The Liverpool FC Forum > The Boozer

Maggie May's Recipe A Day

(1/234) > >>

Maggie May:
This thread was born out of the genius that is Blurred. 

My New Years Resolution is to put a minimum of one recipe a day on my computer in an attempt to sort out of mammoth appalling mess that is my collection of recipes.  The Genius Blurred suggested that I post them here also, which is a great incentive to stick to my resolution this year (I've failed twice).   So here are the ones which I've put on so far:

Split Pea, Leek and Bacon Soup

125g split green peas
25g butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 leeks, trimmed and roughly chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
1.2 litres of hot ham stock (made with stock cubes)
1tsp mixed dried herbs
250g gammon steak

Put the peas in a container. Cover with water and leave to soak overnight.

Add butter to a large pan and gently cook the onion until soft and golden.  Add the leek and potato, cover the pan and cook over a very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Drain the split peas and add to the pan with the stock, herbs and gammon.  Bring to the boil, cover and then simmer gently for 40 minutes.

Remove the gammon and trim off any fat.  Dice the lean meat and set aside.

Puree the soup in a blender.  Stir in the chopped gammon and reheat.

Lemon Tart

1 x 8inch ready made shortcrust pastry shell
1 x 350g/12oz jar of lemon curd
15ml/1tbsp lemon juice
1 egg
Icing sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4/Fan 160C.  Put the pastry case on an ovenproof plate.

Beat the lemon curd with the lemon juice and egg.  Spoon into the pastry case.

Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until set.

Leave to cool, then chill.  Dust with a little sifted icing sugar before serving.

Custard Tart

1 x 8 inch ready made shortcrust pastry case
2 eggs
150ml/ pint milk
1 x 425g/15oz tin of custard
25g/1oz caster sugar
A little grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5/Fan 170C.  Put the pastry case on an ovenproof plate.

Beat together the remaining ingredients except the nutmeg.  Spoon into the case and dust a little nutmeg over the surface.

Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until set.

Serve warm or cold.

Melba Toast

One small white sliced loaf

Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2/Fan 135C.

Cut the crusts off the slices.  Give crusts to the birdies.

Roll the slices one at a time with a rolling pin to flatten them.  Either leave the slices whole or cut them in half, as you please.  Place the slices on baking trays and bake for about 30 minutes or until pale golden and curling at the edges.

Cool the slices on a wire rack.  Store the cooled slices in an airtight container or tin.

Parmesan Wafers

100g/4oz Parmesan cheese

Put 12 spoonfuls for Parmesan cheese well apart on a greased baking sheet.  Flatten slightly.  Bake in a preheated oven at 200F/400F/Gas 6/Fan 180C for 10 minutes until melted.  Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight tin.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese whirls

12 large round lettuce leaves (Iceberg lettuce is crispiest)
6 large slices of smoked salmon
200g/7oz soft cream cheese of your choice
15ml/1tbsp milk
tsp cayenne pepper
Ground black pepper

Cut the thick stalks from the lettuce leaves and then push the two pieces together to make a base.  Cut the smoked salmon in halves lengthwise and lay on the lettuce leaves.  Mix the cheese with the milk, the cayenne and a good grinding of black pepper.  Spread over the salmon.  Fold over the sides of the lettuce and then roll up tightly.  Place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve, then cut each piece in half slantwise.

rakey_lfc:
can we add our own to your recipes?

Maggie May:

--- Quote from: rakey_lfc on January  3, 2008, 12:56:42 pm ---can we add our own to your recipes?

--- End quote ---

Oh yes please.  I'm always on the lookout for recipes, (which has been my downfall really), but now I shall be able to store them in an orderly manner instead of having bits and pieces all over the place.  And there's loads of good cooks on RAWK, so I'll look forward to seeing their favourites.

rakey_lfc:
Okay, Ill find some for you, although you do realise Half of RAWK including myself will now be expecting A Maggie May's cookbook series soon?

Failing that, Im sure we'd all be happy to come and test your recipes ;D

Lo:
I have a chunk of Parmesan that desperately needs using, hmmmmmm wonder what I will make later  ;D

Cheers Mags good shout for a thread, I really need some new recipes  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version