Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Raspberry Pi
« on: February 9, 2022, 10:37:15 pm »
Anyone here tinkered with Pi? Started ordering the bits needed to build myself a little retro gaming setup. The Pi 4b 8GB are out of stock until next month but have got some of the other bits.

Looking forward to getting some 80’s and 90’s games going from various platforms. (C64, Amiga, Mega Drive etc)

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: February 9, 2022, 10:46:42 pm »
Theres a thread about it, was going to give it a go yonks age but then couldn't be arsed, https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=284607.msg9668681#msg9668681

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 12:53:23 pm »
I've got a few

Two of them run arcade/old computer emualtors (One is in a little box with a mental graphic card) the other is in another box with EmuStation and an even stupider graphic card (That's been beefed up) and the other couple I use with Ardinuo?! Or however you say it. They do lots of nice nifty electronicy things

They are fantastic little bits of kit. Really love 'em :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 12:58:35 pm »
I’ve seen it used as an adblocker but I’m not sure why you can’t just filter out adsites on your router.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 03:19:43 pm »
I've got a few

Two of them run arcade/old computer emualtors (One is in a little box with a mental graphic card) the other is in another box with EmuStation and an even stupider graphic card (That's been beefed up) and the other couple I use with Ardinuo?! Or however you say it. They do lots of nice nifty electronicy things

They are fantastic little bits of kit. Really love 'em :)

I wish 3D printers and mainly resin printers were able to print larger things (for a sensible price) I would love to 3D print and Amiga and Spectrum 128K case and build them using the Pi

Offline Dowahwiddy

• diddy doo diddy dey do doh dondey doh
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 06:48:36 pm »
I used one to build a retro gaming machine. I was using the raspberry pi 3 and it ran all retro stuff up to psx and most N64 stuff flawlessly. Alot of people use retropie as a front end but I always found recalbox far simpler to set up the way I wanted and would recommend recalbox to anyone who wanted to do the retro stuff.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 06:55:49 pm »
I used one to build a retro gaming machine. I was using the raspberry pi 3 and it ran all retro stuff up to psx and most N64 stuff flawlessly. Alot of people use retropie as a front end but I always found recalbox far simpler to set up the way I wanted and would recommend recalbox to anyone who wanted to do the retro stuff.

Cheers for that. Initially that's what I'll be doing and had only looked at Retropie so far. What advantages does recalbox have over Retropie?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 07:23:52 pm »
I wish 3D printers and mainly resin printers were able to print larger things (for a sensible price) I would love to 3D print and Amiga and Spectrum 128K case and build them using the Pi

My Creality CR10 can easily do that ;D (310x310x400mm print area). Resin printers are wasted on something that large anyway.

The Raspberry Pi has been such a wondeful product, a shame the shortage is going to continue throughout this year - though at least they're still being made in the UK.
:D

Offline Dowahwiddy

• diddy doo diddy dey do doh dondey doh
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 06:41:22 pm »
Cheers for that. Initially that's what I'll be doing and had only looked at Retropie so far. What advantages does recalbox have over Retropie?

Recalbox is more plug and play than retropie. It's as simple as flashing an SD card, configuring a controller and adding ROMs. Retropie requires a bit more tinkering about and adjusting settings and configurations which is great if you want to optimise and experiment whereas recalbox is simpler and easier to get going.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 05:53:04 pm »
Hoping the anticipated stock dates of March are realistic. Few different retailers all quoting similar dates in March so hopefully they’ll arrive. The 8GB model retails for about £75 but they’re going on eBay for over £100 because of the shortage.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 01:49:32 pm »
Bloody hell. I thought PS5 and ticket scalpers are bad.

Pi shortage is still a big thing. Their CEO reckons their order backlog is brimming even though their suppliers are churning them out.

Really need a 4GB Pi 4 for a project I’m running. Will see if I get lucky on eBay.

Any sign of any for sale online, please update thread. Cheers

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 02:22:19 pm »
Sold my 8GB last month along with a few accessories, had only had it about a month or two. Didn’t scalp on eBay just listed on FB Marketplace for what I’d paid.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 07:55:21 pm »
Sold my 8GB last month along with a few accessories, had only had it about a month or two. Didn’t scalp on eBay just listed on FB Marketplace for what I’d paid.

Didn't do much for you then?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 04:14:53 pm »
Didn't do much for you then?

I think if I’d had more time or inclination I might have kept hold. I put some retro games on it but novelty wore off after a few days and it just ended up sat there powered off, plus I’d just upgraded my Virgin broadband to Gig1 so wanted to upgrade my eero Mesh kit to as the one I had maxed out at about 450mbps so sold my Pi stuff to offset the cost.