Author Topic: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there  (Read 27638 times)

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2019, 11:05:01 am »
I was right behind the goal when Suarez did his magic in the box against Utd, and Kuyt robbed him of the 'greatest goal the Premier League has ever seen' :)

Offline andywilko

• Anny Roader
  • Thank You
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:00 am »
Was in the Bullens Road right in front of the Beglin injury when Rush got the winner and in the Park End when Houghton scored the winner in that other cup game, seem to remember both goals were scored quite late on. On both occasions I remember going absolutely mental for about five minutes until I was breathless and then standing there studying the Everton fans who all looked devastated and shattered, now where have we seen them like that before? So I probably spent a good ten minutes not even paying any attention to the match in front of me!
 ;D   
Remember walking down Spellow Lane after the game behind two disconsolate blues and one says to the other "at least he will be gone next season".
And with such simplicity,
The European Cup, surely, is won.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2019, 11:23:24 am »
I went to the replay at Maine Road where we got beat. Bryan Robson scored a beauty.

Those games were very moody, I think there was a load of stabbing sat Goodison

That was the worst away I ever went to, I was in the Kippax, not far from the segregation fence. The Mancs hurled sharp stuff at us all all night, always remember something just missed me and twatted a barrier so hard it produced sparks. After the match its legendary what went on (inc the garden fence thrown through a living room window!) The manc coppers didn't give a fuck, one horsebacked prick told me and my brother he was 'on a break,  when we told him we where getting legged. Even at the train station we where getting jumped on and nobody gave a fuck.

But best games, far too remember to recall, but if I had to pick one it has to be St Etienne, it had the lot. Pure pandemonium in a packed standing Kop at night can't be bettered!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2019, 01:06:33 pm »
That Leicester away in 86 is a boss shout.

Was in the Leicester end with me folks and our Alan .

A couple of lads from my school went to watch Everton play there, might have been a couple of years earlier, anyway they were in with the Leicester fans who heard them talking and gave them a good hiding. One of them was quite badly beaten up as they'd hit him with an iron bar, I think they got the lads that did it and sent them down as I seem to remember the lads I knew had to go back there to give evidence. At the time I remember having little sympathy for them as I just thought they were dickheads for going in the Leicester end and what did they expect? However thinking back its such a despicable thing to do, to beat the shit out of a couple of school kids whose only crime was to desperately want to watch their beloved team play a football match.

I've only ever been in with the opposing fans once and that was for an away against Man City at Maine Road, I was in the Kippax and hated it especially as unusually they actually beat us. Aside from the obvious personal safety risks, I think getting beat made me a bit superstitious about going in with opposing fans as on all my other visits to Maine road we invariably hammered them. Anyway, I hadn't been sussed inside the ground but I got on their version of the match bus back into town and oddly and weirdly on the bus there was a lad from our school (theme here!), a City fan who had clocked me as a Liverpool fan and started challenging me over it. I might even have still been at school myself at the time and he was a few years older than me, I knew of him but always had him down as a snidey c*nt and thought he wouldn't do anything on his own and just ignored him and nothing happened. As it turned out a few years later I ended up working with another lad from my school (theme) and he told me that said same City fan was involved with the "Young Governers" hooligan gang and the police had arrested most of them following a surveillance operation. I think he was convicted, hope the arsehole got sent down.

Going to away games could be quite hairy at the time, I always remember being slightly edgy whenever I was at Old Trafford in that tunnel bit under the stand near the railway station with no obvious escape route, but you just needed be street wise and keep your wits about you.

On another occasion I went to a Wednesday night cup match against Blackburn Rovers in my trusty Vauxhall Cavalier, well as trusty as a Vauxhall can be. It was a bastard of a place to get to then as it was before the M65 had been built so the journey involved a load a windy, hilly dimly lit A and B roads, oh and the weather was always shit there, which probably hasn't changed. Anyway before the game I'd gone to the chippy facing the ground and although I was on my own, I was stood outside the chippy eating my chips next to a load of other Liverpool fans and across the road there was a load of Blackburn fans hurling abuse and getting ready to charge, or at least plucking up the courage to do so. After a few false starts in which none of them seemed to have enough bottle to lead the charge, they began to realise that we were just going to stand our ground, but luckily for them a single bobby turned up waving his truncheon and shouting to disperse them and allowing them to save face. I stood my ground for two reasons, firstly there was no where to run to apart from the hills and secondly I hadn't finished my chips! I suspect that with them coming down from the hills to the ground, the change in altitude affected their collective brain cell, fucking yokels.

