Author Topic: Beautiful (Kenny Tribute thread)  (Read 1238 times)

Offline teine

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Beautiful (Kenny Tribute thread)
« on: February 7, 2024, 05:54:54 am »
We've all used that word to describe a great pass, or a stunning goal. But in the macho world of football it's rarely used in its simplest sense - to describe the way someone looks, or moves.

With Kenny Dalglish, it's a word you cannot avoid. He is simply the most beautiful player ever to grace a football pitch.

I'm going to post a series of photos here. I'm imagining them as a kind of online gallery, to be appreciated like any work of art. Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. But I'm sure I can't be the only one who looks at these pictures and thinks 'How is that possible? How is it that every pose he strikes looks sculpted? How is it possible that he stands out so starkly from the ordinary mortals around him?

The Beauty of Kenny Dalglish

Rangers v Celtic, 28th August 1971.

Celtic v Dunfermline, 19th February 1972

Celtic v Partick Thistle, 23rd October 1971

Celtic v Dinamo Kiev, 5th February 1972

St.Johnstone v Celtic, 4th August 1971

Celtic v Airdrie, 15th January 1972

Celtic v Dumbarton, 31st July 1971

That's eight photos, and we haven't even seen the famous Dalglish smile yet.

You'll have noticed the dates. Every photo is from his breakthrough season with Celtic - 1971/72 - and most are taken from the magnificent celticwiki site.

I could post many more, but I'd rather see your examples.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 07:52:52 am by John C »

Offline teine

• Main Stander
Re: Beautiful
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2024, 06:24:28 am »
One thing that surprised me when reading match reports from Kenny's early Celtic days was just how often his name was misspelt. 'Dalgleish' was very common.

But it's understandable. Dalgleish is a very common name too. And in fact, it was especially common right around the time Kenny was born.

It was March 4th 1951 that Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish came into the world, and just the week before that, a man with a very similar name was making the news.

On February 24th, a young right winger made his debut for Scotland's rugby union team against Ireland at Murrayfield.

Let's see Kenneth a bit more clearly:

Scotland lost that game, but Kenneth kept his place for the game v England at Twickenham on March 17th. That was the first time Scotland had played at Twickenham since a famous feature of the ground had been installed. That was the weather vane, placed on top of the Main Stand. You can see it here, just before it was placed on the roof:

The man who designed that weather vane was, would you believe, a Mr. Kenneth Dalgleish.

So let's just confirm that. The birth of Kenny Dalglish, the future footballer, was sandwiched between Kenneth Dalgleish, the rugby player, making his debut at Murrayfield and him making his second appearance, beneath a famous landmark, the work of Kenneth Dalgleish the designer.

Here is the rugby player in action at Twickenham that day (with the wrong initials in the caption):

The timing is uncanny - and you wonder if the debut of Kenneth Dalgleish at Murrayfield had any influence on the naming of the baby Dalglish, born eight days later.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2024, 08:02:42 am »
A great thread and an odd coincidence to draw upon. Cheers for sharing.

As you can see from my profile waffle - I once misspelt the great man's name.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2024, 08:39:34 am »
Fabulous thread.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2024, 09:45:54 am »
Fascinating. Cheers Teine
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2024, 05:30:49 pm »
Black & white times. Lovely.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2024, 05:37:08 pm »
What an incredible coincidence. Mad that.

Thanks for sharing teine
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp