.

Didnt like infantino and the emir muscling in on him and making him wear the robe but theyve been at it all month so totally expected.

I think instead of messi retiring from international football, he should retire from club football, and just go around touring with argentina as world champion to end his career at the next world cup.

World cup in the winter, very few passive games, great tempo, should do it again.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:24:08 am by The North Bank »

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13931 on: December 19, 2022, 04:06:20 am »
Indeed mate. It's doing the rounds and being compared to this iconic pic of Maradona

The stark difference of a packed stadium, no phones and just sheer joy of people taking in the moment.

Modern football is just so fucked.

https://twitter.com/relevo/status/1604105672517451777?t=LImOqi8t-Sj6DVXRo1M5Eg&s=19

What a missed opportunity
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 04:09:49 am by Egyptian36 »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #13932 on: December 19, 2022, 08:06:23 am »
Gutted Argentina won to be honest, so many dislikeable players in that team, Martinez and Otamendi firmly in the lead mind, two massive c*nts (can imagine the kind you'd love if they played for your team mind but massive bells nonetheless)

Personally, disliked this WC, the fake fans/ the stadiums with wank atmosphere and loads of empty seats regardless of the fake stadium attendance figures, Infantino claiming it was best WC ever organised, etc etc... guy is a wanker proper out of touch with reality (but with a very hefty bank account no doubt)

Main winners here for me were Morocco with a great exhibition, even though they knocked my country out, they had heart, always cool to see.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #13934 on: December 19, 2022, 09:49:44 am »
fucking french - who taught them to take pens?

harry kane?
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #13935 on: December 19, 2022, 09:53:24 am »
A frenzy of smartphones  ;D

In front of empty stands. Football in 2022.

Humbug.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13936 on: December 19, 2022, 10:01:33 am »
Sounds silly, this... But I thought Mbappe was a bit shit other than his worldie second goal :wave

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13937 on: December 19, 2022, 10:01:55 am »
In front of empty stands. Football in 2022.

Humbug.

Compare that to the 175 k that watched the 1950 final:

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13938 on: December 19, 2022, 10:16:30 am »

Staggering differences.

The pictures tell you everything about this world cup. Complete soulless entity.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #13939 on: December 19, 2022, 10:17:19 am »

Staggering differences.

The pictures tell you everything about this world cup. Complete soulless entity.

The Messi picture would have been about an hour and a half after the pens too, which tells you how much faffing FIFA love to do too.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline KloppCorn

• Kopite
« Reply #13940 on: December 19, 2022, 10:18:00 am »
Sounds silly, this... But I thought Mbappe was a bit shit other than his worldie second goal :wave
he wasn’t great since the Poland game. Deffo coasted through games. Feel Greizmann took over from there. But he rose when it counted.  8)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13941 on: December 19, 2022, 10:18:28 am »

Staggering differences.

Haha that is telling. Football is soulless in 2022.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #13942 on: December 19, 2022, 11:07:06 am »
I'm on board with NOT disrespecting people's different cultures but World Cup hosts are there to enable the, umm World Cup.

At the moment of winning the final, all the focus should be on Messi and his teammates and their nation. No part of that should be a nod to the host nation, they should be there in the background, enabling. Also, Fifa, dumb as mince, forever corrupt should have reminded the Emir that football is the people's game, played by folk all over the world, regardless of their material wealth.

You don't anoint someone a King with an actual robe, Messi did that himself by the way he played the game.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13943 on: December 19, 2022, 11:36:07 am »
Saw this earlier and thought it summed up the modern shitshow of what used to be football.

https://twitter.com/TavernFootball/status/1604766953738043393?t=aHuIlEAiW-XfS3RfugfZOw&s=19

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #13944 on: December 19, 2022, 02:57:24 pm »
Saw this earlier and thought it summed up the modern shitshow of what used to be football.

https://twitter.com/TavernFootball/status/1604766953738043393?t=aHuIlEAiW-XfS3RfugfZOw&s=19

Whats this modern thing of supporting a certain player instead of a team its weird
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #13945 on: December 19, 2022, 03:07:01 pm »
Whats this modern thing of supporting a certain player instead of a team its weird

Its the fifa and ultimate team generation innit.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13946 on: December 19, 2022, 03:40:32 pm »
So how many players from England, probably has the strongest squad at the WC according to many pundits, gets into the team of the tournament... Based on the form at the tournament??

Me thinks Bellingham will get a shout but considering he was average against France then its hard to see any English player in the team.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13947 on: December 19, 2022, 03:52:30 pm »
^ Bellingham and Saka as part of the subs for team of the tournament maybe.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #13948 on: December 19, 2022, 03:59:00 pm »
So how many players from England, probably has the strongest squad at the WC according to many pundits, gets into the team of the tournament... Based on the form at the tournament??

Me thinks Bellingham will get a shout but considering he was average against France then its hard to see any English player in the team.

L'equipe had Saka right wing but no place for Bellingham.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13949 on: December 19, 2022, 05:20:50 pm »
It's the Twitter kiddies.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #13950 on: December 19, 2022, 05:24:31 pm »
I think most people would rather wear a t-shirt with Messi's name on the back than a bisht.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13951 on: December 19, 2022, 06:25:10 pm »
44-2oon's treatment of the final, perfectly correct as usual, right down to Infantino and the Qatari ruler "ruining the moment":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZf2MNFTQYc&list=TLPQMTkxMjIwMjJXInxabamGeA&index=4

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #13952 on: December 19, 2022, 06:35:16 pm »

He was the only one on the French team who seemed half bothered... And I mean throughout the match, not just when things picked up for them. Although he didn't play that well in the first half he looked really annoyed and jittery about the 0-2 deficit, while the rest of that lot resembled a collective shoulder shrug. He was carrying them all and still had the nerve to slot home 3 penalties and score a worldie in 120 minutes of football.

Give that man his flowers. He deserves it.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13954 on: December 19, 2022, 06:52:02 pm »
He was the only one on the French team who seemed half bothered... And I mean throughout the match, not just when things picked up for them. Although he didn't play that well in the first half he looked really annoyed and jittery about the 0-2 deficit, while the rest of that lot resembled a collective shoulder shrug. He was carrying them all and still had the nerve to slot home 3 penalties and score a worldie in 120 minutes of football.

Give that man his flowers. He deserves it.

The fact Deschamps hooked 2 in the first half tells me that the team selection itself was wrong and it would be unfair to pin it on Mbappe. He did the business later in the game when the team was better balanced.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13955 on: December 19, 2022, 07:42:46 pm »
What an embarrassment Aguero is. Imagine if Gerrard turned up to our PL presentation in his full kit, hogging the trophy, sinking beers and videoing himself taking the piss out of the opposition.

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13956 on: December 19, 2022, 07:47:06 pm »
I'm on board with NOT disrespecting people's different cultures but World Cup hosts are there to enable the, umm World Cup.

At the moment of winning the final, all the focus should be on Messi and his teammates and their nation. No part of that should be a nod to the host nation, they should be there in the background, enabling. Also, Fifa, dumb as mince, forever corrupt should have reminded the Emir that football is the people's game, played by folk all over the world, regardless of their material wealth.

You don't anoint someone a King with an actual robe, Messi did that himself by the way he played the game.

On this and other comments about Infantino - he really did show himself to be the most utterly spineless sycophant pandering to the wishes of his wealthy masters after that final. 

"You stewardesses must stand precisely there, holding the medals and trophies, you are only to smile and look pretty - the Qatari in the bisht insists it be so..."

"World leaders, please, you must stand here and hand out the medals and trophies, the Qatari in the bisht wishes to stand at a distance to oversee the awarding of their very large and heavy, very expensive, very thick medals of precious gold without being too close to such inferior infidels and insists it be so..."

"Referees, thank you for a finely managed game, you have provided the desired result without controversy, please now go and stand on the platform above where "Young player of the (OH FUCK MEEEE - THEY HAD ONE FUCKING JOB!!!!) tournament is displayed, the Qatari in the bisht insists it be so..."

"Young man, you had a fine tournament and there were probably others who were better, but you played the final and it is convenient to have such a wholesome looking boy accept the trophy, please now go and stand on the platform above where "Young player of the tournament" is displayed". Gianni whispers "The Qatari in the bisht would like to be in your company this evening, he is in no way homosexual but insists you attend his quarters and stroke his manhood - $5million and a Rolls Royce to keep your trap shut child, do you understand me?  Before you visit you must bathe in the milk of a thousand goats, please wear only a robe, no colourful dress as it may cause offence to his supreme being..."

"Martinez, excellent tournament, shame it is you that we have on the podium and not that magnificent beast Alisson Becker, but here is your Golden Glove now go and stand over there above the displ... (OH FUUUUUUUUUUCK, WHAT IS THIS IMBECILE DOING - IN FRONT OF HE WHO SHALT NOT BE OFFENDED?!!) - can somebody get him the fuck out of here, the Qatari in the bisht will insist it be so... (but please, no imprisonment or beheading, this whole sportswashing enterprise is already under enough scrutiny - take a look at his face and tell yourself he's already suffered enough before setting him free into the night)"

"Keeeeeeelian, please don't look so pissed off that we've kept you waiting for an hour whilst we set up the elaborate display nobody but the Qatari in the bisht insisted upon - meet me at my limousine 10am sharp tomorrow and we can start discussing a deal for you and your team for 2026, the Americans insist it be so... Keeeeeeeelian, I said don't look so pissed off - SMILE and show the Qatari in the bisht you feel privileged to have attended this sportswashing enterprise and aren't in any way feeling oppressed by your sportswashing employers"

"Lionel, my boy, congratulations on winning the Player of the Tournament - it was never really going to anyone else, please now go and stand on the platform above where "Player of the Tournament" is displayed"

Argentina supporting cast of players, manager and coaches are ushered through with a hastily thrown medal and pat on the back

"Lionel, my boy, welcome back - congratulations I have made you a World Champion, the Qatari in the bisht insisted it be so.  It has been spoken by my overlords, that you are a King of their football, therefore you must wear this ceremonial bisht.  To preserve my quality of life in Doha (and don't forget the deal we made for you to win the World Cup) keep smiling and just bloody put on this garment as Qatar need to demonstrate to the world that you are a special sportswashers pet dog, not a mere scruffy infidel, as you are the champion of their tournament, their game, the sport they have bought".

To Qatari bisht wearing man "It is done, project executed perfectly - I have done as you insisted, you have my account details"

What a game, best World Cup final in years it has to be said, but against a backdrop of corruption and deceit.  FIFA (and UEFA) should be ashamed and must be made to see they are not fit for purpose.  Corrupt to the core.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:27:39 pm by BOBSCOUSE »
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13957 on: December 19, 2022, 08:20:09 pm »
If you think the bisht was bad, wait until 2026 when the winning captain is made to wear a cowboy hat, sunglasses, a "I love NYC" t-shirt, some "pants" and a pair of new balance 550's.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #13958 on: December 19, 2022, 08:53:45 pm »
I think we're done here now. There's enough b...ull...isht in the world. Let's consider this a mercy locking.