Author Topic: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there  (Read 27496 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there
« on: January 17, 2019, 04:10:52 pm »
Whilst posting in the Everton thread recently, a few of us started getting rather nostalgic about some of the famous matches that we’d attended and it felt like we were drifting slightly off the topic of “taking the piss out of Everton”.

Link to us going off topic:-
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315580.73440   

So I thought I’d create a spin off thread in the Liverpool forum to discuss your favourite memories of famous Liverpool matches that you have attended – your “I was there” moment if you like.

One of mine has to be the League cup tie at Anfield back in November ’85 against Manchester United, 1-0 down early on and it started to feel as if the game was slipping away from us as the minutes ticked by agonisingly. Then a wonderful individual run, dribble and strike from Molby before he sealed the victory with a late penalty.

It was a night match which wasn’t televised, but I was lucky enough to get a ticket probably via my season ticket voucher – I had to get there somehow. I was at college at the time and couldn’t drive, I had to get two buses and a train to the ground but managed to get there just as the match kicked off. The kop was packed to the rafters and I ended up right at the back on the top step, whereas normally on a Saturday I’d be there at 1:30pm at my spec behind the goal. I remember the huge sense of tension amongst the Kop crowd after going 1-0 down – these were our bogey team at the time, or so it felt. The game just seemed to be drifting away from us with them seemly being able to block all our routes forward and we just couldn’t get control of the game. For me the Molby goal just seemed to come out of the blue and I remember him picking the ball up around the half way line, beating a couple of players and continuing this powerful run straight towards their goal, with people shouting louder and louder “go-on, go-on” before unleashing an unstoppable thunderbolt from probably 20 yards. Absolutely mental celebrations in the ram jammed kop, jumping, shouting, punching the air! There was no way we were losing this now and sure enough a few minutes later Molby sealed it with the penalty, such a sweet victory against our arch rivals, I was buzzing for days afterwards.

Molby was a recent signing to partly full the massive void left by the departure of Souness and for me he’d been unconvincing up until then. I think this was the night he showed his true quality and the beginning of him eventually becoming an established Liverpool player.

As I say this wasn’t a televised match, nor was there any plans to even show the highlights believe it or not. However years later a video of the match turned up!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wSfMTK5XXU8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wSfMTK5XXU8</a>
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:22:57 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1eN_ehTBPb4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1eN_ehTBPb4</a>

Never forget this night. Going away to united 1-4 as well and getting spat at as we left, that season was special.  :lmao

Wish I could still get tickets to take my lad and nephew.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:28:38 pm by MULLENEDWINE »

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 04:41:22 pm »
Not the greatest match to remember, but I was at the 1989 title decider against Arsenal. Got there an hour beforehand, right at the front of the Kop (I even got on telly at one point!), and then had to watch what happened next.

Funnily enough, I wasn't that devastated as Hillsborough had happened a few weeks previously and it just felt like there were more important things than football. Didn't stop the Blues taking the almighty piss on the walk back to the station though!

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:46:28 pm »
Annoyingly missed Istanbul despite having a ticket.

Most of mine were in Rafa’s time but the 2 that really stand out are the Chelsea 05 semi with the Garcia goal and the FA Cup final a year later against WestHam.

Did most of the league matches, cup finals and euro games home and away around that period.

The Chelsea game was unreal, I only found out after the game that the goal was Garcia’s effort, when Gallas cleared it off the line I looked at the floor of the Kop grabbing my head then everyone started going mental so I assumed someone had knocked the rebound in.

my overriding memory of that cup final against West Ham was sitting down thinking after knocking out United and Chelsea we’ve lost the cup final to fucking West Ham, just as I thought that the tannoy announced the added time so I stood up for one last push and just as I did Gerrard absolutely twats it into the back of the net, happy times.

League games -

The Goodison derby where Kuyt won it in injury time with a penalty and lescott then gets denied a stone waller at the other end immediately afterward :lmao

United away 4-1 in 09

Chelsea away when we ended their unbeaten home run of about 5 years

City away when we came from 2 down to win 3-2. At 2-0 their inbred fans were singing ‘we’ll buy your club and burn it down,’ and ‘we’ll sign Torres but you can keep Kuyt,’ Torres then goes on to get a brace and Kuyt the winner :lmao
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:57:08 pm by Jm55 »

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:49:21 pm »
One for the younger folk.

