Author Topic: Michael Thomas debut..  (Read 7001 times)

Offline Sufian

• Main Stander
  • Behind Every Great Fortunes, There is a crime
    • Under Construction
Michael Thomas debut..
« on: July 30, 2005, 05:44:44 am »
During souness era, I hadn't much access to tv to watch football and the news. I was wondering how did you guys take it when you first heard about the former Arsenal player Michael Thomas (nevermind explaining what he did in the late 80s at anfield) signing for us ... what was his reception in his first game for Liverpool?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 08:57:34 am by Rushian »
Liverpool Football Club is the best thing that God ever gave me

Offline BrianL

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Michael Thomas debut..
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 06:02:45 am »
as far as i remember he was welcomed warmly. After all he hadn't done anything wrong, just scored for his team.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 06:05:33 am »
From what I can remember there were no problems. Although I never attended his debut.

I do remember MT was a bit pissed off at the commentators always mentioning that goal whenever MT was playing for us.
And after he scored in the FA cup final in 92, he said in an interview post match, he hoped the goal he'd just scored would "shut Jimmy Hill up" with reference to the arsenal goal at anfield.

He obviously has some affection for us, because he plays for the Liverpool Masters team, rather than the Arsenal one.
He was also in Istanbul.  A poster here wrote, he was sitting next to him on the plane and they had a few drinks, while MT was waiting for Fowler and Mcmannaman to arrive....
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 08:57:10 am »
During souness era, I hadn't much access to tv to watch football and the news. I was wondering how did you guys take it when you first heard about the former Arsenal player Michael Thomas (nevermind explaining what he did in the late 80s at anfield) signing for us ... what was his reception in his first game for Liverpool?

I can't remember any negative reaction. As for now Michael still lives in the area and regularly attends matches at Anfield.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline muleskinner

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 09:11:25 am »
I think he was unfairly maligned by a lot of fans because of that goal and could not do any right for some people.
"Brothers and sisters, I want to see a sea of hands out there. I want to see a sea of hands. I want to see a little revolution out there. "

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 09:54:44 am »
I think we'd have won the championship if Evans hadn't have dropped him for Redknapp who was returning from injury.  For the majority of the season, him and Barnes in the middle were superb.
Always liked the bloke (sunny Friday night's in May apart) - he was a 100% type player, knew what he was good at and stuck to it.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 10:36:57 am »
I think we'd have won the championship if Evans hadn't have dropped him for Redknapp who was returning from injury.  For the majority of the season, him and Barnes in the middle were superb.

I remember when MT was dropped.
I wasn't a huge fan of Redknapp. He couldn't put a through ball through. Always to the side.

"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Sufian

• Main Stander
    • Under Construction
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 10:44:43 am »

yea, MT and barnsey was one good midfield partnership. There were occasions when Roy deployed him at the back (with ruddock n wrighty) and did superbly well.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 11:09:18 am »
remember his winner against villa in the fa cup quarters, brilliant day that. we had an injury ravaged side with barnes playing with an injury setting him up through the middle at the kop end.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline okcomputer

• Fuckwit
  • Kopite
  • Red Red Wine Stay Close to Me
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 12:23:37 pm »
his debut was against Spurs at Whiteheart lane in 1991, Spurs fans booed hiom to death, i didnt like that, he was one of ours now. His goal in the 1992 cup final helped repay the damage he did in '89.
Jimmy Hill was wrong, I thought he was a 'Liverpool player' and yes we could have won the league in '97 if we had played him more.

Doesnt sisoko look a bit like him?
Quote from: mrsphilthefish on 20/10/07 at 04:28:32 PM
A red jumped up when we scored and some bluenose jumped up and said "fuck off out you. How did you get a ticket in here you fucking red gobshite?"
To which the red replied "coz YOU couldn't sell your tickets to your fucking own, they even went on fucking general sale for fucks sake. So I put s

Offline BrianL

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 12:35:29 pm »
anyhow, why do you ask?

