Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75583 times)

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
Still not convinced Hyypia got anything on that

Me neither but still from a Stevie G free kick.
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

Offline Chip

• Kemlynite
  • All in!
    • The most worst forum in the net.
I agree with that post mate. But i have a bit of a wacky view on this. Basically, every member of our team SHOULD be able to ping a good ball in from the flank so i think the crucial thing to do is make sure the taker isnt someboday that could be used more effectively elsewhere. So i agree that Stevie G should be lurking around the edge of the box, and i think that whoever wants to take them should.

Ive seen Baros, gerrard, Alonso , Garcia , Riise , Kewell and Smicer all take corners, and none of them stand out as being better than one another.

Offline Dan The Man

• Kopite
  • We won it 5 times, In Istanbul we won 5 times
Although some people may disagree even though Stevies ball in on Sat this vast majority of his free kicks and corners are extremley poor, still don't understand why he has to take every one.

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
That was the first decent free/corner Stevie has manged in weeks.

He can do it; but not consistently; and that's the problem I think.  NONE of the (even Xabi) is that good at set-pieces. HK can do it sometimes, but Stevie at least has the bottle (and stubbornness ) to keep banging them in. Tho he would often be more use in th box/on the edge of the 'D'

Online Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Finnan or Nunez should be our set piece takers imo.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline robbie77

• Kopite
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #85 on: February 7, 2005, 06:46:35 pm »
Nunez shouldn't even be in the first 16 on current form !!!!!!! Finnan for me. SG on and around the box.
I fucking hate Mancs.......Arrogant c*nts

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #86 on: March 6, 2006, 10:06:33 am »
Although some people may disagree even though Stevies ball in on Sat this vast majority of his free kicks and corners are extremley poor, still don't understand why he has to take every one.

Gerrard is without contest one of the worst cornertakers I've ever seen. 75% of his corners is cleared by the defender on the 1st post. And it seems like he's uncapable of adjusting... The same thing goes for free-kicks, even if they are slightly better.

Our scoring record at corners are poor. I doubt there are many teams that have got more corners this season then us. But still we have scored only a couple of goals.

We have a collossus in Sami in there, and a couple of decent headers as well (Kewell, Carra...), but still Gerrard's delivery leads to noting.

Gerrard is pretty good in the air as well, so there is one argument alone that he sould stay in the box.

I would let Riise have a go. A couple of years ago he spent many hours on specializing on corners. He delivered them very accurate for the norwegian national team, until Gamst Pedersen came in and took over. If we're looking for inswinging corners Finnan could have a go perhaps from the left?

I don't know who would be the best one...but I DO know that Gerrard isn't the solution.
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline Luis Garcia scores again

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: March 6, 2006, 10:10:52 am »
our strikers aren't confident. We don't like we have a GAME PLAN.

Someone on the near post, someone on the far post and someone in the middle.

But no GAME PLAN.

Offline Ginge

• Kemlynite
« Reply #88 on: March 6, 2006, 10:46:29 am »
hardly ever get them over and when we do theres  nothing on the end of them why does stevie take them? shud be alonso Gerard's not a bad headerer of the ball.
KEEP FANS SCOUSE!!!

NO MORE WOOLS!!!

Offline wigjonnyp

• Big Puff
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #89 on: March 6, 2006, 10:55:41 am »
Gerrard is without contest one of the worst cornertakers I've ever seen. 75% of his corners is cleared by the defender on the 1st post. And it seems like he's uncapable of adjusting... The same thing goes for free-kicks, even if they are slightly better.

Our scoring record at corners are poor. I doubt there are many teams that have got more corners this season then us. But still we have scored only a couple of goals.

We have a collossus in Sami in there, and a couple of decent headers as well (Kewell, Carra...), but still Gerrard's delivery leads to noting.

Gerrard is pretty good in the air as well, so there is one argument alone that he sould stay in the box.

I would let Riise have a go. A couple of years ago he spent many hours on specializing on corners. He delivered them very accurate for the norwegian national team, until Gamst Pedersen came in and took over. If we're looking for inswinging corners Finnan could have a go perhaps from the left?

I don't know who would be the best one...but I DO know that Gerrard isn't the solution.

I agree, I don't even get remotely exited when we get a corner now.

Very rarely beat the first man, and mainly NO ONE ATTACKS THE FUCKING BALL, which is really beginning to piss me off.

Like you say we have got a team full of 6 foot + players and we don't even win the headers.
Posh Spice is a slag,
She's got a sweaty greaser
And when she's shagging Beckham
She thinks of Jonny Riise!!

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #90 on: March 6, 2006, 11:00:18 am »
Got to agree that Gerrard should not be taking them, but Alonso? His dead balls are so often overhit or underhit it's untrue for someone with as much class as he has. I think this is part of the problem - where Gerrard is poor with corners I've seen a fair few ocassions this season where it has been swapped around and to be honest, the others haven't fared any better. Of course, this would have been a benefit of signing Figo - we'd have someone who could take a dead ball better and Gerrard would be free at set pieces in or around the box.