Liverpool v Fulham at Craven Cottage in 2009. Benayoun winner when we were challenging Utd for the title.

My dad was ill so I took my mate (who supports Crystal Palace).

Had talked up the atmosphere, which really wasn't anything special until Benayoun scored that last minute winner. Cue bedlam!

Was also at the Fulham v Liverpool game in 04/05, where Josemi got sent off and we were down 2-0. Alonso replaced Diao at half-time and won us the game almost on his own!
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:50 pm »
All of the home Champions League game in 04/05, including the qualifier against Graz and the final in Istanbul.

Incredibly lucky. Those Olympiakos, Juventus, Chelsea games were something else. And then the final.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:39:05 pm »
I was fortunate enough to be at the famous 5-0 win over Forest in 87/88. Was only 9 so although enthralled by it all I probably didn’t appreciate just how great a performance and team that was.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:05:38 pm »
Dortmund 4-3 was fucking belter a couple of years back.

The everton semi final where Carroll hit the winner.

As strange as it sounds, our 1-0 win at home to Brighton the first game of this season I really enjoyed. Felt like the whole ground was having a bit of fun and more 'at ease' with themselves than we'd been for a while. Primarily that was probably because we had a boss team!
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline commando

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 07:08:05 pm »
St Ettienne in 77, Olympiacos and Chelsea in 05, Everton 0-1 The Reds. Dortmund the other year.  All memorable occasions. 

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:44 pm »
Alaves, the square rammed with about 35,000 of us beforehand, John Power and Doctor Fun on stage, the friendliness of the Alaves fans and an alright game of football. Magic.

Just wish Fowler had got the winner, pissing Jordi  >:(

Roma in the Olimpico that year was a belter too, despite being moody as hell.
AHA!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:32:00 pm »
Celtic in 1966 when every Glaswegian in the Anfield Road End simultaneously chucked their empties on to the pitch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:22:37 pm by So... Howard Phillips »

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:27:56 pm »
Man City CL QFinal at Anfield last season. Atmosphere was incredible from start to finish as was the performance on the pitch.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:04 pm »
Right near the front of the Kop for the 5-1 vs Norwich in 2013

Definitely the best game I've been to and the best goals I've seen in person :scarf

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:20 pm »
1st ever Liverpool match in 1892. We beat Rotherham 7-1. I’d just recovered from a bout of syphalis and spent 5 weeks sailing from London to get there. Rained a bit second half. Not been back since.

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:50:57 pm »
FA Cup Final 2001 v Arsenal, two cracking finishes from Owen.
YNWA

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 08:59:17 pm »
I was fortunate enough to be at the famous 5-0 win over Forest in 87/88. Was only 9 so although enthralled by it all I probably didn’t appreciate just how great a performance and team that was.

This.  We would have destroyed any team in the world that night.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 08:59:38 pm »
1st ever Liverpool match in 1892. We beat Rotherham 7-1. I’d just recovered from a bout of syphalis and spent 5 weeks sailing from London to get there. Rained a bit second half. Not been back since.
:lmao

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 09:03:33 pm »
Went to the Molby league  cup game.  The goal was a lot better in my head
Another famous league cup game I went to was the 2nd leg semi v QPR. The aforementioned Dane missed a pen and we conceded two OG's
Panthanikos semi
1-1 draw at home to United - Game featured on the Kenny Dalglish portrait of a legend VHS
The Forrest 5-0
The Palace 9-0
QPR John Barnes game
Everton away  - Wayne Clarke and the unbeaten run
Auxerre 
Bristol City
Norwich (Last day of Kop)

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 09:11:15 pm »
Leicester away in 1986.  Bedlam when it came through that Oxford were beating the Ev.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 09:13:14 pm »
Went to the Molby league  cup game.  The goal was a lot better in my head
Another famous league cup game I went to was the 2nd leg semi v QPR. The aforementioned Dane missed a pen and we conceded two OG's
Panthanikos semi
1-1 draw at home to United - Game featured on the Kenny Dalglish portrait of a legend VHS
The Forrest 5-0
The Palace 9-0
QPR John Barnes game
Everton away  - Wayne Clarke and the unbeaten run
Auxerre 
Bristol City
Norwich (Last day of Kop)

Was at all of them myself, except for the Wayne Clarke match thankfully.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 09:26:39 pm »
I went to pretty much every home game from 1985/86 through to the early 2000's. Some belters in that period but I'll pick some more obscure games that stick out massively.

