Author Topic: Thiago Morton is a player. I’ve got his poster on my wall  (Read 51022 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: Thiago Morton is a player. I’ve got his poster on my wall
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2022, 07:45:38 am »
It's the fact he's been trusted in the CL that makes me think he's more than just a place holder for the main lads. You're going to blood youngsters in the domestic cups but to offer a starting place to Morton in the CL as well as play him in the league indicates that he is very highly rated.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2022, 08:26:32 am »
It's the fact he's been trusted in the CL that makes me think he's more than just a place holder for the main lads. You're going to blood youngsters in the domestic cups but to offer a starting place to Morton in the CL as well as play him in the league indicates that he is very highly rated.

It's a bit like Nat last season though. We've needed him more than we'd have liked due to a depleted midfield, so he's needed to step up quicker. Milan was a really good opportunity for him but we had a lot of midfielders missing and were able to rest players for Porto and Milan as we'd won the group early. He was really thrown in at the deep end at Spurs and then comes in against Leicester in the cup and they've got their best team out. He's not quite ready physically for that and also in terms of experience which will come with time and the learning curve.

Games like Shrewsbury and Cardiff in the cup are the ideal games for him this season.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 08:29:41 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2022, 08:56:06 am »
It's a bit like Nat last season though. We've needed him more than we'd have liked due to a depleted midfield, so he's needed to step up quicker. Milan was a really good opportunity for him but we had a lot of midfielders missing and were able to rest players for Porto and Milan as we'd won the group early. He was really thrown in at the deep end at Spurs and then comes in against Leicester in the cup and they've got their best team out. He's not quite ready physically for that and also in terms of experience which will come with time and the learning curve.

Games like Shrewsbury and Cardiff in the cup are the ideal games for him this season.
Circumstances have certainly offered him opportunities this season but I think his acceleration to first team matters is more than just being the place holder that Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams were - that was really desperate so a solution had to be found. It feels different with Morton somehow.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2022, 10:42:26 am »
Circumstances have certainly offered him opportunities this season but I think his acceleration to first team matters is more than just being the place holder that Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams were - that was really desperate so a solution had to be found. It feels different with Morton somehow.
He feels like he as the technical ability to play at the PL level, He not big enough to be a 6 full time in the squad. Question is how well does he develop physical and is good enough to be 8 type at this level for at least as a squad player. It really depends on how he fills out etc. The game he started vs Spurs he as clearly not there yet in terms of speed etc. He is young like his ability but think he needs some time, MFer take time to develop. It will be good for him to stay with the team and keep developing.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2022, 01:09:26 pm »
He feels like he as the technical ability to play at the PL level, He not big enough to be a 6 full time in the squad. Question is how well does he develop physical and is good enough to be 8 type at this level for at least as a squad player. It really depends on how he fills out etc. The game he started vs Spurs he as clearly not there yet in terms of speed etc. He is young like his ability but think he needs some time, MFer take time to develop. It will be good for him to stay with the team and keep developing.

I think that Thiago isn't as much of a loss as much as an injury to Fabinho would be. Most of our youngsters are neat with the ball and comfortable in possession. It's their defensive awareness and physicality which is questionable.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2022, 01:12:31 pm »

For sure he's a player that's highly rated.

Klopp wouldn't want to throw him in at the deep end this season though, he stated after his debut that he really needs to bulk up a lot and learn his craft etc.

Domestic cup games have given him a good opportunity and then the last two CL games were really ideal for him with the group won (although he might not have got those games had other players been available). It helps that the CL less physical as well. Spurs away was the kind of game he's not ready for, or Leicester given the strength of the side they had out.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2022, 05:10:23 pm »
I think he’ll be given opportunities to play in all of the midfield roles and possibly become a long term replacement for Henderson rather than purely a DM. That may change as he matures and becomes stronger, perhaps his strengths will lead him to become one thing or the other.

He certainly seems to have a good passing range, is able to play quickly in tight spaces while his ability to hold our shape should hopefully also improve the more he plays. A lot is asked of our midfielders so it’s not surprising that at times it can look like he’s not involved or things pass him by, really interested to see see how he develops
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:14:25 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2022, 08:32:20 am »
I think that Thiago isn't as much of a loss as much as an injury to Fabinho would be. Most of our youngsters are neat with the ball and comfortable in possession. It's their defensive awareness and physicality which is questionable.
Different Roles. Keita can fill Thiago role pretty well when he been given chance see the Burnley game. Both are important. Jones and Morton at bigger games where experience and controlling games are not there at this time. Jones did awesome at Porto then struggled in a game shortly after.
Thiago role is lot of passes that break defense shape, Fabinho stopping the counter more, his passing is still good for a 6

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2022, 10:31:11 am »
i think he's an 8 and it showed vs Shrewsbury where he actually drove forward with the ball at feet, it's also why he struggled against Spurs
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2022, 10:46:35 am »
i think he's an 8 and it showed vs Shrewsbury where he actually drove forward with the ball at feet, it's also why he struggled against Spurs
Its where he's always stood out more in the acadmey as well. Think playing as the deepest midfielder is/was partly just that's where there was minutes and he was next up in terms of acadmey midfield options with Clarkson out on loan.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2022, 10:48:58 am »
You could see why he’s played as a 6 though, he’s not the most athletic, neither quick or strong, very good technically though and incredibly intelligent and mature for his age.

If we’re going to move him to the 8 then I would like us to give Balagizi a go too.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2022, 10:53:48 am »
Its where he's always stood out more in the acadmey as well. Think playing as the deepest midfielder is/was partly just that's where there was minutes and he was next up in terms of acadmey midfield options with Clarkson out on loan.

He went through a spell of scoring goals regularly too a season or so ago so clearly can play higher up the pitch.

Offline zadoktBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2022, 09:21:31 pm »
I have high hopes for Tyler Morton altho I admit i haven't seen anough of hims to get a good picture of his qualities; i've only been to one game this season (Porto at home) and he played in that but i wasn't sober enough to watch him closely.

To those who know, at his current very early level is he better on the ball or off it? I'm more interested in the latter but would welcome anyone's insights whether he could be shaped into a reserve holding player for us

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2022, 04:36:13 am »
I have high hopes for Tyler Morton altho I admit i haven't seen anough of hims to get a good picture of his qualities; i've only been to one game this season (Porto at home) and he played in that but i wasn't sober enough to watch him closely.

To those who know, at his current very early level is he better on the ball or off it? I'm more interested in the latter but would welcome anyone's insights whether he could be shaped into a reserve holding player for us

His biggest strength at the moment seems to be positional sense and control when in possession. Weakness seem to be out of possession can be a bit rash and panic but that all comes with experience. What shines is his football brain and technique when on the ball

He needs to bulk up to be a beast of a 6, personally dont ever see him as an 8 but also havent seen him in a role where he has more freedom compared to the 6

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2022, 08:39:18 am »
His biggest strength at the moment seems to be positional sense and control when in possession. Weakness seem to be out of possession can be a bit rash and panic but that all comes with experience. What shines is his football brain and technique when on the ball

He needs to bulk up to be a beast of a 6, personally dont ever see him as an 8 but also havent seen him in a role where he has more freedom compared to the 6
I dont think he a future number 6 long term. One thing Klopp has valued there and I think the the club will value is height in that spot unless he has like 4 or 5 inch growth spurt he doesn't have the height to be a long term future #6, in some games yea but full time unlikely.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2022, 09:07:54 am »
I used to envy man United being able to give opportunities to youngsters in champions League dead rubbers whilst we were fighting tooth and nail to get out of the group stage.
Injuries may have accelerated his opportunities but I often feel it takes pressure of a youngster. Go out there last, do your best. If you have a shocker it's fine. There's nobody else we'd have out there, and the result doesn't matter.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline zadoktBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2022, 11:37:00 am »
I dont think he a future number 6 long term. One thing Klopp has valued there and I think the the club will value is height in that spot unless he has like 4 or 5 inch growth spurt he doesn't have the height to be a long term future #6, in some games yea but full time unlikely.