It was a shite game, windy and pissing it down constantly on to our open terrace with Nicol scoring in a 1-1 draw to earn us a replay. Awful ground, shit hole of a place but I guess life is all about having these colourful experiences!  ;D

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/cM5xXSvc5tc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/cM5xXSvc5tc</a>
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2019, 01:19:46 pm »
And when today's team get the same result there's whining from some on here. Fight and no surrender are alien concepts.

The modern fan. I blame all that Sky and Soccer am shite and bollocks, Especially that little wannabe hair hunter Chelsea prat who presented it. So many little divvys act like him, because he was their Saturday morning footie fix.
Sam Leitch will be turning in his grave.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2019, 01:48:30 pm »
I think Yorkie may have covered this a while back, but 1973 23rdApril, and we play Leeds.
We had come close to the league in the previous season, with a late charge. We were top with Leeds hard on our heels (2pts for a win remember) and this was the showdown.
Shanks second great team had emerged from its chrysalis and the young Keegan was the talisman.
It was a cold late Easter, and although the gates opened at noon there were queues at 11am. We got in about 12.30 and the Kop was already filling up.
The beach ball was out and the Walrus was busy trying to make sure his officers didn’t allow it to be retrieved if it went on the pitch. George was on overdrive with the music.
By the time we got kick off the tension was incredible, with 56 thousand inside and thousands locked out.
Leeds were the usual gang of narks, bastards and dirty shithouses of legend. But we had some tough lads in our team. It promised to be a war.
The pitch was heavy but not bad for the end of season.
The first half was goalless.
We scored almost at the start of the second half through Cormack and if anything the tension increased
The crowning moment for me was Reaney screwing up with Cooper the Leeds goalie allowing Keegan to sweep the ball out of the mud into the Kop goal with about 5mins to go.
The place erupted.
Some little old man, about 5 foot nothing picked up and chucked me into the air. It was incredible.
I recall looking down the pitch and seeing the players celebrating and there was the ref (Gordon Hill with the Zapata moustache) sitting on the ball on the centre spot. I read later his account where he said he realised how important the game was to Liverpool and wasn’t going to try and curtail the celebration - he always was a decent ref.
The Kop seemed to bounce as one, all together. It was awesome. Old men, kids like me, all singing “and now you gonna believe us, were going to win the league!”
Eventually, we made our way out, knowing we had probably done it... won the league. A point against Leicester in the last game was almost an anticlimactic way to clinch it.
I had a wonderful upbringing
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2019, 02:31:50 pm »
A scabby mishit from Craig Johnston right in front of the Away fans in the Scoreboard Paddock in ‘82 gave us a 1-0 win. We had a pretty bad record at OT in those years so that win was celebrated wildly even whilst running the gauntlet down Warwick Road afterwards.

After about 5 derbies being 0-0, the one at Anfield in ‘75 was heading the same way until Fairclough came on as sub. He scored a mazy dribble at the Anny Road end to give us a 1-0 win. I got flung to the floor of the Kop and literally couldn’t get back up. This was in the days when you used to brag about getting in as soon as the turnstiles opened.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2019, 02:43:13 pm »
Yosser.

Me and my mates got legged all over the gaff at Spurs in 86 or 87. Grown men came out of a pub with bottles and said 'where gaarn Scouse ' . Right on my fuckin toes mate. Peeeeown !!!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2019, 03:08:50 pm »
Here's the Terry McDermott goal in all its glory, Johnson with a gorgeous pass, Highway with a brilliant cross and a terrific finish from McDermott. One end of the field to another in seconds.

https://youtu.be/vOB7pcqBH-Y
Thanks Jill, as good as I remember 😀
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2019, 06:23:46 pm »
I think Yorkie may have covered this a while back, but 1973 23rdApril, and we play Leeds..........snip

Good post mate - I remember that game - unbelievable atmosphere ! But, I think Harvey was the goalie wasn't he ?.....I think Cooper was a left back but not sure he played (injured ?) that day, though could be wrong....was it Cherry ? Anyway, all the usual dirty suspects were there.....Bremner, Hunter and that twat Jordan. Incredible scenes after Keegan scored.

