Author Topic: The VR/AR Revolution  (Read 36802 times)

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
Re: The VR/AR Revolution
« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2016, 01:24:48 pm »
What games are you getting? Mine is coming Thursday but I'm gonna see what impresses me on the demo disc first.

Same for me. Excited for Arkham but then I heard only an hour of gameplay.  Resident Evil sounds promising but that's 2017 I think.

"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2016, 02:15:12 pm »
As I said in another thread, I'm absolutely gutted that Resident Evil appears to be a PSVR exclusive. Everything I've played so far has been good but they all either feel short or a bit of a one trick pony. This felt like it was going to be the big one, the one that took it to another level and made the Vive purchase justified. Gutted, suppose there's still hope though!
Ahh so this is the crux of it...

"Resident Evil 7 comes to PS4, Xbox One and PC on Jan. 24, 2017. So far, only PSVR support has been revealed for VR gamers."

So it'll be out across all systems simultaneously but there may not be support for Vive or Oculus. Still hope though...

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2016, 10:58:29 am »
Ronnie O'Sullivan getting to grips with VR... :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCAi0MLxAE

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: November 1, 2016, 10:51:12 am »
Ronnie O'Sullivan getting to grips with VR... :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCAi0MLxAE
Haha! Brilliant. I can sympathise with him. I've had moments like that where I've went to put a controller down on something inside a game, only to hear the bang of it hitting the ground.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #204 on: August 2, 2017, 01:31:42 pm »
So with the Oculus Rift on offer for 400 quid, the big question is will you get 400 quid value out of it??? Any opinions?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #205 on: August 3, 2017, 11:34:39 am »
So with the Oculus Rift on offer for 400 quid, the big question is will you get 400 quid value out of it??? Any opinions?

Personally I'd just wait a bit longer, they know they are all too expensive and will try get cheaper versions out as fast as possible. If Vive can get a cheap version I'd jump on that

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 5, 2017, 12:01:54 am »
MS have released a couple of "mixed reality" HMD's recently which are priced lower than the Oculus' new price point. They also use an improved tracking solution so that you don't need multi tracking camera set ups or infra red stations around the room like the Vive. Not sure how effective it is yet, but the sets by Lenovo, ASUS, Dell and HP all use a two cameras (called "inside-out tracking") that are built into the front of the headset that detects your environment and controllers and uses that to track your movement in 3d space. The cameras can also be used to project virtual stuff into your real environment via a camera passthrough for a AR experience.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/08/microsoft-windows-10-mixed-reality-headsets-now-available/

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2017, 12:47:12 am »
Personally I'd just wait a bit longer, they know they are all too expensive and will try get cheaper versions out as fast as possible. If Vive can get a cheap version I'd jump on that

Thanks, lasted a week before I caved anyway (your comment helped), hopefully coming tomorrow :)

Although doing more research it seems that there will be cheaper options soon but less capable, either propaganda or just a realisation that they tried too hard to perfect the solution too early.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2017, 06:15:53 pm »
Thanks, lasted a week before I caved anyway (your comment helped), hopefully coming tomorrow :)

Although doing more research it seems that there will be cheaper options soon but less capable, either propaganda or just a realisation that they tried too hard to perfect the solution too early.

Hey, sod it, if you can afford it why not :) let us know what you think

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2017, 01:25:42 am »
Hey, sod it, if you can afford it why not :) let us know what you think

What do I think? First thing is that it works! maybe shouldn't be a surprise but after all the 3D bullshit for a few decades this really does work :) Driving games, which I like, are transformed, you can never go back to non-VR playing, scale as well, Elite for example is on another level compared to the "standard" way of playing. Another good thing is the kids love it, really makes them work rather than looking at shitheads on youtube. The bad thing of course is that the kids spend less time watching shitheads on youtube.

The headset is comfortable enough and there are a number of things that surprising good, Google Earth VR for example, also the Autism simulator, very easy to give real different perspectives on life. The hand things (can't remember the name) are very natural, really easy to use.

The best thing I think is that if we can do this now then what can we do in 10 years, it will be truly superb :)

Offline DadsRedArmy

• from Thetford
  • Anny Roader
  • Top 2 this season
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2017, 09:48:45 am »
Now that the price of the ps4 VR has come down, is it worth getting?, is there enough good content about for it?
I was planning on getting this for my sons at Christmas, aged 9 and 15

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2017, 11:07:26 am »
Fantastic piece of kit mate... however Sony advise not to be used by kids under the age of 12. Some great games and experiences now available and more to come.   
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2017, 11:45:35 am »
The headset is comfortable enough and there are a number of things that surprising good, Google Earth VR for example,

Never even thought about Google Earth!!!! Got hooked on it lately for the sections about travelling the world, where they show you like a story...So the VR version is like street view?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2017, 12:50:56 pm »
Worth it if you can pick one up for £200ish.

I rarely use mine now to be honest. But I will do in the future as I am just not playing VR games right now.

Dirt 4 VR is brilliant. The wires piss me off though. Wish it was Bluetooth.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline DadsRedArmy

• from Thetford
  • Anny Roader
  • Top 2 this season
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2017, 01:56:28 pm »
Fantastic piece of kit mate... however Sony advise not to be used by kids under the age of 12. Some great games and experiences now available and more to come.   

I didn't know about the age restriction!! although im sure its just Sony covering there asses

Best deal ive seen is £249.99 with GT Sport and the camera and Now TV with a 6 month subscription at GAME.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »
Was just looking at pricing and found article from May about the Vive 2. Might hang on for that

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2017, 03:56:27 pm »
I didn't know about the age restriction!! although im sure its just Sony covering there asses

Best deal ive seen is £249.99 with GT Sport and the camera and Now TV with a 6 month subscription at GAME.

kind of but i think it's to do with the size of the headset and how far/close you can move the lenses from your eyes, with kids there's a chance that even at the closest position it's too far away so they can strain their eyes trying to focus, if your kids have heads like steve bruce then you've nothing to worry about ;) even vive and oculus rift have warnings, think oculus says not for use under 13 & vive doesn't recommend use for kids

also you need to keep an eye on them for any adverse affects from the vr as it can affect people differently, i generally have no problems with the motion and can play games like farpoint & resident evil 7 with full direction control while others feel sick and need to use the incremental movement controls

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »
Its worth experiencing vr. There's a lot of good stuff out there for it. You've got the recently released Skyrim VR as well as smaller indie titles such as Thumper, Rez, Superhot. You've also got the likes of Farpoint too.

It's probably lacking a few more AAA titles aside from RE7 and Skyrim VR.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The VR/AR Revolution
« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2017, 06:08:17 pm »
Worth it if you can pick one up for £200ish.

I rarely use mine now to be honest. But I will do in the future as I am just not playing VR games right now.

Dirt 4 VR is brilliant. The wires piss me off though. Wish it was Bluetooth.

Haven’t Sony released a wireless upgrade in Japan? Hopefully it comes out on these shores in the future.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2017, 06:25:33 pm »
Haven’t Sony released a wireless upgrade in Japan? Hopefully it comes out on these shores in the future.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

no, there's an upgraded model that has the audio built into the headset instead of having separate earphones plugged in

they filed a patent earlier this year for a tracking system and there was supposedly a reference to wireless connections in there as well

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2017, 06:28:57 pm »
The new headset allows hdr pass through too

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2017, 01:59:39 am »
Now that the price of the ps4 VR has come down, is it worth getting?, is there enough good content about for it?
I was planning on getting this for my sons at Christmas, aged 9 and 15

I've always said the main concern, or long term battle, for VR in any shape or form is content. It's all about that currently, and right now the technology is still in its infancy and experimental stages, so the VR space is going to reflect this. That's not to say what's already there isn't or can't be impressive. The likes of RE7, Dirt, and now Skyrim would be worth the relatively early adoptor price alone. To experience these on a standard  TV just can't hold a candle to experiencing them in VR. I don't believe that to be a matter of opinion either. It's just a fact. The proof is in the pudding as they say, and as such these are games that aren't even built for VR from the ground up, but are enhanced by it.

Again, though, like anything else, its just having that constant trickle of content to keep it worth investing your time in. Sony have bee brilliant as far as showing that they are at least interested enough in it to do that, even if it is with older gen games, which to be fair, are perfectly suited for 1st gen VR.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:01:19 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2017, 08:29:54 am »
Yeah it is about the content. Still feel it's not gotten a bigger push with the AAA stuff. Would be great to see an established franchise really embrace it. Suppose RE7 is the only one so far. Maybe Ace Combat will be the next

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2017, 04:02:58 am »
Four Days until DOOM on the PSVR lads and lasses... and it looks incredible with full motion movement.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline DadsRedArmy

• from Thetford
  • Anny Roader
  • Top 2 this season
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2017, 04:09:49 pm »
Well I bought one for the kids  ;) not allowed to test it until Christmas morning tho  >:(

Doom on pre order !!  :D

Thanks for your help and advise people  :thumbup

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2017, 12:52:14 am »
Well I bought one for the kids  ;) not allowed to test it until Christmas morning tho  >:(

If it's the PSVR, be very careful with the lenses. They are easily scratched, and if you've to clean them - and you will do regularly - use the microfibre cloth you get with it. Don't wear glasses.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:29 am »
Never even thought about Google Earth!!!! Got hooked on it lately for the sections about travelling the world, where they show you like a story...So the VR version is like street view?