:( Actually you're right it's true that Kloppo wants as much height as possible in his 6's, for artillery deterrence. So as amazing as Kante is Klopp probably wouldn't have a role for him...

My thing with having a reserve 6/DM is this: before we got Fabs I was crying out for one for years, and wore my mates' ears out saying 'every toolbox needs a hammer!'. And then we got Fabinho who is like the ELITE of ELITE hammers made out of Mithril or Unobtainium.

So now my argument goes like this: our toolbox needs a spare hammer. Reason being there are certain games when Fab wants a day off, and indeed there are 'lesser' league and domestic cup games where in all honesty you don't need a Mithril hammer - a standard one is perfectly suitable.

Our spare wouldn't have to compare to Fabs in majesty or height; he could be like a Toffee hammer, perfect for smashing and pulverising the hopes and dreams of Toffees and other smaller teams

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2022, 12:53:19 pm »

How tall is he? My memory may have betrayed me but I thought he was pretty tall but just quite slim

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2022, 12:55:43 pm »
Nicely put zakoktBeast, agree 100%.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2022, 01:09:15 pm »
How tall is he? My memory may have betrayed me but I thought he was pretty tall but just quite slim

5/10 maybe 5/11.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2022, 03:00:13 pm »

he's a number 8, that's where he usually plays and he played it against Shrews in the cup and looked good there
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2022, 08:44:12 pm »
Wiki has him listed at 175 cm(5'9)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2022, 02:59:25 pm »
Jurgen Klopp:

"By the way, Tyler Morton in training, incredible! He plays as a No.8 now, we don’t force him to play as a controlling No.6 in a Premier League game [like vs Spurs in December 2021]. He’s training as a No.8, and it’s like ‘wow, how good is that?!’" #lfc [lfc]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2022, 04:07:42 pm »
Jurgen Klopp:

"By the way, Tyler Morton in training, incredible! He plays as a No.8 now, we don’t force him to play as a controlling No.6 in a Premier League game [like vs Spurs in December 2021]. He’s training as a No.8, and it’s like ‘wow, how good is that?!’" #lfc [lfc]

Bit confused by what Jurgen means when he uses this to qualify his statement... Is he saying he's likely to get experience as 'an 8' (which I would interpret as perhaps having somewhat lesser individual responsibility than a 6), or that as an 8 is what he sees in Morton's future? Wondering if it's a bit like when we've seen younger defenders used at full-back to cut their teeth, before moving to centre-back, but could be reading it all wrong.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2022, 04:11:27 pm »
Bit confused by what Jurgen means when he uses this to qualify his statement... Is he saying he's likely to get experience as 'an 8' (which I would interpret as perhaps having somewhat lesser individual responsibility than a 6), or that as an 8 is what he sees in Morton's future? Wondering if it's a bit like when we've seen younger defenders used at full-back to cut their teeth, before moving to centre-back, but could be reading it all wrong.
Think he just means that they've had to use him as a 6 before, when needed, but he's pretty much an 8 and doing very well at it. From what I've seen of him at youth level that makes sense, he has looked good for an 8 berth for a while now.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2022, 04:12:07 pm »
Sounds like he is saying he wants him to play as an 8 but is an option at 6 if need be.

Mind he could be sold next week as Klopp never slates anyone in the squad !!

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 11, 2022, 04:47:57 pm »

I don't think he sees him as having the stature, at least yet, to play as a 6 but has the skillset to be freed up a bit. I think if we loaned him to a Championship club for example they'd probably use him as an 8 as well.

It's because we could do with someone else to play a deeper role that saw him get a good chunk of minutes before Christmas last season, until he was really chucked in the deep end at Spurs with a depleted midfield and Conte taking advantage, whereas we're well stocked with 8's.

