Author Topic: Your Earliest News Memory  (Read 4938 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Your Earliest News Memory
« Reply #80 on: November 7, 2022, 02:03:32 pm »
I think as a young child (10 and under) I was very insulated against the news by my parents.  Looking back at all the things that went on in the late 80s and early 90s I only learnt about most of it as an adult.

The first Iraq war filtered through as my elder brother, somewhat morbidly, charted it in great detail.  Scud missiles felt like the scariest things in the world right then.

I think the most harrowing moment of that time for me was being allowed to stay up late to watch Koeman stop England qualifying for USA '94.  I remember being in tears and my dad saying "that's why you should have gone to bed" like my staying up late was somehow the cause of England's failure ;D

He’s going to flip one…

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: November 7, 2022, 02:21:13 pm »
He’s going to flip one…
It's all coming flooding back.  That night puts everything going on now into perspective.  The old 'uns are right, we've never had it so good.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: November 7, 2022, 02:24:38 pm »
The James Bulger murder ☹️

That is one of the early ones for me also, although my memory of him being missing is much more vivid than the trial or the CCTV picture of him being taken. It feels completely insane that his murderers were only a year older than me at the time.

Waco is probably the other big one. I think it was one of those situations where even though I was a bit young to properly understand it was clear from the footage that something awful had happened.

I can remember being really shaken by footage of somebody who had gone into a forest and hung themselves during the war in Yugoslavia.

The bombings in Shankhill Road/Warrington also.

I think I remember Yeltsin standing on the tank in 1991 but that is one of those much more hazy memories where maybe I remember the image but have retrospectively attached the context to it?

Not so much news but I remember Linford Christie winning the 100m in the Olympics and our FA Cup win in 1992.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2022, 02:29:45 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #83 on: November 7, 2022, 02:38:01 pm »
It's all coming flooding back.  That night puts everything going on now into perspective.  The old 'uns are right, we've never had it so good.

Koeman was such a villain after that! Remember our local club had some sort of prize giving that evening so we were all watching it and everyone cheered after he fouled Platt because we thought it was a penalty and a red card and we were going to win and qualify for the World Cup. Then turned out it was neither. And to rub salt into the wounds he scored not long after. Couldn’t script a movie bad guy to be that much of a bastard!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #84 on: November 7, 2022, 02:40:07 pm »
What about Pickles the dog, finding the lost World Cup (Jules Rimet) in '66.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 7, 2022, 03:12:49 pm »
My earliest memory was West Beirut being on the news all the time, people firing rocket launchers in the street and running behind buildings. 1982 or 83 I would guess

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 7, 2022, 04:08:30 pm »
Koeman was such a villain after that! Remember our local club had some sort of prize giving that evening so we were all watching it and everyone cheered after he fouled Platt because we thought it was a penalty and a red card and we were going to win and qualify for the World Cup. Then turned out it was neither. And to rub salt into the wounds he scored not long after. Couldn’t script a movie bad guy to be that much of a bastard!
Who'd have thought public enemy #1 would one day manage The People's Club?

I remember being properly outraged that the free-kick was allowed to be retaken because of encroachment when his first effort was blocked.  When Graham Taylor died a few years ago one of the random Sky channels had the match on again and Paul Ince was about two yards from it once Koeman struck the ball so that at least put one injustice to bed.  How Koeman wasn't red carded for the foul on David Platt is still a mystery but, in the spit of fairness, the same linesman disallowed Rijkaard's goal when he was being played onside by three defenders.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #87 on: November 7, 2022, 05:19:44 pm »
I remember the Winter of Discontent. I'd have been 6/7.

Also remember the 79 General Election when that evil bitch won.

By the 1984 Miners' Strike, I was very aware of politics (and donating some of my pocket money most weeks to their welfare fund after hearing my dad was doing so, and helping on a few fundraisers)
« Last Edit: November 7, 2022, 05:21:30 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 7, 2022, 06:38:30 pm »
The Munich massacre in 72.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 8, 2022, 11:11:02 pm »
I used to know the cameraman that filmed that - he died a few years ago.
Well between him and my Mother I think they traumatised me  :)
It is an iconic and powerful image though and it's probably shaped my views on war. I didn't think I actually needed to add any context to my words but I put the wiki link in for our younger posters, just in case.
Having said that, I do like a good war movie, even though they tend to glamourise war itself... 
I see that c*nt Nixon thought it was 'fake news' aswell.  ::)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 9, 2022, 12:45:34 am »
Well between him and my Mother I think they traumatised me  :)
It is an iconic and powerful image though and it's probably shaped my views on war. I didn't think I actually needed to add any context to my words but I put the wiki link in for our younger posters, just in case.
Having said that, I do like a good war movie, even though they tend to glamourise war itself... 
I see that c*nt Nixon thought it was 'fake news' aswell.  ::)
They actually did a documentary where they brought the two of them together (my mate the cameraman, and the girl) about forty years later. She was and probably still is a US citizen now of course. Tom actually chucked a load of water over her (after the napalm attack, not at the reunion) thinking it would help - it didn't.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #91 on: November 9, 2022, 08:52:32 am »
She’s a Canadian now and only this year finished her treatment

‘Napalm girl’ Phan Thi Kim Phuc receives final burn treatment after 50 years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/01/napalm-girl-vietnam-war-phan-thi-kim-phuc-final-burn-treatment?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #92 on: November 9, 2022, 10:58:52 am »
They actually did a documentary where they brought the two of them together (my mate the cameraman, and the girl) about forty years later. She was and probably still is a US citizen now of course. Tom actually chucked a load of water over her (after the napalm attack, not at the reunion) thinking it would help - it didn't.

I'm sorry, I cackled at this.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2022, 01:52:54 am »
The death of King George VI; honestly.

I remember being given a Coronation mug with QE2’s face on it too. And every day at school, thanks to Attlee’s Labour postwar government, we had a teaspoonful of concentrated orange juice, a teaspoonful of malt extract and a teaspoonful of cod liver oil - all washed down with a third of a pint of full fat milk.

You are the winner, Sir!

My earliest are one of the moon splashdowns and some beardy pop group splitting up after singing on a roof.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 02:00:14 am by HomesickRed »

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #94 on: December 2, 2022, 02:34:12 am »
She’s a Canadian now and only this year finished her treatment

‘Napalm girl’ Phan Thi Kim Phuc receives final burn treatment after 50 years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/01/napalm-girl-vietnam-war-phan-thi-kim-phuc-final-burn-treatment?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

wow i haven't seen that in a very long time and still it fills me up, i vividly remember seeing it as a news item, probably my first news item that i found incredibly shocking, i know it stayed with me for some time

however my first news memory that i can date is the moon landing, all the kid's in school were called to the assembly hall and we watched it on a tv - a good call from the headmaster i must say
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 2, 2022, 10:36:21 am »

however my first news memory that i can date is the moon landing, all the kid's in school were called to the assembly hall and we watched it on a tv - a good call from the headmaster i must say
We all turned up late for our science lesson because we'd been watching it. Old Pop Taylor says,"Ay where have you lot been" (as though he didn't know).

"Watching the men land on the Moon", we all yelled back at him.

"Men landing on the Moon? What are you all talking about", he says incredulously.

We tell him we've all just seen it on the TV. "Oh! You mean that TV programme where some men landed on the Moon" he says, obviously enjoying his little wind-up - or then again maybe he was the first conspiracy theorist out of the traps. He was trying to instil the idea of what constitutes scientific proof. Great old bloke he was though, must have been to be held in such respect by everyone at our school.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2023, 02:43:21 pm »
I remember thinking, they aren't gorillas, they are just men with guns.

Offline baltic out here

• Would you buy a second hand vinyl off this fella?!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2023, 06:35:10 pm »
Actually very close to the OP here, a year later to that maritime disaster struck another one, sinking of the "Estonia" in '94. Could be one of my earliest memories, was just before my 5th birthday, grandma wakes me up in the morning all shocked, am like 'think my birthday was supposed to be tomorrow?' and she goes shakily 'the "Estonia" has sunk!' and wee me is like 'what's that, don't we live here?' and she slows down and explains it is also the name of our biggest passenger ship. For a five year old it was kind of hard to comprehend a ship sinking and taking hundreds of people down, most of the passengers. Horrific thinking back when you actually understood the magnitude.
Anyhow.. people still haven't agreed upon what caused it, some conspiracies went about right after it happened, still do..

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2023, 06:46:32 pm »
I do remember that, I’d have been about 15 so probably oblivious but I don’t recall seeing loads of coverage if it on the news here. Pretty horrific event.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2023, 12:29:25 am »
The IRA escape from the Maze prison, and I only remember it so vividly as we were living about 3 miles away at the time, and all the helicopters in the sky made it look like a scene from Apocalypse Now.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2023, 12:12:34 pm »
Born in 1968 here and I think its the end of the Vietnam War. Remember seeing all the people on the roof of the embassy.

Also remember Red Rum being a big news item the same sort of time, my old dad put 10p each way on for me.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2023, 12:43:35 pm »
It's weird - I remember things that happened to me in my early childhood but I'm struggling with news items. I remember the Challenger explosion, definitely. I was 12.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2023, 08:18:30 pm »
It's weird - I remember things that happened to me in my early childhood but I'm struggling with news items. I remember the Challenger explosion, definitely. I was 12.
They cancelled the adventure game on bbc2 to have rolling news….
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2023, 08:55:29 pm »
For those who, like me, had never heard of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HLX2weZfkA

Did you have a schoolboy crush on Madeline Smith, Tepid?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2023, 10:33:43 am »
For those who, like me, had never heard of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HLX2weZfkA

Did you have a schoolboy crush on Madeline Smith, Tepid?
Not that I remember
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2023, 11:01:49 am »

Funny what we remember. I watched the Netflix Challenger documentary and it brought back some of the emotions I felt at the time.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2023, 06:24:30 pm »
Diana is probably the one I remember happening as an actual current event. I was in born in 88, so was eight or so. But I do also recall earlier memories of my mum saying she wasn't going to go to Warrington any more. Wasn't until years later that I understood her reasoning was over a bomb.

I have stronger memories of events that happened in my teens. Like being pretty anxious over the millennium bug ending the world as we knew it. 9/11 goes without saying. Another memory is playing a game on our family computer while the sound of the first bombs dropped in the Iraq war were filling the room. And though I have no memories at all of the wider situation happening in the Chechen war, I can still picture the scenes of the Beslan school siege that were playing on the news while I was getting dressed into my own school uniform.

Honourable silly mentions that I'm almost too embarrassed to admit to: crying on the living room rug because Take That had split up and then doing the exact same thing when Geri left the Spice Girls.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2023, 10:13:14 pm »
I grew up in what the media christened ‘the most bombed small town in northern Ireland.’ So I remember less the news stories and more actual incidents - bombs, shootings etc. The first news story that I vividly remember on the tv was the Enniskillen bombing of 1987, though. I’ve vague memories of others before it, but nothing specific. In world news, Challenger had a massive effect on me.

The news is less interesting as a kid when you can literally go outside and see an army helicopter land in the field next to your house and armed soldiers jump out of it. It’s actually crazy, on reflection, the shot that was normalised in my generation’s childhood.