Author Topic: Sunderland game postponed  (Read 15250 times)

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sunderland game postponed
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 10:50:09 am »
Perhaps I am being naive but at this stage of the season then wasn`t this always bound to happen ?  Not massively bothered. Lets smash swansea and see where we go from there

Yeah it was. I just wasn't aware of this rule that top flight games cannot be played on the same days as CL matches, meaning that games will have to be bunched up in the none CL weeks.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 10:53:09 am »
Just happens to be the game I'd arranged to come over for as well.

That's a shitter :( Any chance travel insurance would compensate you for the cancellation? I know a few banks in the UK give you free insurance with your account, maybe your bank does something similar?

I was thinking about this last week with all the shenanigans surrounding the Fulham game, and wondered if there was any way SoS could organise some kind of bulk travel insurance for supporters' clubs or whatever. Turns out the FSF do something similar - http://www.fsf.org.uk/media/uploaded/INSURANCE_INFO_SHEET(1).pdf. Maybe it's too late to help you this time round, but it might be useful in the future.

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 10:54:18 am »
Did the PL sign the agreement not to play domestic games on CL fixture nights?

Now that the round of 16 is played over 4 days instead of 2 (Tues/Wed x 2 weeks) it makes it difficult to find space for FAC replays and postponed league games due to bad winter weather.

What exactly would UEFA do if a rearranged PL game was in fact played?  If the PL sanctioned the game what penalty could be dished out?

I know we played Everton on a CL fixture night.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 10:54:56 am »
Yeah it was. I just wasn't aware of this rule that top flight games cannot be played on the same days as CL matches, meaning that games will have to be bunched up in the none CL weeks.

Our game with Everton when Gerrard got a hat trick was played on a Champions League night.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:25 am »
Our game with Everton when Gerrard got a hat trick was played on a Champions League night.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26235967

The rule came to light when Liverpool beat Everton 3-0 in a Premier League match on Tuesday 13 March 2012 - the same night that Inter Milan and Bayern Munich beat Marseille and Basel respectively in Champions League last-16 second legs.

The Merseyside derby had been shifted to that date because of Liverpool's participation in the League Cup final earlier in the season.

Uefa claimed that the clash should not have happened as the Premier League is part of the European Professional Football Leagues body, which has agreed not to stage games on Champions League nights.

The Premier League disputed that it was bound by the agreement, saying clashes were "sometimes inevitable".

So I guess there is an argument that the Prem League might stage some games on CL nights, but given that this is now in the media spotlight you'd think that they wouldn't want to rock the boat.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 11:00:08 am »
Nevermind the Sunderland game.  I am coming over from Hong Kong to see us on Apr-12 against Man City, and now it seems like it is likely to be postponed as well.... When do you guys think it will be moved to?  I might have to make some travel changes.

(Sigh)
We won it 6 times

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 11:10:01 am »
Nevermind the Sunderland game.  I am coming over from Hong Kong to see us on Apr-12 against Man City, and now it seems like it is likely to be postponed as well.... When do you guys think it will be moved to?  I might have to make some travel changes.

(Sigh)

Come, get in the stadium, take a pic and put it on twitter....

guaranteed freebies from the club after that! like that other Evertonian chap

But back to the matter....we have less games and our squad will be less stretched than the teams we are competing against so whenever we play them we should be fine.

The recent midweek game and FA cup tie on Sunday shows we can do it when required.....wasnt for a lack of energy Arsenal beat us..
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 11:49:56 am »
Even if we have to play City and Chelsea within a few days - they will both have bigger fixture pileups than us anyway so may need to rotate.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 12:22:05 pm »
There's no chance they will play anything other than their strongest team against us. Moyes is under far too much pressure to do that against us

A bit frustrating that we'll have no game for 2 weeks though, I like the games coming around quickly when we are going well.

Depends what his priorities are. Beating liverpool or actually doing something with their season.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »

Come, get in the stadium, take a pic and put it on twitter....

guaranteed freebies from the club after that! like that other Evertonian chap

But back to the matter....we have less games and our squad will be less stretched than the teams we are competing against so whenever we play them we should be fine.

The recent midweek game and FA cup tie on Sunday shows we can do it when required.....wasnt for a lack of energy Arsenal beat us..

I would love to meet up with Brendan and Stevie :-) but I doubt it would happen.

Seriously, isn't the City game supposed to be postponed to mid-week after 12th i.e. 15th / 16th?
We won it 6 times

Offline Midekima

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 12:28:43 pm »
This is really annoying.

We will now have 2 mid week games and two weeks where we have no games.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »
Does this still apply now their opponents need a replay?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Paddock77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • The King and I
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 01:22:28 pm »
I would love to meet up with Brendan and Stevie :-) but I doubt it would happen.

Seriously, isn't the City game supposed to be postponed to mid-week after 12th i.e. 15th / 16th?

Would have to be the 16th in that case.
" A bastion of invincibility"

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:40 pm »
This is really annoying.

We will now have 2 mid week games and two weeks where we have no games.

This is why it was strange to see posters stating that they didn't care if we went out of the FA cup (weirdos but there we go) as we'd have less fixtures to arrange and could concentrate on the league.  When in reality having no fixture for two 2 week periods in the run in may have the same impact as having 2/3 games per week, given how it can affect momentum etc.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 02:03:04 pm »
This is why it was strange to see posters stating that they didn't care if we went out of the FA cup (weirdos but there we go) as we'd have less fixtures to arrange and could concentrate on the league.  When in reality having no fixture for two 2 week periods in the run in may have the same impact as having 2/3 games per week, given how it can affect momentum etc.

Having 2 fixtures close together is no major deal, in fact it can be seen as a positive. Win and you have momentum and lose and you have a chance to quickly get over it.

Also, having midweek games shouldn't tire out a bunch of professionals, especially when there will be periods where they go 2 weeks without a game. If anything, Chelsea, Man City and co will have issues.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 02:15:55 pm »
Having 2 fixtures close together is no major deal, in fact it can be seen as a positive. Win and you have momentum and lose and you have a chance to quickly get over it.

Also, having midweek games shouldn't tire out a bunch of professionals, especially when there will be periods where they go 2 weeks without a game. If anything, Chelsea, Man City and co will have issues.

Yep I agree.  If anything I think a big gap which two weeks is can have a detrimental impact, especially when it's going to happen at least twice in the run in apparently.  It's only of benefit where there are injuries to players & it obviously provides more time to recover.  It doesn't help momentum in any way and some players if not all will probably become frustrated at not playing while watching rival teams contest latter stages of cup competitions.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 02:44:55 pm »
I don't mind rescheduled games when they are at home...puts more strain on the away team IMO. And especially when that away team is the one that has the extra game to fit in. In this case, they have two games to fit in with two cup competitions.

No issue.

Offline JamesBeRed

• Boys Pen
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »
Was/am planning on coming over for this match from Boston and gutted that it looks like I'm going to miss it.

Was a bit of an effort to even secure tix (they are in my name at Will Call) and I was REALLY looking forward to the match as I have not been to Anfield since 2009.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions with what I should do with these tickets?  I'm going to be in the UK from March 9th-16th so am praying for the match to be rescheduled on the 12th

:-\

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:11 pm »
Im sure City will be fine. They have basically got two top four standard starting 11s.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »
Except that Man City are away to Barcelona that night

12th seems the obvious date for Sunderland to visit Anfield.

Uefa does not approve of re-scheduled matches in the same mid-week as Champions League ties, because of the TV rights.

If they insist on this then potentially the City and Sunderland game cannot be played until April 15-16. Plus City and United were due to meet on the weekend of the League Cup Final, so City need to re-schedule that one too.

I'm not saying it definitely cannot happen on the  11th-12th, but I would think that the Sunderland game and the United game would be organised first. I suspect we won't be making up that game until later

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 04:11:28 pm »
2 weeks off is gonna be hell for us to wait for but I'm sure Brendan and the players don't mind. The likes of Lucas, Sakho, Enrique and Johnson will have only just returned then so an extra 2 weeks to get them fit and firing is pretty nice. :)

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »
That will be too much for our thin squad though.

Prefer both of them not to be tied up together. The City game before that will take up a lot of energy

Relax - we only play for about 30 mins at home, ask Everton and Arsenal. ;)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline pasmob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 07:17:22 pm »
Plus City and United were due to meet on the weekend of the League Cup Final, so City need to re-schedule that one too.

That's already been refixed for Mar 23 - the first free week for them that is free between CL matches and international friendlies.

Unless the p.l. get agreement from uefa, the next match date open for city is the week after the FA cup semi final - presumably the other match city need to have refixed will be on then, so it could be the last week of the season before we play city.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:20:31 pm by pasmob »

Online exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:42 pm »
2 weeks off is gonna be hell for us to wait for but I'm sure Brendan and the players don't mind. The likes of Lucas, Sakho, Enrique and Johnson will have only just returned then so an extra 2 weeks to get them fit and firing is pretty nice. :)

Couple of days relaxing in the sun, away from the pressures.  Could be just the tonic.....

Offline BoltonRed

• OOTer in a non footballing township... Android Meff
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • 'Making Us Dream' ..................Again.
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »
Relax - we only play for about 30 mins at home, ask Everton and Arsenal. ;)

Brilliant  ;D  ;D
Ah shut it yer fucking fanny. Sorry to upset you, but we're going to twat these c*nts. The only fluke will be that we don't rupture our collective banjo strings from the dry bumming we're giving these tonight.

Offline _Redman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2014, 07:31:58 pm »
Except that Man City are away to Barcelona that night

12th seems the obvious date for Sunderland to visit Anfield.

but what about the rule that doesn't allow premier league matches to be played on tha same day(s) when there's CL footy on??

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2014, 08:15:51 pm »
They've been playing a few fa cup games on Friday nights this year. Sunderland should play Friday and then leave the game with us on the Monday. Simples
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline stueya

• Kopite
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »
Most likely be March 26th from what I've heard
We all live in a purple wheelie bin

Online exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 11:00:02 pm »
Most likely be March 26th from what I've heard

Yep, or the 25th - non-CL date that week.  26th would make TV sense as the Manchester Derby is on the 25th.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:55 pm »
This gives us a full 2 weeks to prepare for the theatre of nightmares.
Maybe some warm weather training, last season  rodgers cancelled it because of bad results.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Pheeny

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2014, 11:17:43 pm »
That's a shitter :( Any chance travel insurance would compensate you for the cancellation? I know a few banks in the UK give you free insurance with your account, maybe your bank does something similar?

I was thinking about this last week with all the shenanigans surrounding the Fulham game, and wondered if there was any way SoS could organise some kind of bulk travel insurance for supporters' clubs or whatever. Turns out the FSF do something similar - http://www.fsf.org.uk/media/uploaded/INSURANCE_INFO_SHEET(1).pdf. Maybe it's too late to help you this time round, but it might be useful in the future.
The trip over is to visit my family but I try and take in a game when I'm over.Plus Bobby Fury is in town...

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:35 pm »
Win the next 2. Put the entire team in an isolation chamber and show them re runs of all our title wins. Make Surez bite whoever doesn't comply.

Win the next 2 and onto our 10 cup finals. We can do this.

So much vamos.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline shafticus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2014, 11:26:54 pm »
Yep, or the 25th - non-CL date that week.  26th would make TV sense as the Manchester Derby is on the 25th.

That would make sense, but you would think that their game against WBA (I think) would be moved to that week given that it - like the Manchester Derby - has been pushed out by the League Cup final. That said, it hasn't been announced yet and the derby has so maybe not.
I read in Wikipedia that his full name is Andrew Thomas Carroll. Such a beautiful name. By the way,

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:29 am »
Win the next 2. Put the entire team in an isolation chamber and show them re runs of all our title wins. Make Surez bite whoever doesn't comply.