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #227 on: August 1, 2022, 04:49:44 pm »
Joined Blackburn on loan for the season

I expect him to play most games if fit, otherwise I don't think Klopp would sanction the loan. Now I have a reason to watch some Championship games at least
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Online jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: August 1, 2022, 05:04:19 pm »
Playing under Jon Dahl Tomasson of all people.
Interesting to see how Blackburn develop him for sure.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 1, 2022, 05:27:54 pm »
I really like the look of him. Just has that composure on the ball when pressed that he can get out of it.

A season in the rough and tumble of the Championship will be perfect for his development provided he plays of course.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #230 on: August 1, 2022, 06:45:28 pm »
Hopefully he’ll get the playing time Elliot was given when he was there.  Big season for the lad.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 2, 2022, 08:31:23 am »
Think he will get plenty of game time , liverpools loans are based on players getting games or there a quite hefty payments to be made by the loan club if they don’t .

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 2, 2022, 12:52:55 pm »
Think he will get plenty of game time , liverpools loans are based on players getting games or there a quite hefty payments to be made by the loan club if they don’t .
news to me.  where do you see that?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #233 on: August 2, 2022, 12:56:26 pm »
If he can get 35/40 games and impress I think there'll be teams in the Prem or foreign leagues waiting to take him. Best of luck.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #234 on: August 2, 2022, 01:01:45 pm »
news to me.  where do you see that?
It was definitely reported for one of our previous loans - can't remember who exactly. Not sure if it applies to every loan.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 2, 2022, 01:14:55 pm »
It was definitely reported for one of our previous loans - can't remember who exactly. Not sure if it applies to every loan.
I'm pretty sure we've sent players on loan then watched them sit on the bench constantly.  and I don't see how a team can guarantee that they'll play anyone "x%" of the time -- what if their form is shit, or the club pulls off a surprise signing who is a much better option?

as for big penalties .... we're talking about clubs who can't afford to sign people.  that's why they want to bring in a loanee.

maybe I'm completely wrong but I'd like to see something other than a statement on RAWK that "this is what LFC can demand" in a loan.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #236 on: August 2, 2022, 03:29:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure we've sent players on loan then watched them sit on the bench constantly.  and I don't see how a team can guarantee that they'll play anyone "x%" of the time -- what if their form is shit, or the club pulls off a surprise signing who is a much better option?

as for big penalties .... we're talking about clubs who can't afford to sign people.  that's why they want to bring in a loanee.

maybe I'm completely wrong but I'd like to see something other than a statement on RAWK that "this is what LFC can demand" in a loan.

I've got no idea mate. Like i said there was an instance a few years ago when it was reported in the media that we had attatched penalty clauses in the loan deal should the player not get enough game time.  I can't recall which player it was (someone else here should remember). Then there were some vague reports that we were insisting on all loans playing 75% of games, or face financial penalties, but no real evidence as to whether we really did implement this or whether we collected any penalty money.

Here are a couple of links. They don't give any concrete info because no-one seems to know. I don't think the club have ever admitted it or denied it. It maybe that someone misheard something and the whole thing is a misunderstanding

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-insisting-playing-clause-loan-11641458

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/05/happened-liverpool-insisting-playing-clauses-loan-deals/

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 2, 2022, 03:39:53 pm »
Thanks Ghost.

It is hard to find anything definitive about loan deals.  Some seem to be more "loose" than others.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: August 2, 2022, 04:40:51 pm »
A couple of seasons ago we started asking for a lower loan fee but with a penalty clause for lack of playing time. So if they played them they paid less than if they just wanted them as squad fillers. The idea being that only clubs with a serious intention of playing them would accept the deal. No idea if we're still doing it though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #239 on: August 2, 2022, 04:45:20 pm »
When we're loaning the likes of Harry Wilson and Nat Phillips, as fairly estbalished players, I imagine thats where we get the big loan fees. For youngsters like Morton and the others we've loaned this summer, it makes more sense to have that sort of clause/scale where the other club gets penalised if they don't play them as much as they've told us they will.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.