Uses all the views, street view and the 3d views so you can stand on top of mountains and go off into the distance or on top of the world or look around the a significant monument, you can browse (best word I can think of) the streets of New York or Rome for example. One personal of mine was from my family home were we always had a few mountains that formed an eagle shape in the distance, a big visual in my childhood and only with the VR and google earth could I pull myself towards the mountains to know which ones they actually where. Probs could of done it with nat survey maps but won't have been as easy or as conclusive.

My kids love YOU by sharecare, teaches them about the body and organs in detail, think innerspace (the old movie) but in VR. As my kids are all daughters I fully expect this app to fuel intense advice and direction in my formative years :)

But yeah its mostly about games but some really different cool stuff as well.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2017, 01:01:44 am »

Wouldn't worry about the age restriction other than two things:

1. The usual about age content in games - no different to everything else you expose them to
2. Games are more intensive so if gamer rage or just young kids, they easily can bin a 200-300 quid headset, they aren't fragile but not tough either

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2017, 12:12:20 pm »
Got a VR headset yesterday, the type that uses your phone. Any good 360• videos out there?  Found the one at Anfield which was quite good https://youtu.be/XTKLXQwfYfg

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2017, 03:22:06 pm »
Got a VR headset yesterday, the type that uses your phone. Any good 360• videos out there?  Found the one at Anfield which was quite good https://youtu.be/XTKLXQwfYfg
If you're searching for VR video, then make sure its 360 or 180 3d, otherwise don't bother with it.

The issue with VR video is that it's hard to find ones that are actually done right. Not only do they have to have proper 3d calibration in them for the depth, but scale too. Sometimes you'll get ones with good 3d, but the scale is fucked. Anything flat 360 is a waste of time, as its basically just flat video and everything is massive, especially people. That's not VR at all. Also, the higher the resolution, the better. If you've a Samsung with a QHD display on it, then you can search Youtube for 3d SBS videos. You'll either come across the standard 3d format, or the 180 or 360 ones. Those are VR. If you've a Gear, then Oculus provides them direct on the home screen.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2018, 05:09:54 pm »
I have entertained the idea of getting a VR headset for some time now. I'm not really interested in the most expensive one (at the moment at least), as it's more of a curiosity of trying it out than a real need for it.

What should I be looking at? Is there a great difference between tethered and mobile headsets? Are integrated headphones preferable, and what about controllers?

Would something like e.g. this one or this one be "enough" or would the experience be significantly better with a more expensive model?

The specifications for these two models doesn't really tell me anything so I don't know whether I should expect much or little from them (suppose the latter due to the prices though). There are so many models out there, and as I don't really know what to look for, I don't know what's worth it and what isn't.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2018, 12:25:21 am »
I have entertained the idea of getting a VR headset for some time now. I'm not really interested in the most expensive one (at the moment at least), as it's more of a curiosity of trying it out than a real need for it.

What should I be looking at? Is there a great difference between tethered and mobile headsets? Are integrated headphones preferable, and what about controllers?

Would something like e.g. this one or this one be "enough" or would the experience be significantly better with a more expensive model?

The specifications for these two models doesn't really tell me anything so I don't know whether I should expect much or little from them (suppose the latter due to the prices though). There are so many models out there, and as I don't really know what to look for, I don't know what's worth it and what isn't.
What you should be looking for is experiencing VR at at least to some degree where it's showcasing some of the potential it has in terms of playing games. What I mean is you don't want to try some half arsed headset or game and come away with a bad experience that will give you a false impression of it, and there are plenty of things out there that will do that.

My advice is to, at the very least, try a headset that has the full 6 degrees of motion. Mobile phone devices can't do this. You can only look side-to-side, up down, and around. You can't move through space. That's not to say you can't get a good experience with that, but its limited. A VR cinema app on a Gear VR for example, is still brilliant. If you can, try that first. It wont make you sick, and its immersive enough to give you an idea of whats possible. It really does feel like you are sitting in front of a giant cinema screen inside an actual cinema. Try ebay for the Gear VR. You'll get one for about 20 quid, even if its used, don't worry about it. As I say, though, it might be OK if you've not experience a proper HMD, but trying one with a wider FOV, better screen, better visuals, and the full tracking is night and day. Try and get on a PSVR or a Rift if you can. Pretty much guarantee if you do, you'll want one.

Oh, just to be clear, those mobile headsets are just shells to put your phone into. I'm sure you already knew that, though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:27:33 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2018, 11:21:14 am »
Cheers for the info Macphisto!