I'm pleased to note that Pennant is a Rafa target because he can deliver an excellent cross - that should help our set piece situation next season if we get him or someone like him - because everyone can see that we lack nothing in height with the likes of Carra, Sami, Crouch, Mori etc. in and around the box at set pieces.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Luis Garcia scores again

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: March 6, 2006, 11:02:18 am »
NO ONE ATTACKS THE FUCKING BALL,

The problem in a nut shell.

In the box you have to go at the ball like your life depends on it.

Our blokes act like heading the ball might mess up their hair.

Blaaaaaaaaaaah.

Get your bloody hair messed up, you poofs.

Offline Scousemouse

• Kemlynite
« Reply #92 on: March 6, 2006, 11:10:47 am »
I'd like to see someone other than Gerrard take them......his delivery is appalling and he very rarely clears the first man on the near post
"I knew it would be diffrent if we scored....we scored and it was diffrent"

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #93 on: March 6, 2006, 11:21:26 am »
bring back danny murphy ;)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #94 on: March 6, 2006, 11:32:15 am »
Gerrard is good in the air oand on the edge, but is awful at corners, Murphy was great but I think Finnan or Xabi or Kewel, no to Gerrard

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #95 on: March 6, 2006, 11:56:17 am »
Gerrard is good in the air oand on the edge, but is awful at corners, Murphy was great but I think Finnan or Xabi or Kewel, no to Gerrard

still garcia for me, if he's on the pitch if not kewell all the way
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #96 on: March 6, 2006, 12:02:30 pm »
You have to wonder why someone doesnt say something to him or at least figure out for himself to get it in a more dangerous spot.

i and the same with riise and those wasteful fucking throws, Rafa lad have a word!

phil_j_420

« Reply #97 on: March 6, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »
Whats all this business about playing Corners short for someone else to fire into the box,
when it comes off it doesnt seem to make any difference in terms of the end result,
and some times we dont even get the ball into the box, becasue the short recipient gives the ball away.

Seems like a waste of a corner to me.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #98 on: March 6, 2006, 12:05:48 pm »
Whats all this business about playing Corners short for someone else to fire into the box,
when it comes off it doesnt seem to make any difference in terms of the end result,
and some times we dont even get the ball into the box, becasue the short recipient gives the ball away.

Seems like a waste of a corner to me.

in fairness we have scored once im certain of this way but i think twice which is better than from normal deliveries

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: March 6, 2006, 12:31:16 pm »
Times have changed and defending is much improved (with all the blocking and un-punished shirt pulling) so not many teams score from corners. The fact that we get a lot of corners jsut makes us look even worse at it.

Chelsea are probably the exception as Terry attacks a ball so well.

The most dangerous we have been in recent years was when Gary Mac used to drop that ball on the near post for Sami or Heskey.

I agree though that Stevie shouldn't take them as he's most likely to score from a ball breaking around the box.

Probably Kewell for me from the right and perhaps Finnan from the left.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #100 on: March 6, 2006, 12:32:31 pm »
you prefer the old out-swinging corner kicks then :)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 6, 2006, 12:34:26 pm »
you prefer the old out-swinging corner kicks then :)
In swingers for me just dropping in the front third of the goal across the six yard box. It's too hard to score from 12 yards out with a header under pressure.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #102 on: March 6, 2006, 12:37:34 pm »
In swingers for me just dropping in the front third of the goal across the six yard box. It's too hard to score from 12 yards out with a header under pressure.

aye that's what i meant :butt

Offline stststst

• Anny Roader
  • We won it 5 times..
« Reply #103 on: March 6, 2006, 12:48:38 pm »
At which end ?

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 6, 2006, 01:04:23 pm »
Gerrard's corners aren't as bad as people make out. They're improved a fair bit over the last year. There's still the odd delivery that doesn't beat the first man but there's also plenty that are crossed in well but nobody gets on the end of it. I put more of the blame on the people in the box to be honest, not attacking the ball well enough and so on.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #105 on: March 6, 2006, 01:07:12 pm »
Gerrard's corners aren't as bad as people make out. They're improved a fair bit over the last year. There's still the odd delivery that doesn't beat the first man but there's also plenty that are crossed in well but nobody gets on the end of it. I put more of the blame on the people in the box to be honest, not attacking the ball well enough and so on.

i agree, he has improved, as have his free kicks. still rather someone better took them though

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #106 on: March 6, 2006, 02:07:52 pm »
For £60,000+ a week, you'd expect inch perfect delivery every bloody time. It's a farce when the calibre of players we have can't swing a dead ball in to beat the first man. Only one thing that can be drawn from this: we're looking everytime for a run from a player to the near post.

Like others have said, a corner means fuck all of recent, we just don't seem to be able to do anything with them. You know a corner has been pulled off correctly when Carra gets on the end of it, ehmmm......equating to about 4 well taken corners a season (nothng on Carra there).

The problem breeds another question. Why is Gerrard taking the corners, when he should be on the edge of the box to bury it back in? This being the Scholes/Lampard position, and in my view he should be there, foraging for lose balls that come back out of the box. Might as well get Reina to take the corners, Gerrard isn't providing much from that situtation.

Lets buy Beckham ::)
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 6, 2006, 02:09:56 pm »
Gary Mac was superb at corners, think we took him for granted then, shame we didn't look n learn when he was with us.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline myrlas