Probably too many great games to list here - but, to pick a few.....

Just a few weeks before the Leeds game above, I remember we played Spurs at Anfield. The game finished 1-1 but was reknowned for the absolutely incredible goalkeeping display by Pat Jennings. He saved not one but 2 penalties and made countless saves.....I can honestly say that up to that point I hadn't seen such an amazing display by a keeper, anywhere......and that included our own great Ray Clemence, who was a fantastic keeper too. Always sticks in my memory that one.....he was given a standing ovation by the whole of Anfield at the end.

St. Etienne - what can one say that hasn't already been said ?! Actually, I have to confess I wasn't actually in the ground that night.....I was locked out along with 10.000 other Reds desperate to get in. I actually queued for what seemed hours before and got within shouting distance of the turnstiles at the Kop end, when I heard the gateman shout 'shut the gates' ! So, near and yet so far - I couldn't believe it. My brother got in as him and his mate were further on in the queue to me. I spent at least half an hour going round other turnstiles to see if I could get in, but no chance - also heard the huge roar after Keegan had scored early on, which made me happy and excited but frustrated too. Waited for the bus in the pouring rain and got home to watch it on Sportsnight (I think it was ?) - unbelievable atmosphere even on the box ! My brother came in much later soaked to the skin, as he'd walked all the way home to Seffi Park and told us the tale of standing on the Kop that night. He said he never experienced anything like it in his life ! He had just completed Art Teachers Diploma and he said the scenes on the Kop after Fairclough scored resembled a painting by Hieronymous Bosch, 'The Harrowing of Hell' - he said there was absolute bedlam on the Kop after that goal. Just wish I'd been able to get in !

Have to give shout too for Auxerre - what an atmosphere again in an amazing turnaround by the Reds. Honestly, just how a mere 23, 000 could generate an amazing atmosphere equivalent to a packed Anfield, is beyond me - but it was just brilliant to be there !

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2019, 06:30:31 pm »
I wouldn't say famous, but Southampton away 13/14 in the middle of the 10 game winning streak.
I let myself dream if only for a brief period, got lost in the atmosphere and what was happening on the pitch.

And I was battered.
Nah.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2019, 07:42:20 pm »
I love this thread.

I've gone for one from the 1970s, one from '80s and one from '90s.

The 1970s was Boxing Day 1978, Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3. It's one of the most accomplished Liverpool victories I've ever seen and possibly the only United-Liverpool encounter (bar maybe the Beardsley hat-trick match) where our dominance was total. Absolutely total. We played them off the park. I particularly remember the match because I think it was probably the last time I went to the footy with my dad before he died. We were at our Uncle Stanley's house for a big family Xmas get together in a place called Grasscroft near Oldham and it was one of those impromptu decisions that football fans used to do on Boxing Day - "Let's go to the football". Dad was a Huddersfield fan and Uncle Stan didn't really follow the game. I was already a battle-hardened Red by '78. We chose Old Trafford.

This was the great Liverpool side that some people are now remembering again because of the present great run. Souness was in midfield, Kenny up front and Hansen was in his first full season, alongside Hughes and Thompson at the back. But the star of the show that day was Fairclough.

Davy Fairclough was always my player. I loved him. I know he was a bit hit and miss but I hardly remember a game where he didn't do something amazing. I'd seen him score two sensational goals at Anfield on consecutive (I think) Grand National mornings at Anfield - one against Leeds and the late winner against Everton. I'd already seen him score what turned out to be the most famous goal in the history of football v St Etienne 12 months or so  before. I'd been at the evening kick off at Maine Road in '76 when he scored two late individualistic goals to beat Man City and set up the title-deciding fixture at Molyneux. But the goal he scored this day at Old Trafford beats the lot in my mind. It was deep into the second half and the game was probably already won, but Fairclough picked up the ball near the half way line and set off towards the goal. We were in the paddock beneath what was then a newish cantilevered stand and I can still hear the Man United fans shouting, with increasing hysteria, "Chop him down, Chop him down!" But David Fairclough became David Hemery, hurdling one wild challenge after another - probably both Greenhoff boys had a hack at him - until he'd worked his way into the box. And then, in a homage to his own effort v Les Verts, Davy just slotted past whoever the onrushing keeper was. It was utterly breathtaking. Dad was always a man of the glorious understatement. He nodded a couple of times and said "That weren't bad."

