Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1388974 times)

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #9960 on: September 27, 2022, 09:50:46 pm »
I don’t see it. To leave him out of the squad when he already has 3 other right backs who he prefers then I think he will miss out even if in top form. He didn’t play him when we were winning back to back major trophies. I feel for him. Most other countries would be building a system around his strengths. But then we have the ex Middlesbrough manager at the helm. Not that I give a flying for England just Trent’s state of mind.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9961 on: September 28, 2022, 08:33:32 am »
It's England so we have to have a variation of this discussion every tournament: why isn't Player X in the squad? The England manager isn't picking Player X because this country distrusts flair. We need Player X so he should be picked even though he's injured.

Ultimately, Southgate wants to play a certain way and Trent doesn't seem to fit into that. It is what it is, though I'd prefer he wasn't picked at all so he could stay back and train with the team. But that's it, to care deeply about this is to get drawn into the same old tabloid feeding frenzy.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #9962 on: September 28, 2022, 08:57:21 am »
If Liverpool would ever go for a back of 3, god forbid, Trent would be fantastic as a wing back.
What makes this even more baffling is that in Harry Kane England has a better target man for Trent's crosses than Liverpool has.
Southgate wants to play 80s Italy style of football, and Trent crossing to Kane would be perfectly suited to such archaic tactics.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9963 on: September 28, 2022, 09:01:25 am »
I don’t see it. To leave him out of the squad when he already has 3 other right backs who he prefers then I think he will miss out even if in top form. He didn’t play him when we were winning back to back major trophies. I feel for him. Most other countries would be building a system around his strengths. But then we have the ex Middlesbrough manager at the helm. Not that I give a flying for England just Trent’s state of mind.

Most other countries aren’t building a team around a right back however good he is, see Dani Alves for an example.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9964 on: September 28, 2022, 09:22:08 am »
@TimesSport
Trent Alexander-Arnold has been told that his all-round game lags behind Kieran Trippier’s as the size of his task to make England’s World Cup squad becomes clear

Gareth Southgate is a football genius.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9965 on: September 28, 2022, 09:25:41 am »
Southgate will be managing Championship teams after this England gig is done.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9966 on: September 28, 2022, 09:36:03 am »
@TimesSport
Trent Alexander-Arnold has been told that his all-round game lags behind Kieran Trippier’s as the size of his task to make England’s World Cup squad becomes clear

;D ;D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9967 on: September 28, 2022, 09:41:11 am »
Most other countries aren’t building a team around a right back however good he is, see Dani Alves for an example.
Maicon was boss too.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9968 on: September 28, 2022, 09:41:32 am »

Feel sorry for Trent but perhaps he should take a break from international football whilst southgate is the manager, he can revisit the situation when a new manager arrives who chooses a team based on talent rather than who the press like

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9969 on: September 28, 2022, 09:45:21 am »
Feel sorry for Trent but perhaps he should take a break from international football whilst southgate is the manager, he can revisit the situation when a new manager arrives who chooses a team based on talent rather than who the press like

Probably end up as Lampard next with his Chelsea bias  ;D. He seems to get worshipped by the media for the job he's doing at Everton despite them barely ever winning a game so would imagine his mates would get him the job.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9970 on: September 28, 2022, 09:45:37 am »

Not really an option unfortunately, the authorities are terrified of players getting to choose whether they go up for duty or not.

Southgate is such a fucking prick though. If he really isn't convinced by Trent just leave him out of the squad and be done with it, why call up four right backs and then spend the whole time benching one while talking shit about him?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9971 on: September 28, 2022, 09:48:48 am »
@TimesSport

He picks Harry Maguire :D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9972 on: September 28, 2022, 09:53:20 am »
It's Southgate's team so he can go with whoever he wants. IMO, Trent shouldn't be starting anyway because he has been in poor form this season.

A new manager will probably come in after Qatar because it seems Southgate has lost the fans (I'm not English. It's just my impression). It'll be a clean slate for Trent after that.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #9973 on: September 28, 2022, 10:10:22 am »
Knew we missed a trick in January, should've got Trippier in while we had the chance. What an all round superstar.

Southgate literally can't hide his utter contempt for Trent, always ready to get a dig in, he can't even praise his qualities when given the opportunity.

Time to deal with it Trent, time to get fully focused on us and the game on Saturday. This is when your return to form starts.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9974 on: September 28, 2022, 10:21:59 am »
As others have said, Southgate always picks Maguire and his opinions on players are therefore worthless. Getting to the Euro finals was a fluke. England will be humiliated at the World Cup and I can’t wait to see it.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #9975 on: September 28, 2022, 10:23:24 am »
Can't believe how piss-poor Gareth Southgate is at football management. Trent is a model professional and should be a bigger noise in the England squad, given how talented he is. No matter, thankfully TAA has a real manager behind him.

Will be interesting to watch Trent celebrate his next goals and assists, might be some letting out of anger there.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9976 on: September 28, 2022, 10:25:14 am »
How can he say Trippiers all round game is better, is he not embarrassed by this?

Trippier was allowed to leave Atletico Madrid in the summer and the only team who wanted him as some mid table shithouses paying him a fortune.

