Author Topic: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures  (Read 685692 times)

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures
« Reply #1240 on: June 6, 2012, 02:54:18 pm »
some old Shoot magazine pics cobbled together from ebay:

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1241 on: June 6, 2012, 02:57:26 pm »

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1242 on: June 6, 2012, 03:06:28 pm »
Loving this thread. I must be knocking on a bit. I keep getting wet eyed and a lump in me throat, every time I look back in here. Some great stuff. Thanks for putting the pics up, but I can't help but think we've lost something. Oh well, onwards and upwards.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: June 6, 2012, 03:21:52 pm »
cheers FS, yeah the old pics can make you a bit misty eyed.

a few more...

love this one, '73 UEFA Cup final with Shanks, Bob and Moran.
love Shanks' expression looking into the camera, with Bob chatting to the fans in the background.

Bob and Joey Jones:

Bob and the '78 European Cup:

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1244 on: June 6, 2012, 03:29:04 pm »
Thanks for putting the pics up, but I can't help but think we've lost something. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Enjoy reading your posts FS, and keep and eye out for them. However i do feel that you perpetuate an inevitable certainty when you suggest we've lost something. Time do change... that's a fact of life, for better or worse.

But if you keep saying something enough and keep repeating that point over and over again it becomes self prophesying, you will it to be so, so it is so.

You broke an inevitability once, by helping to change the course of the direction that the club was taking under previous owners. That in itself demonstrated that we can affect positive change on our club, perhaps that's worth remembering when putting the writing on the wall that our club as would like to be remembered is dead and buried.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1245 on: June 6, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »
PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD. Its awesome. Easily the best thread along with Art Vandelays photo one.

Em5y thats brilliant.

Bob with the cup....i'm filling up again...
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #1246 on: June 6, 2012, 03:42:08 pm »
I wonder why this thread went unnoticed for so long, it's great to see all these memories in one place
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: June 6, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »
1981 League Cup final against the Hammers.
love those old Umbro tops.

from Scoop magazine.
I remember having some of these pics on my wall as a kid.
amazing how the memory works.

Offline kdorg

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1248 on: June 6, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »
Those Shoot magazine pics are awesome  made me think of this pic

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: June 6, 2012, 05:32:05 pm »
Those Shoot magazine pics are awesome  made me think of this pic

wow that's great.
what a team that was.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: June 6, 2012, 05:40:48 pm »
Great thread this.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: June 6, 2012, 10:42:04 pm »

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1252 on: June 7, 2012, 12:20:34 am »
really appreciate the posts lads, what a great thread. great memories

Offline kdorg

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1253 on: June 7, 2012, 08:45:25 am »
Great work again em5y - though I think there would have been more red ties

I'm gonna dig around on the external hard drive and see if I can find some more photos

royhendo

« Reply #1254 on: June 7, 2012, 09:13:53 am »
Man, that's pure Reservoir Dogs there. Superb stuff all round!

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: June 7, 2012, 09:42:15 am »
Great great thread. Just went through it, took me an hour and a half. haha

If it's not too much of a hastle, this should be a sticky.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #1256 on: June 7, 2012, 12:51:20 pm »
The first four legends are easy  but it's doing my head in so can some one please tell me who's on the far right of the picture ?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline JRobinson

• Main Stander
« Reply #1257 on: June 7, 2012, 01:11:38 pm »
The first four legends are easy  but it's doing my head in so can some one please tell me who's on the far right of the picture ?
Reuben Bennett, and I want to say that the gent on the far right is Tom Saunders, but I'm not 100% certain.

Offline kdorg

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1258 on: June 7, 2012, 01:18:01 pm »
Reuben Bennett, and I want to say that the gent on the far right is Tom Saunders, but I'm not 100% certain.

You're right it is Tom Saunders on the far right

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: June 7, 2012, 01:18:36 pm »
is it Tom Saunders on the far right, with Reuben Bennett inside him?

*edit too slow, guess it is then!

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #1260 on: June 7, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »

Ruben Bennett and next to him is Ronnie Moran and i was fortunate enough to be coached by all of them except Ronnie Moran
« Last Edit: June 7, 2012, 01:28:02 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #1261 on: June 7, 2012, 01:25:00 pm »

This isn't actually the league trophy it's the Curlett Cup! My uncles, uncle made the cup and ran on the pitch and presented it to the players. I think Everton still had the actual league trophy and wouldn't give it back until the end of the season, so my uncles, uncle made this and gave it to them to parade it around the pitch. True story.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: June 7, 2012, 01:25:55 pm »
wow that's great.
what a team that was.

Jesus we've had some teams down through the years

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: June 7, 2012, 01:27:00 pm »
is it Tom Saunders on the far right, with Reuben Bennett inside him?

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: June 7, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »
I think Everton still had the actual league trophy and wouldn't give it back until the end of the season...

:lmao

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #1265 on: June 12, 2012, 07:46:45 pm »
This isn't actually the league trophy it's the Curlett Cup! My uncles, uncle made the cup and ran on the pitch and presented it to the players. I think Everton still had the actual league trophy and wouldn't give it back until the end of the season, so my uncles, uncle made this and gave it to them to parade it around the pitch. True story.
sounds like Everton allright.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #1266 on: June 12, 2012, 08:30:40 pm »
A few personal favourites.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: June 13, 2012, 10:33:52 am »

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: June 13, 2012, 01:36:36 pm »
On 18th April 1964 when the Reds went into their last home game with Arsenal knowing that victory would guarantee them the title, only for the trophy to be kept firmly under lock and key just 800 yards away at Goodison.