Friday 17th May 1985 Liverpool 4 Watford 3

Not sure why we played on a Friday but it was our final game before the European Cup final with Juventus. Under 30k in the ground but it was a game etched on my mind. Mainly because it's the 1st game I remember going to. The thing I remember most is John Barnes. He was brilliant for Watford and it even stuck out to a very young me. Think he scored an amazing free kick at the Anfield Road end (when it had different colour seats for each block and Ian Rush would belt a casey into the home supporters there before ether game)

Saturday 28th April 1990 Liverpool 2 QPR 1

The game we won the league in 1990. If you'd told me at that point that we wouldn't win it again for nearly 30 years, at least, then it would have been unfathomable. At this point, I was getting closer to my teens and had just known us winning the league. If we didn't win it for a season then you pretty much expected us to win it the next season. The last 29 years have been a massive culture shock from that point. I imagine even more so for people who are now 50+.

Sunday 23rd August 1992 Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2

It was the 3rd game of the season. We'd lost against Forest on the 1st day of the season. Teddy Sheringham scored and it was the 1st live game of the SKY era. We beat Sheff United at home and then we had Arsenal at home. Arsenal had come 4th the season before (so above us) and won the league in 1990-91. They were a very good team and they just swatted us aside. It was at this point that I realised that the season before (finishing 6th) wasn't a blip but maybe a sign of things to come. Looking back I think winning the FA Cup but also beating United to stop them winning the league in 1992 papered over the cracks massively. That Arsenal defeat when I think Ian Wright got one at the Anfield Road end really cemented that sinking feeling for me.

Sunday 29th October 2000 Liverpool 3 Everton 1

For so many reasons this game was memorable. Nick Barmby playing in his 1st derby since leaving Everton. I think it was the 1st time, or one of the few times, we'd beaten Everton in the previous 5-10 years. More importantly it felt like we had a squad and team that was going places. The season before was promising but the poor form at the end of the season cost us Champion's League football. This game felt like we'd stepped up again. Plus it went off completely when Barmby scored

Saturday 22 April 2006 Liverpool 2 Chelsea 1 (FA Cup)

Whilst I still had a season ticket at this point, work commitments meant the previous season I only went to a handful of league games and didn't go to any CL games. Felt rough reward for going to games on a regular basis for the preceding 20 season and being served up a variety of shite teams by Graeme Souness and to a degree Roy Evans. This game sticks out in the Rafa era for me. I'd been to every FA cup game this season but this stood out. We played really well and scored 2 good goals, against a Chelsea team where the rivalry was really taking off. Being at Old Trafford made it sweeter for some reason. La Bamba at the end will live long in the memory. Felt like (pre-Klopp) this was the last time we were united as a fan base.

There's load of others and maybe a few after 2006 but I'll stop there.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:29:48 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 09:42:55 pm »

Sunday 29th October 2000 Liverpool 3 Everton 1

For so many reasons this game was memorable. Nick Barmby playing in his 1st derby since leaving Everton. I think it was the 1st time, or one of the few times, we'd beaten Everton in the previous 5-10 years. More importantly it felt like we had a squad and team that was going places. The season before was promising but the poor form at the end of the season cost us Champion's League football. This game felt like we'd stepped up again. Plus it went off completely when Barmby scored

Great choice. Remember singing ‘he’s red, he’s white, we bought him from the shite’ for about an hour after the game. Stevie G played right back that day and was immense.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 09:52:08 pm »
Keep going Jookie, great post

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 09:54:00 pm »
Liverpool 4 3 Newcastle..

A game so good that I almost didn’t realise until it was over...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 09:58:05 pm »

Saturday 22 April 2006 Liverpool 2 Chelsea 1 (FA Cup)

Whilst I still had a season ticket at this point, work commitments meant the previous season I only went to a handful of league games and didn't go to any CL games. Felt rough reward for going to games on a regular basis for the preceding 20 season and being served up a variety of shite teams by Graeme Souness and to a degree Roy Evans. This game sticks out in the Rafa era for me. I'd been to every FA cup game this season but this stood out. We played really well and scored 2 good goals, against a Chelsea team where the rivalry was really taking off. Being at Old Trafford made it sweeter for some reason. La Bamba at the end will live long in the memory. Felt like (pre-Klopp) this was the last time we were united as a fan base.

There's load of others and maybe a few after 2006 but I'll stop there.

Great choice, I'd forgotten what a great performance that was, nice to be reminded about that Garcia goal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Sk_Pb1OpsII" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Sk_Pb1OpsII</a>
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25:59 pm »
Sticking to the "famous" directive as opposed to "best" or whatever I'll be going with...

1974 FA Cup Final, Liverpool 3 Newcastle Utd 0  -

I was seven years old, getting into playing footy daily and had been with an uncle to see Blackpool play a few times. My Dad was a Red and got a pair of tickets due to a family member being hospitalised (no, my old man didn't arrange it...) I can remember getting blown away by the atmosphere, this was something ELSE, something I could not have even imagined existing - wow!

I was then blown away watching the amazing patterns these Gods in Red were weaving all over that green paradise while the little men in stripey shirts fell around, crumpled to the floor, or, seemingly, just watched on in amazement. I felt something stir deep within that afternoon, a rumbling which I now know to be the initial symptoms of falling in love...

1978 European Cup Final, Liverpool 1 FC Bruges 0

Back to Wembley, 11 years old and now completely smitten. All I remember is a sea of Red, inside and outside the stadium, did Bruges have any fans there at all? I remember wondering that...was as close to Kenny's chip as anyone and can still see the exact image today when I close my eyes. Heartbroken by Keegan's departure the previous summer, healed by the magic of Kenny Dalglish.

1999 Premier League Liverpool 4 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Not a famous match you say? Well, if not, it damn well should be. It was my 33rd birthday, and my present was to witness the first goal scored for a certain 19 year called Steven Gerrard. Now, call me Nostradamus, but I vividly remember turning to my mate and telling him that this Gerrard kid was gonna be special, that he'd captain Liverpool and also England...and then two minutes later this happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4aHoyGsi4M      More love!

March 2012 Premier League Liverpool 3 Everton 0

The famous Gerrard Hat-trick, he's recently described the match as one of his very favourite Anfield memories, one of mine too! Fantastic performance from a certain Luis Suarez too if memory serves.
I watched this from the back row of the old Main Stand with my then 18 year old son, pretty much on halfway,  and could see the piss boiling in the Lower Annie from there. What a night! A floodlit blessing! I'll add that we were only there courtesy of the RAWK ticket exchange, with tickets from our very own Harinder who could not make it. I still feel for him...kinda  ;)  Thanks Harinder man  :wave  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONSpedh6MA

Memories...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:29:02 pm by Red-Dread »
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 12:30:19 am »
Mellor vs arsenal

4-1 Madrid

When we battered that Turkish team 8-0 and crouch scored a bicycle kick. Edit- just googled it and these were two different matches.. I was at both lol

07 semi vs Chelsea - this one is so underrated. Best atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of

Dortmund 4-3

Great memories man.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:36:59 am by M7 Heckler »

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 12:47:06 am »
Keep going Jookie, great post

A few more that stick in the memory. And the craw in some cases.

Thursday 24th April 1997 Liverpool 2 PSG 0 (Cup Winners Cup Agg:2-3)

If anything summed Liverpool under Roy Evans it was probably the 2 legs of this Cup Winners Cup semi-final in 1997. The 1st leg in Paris we turned up with the wrong application and attitude and got our arses handed to us by a very good PSG team that contained the likes of Lama, N'Gotty, Loko, Rai, Cauet, Le Geun, Leonardo. We were lucky to get away with 3-0 after a shambolic defensive performance including James flapping at crosses for the 1st 2 goals.

The home leg was a complete about turn. We battered them for 90 minutes but could only get 2 of the 3 goals required on the night. Fowler scored in the 1st half and Mark Wright scored a thumping header late in the 2nd. When we got the 2nd goal, it was one of the loudest roars I'd heard at Anfield. To be honest the atmosphere was brilliant that night. Maybe the memory of the comeback against Auxerre still lingered at that point. But alas we came up short because we couldn't deliver at crucial moments. Pretty much sums up Roy Evans Liverpool.

Thursday 19th April 2001 Liverpool 1 Barcelona 0 (UEFA Cup semi final 2nd leg)

If the PSG game summed up Roy Evans' Liverpool's inability to get things done when the pressure was on, then this game summed up Gerard Houllier's Liverpool's ability to get things across the line. This semi-final feels like an almost forgotten night when people recall our historic European nights. It felt massive at the time. I remember queuing up for tickets for the game and having to get there about 5am when they went on sale at the ground. There was queues around the stadium before 9am. Atmosphere that night was electric.It's probably what I remember most about the game. Gary Mac penalty and not much else happened from what I can remember. This was a pre-Ronaldinho Barcelona that were stacked with household names but were on the wane. They'd come 2nd in La Liga and got to the semi final of the CL the previous season. However, they came 4th this season and followed it up with 4th the next season. They were still Barcelona though. They went the same way as Porto, Roma and Olympiakos before them.

Sunday 3rd October 2010 Liverpool 1 Blackpool 2

From a footballing perspective this is probably the lowest ebb of the football club I can remember. The peak years of Rafa seemed a long time way away at this point. At boardroom level we still had Hicks and Gillete in charge. We had replaced Rafa Benitez with Roy Hodgson in the dug out. Mascherano had gone, Alonso had gone and Torres blatantly didn't want to be there. We were a shell of a club and team compared to what we'd been in 2005-2009. It was the most turbulent time I can remember as a fan and the supporter base was completely split post-Rafa. With this as the backdrop,  Blackpool came to Anfield and played us off the park. Torres was injured early on and with a midfield containing Joe Cole and Christian Poulsen proceeded to make Charlie Adam look like a prime Lothar Mattheus strolling around Anfield. They bossed us 1st half and though we came back into it we never looked like getting the win. We were 18th after the game, albeit only 7 games into the season. But I remember walking out of that game thinking we could genuinely be in a relegation battle that season if things didn't change.

Sunday 10th March 2013 Liverpool 3 Tottenham 2

This wasn't an important game but it was a really entertaining game. I picked it for a few reasons. Firstly, it was the start of things coming together in Rodgers 1st season. Coutinho and Sturridge were starting to settle and Suarez was becoming the player we saw in 2013/14. This was a game that for me epitomised the improvements in the 2nd half of that season that gave us the springboard for 2012/13.  The 2nd reason I picked it out was Gareth Bale. This as the time he was starting emerge as a regular Spurs starter in a more attacking position rather than at LB. He was the stand out player on the pitch that day. He was superb and really looked like the merging star of the league. Moussa Dembele had a great game too. We looked like a team that was progressing but so did Spurs. That's why this felt like a victory that was a good marker for the future. I remember coming out of this game feeling the most optimistic I had since the latter days fo Rafa (maybe since the 4-0 home game against Stoke in 2009/10 when Glen Johnson looked like the new John Barnes but at right back)

Saturday 11th February 2017 Liverpool 2 Tottenham 0

I'd started to go the game a lot less regularly by this point due to work commitments. This was the 1st game under Klopp that I'd been too where I walked away thinking we had a really good team that could control games and not just blow teams away with our attacking brilliance. Sadio Mane was the star man in the 1st half, getting a brace to put us 2-0 up. 2nd half we just shut down the game against a good Spurs side. They didn't lay a glove on us in the 2nd half and we comfortably strolled to a 2-0 win. Looking back I wonder if this type of game, in the midst of some of the more wild games under Klopp at this time, became the blueprint for the more considered and controlled performances we've seen this season.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:51:25 am by Jookie »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 01:40:19 am »
For me, the stand-out will always be St Etienne at Anfield in 1977. I don't think I've ever felt anything like it at a football match before or since. Sheer bedlam.
It simply had everything. We were 1-0 down from the first leg, but Keegan scored in the 2nd minute to steady the nerves. St Etienne had other ideas, though. This was a great game between two excellent sides. End to end stuff, and they were always dangerous and had brought massive support with them from France. On 51 minutes, Bathenay unleashes a thunderbolt from distance and a despairing Clemence is beaten all end up. What a strike! They are 1-2 up on aggregate and we are chasing the game.

