Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219482 times)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1200 on: November 11, 2021, 10:28:11 pm »
I have an industrial strength dislike of Villa, so despite seeing him take an undoubted step-up in his career Im a bit torn (ditto Rafa/Bitters).....on the plus side, I can go happily go back to hating Rangers again...

Maybe take a day off from hating, disliking etc.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1201 on: November 11, 2021, 10:44:35 pm »

How can anyone hate or dislike a team that is supported by Prince Wiiliam, Nigel Kennedy and Lord Digby Jones? ;D

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1202 on: November 12, 2021, 12:24:29 pm »
How can anyone hate or dislike a team that is supported by Prince Wiiliam, Nigel Kennedy and Lord Digby Jones? ;D
How can you forget big Dave Cameron
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: November 12, 2021, 04:26:07 pm »
How can you forget big Dave Cameron

See below. ;D

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1205 on: November 12, 2021, 04:56:06 pm »

nah...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1206 on: November 13, 2021, 12:03:31 pm »
I think it's a really good move for him. There's basically little downside as there's no chance they get relegated, so if he can get them into the top half and stay there over the next few years, with perhaps European qualification and a domestic cup thrown on top as a cherry, he'll be considered a success.

If his Raison D'etre is the Liverpool job,  winning titles at Rangers will improve his cv and employability
What can he achieve at Villa that is considered success?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: November 13, 2021, 12:21:11 pm »
If his Raison D'etre is the Liverpool job,  winning titles at Rangers will improve his cv and employability
What can he achieve at Villa that is considered success?

Would it though? Neil Lennon won many titles at Celtic. Would you take him?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1208 on: November 13, 2021, 12:27:18 pm »

It’s his first step isn’t it.

No one would take Lennon because winning stuff at Celtic is the height is his managerial career. It’ll be tough for Gerrard to win things at Villa but he’s recognised that he needs to manage in the Premier League at some point.

I think people on both sides of the Gerrard for Liverpool debate need to just relax and see what happens. Hopefully Klopp stays beyond his current contract. If he doesn’t we’ve still got a few years to enjoy him. Potential successors could enhance or ruin their chances in the next couple of years but for now let’s see how they get on.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: November 13, 2021, 12:31:15 pm »
Different situation I feel, Stevie has ended complete Dominance from Celtic with a club that has had difficult recent times

What can he do at Villa that helps his cause

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1210 on: November 13, 2021, 12:36:03 pm »
Just don't think winning anything else at Rangers would necessarily do anything in terms of how suitable he is for bigger jobs. Celtic have been a shambles for a couple of years. Still a fantastic job from him to win the league with Rangers, but Celtic are at their weakest point in years.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: November 13, 2021, 12:40:06 pm »
Just don't think winning anything else at Rangers would necessarily do anything in terms of how suitable he is for bigger jobs. Celtic have been a shambles for a couple of years. Still a fantastic job from him to win the league with Rangers, but Celtic are at their weakest point in years.

What tangible success can he  achieve at Villa though?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1212 on: November 13, 2021, 12:44:38 pm »
That's really up to Villa fans to decide what success is.
I guess being a mid table to top 10 team and a few cup runs while playing decent football would do it.
No matter what he does anywhere else, he could still end up at Liverpool and be a flop.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1213 on: November 13, 2021, 12:46:19 pm »
What tangible success can he  achieve at Villa though?

In the next 2-3 years? Qualifying them for Europe (even the Conference) would be seen as a very good achievement. Winning a domestic cup, which feels very difficult but not impossible.

Beyond that it’s hard to know and people might say he hasn’t done enough when talk of Klopp’s successor comes up. If he has Villa playing well and an established top half side (think I read they haven’t finished top half since about 2010), I’d say that was very decent but I know that wouldn’t be enough for some, especially if other options were available who had won titles and European trophies elsewhere.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: November 13, 2021, 01:00:30 pm »
It's also a great opportunity to see how he competes with the creme de la creme of football management (and Eddie Howe) :  his organisation,  in game changes,  does he innovate.  On the highest stage of the game. 

As good a chance as we'll get to assess his level.  Also the old mindset where player quality is distinctly differentiated by club size is inaccurate these days imo,  top division english sides all have access to the highest quality players in the world market,  more or less. Individual scouting,  decision making,  action plays a big part now, hopefully resulting in more upward mobility for any club that is run very well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 01:10:40 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: November 13, 2021, 01:03:31 pm »
In the next 2-3 years? Qualifying them for Europe (even the Conference) would be seen as a very good achievement. Winning a domestic cup, which feels very difficult but not impossible.

Beyond that it’s hard to know and people might say he hasn’t done enough when talk of Klopp’s successor comes up. If he has Villa playing well and an established top half side (think I read they haven’t finished top half since about 2010), I’d say that was very decent but I know that wouldn’t be enough for some, especially if other options were available who had won titles and European trophies elsewhere.

Im not sure that gets you noticed

think he will be better off waiting to replace Klopps replacement rather than the man himself

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: November 13, 2021, 01:10:06 pm »

think he will be better off waiting to replace Klopps replacement rather than the man himself

Noticed by who? He's one of the best players in the history of our club. He doesn't need to get noticed. He'll be in the conversation of fans and media when Klopp leaves regardless of how he does at Villa.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: November 13, 2021, 01:13:07 pm »
Noticed by who? He's one of the best players in the history of our club. He doesn't need to get noticed. He'll be in the conversation of fans and media when Klopp leaves regardless of how he does at Villa.

If thats the case he might as well stay at home

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1218 on: November 13, 2021, 01:14:21 pm »

That’s also true. I thought about typing that out! I meant if he does a ‘good’ job at Villa that might get him a job at a side a tier up (whoever that may be in a couple of years time).

Hard to know!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1219 on: November 13, 2021, 01:20:04 pm »
If thats the case he might as well stay at home

I don't disagree. But even if Villa got relegated, people will still talk about his suitability for the Liverpool job.
There are people out there that couldn't give a toss whether he has earned the right as a manager. For them, his playing career has earned it. Thankfully they won't be involved in making the decision.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: November 13, 2021, 01:56:17 pm »
I don't disagree. But even if Villa got relegated, people will still talk about his suitability for the Liverpool job.
There are people out there that couldn't give a toss whether he has earned the right as a manager. For them, his playing career has earned it. Thankfully they won't be involved in making the decision.

You're talking like he has done fuck all since going into management.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: November 13, 2021, 02:00:24 pm »
Carragher on the subject of his 'apprenticeship':-
Steven Gerrard will only ever want to become Liverpool manager on merit, and the Liverpool supporters will only want him to become Liverpool manager on those terms, not because of some kind of romantic homecoming. When Klopp goes, Liverpool will only employ the best man for the job, as they did when making their last appointment in 2015. Gerrard's connection is an advantage if the day comes when he is a serious candidate. Until then, it is a subject overplayed and should not be on the agenda right now.

There's a few on here who would have no qualms about giving him the job irrespective of how he fares  once Klopp leaves. It's bonkers.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: November 13, 2021, 02:02:12 pm »

To date, he's done nothing of note that would warrant him getting the job here.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1223 on: November 13, 2021, 02:07:48 pm »
There's a few on here who would have no qualms about giving him the job irrespective of how he fares  once Klopp leaves. It's bonkers.

If there are, I've not seen their posts, can you point one out?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: November 13, 2021, 02:08:36 pm »

And there are some that want Pep to be given the job despite how bad he was in Holland.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1225 on: November 13, 2021, 02:23:09 pm »
If there are, I've not seen their posts, can you point one out?

Haven't delved too much into this thread but i can assure you I've had disagreements with a couple in recent months in the Rangers thread.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: November 13, 2021, 02:23:34 pm »
And there are some that want Pep to be given the job despite how bad he was in Holland.

Was it really that bad?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-fc-news-pep-lijnders-nec-nijmegen-a8355701.html

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: November 13, 2021, 02:25:56 pm »
Who would you like it to be?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: November 13, 2021, 02:36:29 pm »
Who would you like it to be?

Jürgen to sign a short term extension,beyond that I'm not even thinking about it.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1229 on: November 13, 2021, 02:53:55 pm »
I think he needed to get the “not done it in the PL” hoodoo off his back, and he wasn’t going to get / take a job at any of the PL sides who you’d consider to be in with a chance of winning things, so seems Villa was one of the next best.

