Author Topic: Tommy Smith - Can at least we as Liverpudlians get it right about him  (Read 47044 times)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
Re: Tommy Smith - Can at least we as Liverpudlians get it right about him
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2019, 02:10:02 pm »
Harinder's post about who ranks as Liverpool's finest ever centre back revealed to me just how seemingly unaware the internet fan-base has become about one of Liverpool's finest ever players. I'm sure a corresponding unawareness exists in respect of other stalwarts from yesteryear but nowhere is it exemplified more than in the case of Tommy Smith.

For that reason I'm of the mind that Tommy Smith merits a thread of his own for those who did see him week in week out during his mid '60's halcyon days to reminisce and celebrate the joys of his unique talents, whilst at the same time perhaps at long last going a small way towards correcting the imbalance which seems to colour the perception of Tommy Smith the footballer.

There exists amongst many Liverpudlians - including many who witnessed only his later '70's years in the right back role - let alone amongst the wider footballing fraternity a kind of ultra-convenient one dimensional categorising of Tommy Smith as simply the hard man. Indeed, the absence of wall-to-wall television back then seems to have 'airbrushed' the footballing side of Tommy Smith from even Liverpool footballing history let alone that of English/European football.

Fact was whilst not "quite" possessed of the supercool elegance of Alan Hansen or Franz Beckebauer, Smithy was actually as good as if not a better all round footballer than Jocky and not a million miles off the level of the Kaiser.

The convenient stereotyping dictates will always be Smithy the iron man, the hard man, the bully. There's no doubting he was all that. And more besides. The hardest around. Ron Harris and Norman Hunter really don't come close to Smith's level of on pitch toughness. However, the hard man image doesn't begin to do justice to Smith's all round footballing abilities during that initial 4/5 year mid '60's spell when he wore the number 10 jersey alongside big Rowdy just as we were embarking on our inaugural European adventures.

There are glimpses of the sort of on the ball skills to which I'm referring in the television snatches of the Inter Milan semi final and the '65 FA Cup final. They reveal a beautifully balanced powerful and skilful player driving forward out of defence able to ghost past the opposition and deliver inch perfect weighted passes. These surges invariably followed yet another crunching tackle  or Masherano type interception in which he'd taken the ball [yeah and often the man too].

As one of the privileged ones who watched him week in week out I can vouch Smithy made those sort of surges with a frequency and success rate that Jocky Hansen could only dream of emulating some 15 years or so later.

Allied to these under-appreciated ball playing skills were his unparralled tackling skills, sound ariel ability, innate game reading and organisational ability, peerless leadership, bravery and an inspirational never say die indomitable spirit leaving me with not the slightest hesitation in putting Tommy Smith not only right up at the top of my own list of Liverpool centre backs by some distance but also in the very highest echelon of Liverpool's finest ever players in any position.

A well-presented, shrewd and perfect encapsulation of the merits of the man who was very wrongly branded a "dirty" player. I'm as many here will already know, a United fan who appreciates and has always appreciated master craftsmen about their trade. Tommy Smith was one such and for a lot of Liverpool's glory years. I'd go as far as to say there was a period when no-one could equal him in the middle of the park. So very sad to hear of his untimely leaving but ever ready to mark his massive contribution to the Liverpool cause over all the years of success.
Finally, there may have been other non-football things that could be questionable about his remarks and views off the park but never on it. The fella was imperious.
This little anecdote that did the rounds back in the day perfectly sums up the Anfield Iron.
"Tommy missed the 1978 European Cup Final after tripping over a pickaxe at home and injuring his foot. The pickaxe was a write-off". Rest in peace fella.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Re: Tommy Smith (The Anfield Iron) R.I.P.
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2019, 02:25:44 pm »
RIP Tommy lad a true legend
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2019, 02:37:07 pm »
How great do you have to be to get a nickname like that from Scousers?

Big respect and RIP to one of our immortals.

Forever in our hearts.
Kill the humourless

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2019, 02:41:21 pm »
So sad, knew this day was near but its still terrible news.

What a player, thanks for all the memories. RIP.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2019, 02:49:01 pm »
RIP to a true Liverpool great.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2019, 03:09:11 pm »
RIP thanks for the memories and commitment to this great club and city. Great, great player

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2019, 04:48:28 pm »
Could never understand just 1 England cap.

Offline Bootleorbust

• Main Stander
  • Not quite sorted
« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2019, 06:27:27 pm »
Very saddened to hear about his passing. I’ll never forget the goal against Borussia Moenchengladbach, but my favourite memory of him is when he nutmegged Johann Cruyff

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2019, 06:36:45 pm »
Too young to have seen him play properly so i've only seen videos. From everything i've heard he was a wonderful player

Sad news to hear he passed, RIP Tommy

Offline Cohiba

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2019, 06:58:45 pm »
I saw this sad news last night, but couldnt face posting. Tommy was a true hardman, striking visible fear into opposition players. If you ever met him around the stadium he had this aura about him of hardness, almost an invincibility and you could fully understand how it would be a deep mental challenge for any footballer to know that they had to play against him.

He sacrificed his body for this great club, and also brought us our first big ears, with a goal that epitomised his determination.

I recall a charity game many years ago where Tommy was called onto the pitch at half time to take a penalty. He was on sticks and obviously in pain, but he still managed to put the ball in the back of the net. Such a tough man.

Tommy you are and will always be part of our proud history. Rest in peace, Tommy,  you were a hero to many.

YNWA
Every great achievement
Was believed to be impossible at one time

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2019, 12:09:56 am »
RIP
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #291 on: April 14, 2019, 12:28:01 am »
RIP Tommy.

Offline Batukop

• needy little fucker
  • Anny Roader
  • Pure Shores
« Reply #292 on: April 14, 2019, 01:05:39 am »
RIP Tommy..... 92A you wrote a wonderful post about this man. You're a great writer.
"You may have found me mean and thirsty in my search for trophies, but the bad news is the man who is taking my place is hungrier than me. Fagan's the name and I don't think he'll need any help from the Artful Dodger!" Bob Paisley on Joe Fagan.

Shear me. Shear my ass. Make me naked.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #293 on: April 14, 2019, 01:25:33 am »
Couple of generations removed from Tommy, but one of those famous names you grow up hearing about. Great to read some of the tributes and see the highlight reels. Gutted I never got to see him or any of the rest of his generation play.

RIP.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #294 on: April 14, 2019, 09:41:00 am »
I've always liked this famous game for what it says about Tommy Smith. Not the famous hard-tackling player, but the creative and skilful one who liked to play out from the back. It's the '70 derby and Tommy is caught in possession for the first Everton goal, trying to do the right thing. But like Danny Agger against Wigan a few years back, having fucked it up, he doesn't retreat into his shell and start hoofing. He perseveres and gets Liverpool back into the game by continuing to play football from the back. Watch his part in Heighway's goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3asuHnsr-Q

As you and I well know Yorky, they were reigning champions, Holy Trinity, Big Joe, Pretty Whittle, the lot.
Shanks was assembling his second great side, and only Lawler, Smith and Callaghan were to play for both. Three players who didnt/don’t get the recognition they deserve/d.

None of those  three would have played as many games as they did for Shanks or Bob if they weren’t highly skilled players.
People talk about Fabhino being able to play full back as well as midfield as well as fill in at centre back.
Smith could play all three positions, and did so as a regular. He switched to Full back after Shanks rethought centre back play with Hughes and Lloyd and then Hughes and Thommo.

Smith could play football alright.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #295 on: April 14, 2019, 09:44:14 am »
I saw this sad news last night, but couldnt face posting. Tommy was a true hardman, striking visible fear into opposition players. If you ever met him around the stadium he had this aura about him of hardness, almost an invincibility and you could fully understand how it would be a deep mental challenge for any footballer to know that they had to play against him.

He sacrificed his body for this great club, and also brought us our first big ears, with a goal that epitomised his determination.

I recall a charity game many years ago where Tommy was called onto the pitch at half time to take a penalty. He was on sticks and obviously in pain, but he still managed to put the ball in the back of the net. Such a tough man.

Tommy you are and will always be part of our proud history. Rest in peace, Tommy,  you were a hero to many.

YNWA

That penno cost him. Some bluenose complained to the DHSS as it was. He was apparently claiming mobility and the blue snitched saying Smith was a benefit cheat  ::)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2019, 12:02:58 pm »
As you and I well know Yorky, they were reigning champions, Holy Trinity, Big Joe, Pretty Whittle, the lot.
Shanks was assembling his second great side, and only Lawler, Smith and Callaghan were to play for both. Three players who didnt/don’t get the recognition they deserve/d.

None of those  three would have played as many games as they did for Shanks or Bob if they weren’t highly skilled players.
People talk about Fabhino being able to play full back as well as midfield as well as fill in at centre back.
Smith could play all three positions, and did so as a regular. He switched to Full back after Shanks rethought centre back play with Hughes and Lloyd and then Hughes and Thommo.

Smith could play football alright.

Over 2000 apperances for the club between them.

I've just realised that when I first saw him play in 1965 he was only 21! He looked and played like a grizzled 28 year old even at that age. And when you think that other teams had the likes of Norman Hunter and "Chopper" Harris Tommy Smith was essential to the survival of the likes of Peter Thompson and Willie Stevenson.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2019, 12:17:53 pm »
RIP

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2019, 02:29:45 pm »
Could never understand just 1 England cap.

It was, to quote our very own messiah in his broadest Glenbuck, a travesty of justice. Certainly as far as I've always been concerned.

My own opinion [see my earlier post 131 in this thread], formulated from watching us home and away in the mid to late '60's era against the very best in English and European opposition, was that Franz Beckenbauer was the only central defender I ever saw who could be said to eclipse the level of play in that role which Tommy Smith brought to the table week in week out.

As it was, Bobby Moore was the player who kept Smithy out of the England team during that period.

Moore was a superb defender as we all know only too well. His reading of the game at the back - his finest attribute - could at times be unreal. He was also from Dagenham, blond, blue-eyed and handsome and the darling of the London media. Had he had the exact same footballing gifts and hailed from Lambeth Road in Kirkdale with a gob like the back of a bus and with lanky hair then he'd never have gotten a look in as England's number 6 and captain because there was a similar looking guy from that neck of the woods who was actually superior to Moore in every other aspect of the game who would surely have bestrode the international stage for the period Moore did.

Regrettably, there's not much video footage of Tommy in that mid to late '60's period when he was at his undoubted peak. The following You Tube clip hosted by Vinnie Jones is intended to illustrate how brutal Tommy could be. Thankfully it also gives a few glimpses of the stellar and peerless talent which those of us who used to see him every week were privileged to witness and provides some backing as to why he will always be at the very pinnacle of my own personal favourite Red footballing pantheon even if most Reds nowadays do not seem to share such a view.   

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a1MR_50f4T8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a1MR_50f4T8</a>

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2019, 09:40:24 am »
That goal in 77, I can see as clearly now in my mind as when it happened. Hard man, great footballer. Great footballer, hard man.

Lovely ovation for him yesterday as well.

RIP Tommy
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: April 15, 2019, 10:34:08 am »
RIP Sir as everything we see today was built on the foundation you put down with the other legends of the 60s and Bill Shankly. I may have seen that goal on TV in Rome but at 6 years of age its a fuzzy memory at best, there is no doubt that the class & determination we saw on the park for over 15 plus years is a standard the rest that followed rarely ever matched. YNWA.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2019, 01:05:30 pm »

The redoubtable Tommy Smith. Fearless in every respect and a wonderful footballer. 

RIP Tommy. A sad loss to your family, friends and our club. Thanks for the memories and thanks for everything.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: April 15, 2019, 02:06:48 pm »
RIP
bollocks

Offline happydaze

• ...arefuckinhereagain!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #303 on: April 15, 2019, 02:51:04 pm »
RIP Tommy ,

You are right up there with the legends of our club.
Mr Shankly set this club on its way to the glory years I was lucky enough to live through , and maybe Mr Klopp is about to restore us to our rightful perch , the best in the land.
But Shanks couldn't have done it without lads like you sir, local lads who had lived through the dark and frustrating years of our attempts to regain top division status , so close so many times but then we did it.
And the glory years started.
Along with the other lads in red you played your part.
You are remembered as a hard man, but you were more than that, much more. A footballing brain , a winner , a footballer.
Highlights? Well so many.............. Wembley 74 , Scouse total football at its best........and of course Roma 77, that header. They should have put a blue plaque on your head at the spot that ball was so sweetly dispatched into the back of the BMG net...I bet you never even felt it hit you it was such a perfect header.

The 1965 FA cup winning team are the first reds I can cleary recall watching....that win set us on our way.

So thank you Tommy, thank you so much.

To your family , deepest condolences. Alzheimners is a horrible thing , I have just recently lost my own Dad to it.
Thanks for lending your husband, Dad, grandad to us for his playing career.
Alzheimers robs you of you memory, its a terrrible thing.

But Tommy Smith, footballer , scouser, Redman, will live long in the memory of Reds who saw him , and in the history of Liverpool Football Club for ever.

Offline Rick13

• Main Stander
« Reply #304 on: April 17, 2019, 11:30:58 am »
Well said, Johnno and Timbo.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tommy at the PFA awards dinner in 1997 (I got my ticket from a journalist friend). Thanked Tommy for sending me an autographed photo of himself back in 1970 after I had written to him from Ireland; I was so thrilled to receive it and still have it today. Found him very affable and remember him telling a shocked me about the strained relationship he had with Emlyn Hughes during their playing days. Really down-to-earth guy.

Rest In Peace, Tommy. Thanks for all the wonderful memories you gave me as a teenager.
"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2019, 10:43:51 pm »
RIP Tommy YNWA.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:54 pm »
I've not seen this one before, good image, RIP you utter legend

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2019, 07:36:56 am »
RIP Tommy.. Hope Liverpool FC continue to make you smile from heaven..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2019, 10:14:29 am »
Missed out on this thread due to being away.

Absolute legend of the club. As kids, we weren't just inspired by him for all the wrong reasons, but also all the right ones.

Not just a hard man by any means, he was a beautiful striker of a football. My abiding memories of him consist mainly of him striking pinpoint forty yard crossfield daisy cutters with either foot, effortlessly. As a kid, the technical aspect of getting a perfect contact on the ball drove me to extraordinary lengths, and Smithy was the main inspiration. One of my other abiding memories was when he was in the wall facing a freekick at the Kop end. A thunderbolt of a shot hit him full in the face. I'm talking right on the nose - and with a 'real' football. The thud could be heard on Queens Drive, yet Smithy just gave a Popeye-like shake of the head (to much tittering all around the ground) and got on with it. Must have hurt like fuck but there was no way he was going to show it.

No matter how much he tried to make people dislike him, I still can't help loving the bloke.

Thanks Smithy. RIP
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2019, 04:17:16 am »
Tommy Smith had parked his car in the street outside Anfield back in the days when the team trained there, before Melwood had been built.

Scally:   "Mind yer car for yer, Tommy?"

"No thanks, lad" answered Tommy, "I've got the dog in the back",  pointing to a snarling German Shepherd, who hadn't yet had his breakfast.

"Nice dog, that, Tommy",  said the lad, before adding "Can he put fires out?"

Tommy turned sharply on his heel, grinning, and gave the kid half-a-crown,  no doubt recognising a little bit of himself in the lad, being from Scotland Road.

Well, it made me smile.........

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2019, 10:01:10 pm »
Tell you something mate. My ex brother-in-law is a Scouser but of the blue variety sadly. He told me that exact same story - word for word - many years ago but he told it as though it had happened to HIM!! Now then, having just read your Tommy post, I'm wondering whether it a) ever really happened to Tommy or b) whether it really happened to Dave my ex-brother-in-law or c) whether it's just a great old Scouse story that NEVER really happened to anyone!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #311 on: June 1, 2019, 07:46:32 am »
Tell you something mate. My ex brother-in-law is a Scouser but of the blue variety sadly. He told me that exact same story - word for word - many years ago but he told it as though it had happened to HIM!! Now then, having just read your Tommy post, I'm wondering whether it a) ever really happened to Tommy or b) whether it really happened to Dave my ex-brother-in-law or c) whether it's just a great old Scouse story that NEVER really happened to anyone!
probably (c) because of this:
"No thanks, lad" answered Tommy, "I've got the dog in the back",  pointing to a snarling German Shepherd, who hadn't yet had his breakfast."

...amazing detail...!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2020, 11:21:13 pm »
I've always liked this famous game for what it says about Tommy Smith. Not the famous hard-tackling player, but the creative and skilful one who liked to play out from the back. It's the '70 derby and Tommy is caught in possession for the first Everton goal, trying to do the right thing. But like Danny Agger against Wigan a few years back, having fucked it up, he doesn't retreat into his shell and start hoofing. He perseveres and gets Liverpool back into the game by continuing to play football from the back. Watch his part in Heighway's goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3asuHnsr-Q

Spot on re those surges out of defence Yorky. That whittle goal must have been one of the few times Tommy was ever caught out in one of his slalom surges.

As for the video. What a day that was. Not sure if the Kop has ever been louder or madder than when Chrissy lawler put that one in. Off the scale. Cheers Yorky.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2020, 05:49:39 am »
Spot on re those surges out of defence Yorky. That whittle goal must have been one of the few times Tommy was ever caught out in one of his slalom surges.

As for the video. What a day that was. Not sure if the Kop has ever been louder or madder than when Chrissy lawler put that one in. Off the scale. Cheers Yorky.
Surely the greatest derby ever.
In those days there were fewer goals scored(and definitely in the derby) - I think we were singing YNWA in pure relief to have come back from 2-0 in a derby when Lawler hit that cross-shot...I lost sight of the ball as it came across and then saw people jumping up and down further down the Kop...I had to crane my neck(increduously) until I could see the ball bobbing up and down in the net and allow myself to celebrate.
That bit where the Kop was punching the air chanting Liv-er-pool was for a corner and I vividly remember Alan Ball jogging back for the corner and looking up at the Kop with his mouth wide open :) 
After the game there were groups of fans hanging onto each other all over the Kop...the fans were as exhausted as the players :)
....and well done Tommy for setting up the comeback first goal  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:56:22 am by free_at_last »

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2020, 06:15:41 am »
Surely the greatest derby ever.
In those days there were fewer goals scored(and definitely in the derby) - I think we were singing YNWA in pure relief to have come back from 2-0 in a derby when Lawler hit that cross-shot...I lost sight of the ball as it came across and then saw people jumping up and down further down the Kop...I had to crane my neck(increduously) until I could see the ball bobbing up and down in the net and allow myself to celebrate.
That bit where the Kop was punching the air chanting Liv-er-pool was for a corner and I vividly remember Alan Ball jogging back for the corner and looking up at the Kop with his mouth wide open :) 
After the game there were groups of fans hanging onto each other all over the Kop...the fans were as exhausted as the players :)
....and well done Tommy for setting up the comeback first goal  :)

Can you remember when YNWA was adopted as our song? Was it ever sung before Gerry Marsden did his version?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2020, 07:37:56 am »
It's often stated how underrated Tommy Smith's skill on the ball was,not from those who saw him play tho.
Another one to the list of fine comebacks at Anfield, top Everton side despatched too with a sublime strike from Lawler to seal it.
Right up there with the best derbies ever..as good as that was, it doesn't beat winning the FA cup in '86 for me.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2020, 09:37:28 am »
Can you remember when YNWA was adopted as our song? Was it ever sung before Gerry Marsden did his version?
When Gerry Marsden released YNWA it was top of the charts and was played at the game over the tannoy. The Kop used to sing it when it was played and eventually adopted it as our anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRWcPOQG8Gc

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2022, 02:11:07 pm »
A few videos and some info on Tommy Smith...

Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Smith_(footballer,_born_1945)

LFCHistory.net Player Profile page: www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/413

LiverpoolFC.com Player Profile page: www.liverpoolfc.com/history/past-players/tommy-smith

'Liverpool Legend - Tommy Smith' - a 5 minute video; 1'00 players That Shook The Kop':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fvNm-kQwJuk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fvNm-kQwJuk</a>

'50 Men Who Made LFC: Tommy Smith' - a 1 minute video:-

www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/50-men-who-made-lfc-tommy-smith/10156021407247573

'Tommy Smith - The Anfield Iron' - a 6 minute tribute style video:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XNAxhPlzfNg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XNAxhPlzfNg</a>

'Soccer's Hard Men - Tommy Smith' - a 7 minute video segment, with players talking about how good he was - and not just a 'hard man':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a1MR_50f4T8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a1MR_50f4T8</a>

''Referee Should Be Shot' (Tommy "Gun" Smith Exclusive)' - Tommy letting his opinion be known on a referee decision he disagreed with:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dsc0bn52xiw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dsc0bn52xiw</a>

'Liverpool Legend Tommy Smith on Bill Shankly':-

https://twitter.com/ScouseBeaut/status/886908558339710976

'Tommy Smith and Geoff Strong scoring vs Celtic in the 1966 Cup Winners Cup semi-final':-

https://twitter.com/MerseyGoals/status/854672996115599360

'Tommy with a penalty for the Reds in 1967':-

https://twitter.com/JohnJNicolson/status/906406587748814848

'Liverpool 3 - 2 Everton - Merseyside Derby - 21st November 1970':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F3asuHnsr-Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F3asuHnsr-Q</a>

'Tommy Smith scoring for Liverpool vs Wolves in 1970':-

https://twitter.com/Fan89Footy/status/1454387701663285249

'Liverpool Legends 1972/73' - a 5 minute video, on the Liverpool title winning team of that season:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FFAOXpwOsqY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FFAOXpwOsqY</a>

'Team America 1-3 England (1976)' - 10 minute video of Tommy fizzing passes around the pitch like Alonso or Molby:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hOIXbWVW1dY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hOIXbWVW1dY</a>

Tommy Smith goal - with a left foot rocket from 20 yards vs West Ham in '77:-

https://twitter.com/forgottengoals/status/1116758710456672256

'Smith heads Liverpool to glory (1977)' - a 1 minute video from UEFA:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/elslazJQBM4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/elslazJQBM4</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/elslazJQBM4

A 2 minute tribute style video of Tommy playing for Liverpool:-

https://twitter.com/estoesanfield_/status/1381492226224746496

ITV & BBC reporting his death in 2019 - a 4 minute video:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cQaVSD6sFnY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cQaVSD6sFnY</a>

'Anfield Tribute for Tommy Smith' - from LFC TV during the minute's applause for him at Anfield:-

www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/anfield-tribute-for-tommy-smith/2339796056253941

'Remembering Liverpool's 'Anfield Iron'' - a tribute video from LFC:-

www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/remembering-liverpools-anfield-iron/513672395833715

'R.I.P Tommy Smith' - a 4 minute tribute video set to photos from Tommy's playing days at Liverpool:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y5BxPC3RulI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Y5BxPC3RulI</a>

'Liverpool FC legend Tommy Smith shares his LFC medals and memories' - a 5 minute video from 2012, from the Liverpool Echo:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5Bxd7PjNSZ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5Bxd7PjNSZ0</a>

A few youtube playlists from seasons where Tommy Smith was playing for Liverpool:-

1962/63 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG4RuP5uYIm0edQ9gj8XkehRQcpfqfMjE : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/4

1963/64 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG4RuP5uYIm0edQ9gj8XkehRQcpfqfMjE : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/5

1964/65 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXstwndzSPgfb4FNHnLR93Sj (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/6

1965/66 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXuI-hfoq_QsOdEg9RYu8SQh (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/7

1966/67 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXsNF4Epikg4kl7SvWX_IG2O (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/8

1967/68 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXtTms4VwYIbAHvR835prU7x (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/9

1968/69 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXt3tsUGr0V6Sxa4N8bBGKTA (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/10

1969/70 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXvlk6Q6CCfg3KaMWh__1umF (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/11

1970/71 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXv8q4bhyV3Tr7dzt0HzaS_m (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/12

1971/72 : www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjCWIG_JQw&list=PLiIQcmZy0mXv-AflscLJxygYKisf9xC8J (by gr8footy) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/13

1972/73 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXunq2xStL6rpaBNcsS6v3CQ (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/14

1973/74 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXvROVGa9n72N79Bml3akmh8 (by idamaria7) : www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/15

1974/75 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXu-Qqo1GbqGhyfpo18hblAB

1975/76 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXtnx-5AFPRsZ-vsn9FP8l0J :

1976/77 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXsGf9u-uMQ212QgF3qjNLDF : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7FW8s2vJKh2YFQAC0fMQc9u

1977/78 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXuOmis0EmlvI8Fya0rH44pV : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7FhEdn9H7jpfqkk1w3sDLZi

some older Liverpool 'Club History' videos featuring Tommy Smith: www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg16108641#msg16108641

^ Tommy Smith collecting his MBE in 1977.

^ Tommy captaining the Liverpool side in the 1973 UEFA Cup Final (2nd leg - vs Borussia Moenchengladbach; Liverpool win 3-2 on aggregate)

'The 1965 Cup Final: Liverpool vs Leeds' - 7 minute highlights:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u59t5QpcoMk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u59t5QpcoMk</a>

'1974 FA Cup Final: Liverpool vs Newcastle' - 5 minute highlights:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xFY67LtZn-0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xFY67LtZn-0</a>

'ROME '77: Liverpool 3-1 Mönchengladbach | 4 minute highlights' - 'Tommy Smith... what an end to a career'

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5nRXzXbth9A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5nRXzXbth9A</a>

A few articles on Tommy Smith...

I didn’t just go around kicking people says Liverpool FC’s Tommy Smith: https://davidrandles.com/mersey-hardmen-i-didnt-just-go-around-kicking-people-says-liverpool-fcs-tommy-smith

The Lad From Liverpool Who Became Shanks’ Man And The Anfield Iron: www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/11/tommy-smith-the-lad-from-liverpool-who-became-shanks-man-and-the-anfield-iron

Tommy Smith: Anfield ‘enforcer’ who excelled in Liverpool’s glory years: www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/tommy-smith-death-liverpool-defender-anfield-iron-rome-1977-dead-a8877026.html

Tommy Smith MBE: https://playupliverpool.com/1977/12/10/tommy-smith-member-of-the-british-empire-m-b-e

Tommy Smith was known as the 'Anfield Iron' for good reason: www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tommy-smith-known-anfield-iron-14305352

Liverpool's iron man, Tommy Smith: www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3511

Tommy Smith - Hard man: www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2420

Tommy Smith: The Anfield Iron: https://footballbh.net/2019/04/13/tommy-smith-liverpool-anfield-iron

Scouse Captains: Tommy Smith – A complicated hero and a contradictory life: www.thisisanfield.com/2018/03/liverpool-fc-scouse-captains-tommy-smith-complicated-hero-contradictory-life

Anfield Iron inspired, intimidated and led Liverpool into their glory years: www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-smith-anfield-iron-inspired-16122877

Smithy: I feared the worst (on his heart attack aged 62): www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2043

Liverpool FC legend Tommy Smith's daughter tells of his struggle with dementia: www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fc-legend-tommy-smiths-12659403

My Wall Of Fame - Tommy Smith: https://myliverpoolfc.org/smith.htm

Transfermarkt info on Tommy Smith: www.transfermarkt.com/tommy-smith/profil/spieler/176056

Rest in peace, Tommy Smith: www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/345657-rest-in-peace-tommy-smith

Former Liverpool captain passes away aged 74: www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-tommy-smith-dead-former-14304765

Tommy Smith, former Liverpool defender and captain, dies aged 74: www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/12/tommy-smith-liverpool-dies-captain-defender

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video thread' content info for years gone by, recent times, Season Reviews, Cup Final victories - Domestic, European, and World...

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576 & www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.0

« Last Edit: August 9, 2023, 06:18:45 pm by Titi Camara »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576