The last fifteen minutes or so were played out with Liverpool just passing the ball between themselves and the United mob chasing shadows. Or angels really. Our superiority was ridiculous.

I know Fairclough's star began to fade soon afterwards. Or rather we got Ian Rush, who was almost flawless as a centre forward. But he remains a gigantic part of our history for all sorts of reasons. And the epitome of the street footballer who refused to compromise and, occasionally and memorably, leaves his street-footballing imprint on a succession of great matches. Thank you Davy Fairclough.

The 80s game, I've written about before on RAWK, and that is the 5-0 demolition of Notts Forest, the second best team in the land. I was there that balmy evening, on the Spion Kop - with 'Dr Abismo', who used to post a fair bit on this site and who is still a mad Red.  I know that for the rest of my days no football match will give me greater pleasure than that one. It was art. And better than art because it was art being made. We were there in Leonardo's studio as he faced a blank canvass and, 90 minutes later, stood back to say "I'm gonna call her Mona Lisa". It's tempting when faced by a myth - and Liverpool 5 Forest 0 has assumed the status of a myth - to say that hindsight has made it what it has become. We've all probably seen, or heard of, the Tom Finney interview on the BBC where the greatest English footballer of all time said it was the greatest football match he'd ever seen. But I remember at half time, when we were just 2-0 up, Kopites turning to one another in awe and saying "what are we watching?" You knew this was football from the future being played, as it was being played. And it was a privilege to be there - in the true sense of the word ("What on earth had we done to deserve it?").

Even now, when I see the goals on video, I can see it's great stuff but I also know that they don't quite capture the full magic of the occasion. That's literally so in the case of our last (I think?) goal. I was right above Johnny Barnes when he got the ball from a quick short corner and he did something so bewildering with the ball that even the cameraman missed it before whipping the thing in for the goal. I love the fact that only us there, in the stadium, will ever see that. Something true and beautiful wasn't captured for posterity. It belongs entirely to the elect who saw it live.

In the 90s my game to remember was the famous 4-3 v Newcastle. The first one. I didn't sleep that night. I got back to London about 4 in the morning and it was impossible to stop talking about what we'd just seen. In the end I had breakfast in Smithfield, talked about the game some more, and went to work without even one wink, let alone 40.

That was the contest that broke both us and the Geordies of course and let Man United in through the middle to win the Title. Everything had been left on the pitch, by both sides. I read John Scales today, in the Observer, saying how that was his greatest memory as a footballer. I'm not surprised. It was an unreal game played in an unreal atmosphere. I was on the Kop again, seated by now of course, and it was the first time that you sensed that an all-seated Anfield might still be able to generate the noise and decibels of the 1970s Anfield. Which of course it has, on certain special occasions.

The thing I remember most about the game was, oddly enough, fear. The brilliance of Ginola and Asprilla in the first half, when the Geordies were attacking the Kop, was something to behold. It looked like they could score at will. You watched them weaving triangles in deeply contested areas and you thought "We don't have players like that. No one does." So, to see us fight our way back into the game, and then seize it, with our own mesmerising interpretation of the beautiful game, was like experiencing the resurrection. I saw Liverpool play the best football that had ever been played in that last 25 minutes. They'd been forced to by a brilliant Newcastle. But they'd also chosen to because they'd chosen to win and not surrender. It was not just footy at its best, but sport at its best. You do something amazing, we'll do something amazinger.     

Why Roy Evans's Liverpool couldn't go on and keep playing the best football that had ever been played is by now a well-worn theme. Evans himself was too soft, or too kind. The defence was no good. The goalie was too addicted to video games. The maestros up front enjoyed their football too much, and the lifestyles that came with it, so that they couldn't knuckle down the way the less talented young group did down the East Lancs road etc etc. I still regret that. But the 4-3 v Newcastle is one hell of a spoonful of sugar too.

And to think we did it all over again, the following season.

I saw that one in a London pub.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2019, 07:58:15 pm »
That was the worst away I ever went to, I was in the Kippax, not far from the segregation fence. The Mancs hurled sharp stuff at us all all night, always remember something just missed me and twatted a barrier so hard it produced sparks. After the match its legendary what went on (inc the garden fence thrown through a living room window!) The manc coppers didn't give a fuck, one horsebacked prick told me and my brother he was 'on a break,  when we told him we where getting legged. Even at the train station we where getting jumped on and nobody gave a fuck.