It’s a step up from Rangers IMO. Is having another couple of SPL titles on his CV ultimately better experience than improving this Villa side and competing against some of the best managers in the world currently.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: November 13, 2021, 03:05:37 pm »

Cant see where I've said that, but fire on making things up  :wave

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: November 13, 2021, 03:07:27 pm »
Cant see where I've said that, but fire on making things up  :wave

Talking like

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: November 13, 2021, 03:08:36 pm »
Still a fantastic job from him to win the league with Rangers

Indeed

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1233 on: November 13, 2021, 08:21:40 pm »
I've kept thinking about this move for him, and in my mind it had a link with something my son is doing, putting his spare wages in to crypto currency speculation. Bear with me, as I had no clue how that stuff wasn't just a sort of wild west of speculating. To some extent it still is, but the money involved means there are lots of big players doing big money things - undoubtedly to some extent because real banks print money when it suits them, and some of the major governments in the world are no more trustworthy than currency companies, to put it mildly, so a lot of serious money has opted out of the old school systems. What I in the end figured out was that you have to get a sense of what type of investment instrument each currency is. There's around 200 that should be taken seriously. Who started it, what can it be used for beyond speculation and what are the funding levels, how has it performed so far, what will affect it in the near future. It then occurred to me that modern football at the highest level has similarities.
I also had a look at some of his post match interviews as Rangers manager to feed in to my thoughts. I've always had this blood sweat and tears kind of view of him as a player, so I expected a Keegan at Newcastle kind of manager of him. He came across as much more of an orchestrator than I expected, with decent man management skills already. Then you start to remember his youth coaching job at our place, which means he has some exposure to the data analysis, conditioning, micro understood fitness levels, red zones etc, all that this far in to the Klopp era stuff. Then you remember that Purslow is at Villa, and that their owners are worth 10 times what Brighton's owner is, there or thereabouts, probably around double what Henry is worth, with the possibility that all of FSG put them almost on a par, at best. I think he goes in to Villa as the first proper 21st century manager they have ever had. It will be more like Houllier going to Arsenal than his later excursion to Villa. His success is unlikely to be as influential as Ged was, as the financial playing field is not as level. The excellence of the best machine still meets the battering ram of financial clout from even bigger players. Nevertheless, Stevie and Purslow will get as near to the current Liverpool model as they can. The players will be like the Rangers lot, will have seen his on the pitch excellence as a standard to strive for. The instrument to invest in is there, and they will operate like a mini Liverpool, which will, with the rub of the green, get them in to the middle of the table. That is a very comfortable place to be in the football world these days.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:28:49 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1234 on: November 14, 2021, 08:29:31 am »
^^^^^^

Yeah, but what about his commute down to Birmingham though?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: November 14, 2021, 10:06:55 am »
Which is exactly the problem. Hopefully FSG (if they’re still here) will make a hard nosed unsentimental decision and appoint a manager with impeccable credentials, rather than apply bias to a “local legend”.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: November 14, 2021, 10:37:13 am »

I don't think so. If he does a poor job at Villa he's more or less no chance of taking over from Klopp when he eventually goes. FSG as they shown when Kenny was moved aside don't give a hoot about sentimentality. Now if he failed at Villa went to a Southampton or Leeds and did a good job there then he may be in the conversation in years to come.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: November 14, 2021, 05:38:57 pm »
I don't think so. If he does a poor job at Villa he's more or less no chance of taking over from Klopp when he eventually goes. FSG as they shown when Kenny was moved aside don't give a hoot about sentimentality. Now if he failed at Villa went to a Southampton or Leeds and did a good job there then he may be in the conversation in years to come.

And the operative term is 'in years to come'.

Whoever replaces Klopp will have to be in the top echelon. Gerrard won't to be in that strata when Klopp leaves.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1238 on: November 14, 2021, 06:20:42 pm »
Which is exactly the problem. Hopefully FSG (if they’re still here) will make a hard nosed unsentimental decision and appoint a manager with impeccable credentials, rather than apply bias to a “local legend”.

Also in the past we know how an ex playing legend who did well for Rangers didn't do too well for us as the manager:
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: November 14, 2021, 10:14:02 pm »
Also in the past we know how an ex playing legend who did well for Rangers didn't do too well for us as the manager:

Back then though Rangers had great funding and had been signing some top English players so, on paper, it looked like Souness could handle the job here.

As we all know that was a bit of a false dream.