If Trent came on the market now every single club would want him, PSG, City, Barca, Real, literally everyone.

He is an absolute bellend, so glad he didn't fluke the Euros last summer.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9977 on: September 28, 2022, 10:42:26 am »
How can he say Trippiers all round game is better, is he not embarrassed by this?

Trippier was allowed to leave Atletico Madrid in the summer and the only team who wanted him as some mid table shithouses paying him a fortune.

If Trent came on the market now every single club would want him, PSG, City, Barca, Real, literally everyone.

He is an absolute bellend, so glad he didn't fluke the Euros last summer.
It's terrible man management to say it in public.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #9978 on: September 28, 2022, 10:42:59 am »
@TimesSport

I never ever got the fuss about him as a player.
The way he threw the three lads under the bus in that final, should have been his final act.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #9979 on: September 28, 2022, 10:45:03 am »
It’s utter lunacy to even think it.
Southgate is picking London centric teams like so many shite England managers before him.
Utter crap as a manager.
The last decent manager England had was Joe Mercer.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #9980 on: September 28, 2022, 10:47:02 am »
It’s utter lunacy to even think it.
Southgate is picking London centric teams like so many shite England managers before him.
Utter crap as a manager.
The last decent manager England had was Joe Mercer.
Not sure he's London-centric, Trippier is Newcastle for a start.  And then you have Shaw, Maguire, Pickford, Bellingham, Foden, Stones, Walker etc.

Doesn't stop him being utter crap though, as you say.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9981 on: September 28, 2022, 11:11:01 am »
@TimesSport

Based on those comments I don’t think Trent will even be in the squad. He’ll definitely take Walker. I presume he’ll take James and then based on that would pick Trippier, and even then 3 right backs is overkill (although a couple of them can cover two positions).

So probably Henderson the only one in the England squad for us and he’s unlikely to get much playing time.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9982 on: September 28, 2022, 11:34:41 am »
@TimesSport

Wow.
As others have said, its his team, and if Trippier works better in it then fine. But he's making a fool of himself by comparing the 2.

However I wish people like Southgate would stop commenting on our players in public. Stuff like this can affect a player's confidence and help feed existing media narratives. You'll probably hear him being booed now given the average dickhead that follows ingurland.

Luckily Trent has a proper professional managing him at club level.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9983 on: September 28, 2022, 11:36:33 am »
Really couldnt be assed what Southgate thinks of him and am over the moon he didnt have play pointless games.

Just focus on winning the trophies that matter trent

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #9984 on: September 28, 2022, 11:46:47 am »
@TimesSport

This from a fella who picks Maguire?

I actually wouldnt have given a fuck if TAA missed the world cup if you asked me two weeks ago

But I do worry how it will effect him.

Everybody dreams of playing in a world cup and you dont get that many opportunities, he will be bitterly disappointed not to play in it.

That is a big blow to try recover from
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9985 on: September 28, 2022, 12:02:22 pm »

I would guess that it wasn't said in public - not clear from the tweet. Aside from his hilarious 'man management' and distrust of unique talented players, Southgate's strength is media PR and I doubt he'd have said that out loud to press.

More likely someone has leaked it to show him up, while it's currently in the sports news cycle. Hopefully Trent haha. He ain't playing in the WC, may as well stay home and get proper rest and training in

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #9986 on: September 28, 2022, 12:03:08 pm »
This from a fella who picks Maguire?

I actually wouldnt have given a fuck if TAA missed the world cup if you asked me two weeks ago

But I do worry how it will effect him.

Everybody dreams of playing in a world cup and you dont get that many opportunities, he will be bitterly disappointed not to play in it.

That is a big blow to try recover from

There is not much more he could do in the short space of time. It will hurt a lot no doubt but Southgate is the final decision maker and Trent didn’t help himself with his inconsistent form this season. It’s not like he could appeal to European Court of Human Rights isn’t it.

All those who are Going to play in 40 degrees heat is going to come back knackered. I hope England go all the way to the final and then lose it.

I expect Klopp to say something about Trent’s exclusion in his next press conference.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9987 on: September 28, 2022, 12:05:05 pm »
It’s not even like they are trying to shoe horn him in to a solid defence

The entire team looks dreadful and they are on awful form. There is no better ‘all round’ right back on Europe on his day, regardless of his defence abilities being a ‘weakness’

The being off form this season isn’t an excuse either. As we know from other selections

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #9988 on: September 28, 2022, 12:13:28 pm »
Whenever I think about Southgate I always think about the story Ray Parlour told about him at Boro.

He took over as Manager and Parlour was either captain or the most senior pro, obviously they had been playing together a year or two as well.

Southgate's first meeting as the manager, asks the players to call his boss, gaffa e.t.c and respect he is now the Manager.  Parlour shouts out can we call you big nose?  Parlour sent to play with the youth team and left the club a few weeks later.

Deffo holds grudges and he wasting a generational talent for some god knows reason.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #9989 on: September 28, 2022, 12:20:52 pm »
Not sure he's London-centric, Trippier is Newcastle for a start.  And then you have Shaw, Maguire, Pickford, Bellingham, Foden, Stones, Walker etc.

