Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 521707 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #3200 on: January 6, 2021, 01:29:47 pm »
Let's hope Schlumberger can work miracles and get Matip fit to play at least 1 game a week. Hopefully they can work out whether these injuries are coming from things like stress or diet, and whether a different warmup or stretching could help minimise strains and pulls.

We have top guys involved, hope they can figure this out.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3201 on: January 6, 2021, 01:38:59 pm »
I could be wrong but havent his last two injuries been after he’s had a week off? It’s not like we overplayed him, sadly he’s just so injury prone that there is no way to manage him. I think when he’s fit enough we play him and hope for the best, not much else we can do.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3202 on: January 6, 2021, 01:52:13 pm »
Let's hope Schlumberger can work miracles and get Matip fit to play at least 1 game a week. Hopefully they can work out whether these injuries are coming from things like stress or diet, and whether a different warmup or stretching could help minimise strains and pulls.

We have top guys involved, hope they can figure this out.

Suspect Schlumberger will be our only Jan signing with a view to aiding VVD/Gomez's recovery and keeping Matip fit

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3203 on: January 6, 2021, 01:55:53 pm »
Good stuff.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #3204 on: January 6, 2021, 01:59:57 pm »
Suspect Schlumberger will be our only Jan signing with a view to aiding VVD/Gomez's recovery and keeping Matip fit

Ridiculous if true.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3205 on: January 6, 2021, 03:14:03 pm »
I think the evidence is there to suggest he simply is one of those players who can't stay fit.

I think he's a fantastic player and would advocate keeping him around despite his issues, he's quality enough that in normal circumstances, if you can get 25 appearances a season out of him you keep him (as long as he's not on a wild contract).

As it is, with no Gomez or Van Dijk available to mitigate the sting when he's injured, he feels more of a risk than ever - and more of a risk not to use the transfer market and the current opportunities that are presenting themselves across Europe (mainly France).
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3206 on: January 6, 2021, 03:17:54 pm »
Pearce saying we’re hopeful Joel will be back for the Utd game. No doubt will be a huge boost if he is but how long can he stay fit for is always the worry.
fantastic news
if true keep fabinho, TAA and Robertson rested til sunday week
play thiago for one half on friday to get match fit
rest the front three
and lets have a full team raring to go against united

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3207 on: January 6, 2021, 03:51:55 pm »
fantastic news
if true keep fabinho, TAA and Robertson rested til sunday week
play thiago for one half on friday to get match fit
rest the front three
and lets have a full team raring to go against united

Wrong thread, but you haven't been paying attention if you think our players having nearly 2 weeks with no game is a good thing.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3208 on: January 6, 2021, 04:02:55 pm »
I still think him average but I must admit he is better than Williams and Phillips.

Are you referring to Matip?

Personally I'd argue that in terms of ability there's no question that Matip is a Top 5 centre back in this league. I understand people questioning his durability but in terms of ability I think he's right up there in that group below van Dijk.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3209 on: January 6, 2021, 04:05:48 pm »

Personally I'd argue that in terms of ability there's no question that Matip is a Top 5 centre back in this league. I understand people questioning his durability but in terms of ability I think he's right up there in that group below van Dijk.

100% agree. There was a spell during the Kiev season where he was arguably the 3rd best in the league behind VVD and Laporte.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3210 on: January 6, 2021, 04:07:41 pm »
Matip is criminally underrated and his ability to get on the pitch consistently is at the root of that.

If he was more durable and elected to play for his country of birth - this guy would have 100+ Germany caps and a World Cup winner's medal.

Personally I think the guy is in the Top 10 Centre Halves in the world, if we're accounting for quality and durability isn't a factor.

Good in the air, good at one-on-ones, reasonably mobile, great passer, surprisingly effective dribbler, attacking threat at set-pieces... He's a great player.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3211 on: January 6, 2021, 04:26:14 pm »
Matip is criminally underrated and his ability to get on the pitch consistently is at the root of that.

If he was more durable and elected to play for his country of birth - this guy would have 100+ Germany caps and a World Cup winner's medal.

Personally I think the guy is in the Top 10 Centre Halves in the world, if we're accounting for quality and durability isn't a factor.

Good in the air, good at one-on-ones, reasonably mobile, great passer, surprisingly effective dribbler, attacking threat at set-pieces... He's a great player.

Most certainly.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3212 on: January 6, 2021, 04:27:47 pm »
If you think he's an average player, then you must be watching a different sport.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3213 on: January 6, 2021, 04:45:30 pm »
Average :lmao :lmao

We've reached peak RAWK.
:D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3214 on: January 6, 2021, 04:47:03 pm »
He is of average ability in comparison to our two other senior CBs who are of the same sort of level
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #3215 on: January 6, 2021, 04:48:23 pm »
He is of average ability in comparison to our two other senior CBs who are of the same sort of level
He isn't average even when compared to Van Dijk.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3216 on: January 6, 2021, 05:03:43 pm »
He isn't average even when compared to Van Dijk.

I believe that was the implication ;D
:D

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3217 on: January 6, 2021, 05:04:20 pm »

He's better than one of them

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3218 on: January 6, 2021, 05:05:35 pm »

Van Dijk is better, but I think matip is better than Gomez. Gomez is quicker, but Matip is better overall as a defender. Gomez however has a huge upside, so no slight on him.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #3219 on: January 6, 2021, 05:08:38 pm »
I believe that was the implication ;D
Got it ;D
Thought it meant that they make him look average.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3220 on: January 6, 2021, 05:09:58 pm »
He's better than one of them

Matio and VVD would be my choice as the best pair. Gomez is fast but his aerial abilty and a tendency to be a bit rash need improving,

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3221 on: January 6, 2021, 05:36:16 pm »
Van Dijk is better, but I think matip is better than Gomez. Gomez is quicker, but Matip is better overall as a defender. Gomez however has a huge upside, so no slight on him.

Most of our assessments on Gomez come down to how good his partnership has been with VVD at times, his age and his potential high ceiling.

Both Gomez and Matip offer different things and do them well. I guess VVD is the best bits of both with virtual zero weaknesses, other than the tendency to get injured when assaulted by rivals!

Matip has still been one helluva signing, sometimes I wish we would've paid £30m+ as he probably would be rated higher amongst the fanbase and the media, in the same way that Maguire is seen as world classs cos Woody spunked £80m on him!

Just get fit Joel!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3222 on: January 6, 2021, 06:08:56 pm »
Got it ;D

Thought it meant that they make him look average.

Nah, three cracking players

And as unpopular as it often ended up being to say...Lovren was right up there as well
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3223 on: January 6, 2021, 06:22:05 pm »
Nah, three cracking players

And as unpopular as it often ended up being to say...Lovren was right up there as well

Yeah he was a good enough player to start in most games.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #3224 on: January 6, 2021, 06:38:31 pm »
Hopefully he is fit to return against United, let's see how long he can stay fit or injury free this time.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3225 on: January 6, 2021, 06:40:37 pm »
agreed - we needed another CB while we had Dejan Lovren and then we sold him and I do believe he had a better injury/availability record than Matip. I still think him average but  I must admit he is better than Williams and Phillips.

Do we know when Matip is expected back ?
Any predictions?  For me he will probably be available for match selection after United game so 18 Jan  onwards

Matip is well above average and clearly better than Gomez all round. His short passing from the back is probably the best in the league for me.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3226 on: January 6, 2021, 06:44:11 pm »

He’s talking about looks. Which is harsh really because Joel has a lovely smile and comes across a nice guy.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3227 on: January 6, 2021, 07:20:51 pm »
Hopefully he is fit to return against United, let's see how long he can stay fit or injury free this time.

Probably not very long.

Offline drirfan

• Main Stander
  • From doubters to believers
« Reply #3228 on: January 6, 2021, 07:46:41 pm »

Great player when fit,  but its beyond his capabilities to get caps for Germany considering he played international football for Cameroon!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3229 on: January 6, 2021, 07:56:57 pm »
Great player when fit,  but its beyond his capabilities to get caps for Germany considering he played international football for Cameroon!

Well they guy you quoted literally said IF Matip opted to play for the country of BIRTH, he would have 100 plus caps for Germany [He was born in Bochum]  :D

Offline drirfan

• Main Stander
  • From doubters to believers
« Reply #3230 on: January 6, 2021, 08:01:22 pm »
Sorry my bad!!distracted by watching crazy trump supporters storm Capitol Hill

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3231 on: January 6, 2021, 10:01:55 pm »
I really hope he is back for the United game.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3232 on: January 6, 2021, 11:08:25 pm »
agreed - we needed another CB while we had Dejan Lovren and then we sold him and I do believe he had a better injury/availability record than Matip. I still think him average but  I must admit he is better than Williams and Phillips.

Do we know when Matip is expected back ?
Any predictions?  For me he will probably be available for match selection after United game so 18 Jan  onwards

Injury prone ? Yes

Average? :lmao

Get a grip
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3233 on: January 7, 2021, 01:57:00 am »
For the record again, Lovren wanted to leave the club for over a year now, as he wanted to play regularly. Klopp convinced him once, to stay for one more year. he did that, and then got his move well deservedly, as he didn't want to be 4th choice.

However he too had problems with injuries, it's why he lost his place to begin with in 2018/2019. In fact they both missed the same amount of games total from 18 to the end of last season.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3234 on: January 7, 2021, 02:20:43 am »
That period from before Madrid through the start of last season where he somehow managed to stay fit - I’d say his performances weren’t far off VVD level. He was one of the best players on the pitch in Madrid too.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3235 on: January 7, 2021, 10:40:46 am »
Injury prone ? Yes

Average? :lmao

Get a grip

Think he means Lovren?

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3236 on: January 7, 2021, 09:51:28 pm »
Think he means Lovren?

Yes i think he meant Lovren. Its still fucking stupid if he meant Lovren who is levels above being rated an average defender.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3237 on: January 7, 2021, 10:08:36 pm »
In the 4-0 win against Barcelona he was imperious.

His timing is outstanding

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #3238 on: January 7, 2021, 10:51:20 pm »
He's the anti-Mamadou Sakho.

Keeps his head down and I can count on one hand the amount of times in his LFC career I thought 'what the hell were you thinking there Joel'. Very very rarely gets dribbled past.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3239 on: January 8, 2021, 11:39:52 pm »
I fully expected Matip to be out for much longer. If he returns for the Utd game then I’ll be delighted.
#JFT97