:wellin

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2014, 08:20:28 am »
The agreement stands for CL nights - any chance we might play on a Thursday/Sunday?
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline joe189

• Boys Pen
  • Paddock
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2014, 10:48:37 am »
Hull are playing Saturday and Monday this week for their FA cup replay, why can't Sunderland do the same?
YNWA

Offline _Redman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:28 am »
Hull are playing Saturday and Monday this week for their FA cup replay, why can't Sunderland do the same?

you would'nt agree it was us though, would you??

Hull boss Steve Bruce and Brighton counterpart Oscar Garcia have criticised rules that mean they must replay their fifth-round FA Cup tie two days after important league games.
The two teams will meet again on Monday 24 February after matches on Saturday.
Uefa rules prevent the game being staged alongside Champions League action on Tuesday and Wednesday.
"I find that ridiculous. Is it going to be a real problem for them? I somehow doubt it," said Bruce.
"I don't think there will be many tuning out of Barcelona against Manchester City to tune into Hull versus Brighton, no disrespect."
Champions League fixtures
Tuesday 25 February: Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund; Olympiakos v Man United
Wednesday 26 February: Galatasaray v Chelsea; Schalke v Real Madrid
Yannick Sagbo's 85th-minute strike for Bruce's side cancelled out Leonardo Ulloa's opener in Brighton and Hull's first attempt to settle their last-16 meeting.
Barcelona actually visit Manchester City this Tuesday in the last 16 of the Champions League, but the FA Cup replay next Monday is in order to avoid a clash with Tuesday's meeting between Manchester United and Olympiakos, and Chelsea's match against Galatasaray the following evening.
Uefa's rules prevent top-flight sides playing domestic fixtures on the same night as its premier club tournament.
Hull, who are three points above the drop zone in the Premier League, will play relegation rivals Cardiff on the Saturday afternoon before Monday evening's replay.
Brighton, who are four points off the Championship play-off places, meet ninth-placed Wigan at home in a game that kicks off at 15:00 GMT on the same day.
"I don't think it is good for anybody to play two games in three days, but it is what we have to do and we will do it," said Garcia.
"It is not the best scenario for us, but the competition is like this."
The rule came to light when Liverpool beat Everton 3-0 in a Premier League match on Tuesday 13 March 2012 - the same night that Inter Milan and Bayern Munich beat Marseille and Basel respectively in Champions League last-16 second legs.
The Merseyside derby had been shifted to that date because of Liverpool's participation in the League Cup final earlier in the season.
Uefa claimed that the clash should not have happened as the Premier League is part of the European Professional Football Leagues body, which has agreed not to stage games on Champions League nights.
The Premier League disputed that it was bound by the agreement, saying clashes were "sometimes inevitable".
Also related to this story
Brighton 1 - 1 Hull 17 Feb 2014 FA CUP

Offline Lots of Medals

• Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:54 am »
City game in April will be moved as well assuming they stay in the cup. Could end up playing Chelsea and City in consecutive games if its rearranged for midweek.

That's not a bad thing really, we have a bit of time to get injured players fit again, tactics can be worked out in training, the games will be mid week so concentration is kept at a higher level, commitment from one game gets passed over to the next. Dropping down the league won't be good bit of a confidence jerk making for heightened pressure to get results.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:57 am »
Looking at the CL fixtures, it looks like the City game could only be either the midweek after the 12th April, or else the last week of the season in between the Crystal Palace and Newcastle games. Given City's other fixture congestion, it could be jammed somewhere else though (eg playing on a Saturday and Monday), which would be as much of a pain in the arse for us as them.

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2014, 11:44:24 am »
Annoying that the Sunderland game will have to be played in a midweek, and possibly the Man City match too.

Can't use that as an excuse though because we're the only top seven team not in another competition, so we'll just have to deal with it. If City was in between the final two games then that could be massive. Would fancy us if it was a huge game with loads riding on it, especially under the floodlights.