Author Topic: Why did Peter Beardsley leave all those years ago? What would he be worth today?  (Read 39572 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
People forget that until he scored THAT goal against the Blue Shite, he was being labelled as Britain's most expensive flop. Sound familiar? Can you imagine this forum around that time time if it was about? The parallels between he and Carroll would have been spooky
I have a book at home which he kept a diary of his first season.

He said he remembered a headline at the time "peter the plonker". Dalglish just said to him if Beardsley wasnt doing a job he wouldnt be picked, simple. Manager picked the team not the press. Just as well !
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
I do wonder that with the current vogue of 4231 or 433 where the likes of Beardsley or say Baggio would play these days. I think both would have been shifted out wide...and not been nearly as good as they were. There are some players (Suarez included) around whom you just build a system around...

Offline barnseysleftpeg

• Legacy Fan
There were rumours at the time that Kenny got completely fed up with Beardsley's wife who would be on the phone demanding more money for him every 5 minutes, every time a new player was signed and every time she heard even a whisper in the press that another player was on more money than him.

EDIT:
I never heard rumours along those lines!

His wife being very pushy is what I've heard as well from my dad mostly. Apparently it really put a strain on his and Dalglish relationship

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Please leave the scurrilous and slanderous rumours out of the thread. Thanks.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
If I remember rightly, from Souness' book The (mis)Management Years, one of the reasons he gave for selling Beardsley was because he needed some cash to fund one of his signings, I can't remember which, and we agreed to sell Staunton but Staunton ummed and arred and decided he didn't want to leave so Souness sold Beardsley only for Staunton to leave not long after. It's clear from reading Souness' book that the-times-they-were-a-changing and a number of our long established players seemed to be more interested in earning a bigger wedge. I'm not blaming them as it's only natural that if big money starts flowing into the game as you enter your twilight years then you're going to try and grab as much as you can but there are so many mitigating factors overlooked when it comes to making an assessment of Souness' time at Liverpool. Yeah he made some unforgivable mistakes but I think it was also a case of being the wrong man, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. It's easy with hindsight to say this of course because plenty of us thought at the time he was the ONLY appointment and I'm not sure just who would have been the right man. My overrall feeling is that we were probably a victim of circumstance, huge shifts in the game coinciding with a decline of the team. Could anyone else really have arrested that and kept us on top? I'm not sure to be honest.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
If I remember rightly, from Souness' book The (mis)Management Years, one of the reasons he gave for selling Beardsley was because he needed some cash to fund one of his signings, I can't remember which, and we agreed to sell Staunton but Staunton ummed and arred and decided he didn't want to leave so Souness sold Beardsley only for Staunton to leave not long after. It's clear from reading Souness' book that the-times-they-were-a-changing and a number of our long established players seemed to be more interested in earning a bigger wedge. I'm not blaming them as it's only natural that if big money starts flowing into the game as you enter your twilight years then you're going to try and grab as much as you can but there are so many mitigating factors overlooked when it comes to making an assessment of Souness' time at Liverpool. Yeah he made some unforgivable mistakes but I think it was also a case of being the wrong man, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. It's easy with hindsight to say this of course because plenty of us thought at the time he was the ONLY appointment and I'm not sure just who would have been the right man. My overrall feeling is that we were probably a victim of circumstance, huge shifts in the game coinciding with a decline of the team. Could anyone else really have arrested that and kept us on top? I'm not sure to be honest.

I thought we sold Staunton because we needed to anglicise the team as per the new rules. 2 non-England qualified players max.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
when it comes to making an assessment of Souness' time at Liverpool. Yeah he made some unforgivable mistakes but I think it was also a case of being the wrong man, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. It's easy with hindsight to say this of course because plenty of us thought at the time he was the ONLY appointment and I'm not sure just who would have been the right man.

Indeed, can't remember anyone wanting anyone else, but since we're playing the hindsight game then don't think you can look past Evans.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
For those not around at the time, having Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge in the same team was basically like having Ronaldo, Messi and, erm, Mario Gomez, maybe?

Seriously. It was fucking brilliant.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
For those not around at the time, having Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge in the same team was basically like having Ronaldo, Messi and, erm, Mario Gomez, maybe?

I'd have said Klaas Jan Huntelaar :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

it was that good!

Indeed, can't remember anyone wanting anyone else, but since we're playing the hindsight game then don't think you can look past Evans.
make yous wonder, evans managed us much better.

I thought we sold Staunton because we needed to anglicise the team as per the new rules. 2 non-England qualified players max.
it was 4, and the end of the previous season we had Grobellaar, Hysen, Molby, Nicol, Gillespie, Speedie, Rush, Houghton, Whelan, Staunton and Rosenthal on the books.

Hysen was largely bombed out, Gillespie, Staunton and Speedie sold. Mind you we did then sign Saunders and Kozma.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Miss those days so much

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Clough didnt replace Beardsley, Beardsley left in 1991, Clough signed two

Saunders was the one bought to replace Beardsley. I heard rumours only recently about rows with Dalglish though Beardsley denied this, i think what alarmed some was after February in his last season he never scored

I didn't suggest Clough was bought to replace him. Although to be fair to the poster that did, I think a lot of people wanted Clough to be the new Beardsley

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
Yeh I remember Souness was the automatic choice as he had won everything with Rangers (who weren't too bad in Europe either if I remember). I was only 10 at the time but I remember Alan Hansen was being touted for the job also? (or was that after Souness left?)

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Whenever we are needing new attacking players my template is basically: get a John Barnes, get a Peter Beardsley.

We've never signed a John Barnes, McManaman was good though, cutting in. I like Suarez a lot and he slaloms like Beardsley.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
People forget that until he scored THAT goal against the Blue Shite, he was being labelled as Britain's most expensive flop. Sound familiar? Can you imagine this forum around that time time if it was about? The parallels between he and Carroll would have been spooky

Beardsley was a different proposition to Carroll entirely. By the time he came here he was already a proven top-class player at the highest level, and had been one of England's best performers at the '86 World Cup. It was never a question of 'if' he would come good at Anfield, but 'when'.

Some interesting comparisons with other players mentioned on this thread: he was no Messi, but David Silva is a good shout.

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
Quite simply he was the bollocks for us. Such a clever player simply fantastic link up with Barnes. Loved watching him play.

And scored in the cup final v Wimbledon when the ref stopped play for a free kick instead of playing on. Heart broken that day.
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
He was as superb player, but he was no Paul Stewart thats for sure.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
Quote from: Redwhiteandnotblue on Yesterday at 11:24:53 PM
There were rumours at the time that Kenny got completely fed up with Beardsley's wife who would be on the phone demanding more money for him every 5 minutes, every time a new player was signed and every time she heard even a whisper in the press that another player was on more money than him.

No way can that be true.

Beardsley has a wife?!
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He could have played for any Liverpool team ever. A fabulous fabulous player. A pleasure to watch, frequently breathtaking.

He was a one off and none of the players mentioned above (Litmanen/Silva/Suarez) are fit to lace his boots.

Fuck off Souness.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline XabiLuis

• Main Stander
had number 7 sewn into my old candy shirt as he was my fave player i was only 8

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
a great player Beardo was, could turn a game with a pass.
had a great shot on him too.
I'm not sure I'd compare him to Messi but he certainly had some Messi-like qualities and must have been a nightmare to play against.
the hatrick against the Mancs stands out, as well as the 5-0 over Forest.
it's such a pity that side never got to compete in the European Cup, we could easily be sitting on 6 or 7 wins now instead of 5.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
barry davies: "beardsley. oh that's a lovely goal. that's a lovely goal"

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
Such a shame Europe didnt see him shine
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
I always called him PB, even before this type of abbreviation becomes a trendy thing as it is now. Two of my favorite players during that era: Ablett and PB. Ablett because he was not as skilful as others, but he gave his all and Beardsley; how come a little man could be so good (remember at that time there were not many little players as excellent as he was, especially in English Football). 
Always thought that "mad-manager" Souness had something to do with his leaving LFC and as for his worth today? In his prime, 30-40 mil sterling, I guess is a fair estimation
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
Quite simply he was the bollocks for us. Such a clever player simply fantastic link up with Barnes. Loved watching him play.

And scored in the cup final v Wimbledon when the ref stopped play for a free kick instead of playing on. Heart broken that day.

Oh, why do you have to bring this up? Now you ruin my mood; don't know if I could finish my work, now. Damn the Iinternet!
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
I've loved him since he was a Vancouver Whitecap in the late 70s (he and Bruce Grobelaar both played for the Whitecaps when I lived there).  Was devastated when we sold him.  Should have been with us forever.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
MichaelA...you're right--watching Messi is like watching Beardsley rejuvenated; similar physique and running style, phenomenal ball control and obviously very humble lads who work for the team, not themselves.

I watched Beardsley play for the first time when he joined the Vancouver Whitecaps in the NASL (1982?). He had a trick then that I've never seen anyone else use. Sort of a dead-leg stepover fake that almost always sent defenders the wrong way. Anybody know of a video that shows that? It was a thing of beauty.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
One of the worst decisions player wise the club has ever made , and selling him to Everton crazy . Great Liverpool player ,loved watching  him slide in defense splitting passes . Sold him about 5 years too soon .

Just been looking at his stats , only 59 Caps !  Says everything about England that , criminal .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:01:40 pm by rednile »
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
beardsley was pivotal in my favourite liverpool side. Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge were something else.

I think due to the fact that Barnes was so good and Aldridge was firing goals in for fun, beardsley was possibly the lesser of the 3. But he was a real quality player and rarely does England (Britain) produce players of that quality. Technically gifted and Skillful. I can see the comparisons of Silva, Benayoun etc but during that era he was more consistent then both. Very special player.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline howman

• Kemlynite
barry davies: "beardsley. oh that's a lovely goal. that's a lovely goal"

"He even got a kiss from a man in a blue and white scarf"

Favourite commentary ever!

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite

It was British and Irish players. Players from the British and Irish islands were regarded the same.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
The English Franck Ribery. Whatever Ribery is worth, that's what Beardo would be worth.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
Great player quasi was, I heard a rumour the problem with him and Souness was when Graham found out they wanted Peter for the Boys in the Blackstuff first and Souey was second choice!
Graeme.

(Just keeping you on your toes!)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

It was British and Irish players. Players from the British and Irish islands were regarded the same.
i dont think so. ray houghton was classified as a "foreigner" as were Rush, Nicol and Saunders

Offline Callaghan.

• Legacy Fan
Little fella but absolute giant of a football-player.

Brilliant player, stunningly good.

Really.

Just unbelievably good. Staggering.

I was lucky enough to be at the 5-0 Forest game.

What someone needs to find - please please please - is the BBC HIGHLIGHTS (not the full 90 minutes) that Des Lynam introduced before the 1988 Cup Final.

Des said, "Now, lets's see how Liverpool really CAN play" and they rolled the tape.

5-nil against the 2nd best team in the land - and Beardsley hit the woodwork about three times!

It's much better than watching the full 90 minutes because, well it just is, don't slag me off, just someone find the thing, PLEASE! I so wish I hadn't lost my old VHS tape of it. I've watched it a million times.

Loved Beardsley.

Offline Callaghan.

• Legacy Fan
I'd say he's worth about 10 to 15 million today.

You might think it should be more but you've got to remember he's 51 years old.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I'd say he's worth about 10 to 15 million today.

You might think it should be more but you've got to remember he's 51 years old.
yeah but hes out of contract

wage wise he would be probably the highest paid at the club

Offline Callaghan.

• Legacy Fan
yeah but hes out of contract

Fair point! :)

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
Ah Beardo, Barny and Aldo, those were the days. If only we were in europe as well during those days!!!!!

I reckon we missed out on at least 2-3 more European Cups because of that.