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 02:07:04 pm »
still remember the goal v villa in the quarters, kop went wildddd!!   many fans i knew preferred him to redknapp.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 02:10:27 pm »
Shame he had that injury (achiles?) that, like Barnes, robbed him of his pace. Had a very good 1995/95 though.

Offline slapnuts

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 02:12:21 pm »
fowler and macca went to the bul?

class.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 03:03:55 pm »
Was quite hard at first to get used to the fact that a) he was an Arsenal player & b) he scored THAT goal.

It was like getting in bed with the person responsible for a loved ones death (see Monsters Ball).

I did take to him eventually and he scored quite a few good goals like the cup final one.

He looks great in 96/97 and I agree that we probably wouldve won the league had Evans kept that Thomas/Barnes partnership. Even tho Redders was quite clearly a more talented player, Thomas was better defensively, which was (as we all know) our biggest weakness those days
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Sufian

• Main Stander
    • Under Construction
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 05:16:55 pm »
anyhow, why do you ask?

just wondering... cos i thought back then, it was a bit ironic to sign a player who cost you the championship. but then again i was 12 when he signed for liverpool..

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 05:46:57 pm »
I've seen clips of Jimmy Hill, and he seems to be a very shady character; can anyone fill in some information on the guy?
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 06:06:50 pm »
I've seen clips of Jimmy Hill, and he seems to be a very shady character; can anyone fill in some information on the guy?
Jimmy Hill is the only person in the history of football to have been player, coach, manager, director and finally chairman of a Football League Club.  This experience has given him a unique insight to the game, its passions and its problems It is for this reason that Jimmy has become on of the most influential figures in Football within this country. 

In 1961 he led the Players Union in its successful struggle to lift the £20.00 maximum wage. Between 1961 and 1966, as manager, he took Coventry City from the Third to the 1st division (now the Premier League), where they have remained ever since.  In 1968 he became Head of Sport at London Weekend Television and rose to Deputy Controller of Programmes, before joining the BBC as presenter of "Match of the Day".Since 1973 he has made over 600 appearances in "Match of the Day" and many more in other BBC sporting flagships, "Sportsnight" and "Grandstand".  He has appeared in every one of either ITV or BBC's coverage of the World Cup and European Championships since 1966.
He was Chairman of Fulham Football Club, the club for whom he played in 300 games as a professional between 1953 and 1961.

Info lifted from his site

:wave

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 06:10:22 pm »
Between 1961 and 1966, as manager, he took Coventry City from the Third to the 1st division (now the Premier League), where they have remained ever since.

:o
needs updating!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 06:17:35 pm by Steven Gerrard »
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2005, 07:15:23 pm »
I remember when MT was dropped.
I wasn't a huge fan of Redknapp. He couldn't put a through ball through. Always to the side.

1995/96 when we went on a run of something like 23 games undefeated with Thomas in the side. One defeat, and he was dropped for the returning Redknapp for the Villa semi final. The season went downhill after the Newcastle game 3/4 days later.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 07:18:54 pm by stoz »

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2005, 07:25:50 pm »

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Dr. Funs Doll

• Anny Roader
  • Liverpool are magic Everton are tragic
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 08:45:59 pm »
shady is right.........
his chin casts one big enough

that info fails to mention his brief stint as a linesman
I was there front row, woodbine behind one ear, giving the twat abuse throughout

can now be seen on sky, with crumbs round his face mumbling to himself while knobhead journalists enlighten viewers with their expert football knowledge
THE LIVERPOOL BOYS ARE IN TOWN   ..na na na nanananana..............

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 09:54:45 pm »
Lives on the Wirral and runs a company that advises rich and famous people on personal security I think.He was on our plane to Istanbul and stayed in our hotel. He gave the mancs some good stick,when we landed at Manchester.See him at most home games, he sits in the Main Stand overlooking the away fans.Evans made a big mistake in the 95/96 season when he dropped him and brought Redknapp back.The whole team seemed to lose shape and the midfield never recovered.Through away a great chance of doing the double.
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 10:50:03 pm »
Lives on the Wirral and runs a company that advises rich and famous people on personal security I think.He was on our plane to Istanbul and stayed in our hotel. He gave the mancs some good stick,when we landed at Manchester.See him at most home games, he sits in the Main Stand overlooking the away fans.

I was thinkin you was talking about Jimmy Hill then until the next sentence, i was thinkin are you sure mate ? ;D

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 11:05:30 pm »
I was thinkin you was talking about Jimmy Hill then until the next sentence, i was thinkin are you sure mate ? ;D

;D
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 11:22:21 pm »

same here! for a minute i was thinking what the fuck??!!  :D
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 01:47:20 am »
made me chuckle. that spot of confusion. it would be funny if jimmy hill was secretly attending liverpool games for years but only the guy sat next to him had noticed.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2005, 02:31:45 pm »
I thought Michael Thomas wa a geat player.  I also remember him as a very young man, who along with (a young) David Rocastle, and was it Sean Davis?, were playing exciting football for Arsenal.  Sounds like a top bloke from the above reports.

As for Jimmy Hill, I recall Carlton Palmer was his favourite player.  I remember him once saying on BBC, live, "My man Carlton Palmer!".  I thought it was hilarious!

Offline SimonW

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2005, 02:55:17 pm »
Paul Davis it was. Think both him and Rocastle are dead now. I know Rocastle definately is. Maybe not Davis. RIP

Offline dom_d

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Come on you Mighty Reds
« Reply #29 on: August 1, 2005, 04:38:49 pm »

Me too.

Although I'd have loved to have seen Jimmy Hill giving the Mancs stick.

;D
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 1, 2005, 05:05:32 pm »
Paul Davis it was. Think both him and Rocastle are dead now. I know Rocastle definately is. Maybe not Davis. RIP

Davis is defo not dead as he was playing for the Arse in the masters a couple of weeks ago.

Rocastle died of cancer or some other horrible disease.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 1, 2005, 05:23:24 pm »
Rocastle was special.
Anyway, has anyone noticed the similarity beteween Michael Thomas and San Francisco Wide reciever legend Jerry Rice?

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 1, 2005, 05:58:29 pm »
Rocastle was special.

Remeber him scoring a fantastic goal in a League Cup tie at Anfield in 1988. Controlled and volleyed into the far corner all in one movement. John Barnes' goal that night was pretty special too. Haven't seen those goals for years as they're not on any of the season reviews, but if there are any videos that have them on (maybe that seasons League cup review or something?), it'd be worth buying for those two alone.

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #33 on: August 1, 2005, 09:48:14 pm »
Wasn't sure at first, what are we doing buying a player that scored the goal that cost us the title but as said already he was doing his job for his team.
He never let us down though and like many others I thought he was a better player than Redknapp and defended well, scored some great goals aswell as mentioned.
Seen at Anfield many times, top bloke. Saw him saturday at the fans day.

Offline MissLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: August 1, 2005, 09:57:40 pm »

Likewise ;D

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
« Reply #35 on: August 1, 2005, 09:59:50 pm »
Michael was soubd. Four goals stick out in my memory: Villa in the Cup already been mentioned, Oldham away the same season , Cup Final against Sunderland same season and a really boss one at West Ham in the 96-97 season I think which had even the West Ham fans singing his praises after the match. Heard he we was a top boogier too.
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 07:40:01 pm »
Five year bump

Just watching him chat with Claire on .tv - had to laugh when he mentioned during an anecdote about
playing the "dirty mancs". ;D
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 07:46:04 pm »
i liked thomas especially when he got the first goal v sunderland @16/1 in the cup final!!!!!!!!!
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Lagersuper

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool, Oasis, Weller...that'll do for me
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 09:09:11 pm »
At the risk of taking the thread back to Jimmy Hill....wasn't he the bloke responsible for changing it from two points for a win up to three?
S.O.S Member - 5447

Unashamedly missing Rafa Benitez

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 09:14:11 pm »
Was one of my favourite players for us under Souness. Thought he was great at times. And the club had an affect on him and he remains loyal to us to this day.
Always remember his cross to Houghton at the end of the Man U game where we beat them so Leeds could win the title...

Ending with "Walteeeeeers!"
 :D
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.