Author Topic: how good was Steve McMahon  (Read 33428 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: how good was Steve McMahon
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2011, 12:00:32 am »
Barnes back heeled to Houghton who pulled it back for McMahon to drive in from just inside the area.

A touch shorter range than I'd remembered, but not a tap in either. Didn't remember the build up, but remembered the driven shot, dunno why.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2011, 07:18:20 am »
remember reading once his gaff got broke into the first time he played for villa against everton.

remember that celebration against everton in 1987, barnes put him through and he blasted it off southall. him and aldridge went fucking nuts

scored his first goal for liverpool, (winning goal) vs who? :)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2011, 09:14:06 am »

scored his first goal for liverpool, (winning goal) vs who? :)

blueshite?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline red tower

• Kemlynite
« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:45 am »
Mystified as to why any lfc fan would have a poor opinion of this man, quality player, one of my first heroes as a young lad. A real all action box to box player, could see a pass, had a hammer shot and could mix it up when required. People comparing him to gerrard, i would say he was not as good offensively but was far better defensively and wouldnt go missing from centre mid when part of a midfield two.

If anyone can, macca can...

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2011, 10:22:49 am »
As I've said earlier, I thought Steve McMahon was right up there but this needs to be tempered by the fact that he was fortunate enough to play in one of Liverpool's best ever teams.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2011, 10:31:02 am »
Mystified as to why any lfc fan would have a poor opinion of this man, quality player, one of my first heroes as a young lad. A real all action box to box player, could see a pass, had a hammer shot and could mix it up when required. People comparing him to gerrard, i would say he was not as good offensively but was far better defensively and wouldnt go missing from centre mid when part of a midfield two.

If anyone can, macca can...

macca..can..macca..macca...macca can....
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2011, 11:00:32 am »
Someone has put up the 89-90 season review on youtube (first part here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvdWYLdNVY&feature=related), and although I have vague memories of that time, I can't have seen many of the games in full. So I may well be wrong, but what stands out watching those highlight are, among other things, McMahon's great attacking runs, and quick feet. His reputation these days is more that of a tenacious player, and a defensive tough tackler, but like many say in here, it seemed like he could do it all.

Another thing that struck me is the often quite poor defending from both Hysen and Hansen, also Whelan on a couple of occasions. Sloppy on the ball more than once, and they allowed many free runs at our goal. Also, where did the technically brilliant British players go? Looking at the clips, I'd almost include McMahon there, but the more obvious ones are Barnes and Beardsley for Liverpool, from the opponents players like Gascoigne and Le Tissier, and abroad we had both Waddle and Hoddle. Very few, if any, in english football today has that natural ability on the ball. Not even Gerrard imo, superb talent though he is.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2011, 11:44:12 am »
McMahon was strong, tough tackling and powerful. Scored a few belters in his time as well. A player I really loved as a kid. I think Gary Gilliespie's assertion though that Stevie wouldn't have made the 87-88 team is wrong. I'd put Gerrard ahead of McMahon as a player, as a central midfielder though I'm not so sure.

Bringing players like Lucas into this conversation though is a bit silly. I like him and think he's improving all the time but nowhere near the level of McMahon, Molby or Whelan. There are about 4-5 players in the last 10 years who may have had a sniff in that 87-88 squad and that's about it
McMahon was miles better than Lucas is to date - don't think anyone's comparing their level. What has been suggested (by myself at least) is that were McMahon25 years old today and playing for a top club he probably would be playing a different role fromt the one he played in 1988.

And only 4 or 5 from the last 10 years in the squad of 88? Now that's ludicrous. You don't think more than 5 of Reina, Torres, Owen, Gerrard, Babbel (Markus), Arbeloa, Hyypia, Henchoz, Agger, Hamann, Cheyrou, Alonso, McAllister, Garcia, Mascherano, Riise would've got into the squad?

That's ludicrous, mate. If they'd have been available I think at least 4 or 5 would've been in the 1988 cup final side, let alone the squad.

Bit rose tinty over a side that included Spackman, Hooper, Venison, Beglin, and Ablett, and two great central defenders who were on their last legs, I would suggest.

Kenny managed some wonderful players but also made the best of some ordinariness. It's called good management of a team.

I think we should realise and appreciate we have just had a great decade as LFC fans. We have been blessed with one good and one great manager, and have had some world level players playing for us. Just because we have had great teams and even better time sin the past we should never denigrate or belittle the lads who play for us at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:49:21 am by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2011, 12:08:08 pm »
And only 4 or 5 from the last 10 years in the squad of 88? Now that's ludicrous. You don't think more than 5 of Reina, Torres, Owen, Gerrard, Babbel (Markus), Arbeloa, Hyypia, Henchoz, Agger, Hamann, Cheyrou, Alonso, McAllister, Garcia, Mascherano, Riise would've got into the squad?

Can't believe you have Cheyrou in that list and not Robbie Fowler

Reina, Torres, Hyypia, Gerrard, Alonso, Fowler possibly, the rest no if you consider who they'd be up against

Babbel and Arby - Nicol every time
Henchoz - Hansen, Gillespie and Lawro ahead of him
Carra - not good enough on the ball to be in that team
Agger - Hansen ahead of him
Hamann - Whelan and McMahon for me
Cheyrou - LMFAO
Alonso - could get in any team
Gerrard - ditto
Gary Mac - possibly but again I'd have Whelan, McMahon, Molby ahead of him
Garcia - Beardsley and Houghton any day
Mascherano - one trick pony
Risse - sorry no

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »
As I've said earlier, I thought Steve McMahon was right up there but this needs to be tempered by the fact that he was fortunate enough to play in one of Liverpool's best ever teams.

But he consistently played well. I accept some players can be made to look better than they are when they are part of a very strong team (Wes Brown was part of the Mancs treble team in 1999), but I don't think you can say McMahon falls into that category.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2011, 12:48:15 pm »
A touch shorter range than I'd remembered, but not a tap in either. Didn't remember the build up, but remembered the driven shot, dunno why.

I remember the build up as Barnes had done the same thing against Everton a few weeks earlier. His back heel in that game put McMahon in on the left side of the area. He set up Aldridge whose shot was saved by Southall, but Beardsley smashed in the rebound.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2011, 12:51:24 pm »
cheyrou has to be a wind up

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2011, 12:58:09 pm »
cheyrou has to be a wind up

Cheyrou wouldn't have got into the Souness teams!

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »
He was a very good player, but not the level of Gerrard and Souness. Had a great shot and scored some cracking goals and certainly liked a tackle!

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2011, 01:23:03 pm »
Cheyrou wouldn't have got into the Souness teams!

He possibly would have given some of the shite in that era!
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline nellyp

• hant. All Hail the old new Baldrick!!!
  • Anny Roader
  • Life's not black and white, it's red and white
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:39 pm »
Great player, I can't seem to remember the 40 yard passes but I do remember his crunching tackles, and geeing the team up. Maybe he wouldn't get in the team today.......but I would love him for the commitment and driving force he would supply as well as being able to command the midfield, something I feel we lack.
In a world of uncertainty and worry, it is calming to know that as a fan of the greatest club in the world I will never walk alone

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

Bringing players like Lucas into this conversation though is a bit silly. I like him and think he's improving all the time but nowhere near the level of McMahon, Molby or Whelan. There are about 4-5 players in the last 10 years who may have had a sniff in that 87-88 squad and that's about it.

While I agree that Lucas would not get near the 87/88 team, there are certainly more than four in the last ten years that would be at home in it.

This was the squad from 87/88:

No.  Position Player
  GK Bruce Grobbelaar
  GK Mike Hooper
  DF Gary Ablett
  DF Gary Gillespie
  DF Alan Hansen (captain)
  DF Steve Nicol
  DF Steve Staunton
  DF Barry Venison
  DF Alex Watson
  DF Mark Lawrenson
  MF John Barnes
  MF Ray Houghton
  MF Craig Johnston
  MF Kevin MacDonald
  MF Mike Marsh
  MF Steve McMahon
  MF Jan Mølby
  MF Mark Seagraves
  MF Nigel Spackman
  MF John Wark
  MF Ronnie Whelan
  FW John Aldridge
  FW Peter Beardsley
  FW John Durnin
  FW Paul Walsh
  FW Kenny Dalglish (Player/Manager)

Gerrard, Torres, Fowler, Owen, Hamann, Mascherano, Alonso, Hyypia, Carragher, Reina, Babbel, McAllister and Agger would have all been fine in that side. Also, the likes of Kewell, Kuyt and Garcia could all cut in alongside those guys - especially when you consider that it was a top, top side. If you go back further, McManaman and Berger could've played in that side too.

I'm not talking about all of the above being able to necessarily get into that side, some clearly would, but they'd all be comfortable and good enough to do so.

If I was going to pick a team made up of the 87/88 squad and players from the last ten years, it would be:

_______________Reina_______________

_____Hansen___Hyypia__Carragher____

_________McMahon___Whelan__________

Gerrard__Beardsley____Dalglish___Barnes

______________Fowler_______________

Subs: Torres, Aldridge, Grobbelaar, Nicol, Alonso, Molby and Agger.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:37:52 pm by AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful »
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline Whelans curled it!

• Main Stander
  • R.I.P. 96
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2011, 01:40:51 pm »
steve mcmahon was fantastic,from work ethic to hard tackling to scoring screamers!!! a mate of mine once went out with a girl for a bit based purely on the fact she was his cousin,and hoped he'd get to meet him! ha!
DO or DO not,there is no try!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:26 pm »
How good was he? He was superb. The archetypal Liverpool player - quick, intelligent, skilful, committed and a complete winner. United had Robson and we had McMahon. I don't know a single Liverpudlian who would have wanted it the other way round.

When I think now of Steve McMahon I don't think first of the destruction of Winterburn and half the Arsenal defence that led to Aldridge's goal in front of the Kop. Or his screamer v Man U at the Anny Rd end. I think of a piece of individual skill that I've never seen anyone execute quite so perfectly again. He was storming through the middle in typical Macca style when a long high ball was launched from the back. It wasn't a perfect one because it had come straight from behind him with no angle on it, and it was too close to his body. In fact as it dropped it almost hit his right shoulder. But Macca somehow kept his eye on it and, without breaking stride, feathered it with his left foot on the half volley so that it maintained its line and allowed him to keep his. I should mention he was being sandwiched at the time by two centre backs. The touch was so immaculate that he kept his full-throttle momentum going and broke free of the defender's slide tackle.

I can't remember who it was against, or whether he even went on to score. But it was one of those moments when you realise professional footballers inhabit a different planet from the rest of us.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2011, 02:36:02 pm »
89 cup final for Aldo to score? Think it was a right footed half volley clipped into his path.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2011, 02:52:30 pm »
89 cup final for Aldo to score? Think it was a right footed half volley clipped into his path.

A nice piece of skill, but the one I'm thinking of happened at Anfield. I don't think I've seen it since the day it happened either.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2011, 05:02:08 pm »
steve mcmahon was fantastic,from work ethic to hard tackling to scoring screamers!!! a mate of mine once went out with a girl for a bit based purely on the fact she was his cousin,and hoped he'd get to meet him! ha!

This.He wasn't just a destroyer he also started many an attack that led to a goal.He was very underated and i think he would do well in todays game.He shielded the defence, was a superb passer of the ball and he worked his bollocks off.Wouldn't say he was world class but he was just as important as the front trinity of beardo aldo and barnsey.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
He scored with a header from about 20 yards against the bitters in the Screen Sport Super Cup. Probably the best headed goal I've ever seen. It was a pretty low-key competition, that's probably why the goal doesn't get much of a mention.

the thread was hijacked by a beaut.
That was the one thanks mate
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »
Thing is squads didn't really mean an awful lot in 87/8 it was more about teams, and a lot of the time, the team read:

Grob
Vennison Hansen Gillespie Nicol
Houghton (Johnston) Whelan McMahon Barnes
Aldridge Beardsley

with others such as Walsh, Molby, Abblet, Spackman playing roles but not really part of the core.

it worked & was a fucken great team, the best I've seen to watch (maybe 78/9 was stronger all round).

McMahon was key to a lot of what went on, not just defensively but going forwards too. He had a real drive to his game and both him & Whelan were strong defensively and hit Barnes as quickly as possible & frequently.

Possibly joined us too late in his career to become a real great, he could have joined from school and when he joined Villa, but Kenny identified him very early as crucial.

Pointless to argue how many players from the last ten years would have got into that team, I don't know but plenty have claims, fact is footy is judged on teams and not individuals and none of the individuals of the past ten years have played in a team as good as that of 87-8.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:09:41 pm by john_mac »
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Jokerman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2011, 10:44:27 pm »
Thing is squads didn't really mean an awful lot in 87/8 it was more about teams, and a lot of the time, the team read:

Grob
Vennison Hansen Gillespie Nicol
Houghton (Johnston) Whelan McMahon Barnes
Aldridge Beardsley

with others such as Walsh, Molby, Abblet, Spackman playing roles but not really part of the core.

it worked & was a fucken great team, the best I've seen to watch (maybe 78/9 was stronger all round).

McMahon was key to a lot of what went on, not just defensively but going forwards too. He had a real drive to his game and both him & Whelan were strong defensively and hit Barnes as quickly as possible & frequently.

Possibly joined us too late in his career to become a real great, he could have joined from school and when he joined Villa, but Kenny identified him very early as crucial.

Pointless to argue how many players from the last ten years would have got into that team, I don't know but plenty have claims, fact is footy is judged on teams and not individuals and none of the individuals of the past ten years have played in a team as good as that of 87-8.

Spackman played as much as Whelan in that season, if not more. Apart from that though I'd agree entirely, good points.
How come Aquilani wasn't in the squad today?

Solving the drought in East Africa with his fancy flicks.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01:17 am »
Spackman played as much as Whelan in that season, if not more. Apart from that though I'd agree entirely, good points.
mark lawrenson played a bit at the start of the season and by the end of it gary ablett was playing instead of venison with nicol going right full

think venison was sick or something but from february on i dont think he played much

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:23 am »
Nicol was playing right back, left back, right mid and even an emergency center foward alongside Aldridge on at least once occassion (vs Newcastle..and scored a hat trick).

There will never be another player who comes remotely close to emulating the quality of Stevie Nicol.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:29 pm »
Nicol was playing right back, left back, right mid and even an emergency center foward alongside Aldridge on at least once occassion (vs Newcastle..and scored a hat trick).

There will never be another player who comes remotely close to emulating the quality of Stevie Nicol.
i wouldnt say he was used as a forward

john barnes, peter beardsley and john aldridge were always there early in the season. he was probably used in a more advanced role in midfield early in the season where johnston and houghton usually played. the goals dried up (no suprise) when he played at the back later in the season

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2011, 02:31:10 pm »
Very good. Strong in the tackle, but good going forwards too.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2011, 02:42:59 pm »

Molby was on the flight home from Prague with one of my mates, said he still speaks to Nicol regularly, reckons he'd still easily be able to play in our team now!

Fucken outstanding footballer

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:11 pm »
i wouldnt say he was used as a forward

john barnes, peter beardsley and john aldridge were always there early in the season. he was probably used in a more advanced role in midfield early in the season where johnston and houghton usually played. the goals dried up (no suprise) when he played at the back later in the season

He played alongside Rush or Aldridge in a 4 prong attack against Newcastle and scored a hat trick in that match. Think we won it 4-2 if memory serves me correct.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2011, 03:09:51 pm »
He played alongside Rush or Aldridge in a 4 prong attack against Newcastle and scored a hat trick in that match. Think we won it 4-2 if memory serves me correct.
that would be aldo and 4-1

im tryna think of the team that day

brucie
venison hansen gillespie lawrenson (strangely wore number 9 shirt)
nicol mcmahon whelan barnes
aldridge beardsley

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2011, 03:16:09 pm »
that would be aldo and 4-1

im tryna think of the team that day

brucie
venison hansen gillespie lawrenson (strangely wore number 9 shirt)
nicol mcmahon whelan barnes
aldridge beardsley

Think he played wide right scored 3 and had another disallowed, fuck all wrong with it. Think Mirandina made his debut for them (and scored), they all had them stupid Mexican hats on, They were rebuilding Leazes end at the time.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
Think he played wide right scored 3 and had another disallowed, fuck all wrong with it. Think Mirandina made his debut for them (and scored), they all had them stupid Mexican hats on, They were rebuilding Leazes end at the time.
always wondered why a mexican hat is seen flying when they scored

not sure it was his debut, he won a penalty and neil mc donald i think scored it

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2011, 04:08:07 pm »
I loved Steve McMahon.
I even loved the ol' 'One Minute....ONE!' - even though I was crying a minute later.

Most especially, I loved the fact that both '1's' on his shirt were miles apart. 1  1.
A Marvellous player in every way.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2022, 01:21:12 am »
Came across this vid on yt:

https://youtu.be/RcelrYi_FG0

Damn he was so bloody good … doesn’t get mentioned nearly enough in Liverpool circles
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2022, 07:39:33 am »
McMahon top drawer for Liverpool, an outstanding competitor in the center of the park

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2022, 08:08:50 am »
Still this day, the stopping the ball on the throw-in line is my favourite ever Liverpool goal.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2022, 08:15:25 am »
Always loved him. Loved the way he celebrated after scoring against the BS,  none of the modern nonsense of not celebrating against an old team. He gave it loads after scoring. Only reason he’s underrated is because we have had so many legendary midfielders over the years but he really should be in the conversation with them all

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2022, 08:22:57 am »
Still this day, the stopping the ball on the throw-in line is my favourite ever Liverpool goal.

Mine too!

Definitely my favourite player from that era.