Author Topic: Looking back on the 2014 World Cup - what are your thoughts?  (Read 6180 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Just a quick thread as we wind down now.

What are your lasting impressions of this tournament? Favourite moments? Stories?

How will you remember it?

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
Re: Looking back on the 2014 World Cup - what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:27 am »
Best World Cup ever.

Sexiest quarter final  ever.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:54:28 am »
I think it certainly ranks as my favourite tournament. Would have loved one of the 'surprise packages', ie. Chile, Colombia or Costa Rica, to have made the last 4 but you can't have it all.

Deserving winners, drama, an a record-equalling number of goals. Can't do much better than that.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:59:10 am »
Definitely my favourite World Cup as well.

Loved watching some of the USA matches, in particular against Portugal and Belgium. Mexico, Chile, Columbia to name a few more were also really enjoyable to watch.

Highlight has to be the Germany 7-1 win against Brazil. As shit as Brazil are/were, that was still a footballing master-class.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:10 am »
Best World Cup i have seen but thats not difficult to achieve because i only remember it to France 98 and even then i wasnt that into football then.

Thought the group stages were great but the knockouts fizzled out a bit, particularly after the round of 16.

I dont think it was helped by Argentina and Holland going so far though seeing how negative they were. Would have had a more exciting tournament if somehow the semis would have had Chile and Colombia.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:05 am »
The classic underdog role and how they brought about results was the highlight of this World Cup for sure. Had a bit of everything. But everyone loves the underdog. You could see in these threads. People watching etc. Everybody loves the hero. The old phrase never write off the Germans has finally come to fruitition. Deserved winners in the end.

The best World Cup ever? I wouldn't know. Best one I've seen in my lifetime so far anyway. But for some strange reason the build up to it all didn't bring out the same excitement that South Africa did even though it was twice the tournament. Strange one.

Is it august yet?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:18:54 am »
I hated it.

Being in Australia, missing most of the games because of them being on at an ungodly hour. Couldn't get caught up in the excitement like other tournaments.

Good riddance, and role on August when I can justify going into work knackered from watching the reds!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 11:31:26 am »
It was fun. When is our first friendly? ;D
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:31:53 am »
Loved the Aussie retro collar & the American red white & blue kits.

I didn't watch much of the knockout phase but thought the group stage was as good as any I've seen.
A great spectacle but Luis kind of took the shine off it for me, I really wanted to see him star in this one.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 11:39:26 am »
Out of the WC's in my personal lifetime that I remember watching, it has been my favourite (the first I remember is 98)

Best team won also. Just gutted Portugal did so poorly.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:18 am »
Overall it was a great world cup, lots of exciting games and attacking football, even the 0-0s were good in parts.

Whilst it was enjoyable with most teams quite attacking I'm not sure the quality of football was that high however. Most of the great goals and great play were provided by moments of individual brilliance. There were not as many examples of fantastic team attacks with Columbia & Germany looking the good in this respect. There were so many moments where players has teammates in great positions but did not pass and went for an impossible run/shot. I'm sure some of this was due to individuals wanting to make a name for themselves and chasing glory.

Obviously some of the above is coloured by the fact that 3 teams that you hoped would provide pretty football, Spain, Brazil & Argentina all didn't for various reasons. Spain didn't turn up, Brazil relied on Neymar for everything and Argentina's flair players didn't do quite enough.

Messi and his attack kinda went missing in the latter stages of the tournament. It was defence and midfield that got them through and I guess the chances missed in the final was a reflection on their struggles in front of goal. Maybe I'm coloured by that team of 2006 and the quality of football they played then.

I don't think any country stood head and shoulders above the rest but Germany were just a bit better when it mattered and thoroughly deserved winning it. They defended and attacked as a team and took their chances when it came. Even though they had goalscorers in their team (e.g. Muller, Klose), they did not rely on them - the goals were shared around.

If anything they can be the example we should look to post-Suarez. You still need quality on the pitch but you don't need to have absolute superstars if you attack as a team.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 11:56:33 am »
Great tournament. It had colour, great goal celebrations, villans, heros, underdog stories, wonderfull individual goal keeping moments, great football and some absolutely shocking results. The only thing that slightly let it down was that the final was so dam tedious to watch. Seemed like an anticlimactic end to a brilliant tournament.

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:45 pm »
It was great for the most part. Groups stages were fantastic and there were enough decent games in the final stages to prevent it fizzling out.

The lack of underdogs getting through in the knock-out was a bit disappointing, especially as two of the most entertaining sides were dumped out by that cynical, shitty Brazil team - both Chile and Colombia would have given Germany more of a game. I also waited forlornly for Messi to do something amazing in the Final (and the knock-out games) but for whatever reason he's not quite the amazing player he once was at the moment. Despite getting quite far I was disappointed in Belgium, they struggled throughout and rarely looked fluent.

Lowlights: The USA not quite making that comeback against Belgium, Brazil's horrid attitude in the Colombia game, Krul's antics against the Costa Rica penalty takers, Greece, Suarez's bite and subsequent 'not really an apology', FIFA's mad kit rules which made no sense whatsoever and go against tradition in a horrible and pointless manner,

Highlights: 7-1, Honduras and their comedy fouling, Colombia and Rodriguez, Costa Rica's manager, Suarez dumping England out, Argie/Chilian/Colombian fans, Germany v Ghana/Algeria, Tim Howard, Masch's amazing last ditch tackle, foam spray for freekicks, USA in general - they worked really hard and overcame the lack of individual quality within the squad, Luiz's last two performances

There's probably more I've forgotten.

Offline Anomander

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 12:09:48 pm »
Sad that it is over now  :'(

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 12:52:32 pm »
France 98 remains my favorite tournament. That Dutch team was one of my favorites of all time, and I liked that French team even more. For Zizou to come through in the finals like he did was the perfect ending. For me, this tournament lacked that one's great teams and great players, but was full of exciting matches. I think it sort of came off the boil in the semifinals, and then started to simmer again last night. It was a far sight better than the last three though, that is for sure.

One thing I was thinking of. This Brazil team had no Brazilian identity. This Argentine team had no Argentine identity. What I mean is that you could recognize Brazilian style or Argentine style in their teams always in the past - I am sure it started before this tournament, but now I am really starting to notice that all of these teams are very similar to one another in a lot of ways. Obviously, this has to do with the fact that more and more players are playing in Europe instead of in their home country - thus, their national teams become less organic, more like "all-star" squads assembled just for the tournament.

But then I was thinking: don't most of the Costa Rican and Colombian players play abroad? They do, as far as I could tell. So why did those teams seem to have more cohesion in the ranks than Brazil and Argentina, or rather more of an individual identity? It's difficult to explain what I mean, mostly because I haven't thought it all the way through. Maybe I should have done that before posting :P Anyway, it seems like Brazil and Argentina have almost completely lost their identity, their uniqueness. If it's not down to the diaspora of players to Europe - and the success of Costa Rica and Colombia seems to suggest it can't be only that - then what else is it down to - coaching? Or is this all just a figment of my pecan-sized mongoose brain?
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:33 pm »
I probably watched more games in this torunament than I did previously due to work commitments. I felt that the later rounds were slightly disappointing, but enjoyed the group stages. I suppose that Costa Rica were the surprise package of the tournament. Disappointing that Spain, Italy and England went out so early. Brazil also disappointed.

Germany were probably the worthy winners overall, so the best team won really.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »
Having the right Manager/Coach is really the key to your success. That if you have the right manager with the right tactics, you can achieve much better results. Costa Rica is a perfect example... or Holland, or Columbia, or, heck, Germany. On the other hand, England, Brazil, Portugal ... :(
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:30 pm »
biggest farce reffereeing wise.

neymar should have had a 3 match ban for the elbow...how irony strike though hey.

all the fouls that went unpunnished that usually were defo yellows.
then to cap it all off neur tries to do a schmacker v batiston and get the freekick!!!!

fifa are as much a laughing stock as the fa are
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
Reminded everyone it is a team game and not a game for certain individuals.  Most teams (big or small) who played collectively managed to go quite far. 

There is more to football than 4-4-2; sweeping keepers (Neuer), strikers can be defenders (Kuyt), managers are allowed to be excited (see gif)

....and the not so good:
- Need to find a way to create another football organization.  Fifa far too inept and corrupt to improve or change.
- Video refereeing is not allowed but trial by youtube/twitter is allowed
- Every refs have a different rule book
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »
The lasting impressions for me of this World Cup, from a tactical standpoint -

The back three came back (it never really went away though)

4-2-3-1 will have to adapt soon, as the patterns for getting the attacking mid three into the game are now known by every team

Forwards are coming back after years of talking about "Strikerless formations", although they are not the classic number 9

Counter-attacking was the main mode of creating opportunities

Less emphasis on having to win balls in the air, and more emphasis on winning the second ball

Attacks were finished with more quality over quantity

Offside traps came back into fashion a little

The most successful teams attacked the wings on the counter, and brought the ball central or crossed it (but from closer to the box, rather than on the touchline)

The best teams relied on mixed passing and reading the moments of the game, rather than sticking to specific tactical ideas on how to play in terms of patterns

The technical report will be a good read for anyone into that sort of thing.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »

4-2-3-1 will have to adapt soon, as the patterns for getting the attacking mid three into the game are now known by every team

The best teams relied on mixed passing and reading the moments of the game, rather than sticking to specific tactical ideas on how to play in terms of patterns

POP could you provide a little more insight into the two observations above. I'm particularly interested in the patterns you discuss. How many patterns do teams tend to use, what triggers should I look for to notice these patterns forming i.e. is it a ball into a forward in a certain position or is it a run from midfield. Are these patterns difficult to spot on TV as you cannot see how the players are set up when the ball is with the defense.

The highlight for I was coaching football in Nicaragua when Oscar Duarte scored for Costa Rica and became the first Nicaraguan born player to score in the world cup. Nicaragua is monetarily a very poor country but the people are beautiful and the kids loved football even though baseball is the national sport. The families I worked with live in homes with dirt floors but they were proud and the kids cam to school every day in pristine white shirts.

Here is a picture of the local field with the kids playing with their new ball.

5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 03:06:01 pm »
Germany's utter annihilation of the hosts and the Dutch beating Spain 5-1, both teams were efficient scoring machines. The biggest surprise to me was Costa Rica, good for them to finish above 3 previous World Cup winners in their group.

The unpredictable nature of the group matches was nice to see such as Ghana drawing with Germany, Iran and Bosnia running Argentina close, Chile beating Spain, Mexico drawing with Brazil. This tournament was much better than 2010 in my opinion.

My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 04:21:28 pm »
As is too often the case with international tournaments, a lot of the worlds best players are not in great shape by the time the finals arrive. Players are injured or jaded after long hard season's particularly European based players. Messi and Ronaldo were both hobbled to one degree or another, and we did not see even close to the best of them (ditto Aguero).

What that does lead to though, is the triumph of team play over star power. Best example would be France, who without their star player Ribery, decided to try and use all eleven players, and it delivered them an unlikely place in the Quarter Finals.

Strong defence came back into fashion in the knockout rounds, and thankfully the failure to realise this, meant the elimination of a poor Brazil team, in a humiliating fashion.

Germany showed that doing the hard work and combining that with high quality touches, movement, passing and accurate finishing - all at pace, can and will win you games.

Having a ball that doesn't behave like a balloon in a wind tunnel, is a good idea.

Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal is a good coach but not a great one.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 04:24:47 pm »
Great world cup. Quite a few long games that went to extra time and onto penalties but it started well and ended well.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 04:28:07 pm »
Was better than SA but I preferred France and Japan/S Korea.

Best bit was the sunset last night over Christ the Redeemer

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 04:30:36 pm »
Commentators were getting pissed at that ^

Firs time they showed it

"That's a great shot that, well done production team"

3rd time

"Right yeah it's good but there is a match on, rather focus on that.

Welcome back to the final, in the break Germany have scored 2"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »
As is too often the case with international tournaments, a lot of the worlds best players are not in great shape by the time the finals arrive. Players are injured or jaded after long hard season's particularly European based players. Messi and Ronaldo were both hobbled to one degree or another, and we did not see even close to the best of them (ditto Aguero).

What that does lead to though, is the triumph of team play over star power. Best example would be France, who without their star player Ribery, decided to try and use all eleven players, and it delivered them an unlikely place in the Quarter Finals.

Strong defence came back into fashion in the knockout rounds, and thankfully the failure to realise this, meant the elimination of a poor Brazil team, in a humiliating fashion.

Germany showed that doing the hard work and combining that with high quality touches, movement, passing and accurate finishing - all at pace, can and will win you games.

Having a ball that doesn't behave like a balloon in a wind tunnel, is a good idea.

Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal is a good coach but not a great one.

By that token, neither is Rafa?

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 04:32:09 pm »

Someone give him the Spain job in a few years, then we'll see :D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »
Corporate fest.

Won't live long in my memory. Couple of performances will stand out, but as a tournament overall, a wretched corporate love in.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 04:37:07 pm »
Someone give him the Spain job in a few years, then we'll see :D

Nah, he's already a great coach, just like Van Gaal is. It's rare to win a Champions League just by merely being "good". Especially winning one with either a 4th place team with only one superstar and no forwards (Rafa), or a blend of youth and experience in a smaller league (Van Gaal).

People are quick to damn Van Gaal's achievements because he now manages United, but he has won enough in his career to be considered one of the greats

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 04:38:02 pm »
Great world cup,latter stages could of done with a few more goals.

Genuinely cant believe they gave the player of the wc to Messi though must of been a marketing/sponsorship thing,so many more players deserving of that award.

Apart from that cant complain.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »
Corporate fest.

Won't live long in my memory. Couple of performances will stand out, but as a tournament overall, a wretched corporate love in.

Only if you want to think like that. All tournaments these days are overly 'corporate' but I didn't find myself getting annoyed by the rotating advertising boards as I watched Germany v USA unfold.

The group stages were superb, the knockouts less so, which although disappointing was probably a given although despite the lack of goals there were plenty of gripping games. Even generally poor games like Costa Rica v The Netherlands burst into life late one.

There were very few complete duds, plenty of good performances from 'smaller' countries and that Germany v Brazil game that will live long in the memory.

I don't really have a favourite World Cup - Mexico 86 maybe although I'd be lying if I said I could remember it completely clearly. This was as good/enjoyable as any I've seen in recent years though.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:56 pm »
Only if you want to think like that. All tournaments these days are overly 'corporate' but I didn't find myself getting annoyed by the rotating advertising boards as I watched Germany v USA unfold.

The group stages were superb, the knockouts less so, which although disappointing was probably a given although despite the lack of goals there were plenty of gripping games. Even generally poor games like Costa Rica v The Netherlands burst into life late one.

There were very few complete duds, plenty of good performances from 'smaller' countries and that Germany v Brazil game that will live long in the memory.

I don't really have a favourite World Cup - Mexico 86 maybe although I'd be lying if I said I could remember it completely clearly. This was as good/enjoyable as any I've seen in recent years though.

This was on another level for me. The crowd reeeeally vexed me. Just knowing that the stadiums were full of middle and upper class pricks that couldn't give a fuck about football, while the hardcore supporters were priced out of attending.

As I say, couple of performances will stand out, but the above will be my abiding memory.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 04:52:44 pm »
Absolutely loved it ....really refreshing to see football being played outside of the Premier League / Champions League Megabucks bubble - and being treated so seriously, and competitively by all concerned (Mascherano sobbing like a baby for example...ditto Aguerro last night...who knew?) ....the kick off times were perfect for TV - the three games a night group stages were a fortnight of TV heaven....great goals, cracking games, last minute drama a'plenty.

The demise of the 'minnow' was also good to see - there were no rollovers, every team (bar you know) who looked half decent ....eg, was a joy to see Chile, Costa Rica, USA etc playing with real purpose and technique - but the perfect illustration was Algeria against Germany, the North Africans giving the eventual winners what was possibly their toughest game of the tournament.

Gutted its all over...like a holiday romance that you wished could go on just that bit longer.......back to reality now...Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis and Sky Sports fucking the fixtures up.......#

was great while it lasted.........obrigado Brazil...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
Lasting memories will be the Colombia, USA, Chile and Germany teams.

Also, the craziest match I've seen at an international tournament and seeing Spain's domination come to an end (involving another crazy match).

Also, Suarez.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:22 pm »
Better than the last three world cups for sure, but not a patch on France 1998 as the best world cup I've seen. In terms of entertainment it was very good but the quality of the football wasn't THAT high imo. I really think if this World Cup was pushed two or three weeks it would have made a noticeable difference on the overall quality of the football, so many teams and players felt tired or half fit, but that was never going to happen. How many goals were scored from corners or set pieces btw? I can’t remember a world cup with so many of them, it must have set a new record. 

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:55 pm »
I've watched every one since '66 and it was probably the best with Brazil (the hosts) rising to the occasion.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:34 pm »
Nah, he's already a great coach, just like Van Gaal is. It's rare to win a Champions League just by merely being "good". Especially winning one with either a 4th place team with only one superstar and no forwards (Rafa), or a blend of youth and experience in a smaller league (Van Gaal).

People are quick to damn Van Gaal's achievements because he now manages United, but he has won enough in his career to be considered one of the greats

Oh, I believe Rafa is a great, had a poster of him in my studio for many years. I'd just like to see what he does with the Spanish NT at some point, that's all. Be great for him to get a WC for his CV and also for Montse to get a watch as bling as the Liver Building clockface ;)
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 06:53:15 pm »
I see it as a missed chance for Nigeria

For 70 odd minutes we battered France. I remember at one point after koselny knocked a ball out for a corner, the look on his face was priceless.

Germany would have dealt with us but we certainly would have put a better effort into it then France did.

As for the tournament overall it was great

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 08:06:26 pm »
I thought we were just giving our thoughts, wasn't expecting to have to justify one of them.