But best games, far too remember to recall, but if I had to pick one it has to be St Etienne, it had the lot. Pure pandemonium in a packed standing Kop at night can't be bettered!

This undoubtedly was my worst away game,no windows or seats on my bus going to Oxford Road station?

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2019, 08:03:20 pm »
I love this thread.

Snip

Great read mate
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2019, 08:08:13 pm »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2019, 08:17:35 pm »
That Newcastle match...

Yeah.. I didn’t sleep either... I seem to be the only one who removers the lunar eclipse that night though.  Stopped to look at it on my drive back.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Batukop

• needy little fucker
  • Anny Roader
  • Pure Shores
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2019, 08:35:23 pm »
That Newcastle match...

Yeah.. I didn’t sleep either... I seem to be the only one who removers the lunar eclipse that night though.  Stopped to look at it on my drive back.
and there's another one tonight.....around 2:30 am.
"You may have found me mean and thirsty in my search for trophies, but the bad news is the man who is taking my place is hungrier than me. Fagan's the name and I don't think he'll need any help from the Artful Dodger!" Bob Paisley on Joe Fagan.

Shear me. Shear my ass. Make me naked.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2019, 10:18:53 pm »
Good post mate - I remember that game - unbelievable atmosphere ! But, I think Harvey was the goalie wasn't he ?.....I think Cooper was a left back but not sure he played (injured ?) that day, though could be wrong....was it Cherry ? Anyway, all the usual dirty suspects were there.....Bremner, Hunter and that twat Jordan. Incredible scenes after Keegan scored.

:lmao

For some reason that cracked me up, reminded me of this clip:-

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/dYBj_qAJtRA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/dYBj_qAJtRA</a>

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2019, 10:21:50 pm »
Reading away in the league cup, 2007. Not a massive game by any means but Torres showed how good he was going to be.  Enjoyed that one. Comfortable away end too at Reading, lots of space.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2019, 11:18:26 am »
Davy Fairclough was always my player. I loved him.

It’s strange how you settle on a favourite player sometimes isn’t it Yorkie? When I was at primary school I bought a second hand Liverpool shirt, just a povy plain long sleeve red shirt without any Liverpool crest, not unusual at the time but importantly it had the white round collar which was unusual rather than the standard V-type (Man-U style). I paid tuppence for the shirt and the other strange thing about it was that somebody had gone to the trouble of sewing on a very grand white number ‘9’ onto the back. Obviously I was only a youngster and didn’t really know the significance of the number, but a little bit of research revealed that it belonged to Steve Heighway at the time. Then after watching him play in a televised game, flying down the left wing, that was it for me – he was my favourite player, he seemed to be the fastest footballer I’d ever seen! I spent the next three or four years trying to emulate him on the school playground, running down the left wing and cutting back onto my favoured right foot. Sadly I never manged to see him play live as he’d retired by the time I was old enough to go to the match.

Whilst writing this piece, I’ve just realised that during my amateur football career I also wore the number ‘9’ most of the time and being a forward with an eye on my goal scoring stats, I think I became quite superstitious about wearing it. By then the ‘9’ at Liverpool had gone to Ian Rush, an amazing player for us and someone else I’d try to emulate, not just for his goal scoring but also his incredible work ethic and ability to defend from the front.     

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2019, 12:59:11 pm »
:lmao

For some reason that cracked me up, reminded me of this clip:-

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/dYBj_qAJtRA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/dYBj_qAJtRA</a>

Ha, ha - yeah brilliant ! The faces on the players - I think Stephen Graham is brilliant too.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2019, 01:24:00 pm »
Going back to my last 20's thing before I reckon one of the best I've done was again at Goodison. The FA Cup Semi's in 85. I was standing on the big ledge the use to have in the middle of it and and gets up to the stand above to see Walsh's last minute equaliser . Think I was still in the Gladdy for Whelan's one though. I always will remember some fella I'd say in his 30's with his 80's muzzie picking me up and hugging me in mad celebration.

Boss Thread.

I was too young to go this game ( or too young for my Mum to let me!) but my Dad went. Says it the most violent game he’s ever been too. And he’d gone everywhere on aways in the 70’s and early 80’s. He’s told me some mad stories about Spurs away (plus the League cup final against Spurs), City away and Forest away (including the challenge of getting across the bridge that crosses the Trent without getting lashed in). Said nothing compared to that Goodison semi-final. To be fair he didn’t go the replay at Maine Road or the European Cup final in Rome. Know people in my family who went to those games and they sound horrendous experiences. Literally running the gauntlet, out numbered massively just to watch a football game.

I went to City away in the late 80’s and it was a lot tamer by then. What struck me though was the amount of alleyways round their ground. Would have been shocking to get legged around those. The 1996 FA Cup Final wasn’t a barrel of laughs to be honest (but nowhere near this 1980's games). With Wembley, everyone parks a few tube stops away and gets free parking. Go for a few beers in a nearby pub and then jump the tube to Wembley. Remember doing that against Everton and Wimbledon. Even though I was a kid it was boss fun. Really friendly, no sign of trouble. Fast forward to 1996. I’m in my late teens so maybe more aware of it but it was so edgy that day. Loads of scraps, windows getting put in. Pubs even shutting their doors. I felt like you needed eyes in the back of your head that day. Get down to Wembley and there’s Mancs everywhere. I think they had 2 thirds of the ground that day. I was genuinely shocked by how outnumbered we seemed to be. I hardly saw any trouble after the game but most people had got off before the United fans had left the ground. Heard other stories about that final and what happened the night before in London. Not sure how true they are but don’t think it would be anything like this if we played them in an FA Cup Final soon.

That 1996 FA Cup Final is the worst I’ve felt about a result after a game I’ve been to. It felt like the worst possible loss in a Cup Final. The best Cup Final I went to was UEFA Cup in 2001. Me and my Dad had managed to get 1 ticket between us for the FA Cup and 1 for the UEFA Cup. I had mates going the UEFA Cup so happily gave up the FA Cup ticket and took the UEFA Cup Final ticket. That final in Dortmund was the 1st European Final we’d had for years. Also at a massive ground against a team (Alaves) with hardly any fans. It meant getting a ticket in the neutral zone on the day was easy (if only my old fella had known!). Getting to Dortmund was the hardest piece. Due to lack fo direct flights we took a massively convoluted route that involved Liverpool, London, Hamburg and Dortmund. Cars, planes and trains were all involved. It all played into part of the adventure though. You felt like you were beating the odds just to get there. Any tiredness was forgotten once we got to Dortmund. Food, drink and a laugh before watching the most mental game of football ever. Massive celebrations in the ground but weirdly after the game everyone was pretty subdued. You’d expect everyone to be bouncing but just think everyone was just drained by the emotion of the game. It’s massive difference to my Istanbul experience. Didn’t go the game but went to town. Celebration and jubilance extended throughout the night. It was a massive party in Liverpool City centre that lasted all night and into the homecoming the next day. Nothing beats being at the game but it was much more fun after the game being in town after that European Cup win than trying to navigate your way across Europe to get back home.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:56:50 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2019, 01:38:09 pm »
snip....
The best Cup Final I went to was UEFA Cup in 2001. Me and my Dad had managed to get 1 ticket between us for the FA Cup and 1 for the UEFA Cup. I had mates going the UEFA Cup so happily gave up the FA Cup ticket and took the UEFA Cup Final ticket. That final in Dortmund was the 1st European Final we’d had for years. Also at a massive ground against a team (Alaves) with hardly any fans. It meant getting a ticket in the neutral zone on the day was easy (if only my old fella had known!). Getting to Dortmund was the hardest piece. Due to lack fo direct flights we took a massively convoluted route that involved Liverpool, London, Hamburg and Dortmund. Cars, planes and trains were all involved. It all played into part of the adventure though. You felt like you were beating the odds just to get there. Any tiredness was forgotten once we got to Dortmund. Food, drink and a laugh before watching the most mental game of football ever. Massive celebrations in the ground but weirdly after the game everyone was pretty subdued. You’d expect everyone to be bouncing but just think everyone was just drained by the emotion of the game. It’s massive difference to my Istanbul experience. Didn’t go the game but went to town. Celebration and jubilance extended throughout the night. It was a massive party in Liverpool City centre that lasted all night and into the homecoming the next day. Nothing beats being at the game but it was much more fun after the game being in town after that European Cup win than trying to navigate your way across Europe to get back home.
I went to that without a ticket but got one in neutral sections the day before the game. Great stadium and atmosphere - and an unbelievable topsy turvy game of football ! What I remember most though was the pre-match in the square, when the locals set up mobile bars and food kiosks and both sets of fans mingling - Cast played on the stage they set up and bumping in to Erik Meier at one of the bars....ha, ha he was off his 'ead !

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2019, 01:43:16 pm »
The United Final was 1996 (unless you’re a closet Everton fan!).

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2019, 01:54:06 pm »
Couple more for me, nice symmetry to them:

Liverpool 3 Crystal Palace 4, April 1990

I think this was the first time this team who had been all but invincible first showed signs of creaking at the seams. Hansen was injured, Rush went off injured, we seemed to have about half a dozen full backs on the pitch and had a soft centre exposed by their aerial barrage.

All seemed fine at one up. Then they stormed ahead but even then John Barnes til charge and all felt ok with the world. They made it 3-3 in what felt like the last minute. At this point there was panic anytime the ball was launched into our box. Them winning it in extra time didn’t actually feel that surprising when the goal came. My first game outside of Anfield, one I won’t ever forget.

I did get to most home games in the run in which softened the blow! A 3-2 win from behind thanks to Rosenthal was great.

Liverpool 5 Crystal Palace 0, 2001

Palace again. Never liked them since the misery inflicted on me as a boy. This was the League Cup semi second leg from what went on to be the Treble season. But at this point we hadn’t won a trophy in 6 years and we’d lost the away leg 2-1 to a Championship side. Patience wasn’t wearing thin with Houllier but I think there was pressure on him to a degree.

Anyway, all doubts were swept aside. Jari Litmanen has made his debut off the bench in the first game and started here. He and Fowler linked up beautifully. Murphy scored a screaming volley, I think Smocer scored a good goal too. We had all our best footballers on the pitch and in the same wavelength and it was one of those infrequent appearances from Gerrard at right back and as ever he bossed the game from there. We destroyed them and tuerned a tricky tie into a cruise and from there never looked back for the rest of the season.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2019, 01:55:43 pm »
The United Final was 1996 (unless you’re a closet Everton fan!).

That's the 2nd mistake of mine you've spotted in this thread! I'll change it. Need to send my draft posts to you to proof read before posting in this thread. I blame that whole Graeme Souness, Roy Evans, 1990's period. Hard to remember one shite season from the next.

Also, just want to confirm to everyone reading this thread that I'm not a closet Everton fan either.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »
Big Sammy's last game, very emotional. Quarter final of 2005 champions league when Luis blammed a 25 yarder and we won 2-1, Chris Kirkland had a blinder. Mental Night  :hally

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2019, 02:51:04 pm »
Couple more for me, nice symmetry to them:

Liverpool 3 Crystal Palace 4, April 1990

I think this was the first time this team who had been all but invincible first showed signs of creaking at the seams. Hansen was injured, Rush went off injured, we seemed to have about half a dozen full backs on the pitch and had a soft centre exposed by their aerial barrage.

All seemed fine at one up. Then they stormed ahead but even then John Barnes til charge and all felt ok with the world. They made it 3-3 in what felt like the last minute. At this point there was panic anytime the ball was launched into our box. Them winning it in extra time didn’t actually feel that surprising when the goal came. My first game outside of Anfield, one I won’t ever forget.

I did get to most home games in the run in which softened the blow! A 3-2 win from behind thanks to Rosenthal was great.

Aye, another game you seemed to have jinxed by attending it Nick? Er, hang on, I went to that game too!
 :P

Were you in the Holte End? Not sure whether it was just me, but I always found it a shite view from that terrace, it seemed very difficult to pick up the flight of the ball at the other end of the pitch and difficult to tell whether the ball had gone into the net. Perhaps its the background colours of the ground creating a camouflage effect or it could be that Crystal Palace were operating a Star Trek type cloaking device? Nah, I think we'd just become poor at defending set pieces without a CB who could dominate in the air.
 :( 

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2019, 03:04:53 pm »
Big Sammy's last game, very emotional. Quarter final of 2005 champions league when Luis blammed a 25 yarder and we won 2-1, Chris Kirkland had a blinder. Mental Night  :hally
Scott Carson

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2019, 03:08:35 pm »
Didn’t have a blinder either did he? Did he not fuck up for Canavarros goal?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2019, 03:11:45 pm »
Yeah, huge blunder. Made one blinding save but the goal was a poor error.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:49 pm »

He made a mistake that cost him but for a 19 year old I remember bricking it hearing he was starting but then thinking he had a great game up until that one mistake. Knew it wasn't Jerzy, thought it was CK, forgot all together it was SC.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2019, 04:00:58 pm »
In a few years time there might be a few people on this thread describing being at the Liverpool 4 Palace 3 game and how important it was.  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2019, 04:14:19 pm »
Aye, another game you seemed to have jinxed by attending it Nick? Er, hang on, I went to that game too!
 :P

Were you in the Holte End? Not sure whether it was just me, but I always found it a shite view from that terrace, it seemed very difficult to pick up the flight of the ball at the other end of the pitch and difficult to tell whether the ball had gone into the net. Perhaps its the background colours of the ground creating a camouflage effect or it could be that Crystal Palace were operating a Star Trek type cloaking device? Nah, I think we'd just become poor at defending set pieces without a CB who could dominate in the air.
 :( 

No, was in one of the side stands. I’m sure somewhere along the way they swapped the tv aneras around at Villa which made me lose my bearings completely! Sadly had a closer view of the panic caused by their goals. We’re they at the Hokye End and was it split down the middle? Have a feeling the end we scored our second and third is the usual away end at Villa.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2019, 04:16:12 pm »
Not famous, but my first ever game was Wigan vs Liverpool at Anfield. I believe Torres scored the opener and then Titus Bramble equalised. Yeah... there's been better since.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2019, 05:34:41 pm »
1983 Milk Cup Final - Liverpool 2 v 1 Man United

My first trip to Wembley -  the "seats" were just a long wooden bench !

Whelan scored the winner in extra time, a great curler inside the far post.

I heard a jeweller's and shop selling sheepskins got turned over just before the game.

My Dad was so bevvied, me and my brother had to walk him back to the train station.
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2019, 07:39:53 pm »
My first would be a game we lost-the Liverpool Senior Cup(we were in the league below them) at Goodison.We lost 4-3 but our new signing scored all three-he was Ian St John and the rest is history as he was the first great signing.
 The second would be our first FA Cup win in 65 and my first trip to Wembley-that was huge in those days.The winner scored by a certain Mr St John!.
My third would be 3 days later when Inter Milan came to Anfield-I was queing at 4pm for a 7.30 ko and got in the ground at 5.00pm (15 mins before the kop gates shut).The crowd when Byrne and Milne carried the FA cup round just before ko was just something else.That was the first and probably the best of all european nights for me.St John scored our third goal btw but to no avail after the second leg.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2019, 07:56:56 pm »
My first game was in the Anfield Road End in 1971 for the 2-2 draw with Man United. No segregation back then but I didn't see any trouble. We went 2-0 through first half goals from Bobby Graham and Brian Hall. They came back in the second half with goals from Law and Charlton. My biggest memories from the day were watching the Spion Kop filling up before the game and turning into a heaving mass. Every time the Mancs in the Anny sang "United" the Kop replied with "Shit" 😁 and us lot in the Anny giving George Best a dog's abuse. The old ditty back then being .. "Georgie Best, superstar, wears frilly knickers and a Playtex bra."

Big crowd that day. 55,634.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:58:27 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline InRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2019, 08:31:45 pm »
Not famous, but my first ever game was Wigan vs Liverpool at Anfield. I believe Torres scored the opener and then Titus Bramble equalised. Yeah... there's been better since.

I was there for that, “Steve Bruce! He’s got a big fat head”!

Mine isn’t in the same league as previous posters but I was there when Carra scored (correct net) Fulham 4-0 December 06, all second half goals.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2019, 08:39:01 pm »
One of my faves was FA Cup Semi v Portsmouth 1992, my 3rd time at Highbury but first one the North Bank ('The Home of Football' the sign said). Loved that ground. Teenager then, so used all the money I had saved and spent 40 quid on a £9 ticket. I always loved going London on my own. Half the stadium blue and white, erupted when Anderton put them ahead in extra time. I was dead line with Barnes's free kick and remember the beautiful curl he put on it, as it smacked the post some in front where celebrating and a surge, all i could see was the top of then net and then it shook, couldn't see him but Whelan had tapped it in. Saved.