Ebay was a good shout for the Gear VR, there are good prices indeed. It seems to be a good one to begin with, and then I'll see if I get an opportunity to try the Rift or similar. I've also seen VR cinemas with moving seats and everything, which also would be cool to try one day!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 1, 2018, 12:52:12 pm »
Did a VR experience at the IMAX VR Trafford centre last night

Was really cool.  They have a promotion on at the moment where you get a a VR ticket with each cinema ticket you buy.

There are loads to choose from but I did the Space Flight experience.   For those unaware like i was before last night, You sit in a comfy leather arm chair, have the VR headset and earphones strapped on and away you go.

Spoiler
Went up in a Space Shuttle and was flying around admiring the galaxy in 360° before being caught up in an asteroid field.  The ship took that much debris damage I was ejected from the craft in my seat.  Was really cool feeling like i was floating in space looking down where my legs are and seeing my spacesuit legs dangling and nothing but stars and planet earth below
[close]

Great fun.  Promotion is on till September apparently so I'm gonna do the Paranormal Activity experience in a few weeks when we go see the new Ant-man.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: August 1, 2018, 12:58:33 pm »
The prices aren't really budging are they?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 1, 2018, 07:17:12 pm »
The prices aren't really budging are they?
They have.

The Rift, Vive and PSVR have all had pretty big price reductions, and are now being shipped with all inclusive bundles.

Then there's these:

Next - or should I say - 1st gen knuckle controllers from Valve, which will be sold separately, and will be the next big thing in terms of VR interaction. They're capable of tracking your fingers for accurate hand gestures and poses without feeling like you're holding something. Should be compatible with the mixed reality headsets from MS.

Whenever the second generation headsets come, that's where the market will become saturated enough so prices can come down even further. VR is still a niche product, and for what it is, paying 400 for a Rift and getting everything you need isn't bad.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 2, 2018, 11:25:04 am »
They have.

The Rift, Vive and PSVR have all had pretty big price reductions, and are now being shipped with all inclusive bundles.

Then there's these:

Next - or should I say - 1st gen knuckle controllers from Valve, which will be sold separately, and will be the next big thing in terms of VR interaction. They're capable of tracking your fingers for accurate hand gestures and poses without feeling like you're holding something. Should be compatible with the mixed reality headsets from MS.

Whenever the second generation headsets come, that's where the market will become saturated enough so prices can come down even further. VR is still a niche product, and for what it is, paying 400 for a Rift and getting everything you need isn't bad.

Fair enough. I was mainly talking about the Rift which I'm sure was £399 when I checked back in 2017 and are still £399. Like others in this thread I'm very curious to try one (never tried any VR) but I can't justify 400 quid just yet given the lack of VR content/titles. Seems like the technology is still in its infancy to a certain extent. I'll probably wait for the 2nd gens to come out and hopefully the prices will drop below £300 (any idea when that is?)
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 2, 2018, 07:43:31 pm »
Second gen is about 2 to 3 years off. Oculus are developing a brand new headset (called 'Half Dome') that has a 140 degree FOV, eye tracking, varifocal and 4k per eye display. The immersion something like that will produce will be mind blowing, but you can bet your balls that it won't be cheap. That's going to be the nature of VR. It's brand new technology that works now regardless of its issues, so anything new and improved isn't going to cost buttons. Similar to a mobile phone, and people pay up to a grand for those things when they are new, so paying 400 now for an Oculus and its controllers isn't bad in context to what it offers. There's plenty of content out there for VR. It might not be the fullest potential, but I can promise you once you even experience a older game in VR, the outlay will feel justified. I'm currently playing Skyrim in VR, and every single time I put that headset on, I'm amazed by it. I'm not playing the game. I'm actually inside it. I'd say for what I paid for the PSVR, Resident Evil 7 and Skyrim alone has been worth it.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2018, 07:46:41 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #238 on: August 2, 2018, 08:26:23 pm »
Wireless tech is the biggest obstacle for me, not interested in being stuck in a seat I want to move around the world - without wires I can trip on. Really enjoyed the PSVR I have to say, but I wanted more ;D

HTC's Wireless I'm guessing will be something like £350+, as resolutions increase I'm not sure when the price lowers.

EDIT - It already does 4k, just need the price lower on that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvclmgxSdfI
« Last Edit: August 2, 2018, 08:36:48 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 2, 2018, 10:11:42 pm »
Remember it's not 4k, but 2k per eye. Another thing, which is more important, are the pixel and sub-pixel density. PPI has a bigger impact than just simply ramming up the resolution. The PSVR, for example, has a better screen than the Vive and Oculus, and despite it being a lower resolution, it doesn't matter as the image quality is comparable due to the OLED having no real gaps between pixels and having no screen door effect. Sony are working on brand new screen tech, apparently, for their new VR, concentrating on the PPI, which should mean a far clearer image overall.