Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 334817 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Re: Xabi Alonso
« Reply #3520 on: May 29, 2023, 01:04:58 am »
Really? He scores the rebound you nugget.
He missed the penalty, full stop, the ball then goes into open play and he scores from that, don't pretend he's a good penalty taker because the goalie parried it back to him
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Razors Razor

• Sworn enemy of Occam's Occam.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3521 on: May 29, 2023, 02:40:00 am »
He missed the penalty, full stop, the ball then goes into open play and he scores from that, don't pretend he's a good penalty taker because the goalie parried it back to him
:lmao ok lad

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3522 on: May 29, 2023, 11:36:27 pm »
It's only because you called me a nugget.
 :wave
His penalty must have been one of the top 10 moments in the clubs history because of the tension of missing then scoring at such a crucial moment, the joy on his face was wonderful and capped the maddest 7 minutes I can remember.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #3523 on: June 5, 2023, 10:38:27 am »
Honestly mad the chat about a penalty he took 18 years ago.

Didn't even realise until the day after he'd missed and put the rebound in.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3524 on: June 5, 2023, 12:55:40 pm »

I seem to remember celebrating that penalty a wee bit.

So this talk is relative madness :)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3525 on: June 5, 2023, 01:01:44 pm »
It's only because you called me a nugget.
 :wave
His penalty must have been one of the top 10 moments in the clubs history because of the tension of missing then scoring at such a crucial moment, the joy on his face was wonderful and capped the maddest 7 minutes I can remember.

There's a brilliant picture from behind the goal, just as the ball's going in and you can see Alonso and Luis Garcia (obviously). Alonso's face is a picture.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3526 on: June 5, 2023, 01:32:49 pm »
I seem to remember celebrating that penalty a wee bit.

So this talk is relative madness :)

It was nanosecond of joy to ecstasy

« Last Edit: June 5, 2023, 01:36:21 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3527 on: June 5, 2023, 01:36:16 pm »

Luis is already pondering how to use the event on social media to wind up Mourinho...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3528 on: June 5, 2023, 01:37:59 pm »

That's the one! Love that picture.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3529 on: June 5, 2023, 05:24:42 pm »
but he missed and Gerrard was a great penalty taker

Gerrard became a great penalty taker. He'd actually only taken one for us prior to the final, which was against Birmingham in 03/04.

Quite amazing really but I guess we had Owen and Murphy prior to that and then I think Baros took them for the most part in 04/05. Cisse also took at least one that I can remember against I think Villa.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3530 on: June 6, 2023, 02:54:20 am »
Interesting, I hadn't considered that Gerrard wasn't out regular taker back then. Thought maybe we had a system where the person who won the penalty didn't take it. I think Arsenal had that rule at the time, something about adrenaline being too high for the penalty winner.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3531 on: June 6, 2023, 07:56:14 am »
Yeah Murphy never missed for us (possibly). He was decent at them anyway. Owen was ropey but would generally take them if he could. So up until 04/05 they were our regular takers. NATO’s did take two in a game I think (Palace?) and Cisse did score one on the last day against Villa and was generally pretty decent at them I think.

I’m sure Gerrard missed a couple early on. Wasn’t really until that Arsenal CL game I wars where he developed into someone really good at them under pressure.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3532 on: August 15, 2023, 11:20:29 am »
It will be very interesting to see how this man gets on in his first full season at Leverkusen. Last season was an impressive recovery in the league and also included a Europa League Semi Final. Let’s see what he can do with a summer to prepare.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3533 on: September 14, 2023, 01:41:55 pm »
Good start to their season

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #3534 on: September 14, 2023, 01:52:27 pm »
Big test coming up for them/Xabi in their next game away to Bayern. Friday evening viewing sorted!
JFT97

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3535 on: September 15, 2023, 03:02:02 pm »
Love that pic above. What an evening.

It also maybe shows what a great defender Nesta was, hes trying to stop the goal and his teammates are scratching their bollocks.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3536 on: September 15, 2023, 04:30:24 pm »

It also maybe shows what a great defender Nesta was, hes trying to stop the goal and his teammates are scratching their bollocks.

Garcia's permanent facial expression while playing... :D

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #3537 on: September 15, 2023, 05:02:09 pm »

How casually as well, Gattuso and Cafu - like it's a just pre-season friendly.  :D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3538 on: September 18, 2023, 07:31:08 pm »
Doing quite well, isn't he?

Navigated a tough round of initial fixtures with a draw away at Munich. Seems to have also gotten the incomings and outgoings more or less right in his first summer.

Still a while to go with this season (and beyond) but it is not surprising that both Bayern and Real are apparently keeping tabs.

Has anyone been watching Leverkusen this season? What is their style of play?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3539 on: September 19, 2023, 03:34:38 pm »
Doing quite well, isn't he?

Navigated a tough round of initial fixtures with a draw away at Munich. Seems to have also gotten the incomings and outgoings more or less right in his first summer.

Still a while to go with this season (and beyond) but it is not surprising that both Bayern and Real are apparently keeping tabs.

Has anyone been watching Leverkusen this season? What is their style of play?

The hidden message being, is he good enough to come in after Jurgen. I think everyone would love that (as long as he's good enough and I don't doubt he is)

Hopefully we don't find out how good he is in the Europa League
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 03:38:04 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3540 on: September 19, 2023, 08:23:28 pm »
Actually I hope we do. I don't think we have to suffer a Valencia-like schooling to assess a potential successor.

Early days for Xabi of course but it's good to see. Quite a few called this some years ago (his game intelligence and quiet gravitas) and also said Gerrard wouldn't cut the mustard.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:27:05 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3541 on: September 20, 2023, 11:51:19 am »
17 years ago today.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DuZd0n8MqWs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DuZd0n8MqWs</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3542 on: September 20, 2023, 12:13:29 pm »
Actually I hope we do. I don't think we have to suffer a Valencia-like schooling to assess a potential successor.

Early days for Xabi of course but it's good to see. Quite a few called this some years ago (his game intelligence and quiet gravitas) and also said Gerrard wouldn't cut the mustard.

I actually want to win the Europa League not be beaten by a potential future manager (however useful this was with Rafa)

Even worse, I do not want to see how good the future manager of Bayern or Real might be by getting beat by them.

He, with Hypia, Hansen, Thompson (P), Dalglish, Kennedy (A), Barnes, Milner, Reina and Callaghan is in my top 10 former players (as people as well as players)

Not forgetting Erik Mejier of course who falls down on the player side of things.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 12:18:17 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3543 on: September 20, 2023, 12:33:35 pm »

I actually want to win the Europa League not be beaten by a potential future manager (however useful this was with Rafa)

Even worse, I do not want to see how good the future manager of Bayern or Real might be by getting beat by them.
Think you misunderstood my point. We can assess/acknowledge just how good he and his Leverkusen team is, and still beat them to go on to win the EL. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Rafa's Valencia rocked up when we'd gone stale under Ged. Totally different scenario.

He played for 3 European giants in his career. We were his first love, as it were, and there's no reason to suggest him managing Madrid or Bayern is a foregone conclusion. Life is all about timing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 12:38:07 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3544 on: September 20, 2023, 12:53:50 pm »

We were his first love, as it were, and there's no reason to suggest him managing Madrid or Bayern is a foregone conclusion.

Xabi was supported by Texas?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3545 on: September 20, 2023, 03:21:59 pm »
Think you misunderstood my point. We can assess/acknowledge just how good he and his Leverkusen team is, and still beat them to go on to win the EL. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Rafa's Valencia rocked up when we'd gone stale under Ged. Totally different scenario.

He played for 3 European giants in his career. We were his first love, as it were, and there's no reason to suggest him managing Madrid or Bayern is a foregone conclusion. Life is all about timing.

Yes, indeed. Just don't want him to shine so brightly the money bags clubs show interest, 2nd in the Bundesliga, beating them 6-5 in the QF will do for me.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3546 on: September 20, 2023, 10:37:18 pm »

The hidden message being, is he good enough to come in after Jurgen. I think everyone would love that (as long as he's good enough and I don't doubt he is)

Ha! I haven't watched any of their games so don't have any idea how they play and if there is any alignment with how Liverpool play. That's why I was asking for peoples' opinions who have watched his teams play.

I think established, world class players will always have to navigate the extra publicity their managerial career will get. And the resultant big club opportunity that ends up coming too early for them and derails their carreer. There are a plethora of evidentiary examples.

Xabi feels to have navigated this well so far - took his team with the Sociedad youth teams and then choosing to ply his trade in Germany, which is more conducive to young, inexperienced managers. Hopefully he continues to choose his options carefully and doesn't jump at the next Bayern, Real, or even us before he is ready.

Of all the established players who have become managers, he seems to be one of the smartest and most well rounded. Wish him all the success! 

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3547 on: September 20, 2023, 11:05:54 pm »
I want Xabi to be great but whether someone played for us or not should have absolute no baring on whether we appoint them after Klopp in my personal opinion. I'm aware he's going well so far but he's not even a year into managing Leverkusen and has ultimately done nothing yet so think those shouts are daft atm. Could very easily and quickly go to shit for him.

"As long as he's good enough and I don't doubt he is" just seems a crazy statement for me considering his inexperience. Almost 3 years until Klopp goes (although I'm sure we all hope even longer), so much can happen in that time. Hopefully him becoming an undeniably great manager is one for sure. But even then there may be a better candidate for us, which is why I hate the ex player thing

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3548 on: September 21, 2023, 12:00:38 am »
I want Xabi to be great but whether someone played for us or not should have absolute no baring on whether we appoint them after Klopp in my personal opinion. I'm aware he's going well so far but he's not even a year into managing Leverkusen and has ultimately done nothing yet so think those shouts are daft atm. Could very easily and quickly go to shit for him.

"As long as he's good enough and I don't doubt he is" just seems a crazy statement for me considering his inexperience. Almost 3 years until Klopp goes (although I'm sure we all hope even longer), so much can happen in that time. Hopefully him becoming an undeniably great manager is one for sure. But even then there may be a better candidate for us, which is why I hate the ex player thing
Have you no romance in your soul?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3549 on: September 21, 2023, 12:25:13 am »
...whether someone played for us or not should have absolute no baring on whether we appoint them after Klopp in my personal opinion.

Your naked opinion?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3550 on: September 21, 2023, 02:47:04 am »
Your naked opinion?

Hey. This is a family board.

Though maybe it's Boebert's family

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3551 on: September 21, 2023, 10:35:24 am »

Loved Alonso as a player but we have to make the best decision possible and take sentiment out of it, Real/Bayern hire and fire managers, we don't, we want a winner who will be at the club for a decade or more

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3552 on: September 21, 2023, 02:04:09 pm »
Hey. This is a family board.

Though maybe it's Boebert's family

In which case, we're groping for answers...

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3553 on: September 21, 2023, 09:27:14 pm »

Loved Alonso as a player but we have to make the best decision possible and take sentiment out of it, Real/Bayern hire and fire managers, we don't, we want a winner who will be at the club for a decade or more

The unsentimental choice would be Gareth Barry.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3554 on: September 25, 2023, 11:44:00 pm »
In which case, we're groping for answers...

all hands on deck...

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3555 on: September 26, 2023, 01:51:43 am »
all hands on deck...

Do you know who I am?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3556 on: September 26, 2023, 02:18:05 am »
He's been linked to takeover at Real Madrid when Ancelotti leaves to take the Brazilian national gig at the end of this season.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3557 on: September 26, 2023, 07:58:28 am »
He's been linked to takeover at Real Madrid when Ancelotti leaves to take the Brazilian national gig at the end of this season.
If he's following in Don Carlo's footsteps, he'd be wise to first take the reigns at the club that springboarded the Italian into the Bernabeu hotseat.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3558 on: September 26, 2023, 08:29:33 am »
If he's following in Don Carlo's footsteps, he'd be wise to first take the reigns at the club that springboarded the Italian into the Bernabeu hotseat.

If Alonso does that, his neighbour is going to get dogs' abuse.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3559 on: September 26, 2023, 10:04:04 am »
If Alonso does that, his neighbour is going to get dogs' abuse.
My sarcasm wasn't obvious? :D