On 59 minutes a cross comes into the box in front of the Kop, a great assist from Toshack tees up Ray Kennedy who puts it away. Game on!!
We need another goal. They've scored at our place but we didn't at theirs. We need another one. David Fairclough comes on for Toshack in the 74th minute, unaware that in ten minutes time he will enter LFC folklore and send Anfield delirious. Six minutes to go, nails are shredded and nerves are jangling, then ... a looping ball over the top sees Fairclough beat the offside trap and run onto the ball, he gets in front of his man. Can he do it? ... he keeps going, and going, and going.... YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pandemonium. Sheer madness on the Kop. What a celebration from Fairclough. Utter chaos all around.

I'd never experienced anything like it in my life. The whole ground was singing.The foundations were shaking. Even the Main Stand joined in.  ;D

I remember walking to the Rotunda afterwards to get the bus home. Lads from our school were there and had great big St Etienne flags they'd swapped with their fans. Head was battered. Throat was fucked. Beautiful.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vZdpzXXKpp8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vZdpzXXKpp8</a>

The Kop singing 'We shall not be moved'.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R9B26fXTj4c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R9B26fXTj4c</a>

Another occasion that sticks in my mind was Liverpool V Barcelona at Anfield in 1976 for the UEFA Cup Semi-Final 2nd leg. We had already beat them 1-0 at Camp Nou in the 1st leg.
Oddly enough, I can't remember much about the game itself, but the Kop was heaving. I remember Barcelona coming out onto the pitch to walk around early on. The already packed Kop gave them a warm welcome. As they walked towards the Kop goal it seemed like the whole 28,000 of us belted out ''Barcelona, Barcelona, There's fuck all down for you.'' They looked visibly shaken to me.

Back then, to me, the occasion was all about the singing, the atmosphere and the theatre of it all. I loved all that. My memory of the game is sketchy. However, I do remember feeling chuffed that I had seen the great Johan Cruyff  playing on our pitch. I remember we went 1-0 up on 50 minutes with a Phil Thompson goal. What I didn't know until I got home was that Barcelona equalised on 52 minutes with a goal from Rexach. I honestly had no idea because we were all still celebrating our own goal when they pulled one back. It didn't matter because it ended 1-1, so we went through 2-1 on agg. When I was walking home someone in the street asked me how we'd got on. I said we won 1-0. Only later, when I arrived home did I find out we drew.  :o

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:43:38 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 07:51:20 am »
^^^ ;D  ....bit Everton that SoS, winning without winning (except it’s the Liverpool version....still winning on aggregate!)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 08:12:51 am »
Great mix of memories their Jookie. I remember that Blackpool game, it’s the only time I’ve ever bet on us to lose. Blackpool were something like 9/1 and as you said they played ya off the park. I don’t think anyone was that surprised when we lost.

A couple of other ones for me:

Liverpool 4 Manchester United 0, September 1990

This was a rare early Sunday kick off and we caught United cold. They were beginning to get their act together having won the FA Cup in May but we showed we were still a class above. It was part of our winning start to 90/91 and sadly there was no indication the wheels were going to come off. We raced into a 3-0 first half lead and Beardsley completed his hat trick in the second half by lobbing Les Sealey in front of the Kop. It was the first United match I’d been to and couldn’t believe the noise. Apart from one Manc, sat glumly a row or two in front of us I in the Kemlyn in that shit away shirt they had back then. You wouldn’t see that these days!

Liverpool 2 Manchester United 0, April 1992

Fast forward less than two years and the tables were quickly turning. We’d fallen away quickly from the standards we were used to and they had built a strong side that looked like they’d break their long Title drought. In the previous weeks they’d wobbled badly though and Leeds had stolen ahead. Earlier in the day they’d won at Sheffield United which had all but sealed the title. This defeat confirmed it though.

From the start the atmosphere was electric. So many songs about United never winning the League. Was hilarious back then and was a piss take from start to finish including a loud rendition of Always Look On The Bright Side of Life when we scored the second. Rush scored his first goal against United to set us on our way and it was sealed late on by Walters. School the next day with loads of distraught Mancs was a joy!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 08:17:03 am »
Barcelona 1 - 2 Liverpool

Feb 2007 and the Reds face a daunting task in the Camp Nou against a Barcelona side littered with talent. An early goal for Deco didn’t make the task any easier, but by the end of the match Liverpool had seemingly done the impossible and come away with a win thanks to goals from Bellamy and Riise. A win that was needed as it turned out as we lost the second leg 0-1.

Favourite memory, walking the long walk back down the steps from the away fans section up in the gods singing the praises of Momo Sissoko who had a great game that night. Mo mo mo he’s magic....y’know.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 08:25:19 am »
Been lucky to have had a season ticket for over 30 years so many great memories home and away.

Gerrard's stunner against West Ham in the FA Cup final at Cardiff in 2006, a fantastic stadium, Owen's winner against Arsenal there too.

Moved to the Kop for a couple of seasons and the atmosphere when we played City at home in Rodgers' best season with us was incredible, when Coutinho scored that 3rd goal especially.

In the park end at Goodison for some great derby aways, Kenny and Rush on top form, season 82/83 winning 5-0, 85/86 winning 2-3.

Kenny's winner at Stamford Bridge that sealed the title.

Chelsea at home 2005 CL. Garcia's winner.

Nigel Clough against the mancs 3-3.

The 4-3 games against Newcastle.

The FA Cup final after Hillsborough, 100,000 people singing "Merseyside, Merseyside", travelled down with a few Everton lads I used to work with.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:35:07 am by Frank Becton »
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 08:31:29 am »
Liverpool 3-2 ManCity 2014

Possibly the most emotional rollercoaster game I’ve ever been to. From the bus greet with everyone
sensing this could actually be ‘our year’, to the emotionally charged hillsbrough 25 year anniversary YNWA, followed by a first half of some of the most incredible possession football I’ve ever seen by Man City. They sliced right through us every 2 minutes looking like they’d score, I remember being so nervous that I literally clung on to the roof beam of the Kop (on the back row) the whole time to steady myself as my legs were trembling. Then the release of the winner ending, up two rows down on my face and walking out arm in arm with a stranger singing we’re going to win the league. Town was manic.

Then we won the league if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:35:12 am by meady1981 »

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 08:54:44 am »
Snip

Those 2 United games really stick out for me too. I thought about both of them when putting my list together.

The 4-0 was an absolutely brilliant performance. It felt like we were putting United in their place that day. Late the season before we'd gone to Old Trafford and beaten them 2-1. John Barnes was magnificent that day (he was in the 4-0 as well) and it was the biggest 2-1 hammering you'll ever see. The 4-0 felt like re-affirmation of our place in the footballing world and United's. It was arguably the last time we had that superiority over them until the this season.

The 2-0 in 1992 was really good at the time. Mainly because we put the final nailing in the coffin of their title challenge. I think that was 25 or 26 years since they'd last won the league. The atmosphere was unreal that day. It was absolutely jubilant after Walters got the 2nd late on. At that point that must have felt like we do now. That the holy grail of the title was so far away. Imagine us going to Old Trafford this season and them beating us to confirm the end of our title bid. That's what it must have felt for any United fan in Old Trafford that day. Looking back it's an obvious hiccup in United's path to domination in the 90's but at that time it felt amazing to keep that title drought going.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 08:58:39 am »
Yep, I think the amount we revelled in it probably shocked them a bit which is why they never missed an opportunity to run it in over the next decade.

Nearly included that 2-2 when Ince equalised late on. Same kind of feeling, and at that point it out Arsenal in control of the title race but they lost at Leeds in the penultimate game the twats!

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 09:09:50 am »
The Man City and Roma Champions League home games from last season. They weren't famous but the atmosphere was the best I've experienced at Anfield (so far).
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 09:13:29 am »

In the park end at Goodison for some great derby aways, .

The old Park End at Goodison was an absolute dump. I didn't go there that often but remember the derby in 1993. Julian Dicks made his debut after a massive deal that included Mike Marsh and David Burrows in exchange. We got battered a really poor Everton team 2-0 with goals from Mark Ward and Tony Cottee. It was the game when Brucie and Steve McManaman had a fight on the pitch. This game was the final few months of Graeme Souness' reign as manager.

Things did get considerably better under Roy Evans. But the inability to beat Everton in the 1990's continued. We just couldn't beat them despite being a much better team. That was one of the things that really hurt during the 90's. That's why I'll never take for granted our current run against them. They are our biggest rivals. The game I want to win most. To not be able to beat them and have to meet Blues in your day to day life was hard work at the time.. 

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 09:14:11 am »
All the CL 05 home games, Olympiacos, Juve and Chelsea being the standouts.

The Europa league at Old Trafford.

The VvD derby in the cup.

City away in the CL 1/4 final (The video of my fall is quite spectacular when Mo scores).

Not a bad CV, happy with that.
@JonnYNWA

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 09:42:36 am »
Nearly included that 2-2 when Ince equalised late on. Same kind of feeling, and at that point it out Arsenal in control of the title race but they lost at Leeds in the penultimate game the twats!

Definitely. Had that feeling that we'd derailed their season. Given they were going for the treble it felt massive. From what I can remember we had no forwards available at the time. Think we were playing McManaman or Berger as a false 9 before false 9's were a thing. We had done the same thing against Spurs a few days earlier and come back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. That United game we showed great character to come back from 0-2. Ince getting a last minute equaliser felt so important in the title race. Obviously Leeds were twats though and beat Arsenal.

That whole time there was a strange feeling around the club. McManaman had announced he was leaving on a Bosman and the wheels had fallen off the Roy Evans team. At the same time United we were reaching their peak with the Treble. Go back a year or 2 and there was genuine talk about who had the better team, who had the better young players at their disposal. We wasted a massive opportunity and United took thier's. Roy Evans did a decent job at Liverpool during the 1st few season. But I think he get's away with a lot of criticism because of his previous role in the club prior to being manager. He had a great crop of young English players at his disposal. He had a transfer kitty that wasn't that far away from the other top clubs. He won 1 League Cup and by the end of the 1998/99 season he had a team that was finishing 7th on 54 points. He wasted a massive opportunity by letting ill discipline and poor attitudes pervade the club.

There was a game that exemplified this fall from grace the most. It wasn't just what was happening on the pitch at Anfield but what was happening elsewhere that provided a great juxtaposition to how United and Liverpool's fortune had changed in the late 90's.

Wednesday 21st April 1999 Liverpool 0 Leicester City 1

A fucking abject game that was settled by a last minuted Iain Marshall goal. We were terrible. The state of the squad was summed up by the appearance of the rarely seen Sean Dundee off the bench. A player signed the summer before who had hardly featured that season. A player with a reputation in Germany as a goalscorer with pace. He came off the bench and got absolutely burned for pace by Matt Elliott.

However, I can't view this game in isolation. Because the same night Manchester United were playing the 2nd leg of the Champion's League final against Juventus in Turin. The 1st leg had finished 1-1. I think Giggs equalised in at the end of the game. Juve had gone 2-0 up really early on in the 2nd leg. I can remember that news going round the ground and shouts of 'Juve' coming from the Kop. Whilst we were watching Liverpool labour against a poor Leicester team, my mind, and I suspect others, was wondering about what was going on in Turin. 2-1 then 2-2 by half time. I felt a huge fear of dread when I heard that scoreline at half-time. When it went 2-3 it felt like a dagger to the heart. Nothing summed up how the teams had gone in opposite directions then United coming back from 2-0 away at Juve to make the Champions League Final and us getting beat at home against Leicester to a last minute Iain Marshall goal.

This isn't a low as low as the Blackpool game under Hodgson. Maybe not even as low as I felt under Souness coming away from that defeat at Goodison in 1993. But it was a massive low and I can't get my head around how Roy Evans left the team in such a bad state with the young players he had at his disposal.