This was due to a bitter blue board who couldn't handle Liverpool's new found popularity and were reeling from the loss of one of their star players due to match fixing.

Liverpool's lead in the 1st division was so convincing that it was a case of when, not if, they would be crowned champions. Defeat against Arsenal would not be a disaster as there were still three more games to play, although they were all away from home. But having not won the league for 17 years, you can imagine how desperate the fans were to see things wrapped up at Anfield.

The players, who were proud to play for a Kop that had got behind them in formidable fashion all season, wanted the fans to share in their triumph too. Nobody was disappointed, as Liverpool overcame an early missed penalty by Arsenal to win 5-0, all the goals coming in the first 60 minutes.

However, come the end of the game, the players had to parade around with a papiermache version of the championship trophy that had been made by a fan.

The deposed champions at the time were Everton and when challenged about why they still had the trophy, they claimed that they had offered to give it back to the Football League who said something along the lines of 'no, keep hold of it, the season isn't over yet, we'll present the trophy to the eventual champions at an end of season dinner'.

This excuse is very feeble indeed and to find the real reasons we have to look at the nature of each Merseyside clubs title successes and the nasty surprise Blues manager Harry Catterick received the previous Sunday morning as he was about to tuck into his bacon and eggs.

Everton's title success in 1962-3 was not universally acclaimed. They were dubbed the 'cheque book champions' after being bankrolled by Littlewoods founder John Moores. Catterick had spent £175,000 during the 1961-2 season and then a further £60,000 and £40,000 in 1962-3 on Tony Kay and Alex Scott.

Bill Shankly, on the other hand gradually developed a team from the depths of the 2nd division, grooming youngsters to play along the big signings St John and Yeats, who’s transfer fees combined hadn't cost much more than Kay's. When he broke Liverpool's transfer record again in the summer of 1963 to sign Peter Thompson, the fee was still a relatively small £40,000.

Liverpool swept all before them in 1963-4, relying on solid teamwork rather than individual brilliance to win the title and they were far more popular champions than Everton. The singing Anfield crowd was becoming legendary too and was the subject of a BBC Panorama documentary made at the Arsenal game.

In addition to having popular fans and players, Liverpool had a much more media friendly manager, Shanks always being great for a quote. Contrast this to the undertaker-like Catterick who hardly ever said a word, never smiled and made his players sign in at Bellfield every morning.

Considering he was a miserable sod at the best of times, you can imagine Catterick must have been in a foul mood on the morning of Sunday 12th April 1964, knowing that the Reds were just one week away from the title while his own team had just drawn 3-3 at home to Wolves.

Things were about to get a lot worse. Opening the Sunday People, which you could trust to tell the truth back then, he read that his record signing had taken a bung to lose a game while he was a player at Sheffield Wednesday, as part of a nationwide betting scandal.

Already robbed of his title, the player who Catterick was relying on to win it back for him the year after was about to be banned for life and sent to jail. So a week later Ron Yeats was forced to run round Anfield with a Blue Peter inspired version due to the bitterness of the Blues who were raging at the popularity of LFC and the fact their star signing had been exposed as a cheat.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Great photos of days gone by
« Reply #1269 on: October 4, 2012, 03:58:48 pm »

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #1270 on: October 24, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »
A couple from the 1977 European Cup Final in Rome:
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:17 pm »
1965 FA Cup winners, for the first time in our history:

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1272 on: October 25, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »
Shanks discussing tactics with Sir Bob. Who's the 3rd guy ?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1273 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »
Shanks discussing tactics with Sir Bob. Who's the 3rd guy ?

Tommy Doc isn't it?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: October 26, 2012, 07:59:35 am »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Old Photograph Collection
« Reply #1275 on: March 1, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »
Has anybody seen this before?

Have Tweeted (@hartejack) if anybody feels inclined to share.

Got a stash of old photographs here.  Touched-up originals, I believe (you can see marking/shading at certain angles).  Not quite sure what to do with them.

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
Re: Old Photograph Collection
« Reply #1276 on: March 1, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »
great pic that id send a copy to Jockey & Terry and share the rest with us
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: March 1, 2013, 03:52:13 pm »
Great photo that thanks Jack. Terry Mac looks like the fucking singer out of REO Speedwagon though.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1278 on: March 1, 2013, 03:54:12 pm »
great pic that id send a copy to Jockey & Terry and share the rest with us

Have Tweeted to Terry, MOTD, and the King in the hope that it gets a bit of exposure.

I've been sat on these (there's, at a guess, 50 photos from about 78-84) for quite a while but I'm just a bit unsure of the copyright situation as regards sharing/donating them.  The majority have notes, names (photographer/caption/author), and stamps (publication) on the back.

Offline micksmith

• Main Stander
  • We all wish our hair was as pristine as Hendo's
« Reply #1279 on: March 1, 2013, 04:25:18 pm »
Hilarious find that mate. Where did you get them from originally?