Doesn't stop him being utter crap though, as you say.

London media centric was perhaps a better phrase.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9990 on: September 28, 2022, 12:22:35 pm »
Imagine having the confidence to knowingly embarrass yourself publicly by saying you think Kieran Trippier is a better player than Trent :D Fair play to the nutjob.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9991 on: September 28, 2022, 12:26:42 pm »
Whenever I think about Southgate I always think about the story Ray Parlour told about him at Boro.

He took over as Manager and Parlour was either captain or the most senior pro, obviously they had been playing together a year or two as well.

Southgate's first meeting as the manager, asks the players to call his boss, gaffa e.t.c and respect he is now the Manager.  Parlour shouts out can we call you big nose?  Parlour sent to play with the youth team and left the club a few weeks later.

Deffo holds grudges and he wasting a generational talent for some god knows reason.

I think calling Ray Parlour a generational talent is a bit of a stretch.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9992 on: September 28, 2022, 12:28:28 pm »

Strikes me as a very insecure man because he knows deep down he's not respected by anyone, he gives off zero authority so over compensates... like a little teachers petisn't he who's only in that role because he was nurtured into it like some man baby.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9993 on: September 28, 2022, 12:28:36 pm »
I would guess that it wasn't said in public - not clear from the tweet. Aside from his hilarious 'man management' and distrust of unique talented players, Southgate's strength is media PR and I doubt he'd have said that out loud to press.

More likely someone has leaked it to show him up, while it's currently in the sports news cycle. Hopefully Trent haha. He ain't playing in the WC, may as well stay home and get proper rest and training in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63054249

The job of a Southgate right back is to babysit the central defender inside of him.  It's how I was taught to play the role 30 years ago and I presume what Southgate as a central defender demanded of his full-backs throughout his career.  Trent isn't that player and neither is James particularly, although James has the advantage that he's more experienced in a back five if England set-up that way.

Trent is better off out of it but I suspect he'll be taken along as a third right back for the World Cup as Trippier could also cover as the third left back if needed.  I doubt Trent gets much if any game time though.

The silver lining is that it may push Trent on to even higher levels.  There are aspects of his defensive intensity he could improve upon but caveated with he actually defends very well the majority of the time by using his brain rather than his blood and/or guts.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9994 on: September 28, 2022, 12:29:18 pm »
I think calling Ray Parlour a generational talent is a bit of a stretch.

:D

The Romford Pele.

Don’t mind that from Southgate in a way. Maybe he always thought Parlour was a bit of a prick. Maybe he had to make an example of a senior pro who was setting the wrong tone like Houllier did with Ince.

Still completely out of his depth and clueless about Trent of course!

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9995 on: September 28, 2022, 12:32:41 pm »
Imagine having the confidence to knowingly embarrass yourself publicly by saying you think Kieran Trippier is a better player than Trent :D Fair play to the nutjob.

To be fair though Trippier has played for an attritional Atletico side. That is much closer to how Southgate wants to play the game than Klopp's expansive Liverpool side. If you are going to pick Trent than you actually need to try and play expansive football. Southgate hasn't got the inclination or coaching ability to do that.

Hitting a sweeping 60 yard pass to your opposite full back doesn't really work when the coach has stationed him near his own corner flag.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #9996 on: September 28, 2022, 01:39:15 pm »
Southgate will be managing Championship teams after this England gig is done.

Nice would be his most likely destination.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9997 on: September 28, 2022, 01:40:25 pm »
This is what Southgate said about Maguire, sticking his big nose in now suggesting that ten Hag needs to play huim more:

"Why do we pick him? Because he’s one of the players who gives us the best chance of winning. So really we should all be wanting a Harry Maguire that’s playing regularly and playing with confidence. That applies to quite a few players but he’s the one everything lands on, which must be a tough space for him.”

So this is what Trent is dealing with here - one of the most inept managers in the game. Just seeing him on the sidelines trying to look like he knows what he’s doing is hilarious.

Feel for Trent a bit, but from my very selfish perspective, I hope he gets a nice break when the world cup is on.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #9998 on: September 28, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »
does anyone actually know what southgate's system is?

every england game i watch seems disjointed and looks like we're just winging it

it doesn't help that i cannot fucking stand most of the players that play for england though

i mean, does anyone on here shout 'come on sterling get that goal' or 'you'll never beat harry maguire'
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #9999 on: September 28, 2022, 02:12:00 pm »

if that is true Parlour fully deserved it for being an idiot and disrespectful. I wouldnt blame Southgate for that.

There is not much more he could do in the short space of time. It will hurt a lot no doubt but Southgate is the final decision maker and Trent didn’t help himself with his inconsistent form this season. It’s not like he could appeal to European Court of Human Rights isn’t it.

All those who are Going to play in 40 degrees heat is going to come back knackered. I hope England go all the way to the final and then lose it.

I expect Klopp to say something about Trent’s exclusion in his next press conference.

Even when Trents form was good and we were winning the league and champions league he was never first choice.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR