Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 171872 times)

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2016, 01:12:09 pm »
Was at a Sportmans evening with John Barnes last night...(and yes did World in motion)😂...What an absolute top bloke he is,I was talking to him about the 87/88 season,he was saying he didn't know how the Kop would take to him when he signed because there had been stories in the press in Jan 87 that he'd snubbed the chance to join us then.What actually happened was Watford and Lfc agreed a deal to transfer at the end of season,which was all kept quiet,press obviously reported the wrong end of stick...He needn't of worried.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2016, 10:04:03 pm »
Too young to remember him in his pomp.

By the time i followed Liverpool it was already in the early 90s.

He was such a good player even playing centrally.

Probably the classiest ex player out there since Kenny. Never says anything wrong.

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #362 on: May 22, 2016, 07:45:10 pm »
harrylfc... I have the distinct feeling I was sitting opposite you.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2016, 01:57:55 pm »
Only my second ever post so apologies if in the wrong place....

Recently, whilst I was waiting on a plane back from Doha (Qatar) John Barnes walked right past me and joined the queue to get on the plane. He noticed my initial 'No way!' reaction, and I just had to approach him. I apologised for taking one minute of his time and told him he was (which he was) 'one of the best players I have ever seen play football live in my life.'

He smiled and shook my hand. I told him I go back to the 80s and he replied 'The good old days.'

Hardly ground-breaking news but the guy was a Legend to me - I was there in the middle of The Kop when he scored those 2 v QPR, there also when he scored v Brentford in the QF before Hillsborough, and there at many others, including (despite us losing) that ripping overhead kick he banged in at Blackburn the year they bought the league.

Star struck I was, and completely unashamed of the fact.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: July 1, 2016, 01:30:17 am »
Only my second ever post so apologies if in the wrong place....

Recently, whilst I was waiting on a plane back from Doha (Qatar) John Barnes walked right past me and joined the queue to get on the plane. He noticed my initial 'No way!' reaction, and I just had to approach him. I apologised for taking one minute of his time and told him he was (which he was) 'one of the best players I have ever seen play football live in my life.'

He smiled and shook my hand. I told him I go back to the 80s and he replied 'The good old days.'

Hardly ground-breaking news but the guy was a Legend to me - I was there in the middle of The Kop when he scored those 2 v QPR, there also when he scored v Brentford in the QF before Hillsborough, and there at many others, including (despite us losing) that ripping overhead kick he banged in at Blackburn the year they bought the league.

Star struck I was, and completely unashamed of the fact.

You big pussy ;D

I'd have been exactly the same lol ... He's my hero and favourite player of all time.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #365 on: July 1, 2016, 08:44:24 am »
You big pussy ;D

I'd have been exactly the same lol ... He's my hero and favourite player of all time.
Dave Waller uploaded a video of Watford beating us 2-0 in 1986-7

no wonder we signed him after

1 goal 1 assist
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »
Just read on the echo he was on the wright show and he's been reviewing the papers and one in particular was the rag and he chose to take a quote from it.

Dissapointing as he knew what paper he was reading, it wasn't like it was thrust into his hands.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2016, 05:09:49 pm »
Just read on the echo he was on the wright show and he's been reviewing the papers and one in particular was the rag and he chose to take a quote from it.

Dissapointing as he knew what paper he was reading, it wasn't like it was thrust into his hands.

That's pretty sad to hear, he should know better

Video here: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/john-barnes-sun-wright-stuff-11798609?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:13:22 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2016, 05:30:00 pm »
there is no excuse, could of easily fucked it off, chose to carry on
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2016, 05:34:54 pm »
There was a huge uproar when Mark Lawrenson done something similar a while back. I'm not advocating the same here, but the response will be much more muted I would suspect given how well liked Barnes is and how much Lawrenson is derided (not for his achievements as a player of course).

Barnes should know better here. There is no excuse at all.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2016, 05:39:36 pm »
Cant believe this from him , hes very savvy as he was straight onto sky news when gove said he was for brexit ...really dissapointing .

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2016, 07:40:58 pm »
Thought he was more intelligent than that

Worse than lawrenson that was.

Particularly as Barnes played on the day

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:53 pm »
Idiot.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #373 on: August 25, 2016, 09:59:38 pm »
Really really disappointed by this. One of my all time favorite Liverpool players. The fact he hasn't even apologized speaks volumes for me.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2016, 10:01:36 pm »
Jesus Christ. My heart has just sank with this. John fucking Barnes  :'(

Edit - I can't even watch that video. Gutted by that, I really am
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: August 25, 2016, 10:09:03 pm »

"I'm starting with The S#n page 6"

I haven't watched past that as it's blew me away. Maybe irrationally, but I genuinely thought he got it. As Fiasco has said, there is literally no excuse. He has read this before going live on air.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #376 on: August 26, 2016, 12:24:11 am »
Lawrenson got pulled pillar to post over doing exactly the same.

How disappointing. I'll need to see the full video to judge the entire context, but beyond the likes of Dalglish, Barnes was one of the first people I thought wouldn't dare touch it, let alone reference it.

What a shame.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2016, 01:37:10 am »
Opened this thread hoping to read another cool story about John Barnes. Shocked. Of all people, John Barnes, on live TV actually reading that rag? What an opportunity to shame it and get a point across but he picks it up and reads it. Can't believe it. Like someone said, after Kenny he is one of the last you'd expect it off.

On another note, has his twitter bio always had nothing to do with LFC? Only says former England international. Seems odd due to how revered he is and how much of a legend he is for this club.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2016, 01:46:21 am »
does he resent the club for some reason? always felt he should have an ambassador role, lfctv etc. he could have done with the income i bet.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2016, 07:16:34 am »
John is usually much more switched on. Deeply Disappointing.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2016, 07:54:03 am »
Barnes..what the fuck lad?

One way to go from hero to zero is to knowingly have anything to do with that rag.
Just watched the clip,he knows..he knew..he still picked the fucking thing up & read an article from it.

Legend to bellend in 30 seconds.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2016, 08:12:05 am »
How fucking stupid and insensitive of him.

To those mentioning Lawrenson, he had history, "can't we just get on with the football now".

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: August 26, 2016, 10:03:50 am »
This is what he said today

BarnesTHEWRIGHTSTUFF

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:21:11 am by Rattleduser »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: August 26, 2016, 01:51:05 pm »

BarnesTHEWRIGHTSTUFF

So it's ok to read the scum, just not endorse it.

What a fucking joke.

Hero to Zero in 4 fucking seconds.

Disappointing.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: August 26, 2016, 01:53:58 pm »
Very disappointing. And absolutely gutting.

Anything for a £.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #385 on: August 26, 2016, 02:00:05 pm »
Fucking hell John Barnes.

Idol with feet of clay.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »
I know he pretended to spit when it was mentioned on that programme..
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: August 26, 2016, 02:04:53 pm »

BarnesTHEWRIGHTSTUFF

The Liverpool Echo are the ones who should know better??? Needs to give his head a wobble.

The way he tries to make a joke of it at the end and brush it away feels like he doesn't really care and he's just laughing at people who take the boycott seriously, like people are just being over-sensitive. That's what I took from it anyway. Very disappointing.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: August 26, 2016, 02:20:09 pm »

BarnesTHEWRIGHTSTUFF

Keep digging digger. Shameful stuff. I thought he knew better than that.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: August 26, 2016, 02:51:08 pm »
Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here, but all I see is that he thinks the Echo has stitched him up, irked he has to explain himself. He's making a joke of it at the end like people are out of order for not having him be so blasé about reading an article from the scum on national TV. It's been firmly established you do everything you can to not be associated with that rag, he knows it and he can't bring himself to say sorry for the offense he has caused. I'd like to think he knows he's made an error, the program even gave him air time to make amends and for me he's made another error of judgement.

I expected and wanted him to come out and say sorry, even if he went on to explain it the way he has.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #390 on: August 26, 2016, 02:54:54 pm »
Not the sharpest tool in the box.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #391 on: August 26, 2016, 02:57:36 pm »
I can't help but think that someone who has shown so much respect for the club, and has given so much for the club, ought perhaps be cut a little slack for what was a mistake....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: August 26, 2016, 03:03:00 pm »
I can't help but think that someone who has shown so much respect for the club, and has given so much for the club, ought perhaps be cut a little slack for what was a mistake....

If he'd came out and apologised and accepted what he did was wrong then sure, but he came out blaming other people, making excuses and then laughing it off with a joke.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2016, 03:25:48 pm »

Fair enough. As soon as he thinks he's done something wrong i'll give him a bit of slack for it.

*still waiting*

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2016, 03:41:44 pm »
Not the sharpest tool in the box.
and i didnt think that was the case with him at all

he was one of the few liverpool related people who spoke sense when Suarez had the racist row with evra

i had been saying for ages to people he should be a club ambassador

but not now

its a major fuck up on his part

Online Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2016, 04:07:25 pm »
Not good Barnesy, not good.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2016, 05:06:02 pm »
Say it ain't so, John?

I can't get either video to load but by the sounds of it on here it's not good. Hard to take given who he is.

For Liverpool fans my age (born 1980) he has a special place in our hearts - we were too young to fully appreciate Kenny & Souness as players and too old to have idols by the time Gerrard wore the shirt. Everything he'd done since, until this, pretty much confirmed to me he was worthy of adoration - the stance against racism, his intelligent musings on the state of the game, the rapping with the fans on the London Underground.

As others have insinuated on here, I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt if he shows just an ounce of contrition. Come on John, do the right thing!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2016, 06:00:53 pm »
I agree and disagree. He's correct in saying that reading isn't endorsing and to an extent, even though I think he was wrong, I can cut him some slack.

At the same time, he should still know better. The main point of the boycott is to show solidarity with the families, the survivors and the city in general and reading it out on a TV show, even as a 'formality', is not showing the sort of solidarity and respect that is deserved. If a close relative of his had died at Hillsborough, I highly doubt he would have made the same mistake.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2016, 06:23:15 pm »
I agree and disagree. He's correct in saying that reading isn't endorsing and to an extent, even though I think he was wrong, I can cut him some slack.

As soon as he mentions that rag,he is promoting it.
He will have surely seen the script in advance for the show?
If he did,he should have said that's not on or if he didn't for some reason he should have swerved it immediately.
He knows how strong feelings are & is completely ignorant of them.
The vid of his response won't load for me but it's clear from what others are saying,I won't watch it now anyway.
Utterly deplorable.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2016, 06:26:14 pm »
As soon as he mentions that rag,he is promoting it.
There's a difference between endorsing and unintentionally promoting.

Other than that, I agree.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:27:50 pm by lankyguy007. »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob