Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 395199 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2013, 12:29:53 pm »
Indoor stadiums.

The was part of the initial bid, that they were going to build indoor stadiums, have 'outdoor air conditioned stadiums' (?!).

Furthermore, August in Qatar (i've been) is pretty typical to most hot American states can get. It's not supressive hot. Well not when i was there.
Did you put shin pads on and run around for 90 minutes? It'll be brutal.

The heat is just one of several very, very good reasons why Qatar shouldn't have the World Cup. You could make a lot of good arguments for Russia being a bad choice too. Brazil as well for that matter.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline krispy.red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2013, 02:06:59 pm »
Indoor stadiums.

The was part of the initial bid, that they were going to build indoor stadiums, have 'outdoor air conditioned stadiums' (?!).

Furthermore, August in Qatar (i've been) is pretty typical to most hot American states can get. It's not supressive hot. Well not when i was there.
I live in Arizona in the states and it mirrors Qatar's summer weather pretty well. It's not possible to play during the day and even at night the heat hardly leaves once the sun is down. It's typical to have temps around 37C at midnight.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2013, 02:37:14 pm »
Its hot in Qatar in August? Huh, who would have thought.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »
England should host one again, it ticks all the boxes.

I've found World Cups boring in recent years, I want to see matches played at iconic stadiums like Wembley, Old Trafford and Anfield, not these new builds that you know will become white elephants after and have cost a fortune to some countries where the money could best be spent elsewhere.
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2013, 03:08:59 pm »
England should host one again, it ticks all the boxes.

I've found World Cups boring in recent years, I want to see matches played at iconic stadiums like Wembley, Old Trafford and Anfield, not these new builds that you know will become white elephants after and have cost a fortune to some countries where the money could best be spent elsewhere.
A good point. Even in Japan, they've not all been put to good use, and many sit dis-used in South Africa. We are one of the only countries where, if worst came to worst, we could be given a weeks notice and still stage the thing. The Olympics was amazing, iconic. We could easily host a World Cup without building any new stadia. Anfield, The Emirates, Old Trafford, St James', Stamford Bridge, Elland Road, Brammall Lane, The Etihad, Villa Park, Pride Park, The Olympic Stadium, White Hart Lane etc the list goes on.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »
That's it, it cost S.Africa a fortune and there is no use for them now, Qatar has a tiny population, it could never fill them again, in these days of austerity worldwide it's disgusting to me that so much money will be wasted on what is a vanity project, I know they can afford it but that's beside the point.

Offline jake11

• Main Stander
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »
That's it, it cost S.Africa a fortune and there is no use for them now, Qatar has a tiny population, it could never fill them again, in these days of austerity worldwide it's disgusting to me that so much money will be wasted on what is a vanity project, I know they can afford it but that's beside the point.

They can use the stadiums to house their Pakistani/North African slave labour.

See! Everyone's a winner.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »
I live in Arizona in the states and it mirrors Qatar's summer weather pretty well. It's not possible to play during the day and even at night the heat hardly leaves once the sun is down. It's typical to have temps around 37C at midnight.
But you could close the roof on University of Phoenix Stadium if there was a 2 PM kickoff scheduled, and it was 105 degrees out. Same with games in Dallas, Houston, etc.

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2013, 10:03:00 am »
How Quatar won the rights to have the world cup is a joke.  I cannot see a winter world cup, the risk of players getting injured, returning knackered etc will all have a massive negative effect - its far from a winter break.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2013, 10:16:53 am »
Haven't Qatar won the rights with a false bid if they do not do what they promised, which was new air conditioned stadiums which would allow a summer tournament?

This is how they sold their bid and people voted according to this, their bid should be null and void and a new bidding process should begin, but that would mean FIFA would have to hand back all that cash.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2013, 10:47:39 am »
Haven't Qatar won the rights with a false bid if they do not do what they promised, which was new air conditioned stadiums which would allow a summer tournament?

This is how they sold their bid and people voted according to this, their bid should be null and void and a new bidding process should begin, but that would mean FIFA would have to hand back all that cash.

What cash, guv'? We never took any cash. It were all on the level, see. Me name's Sepp. Call me Blatty. Straight as a die, I am. Honest as the day is long. What's that? My new luxury penthouse suite in Qatar? Purely co-incidence. Some nice bloke just gave me it, because he was so delighted by my championing of world football.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »

was listening to 5live on my way home from work and aparently the paperwork says "in principle" the world cup would be june/july so nothing concrete about when they host it

dont know how many folk listened to it but if you get a chance it was on about 7 the qatari rep was brilliant imo came across very

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »
There is no case for FIFA to move it IMO, unless a major catastrophe happens in Qatar some few years ahead of the tournament, or if there is no way Qatar could get the stadiums and the infrastructure ready before the tournament and I think that they would have no problems with that. Of course they won't do all of what they promised to do, the artificial clouds and air conditioning all of the country will never happen and FIFA will either bow to them and move it to the winter or bow to the top European federations and strip them of the hosting rights by which they will have to spend billions of Swiss franks in compensation.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2013, 12:07:01 am »
Hopefully by 2022 the League of Shadows will have toppled Fifa anyway.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2013, 12:09:54 am »
Hopefully by 2022 the League of Shadows will have toppled Fifa anyway.

FIFA need to be cleansed but we need to burn Zurich though.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2013, 02:33:31 am »
And they beat USA,Australia smh

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2013, 03:43:50 pm »
Australia may seek 2022 Fifa World Cup compensation

Australia's soccer chief Frank Lowy says his country's Football Federation (FFA) may seek compensation if the 2022 World Cup is switched to the winter.

Australia was one of four countries that lost out to Qatar, despite spending £25.27m on its bid.

Qatar has temperatures of 50 degrees Celsius in June and July, so Fifa is debating holding a winter tournament for the first time.
"Australia invested heavily in the World Cup process," Lowy said. 

"Since December 2010, Australia has been careful not to let its misgivings about the process be interpreted as sour grapes.

"But now, with increasing speculation about a change that will impact on us as one of the bidding nations, and because our competition will be affected, we have made our position public."

A FFA statement  also asked Fifa to look at awarding "just and fair compensation" to those nations that "invested many millions, and national prestige, in bidding for a summer event".

Qatar beat Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States to win the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

Lowy, the billionaire owner of the Westfield shopping centre empire, is also urging Fifa's executive board to not make a quick decision about moving the tournament to a date when the weather will be cooler.

He said: "Better to let the independent investigative process run its natural course and then, with those issues settled, make a clear-eyed assessment about rescheduling and its consequences."

Not worth the salt eh Blatter? Slimy old fuck.

I wonder if all the leagues that requires a league shift would follow pattern.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2013, 11:47:35 am »

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2013, 12:17:58 pm »
I think they should have it Mid May - and start the season 2021/22 early and finish it Mid April.

Problem solved and not too much upset to things?
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2013, 01:55:18 pm »
I think they should have it Mid May - and start the season 2021/22 early and finish it Mid April.

Problem solved and not too much upset to things?
Even if the leagues have to move a few weeks, there'll be a furore. It destabilises a few seasons, at least. I really do hope the financial powers that be (PL, La Liga, Bundesliga) come down firm on Fifa, and seek to change it's awful distribution of power and abuse of it. They've made a mistake, now they must deal with it. Sponsors may have some things to say too.

I'm sure there's plenty of sponsors pumping millions into both domestic leagues and the world cup. They won't want their interests damaged by money spend crossing over due to incompetence not of their part. Money will win the day. Can Qatar cough up more, or will Fifa be swayed by a (hopefully) strong and willful PL + other big European leagues?

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »
The likes of La Liga, Serie A and especially Bundesliga are bending over for FIFA, giving them their public support. Hope the FA remain strong in their decision and fuck them off completely.

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »
I hope Japan, South Korea and the US all join the Aussies and sue FIFA if the World Cup is changed to the winter.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2013, 03:18:47 pm »
The likes of La Liga, Serie A and especially Bundesliga are bending over for FIFA, giving them their public support. Hope the FA remain strong in their decision and fuck them off completely.

I know for a fact that Bundesliga is FOR a winter world cup.

No idea about the other 2 leagues and the FA.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2013, 03:21:51 pm »
I know for a fact that Bundesliga is FOR a winter world cup.

No idea about the other 2 leagues and the FA.

The FA are strongly against a winter world cup because the bid accepted was for a summer world cup and believe that is what should be held.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2013, 04:12:03 pm »
The FA are strongly against a winter world cup because the bid accepted was for a summer world cup and believe that is what should be held.
The Premier League hold a lot of the cards, they're the true financial juggernaut of world football. Having the FA against it will help. Hopefully the countries whose bids got rejected also go against Fifa.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2013, 06:07:28 pm »
101 Great Goals ‏@101greatgoals 1h
32 deaths of Nepalese workers recorded in July relating to construction industry in Qatar [Doha News] http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/32-deaths-of-nepalese-workers-recorded-in-july-relating-to-construction-industry-in-qatar-doha-news/

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:27 pm »
What an absolute farce this entire thing is, just move it to America, Australia or somewhere
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2013, 10:41:42 pm »
This has been an utter farce. The US and Australia are apparently outraged and so are some of their media partners. The problem they are going to have is you've got the likes of Fox, who have paid $1bn dollars to show the rights to the World Cup, who are now going to have to worry about matches conflicting with their NFL rights. You've also got companies who will have paid for the media rights to the World Cup, who have also paid for the rights to the Winter Olympics. If you have both of them near one another or overlapping, those companies now have to fork out more money to find programming for the summer that would have been dedicated to the World Cup.

I'd also guarantee you'll have a scenario in which a club sends a key player to the mid-season winter World Cup, only to have him injured and out for the rest of the season.

What an absolute farce this entire thing is, just move it to America, Australia or somewhere

Agreed

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »
Russia and Qatar shouldn't be allowed World Cup hosting privileges on the grounds of their appalling human rights, let alone anything else. Hope FIFA die a miserable fucking death over their corrupt decision to sell them to the two most morally-bankrupt bidders.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2013, 11:12:35 pm »
Russia and Qatar shouldn't be allowed World Cup hosting privileges on the grounds of their appalling human rights, let alone anything else. Hope FIFA die a miserable fucking death over their corrupt decision to sell them to the two most morally-bankrupt bidders.
Is right.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2013, 12:01:04 am »
A lot of past hosting countries had a far worse human right issues than Russia, think of the likes of Japan/South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, Chile and even the next year's hosting country, Brazil. By same logic, China shouldn't have hosted the Olympics, no?

Offline CarraG238

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2013, 12:06:20 am »
Apparently, Fox Sports in the States is really not happy with this decision and could give up the rights to broadcasting the World Cup in 2022. A Winter World Cup would go up against the NFL and College Football programming which could seriously dent the ratings.

Of course, if it a Winter World Cup gets the broadcast rights away from Fox, I'm all for that!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-16/fox-said-to-oppose-fifa-plan-to-reschedule-2022-soccer-world-cup.html
“It was the first game of the qualifying for us and well we can take a lot from it ,like I was talking to one of the guys from TNS about my internet connection at home and he said the reason I sometimes can't get on is because I am running the wrong browser with Windows 95 and he suggested I update to Windows XP” - 23 Carra Gold

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46:25 am »
Apparently, Fox Sports in the States is really not happy with this decision and could give up the rights to broadcasting the World Cup in 2022. A Winter World Cup would go up against the NFL and College Football programming which could seriously dent the ratings.

Of course, if it a Winter World Cup gets the broadcast rights away from Fox, I'm all for that!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-16/fox-said-to-oppose-fifa-plan-to-reschedule-2022-soccer-world-cup.html
But GUS JOHNSON

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2013, 05:14:51 am »
101 Great Goals ‏@101greatgoals 1h
32 deaths of Nepalese workers recorded in July relating to construction industry in Qatar [Doha News] http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/32-deaths-of-nepalese-workers-recorded-in-july-relating-to-construction-industry-in-qatar-doha-news/

Let me be faithful to my tagline for once :D , but what does this tragedy have to do with anything?

All sorts of accidents happen everywhere. Immigrants doing dirty/low profile/dangerous jobs? That is the truth almost everywhere. Haven't see a country much better in that respect. Qatar may not be paradise, but some of the criticism makes you think if people have alternative motives to pour some more shit on them.

I agree that human rights records have to be brought up again and again to pressurize these countries. But my view is that if you don't let them host anything, you (=world) pretty much ignore what is going on in there. I am positive that both Russia and Qatar will learn a lot from this. Global game, football, and world's is going through globalization. Let their respective population see other people, and accept them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:17:23 am by Xxavi »

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2013, 09:15:06 am »
Let me be faithful to my tagline for once

For real mate?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:14 am »
Fifa warned 2022 World Cup in Qatar must not clash with Winter Games

Fifa has been warned by the International Olympic Committee that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar must not clash with the Winter Games.

European countries yesterday gave their overall backing to moving Fifa's flagship tournament from the summer to avoid Qatar's extreme heat, with many expressing a preference for it to be played in January or February of that year.

But that could have a direct impact on the 2022 Winter Olympics, something the IOC yesterday made clear it would not countenance.

"We were aware that Fifa might consider changing the dates for the 2022 World Cup," a spokesman said.

"We are confident that Fifa will discuss the dates with us so as to co-ordinate them and avoid any effect on the Winter Games."

Although Fifa is in no way beholden to the IOC, the latter organisation does have the power to expel football from the Summer Olympics.

That would be a minor disaster for Fifa, whose executive committee is expected to agree in principle to move the 2022 World Cup to the winter at its meeting in Zurich on Oct 3-4.

That was after the 54 European countries which make up Uefa yesterday sanctioned a switch on the proviso Fifa consulted with the game's major stakeholders before making any decision about exactly when the tournament is staged.

Fifa vice-president and Uefa executive committee member Jim Boyce, speaking from the latter’s meeting in Dubrovnik, said: "There is still nine years to go and people feel Fifa should sit down with all the major stakeholders and come up with a solution that would cause the minimum disruption to football."

The British associations told yesterday's meeting they want to make sure Christmas week is protected for domestic football, while Uefa chiefs favour January so it would not impact on the Champions League.

Last week, Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke said Christmas matches would not be affected by any switch – and that there was no chance of moving the tournament from Qatar.

Valcke said: "We are not talking about taking Christmas or New Year away. Christmas is safe. The World Cup will not be played between Dec 24-Jan 1, so that will mean Boxing Day is safe.

"We are not talking about removing, we are talking about moving, that's key. We are talking about moving in the year 2022 in the country which has been awarded the World Cup."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10321916/Fifa-warned-2022-World-Cup-in-Qatar-must-not-clash-with-Winter-Games.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline enigma

• Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2013, 01:30:08 pm »
Did you put shin pads on and run around for 90 minutes? It'll be brutal.

The heat is just one of several very, very good reasons why Qatar shouldn't have the World Cup. You could make a lot of good arguments for Russia being a bad choice too. Brazil as well for that matter.

I live in Dubai and make no mistake, it is brutally hot in August - high humidity and temperatures even in the evenings being mid 40's.  I've also played 90 min matches outdoor here and it is ridiculous.  Even if games are air conditioned, you can't stay out-door without melting.  One of the good things in South Africa were the fan zones on the beach where you could watch the games with a beer.  On many, many reasons including footballing, Qatar is a ridicolous choice and should be removed from the process.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2013, 01:37:17 pm »
Fifa warned 2022 World Cup in Qatar must not clash with Winter Games

/snip

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #198 on: October 3, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
World Cup 2022: Opposition builds to Qatar winter switch

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter faces increasing resistance to his plan to move the Qatar 2022 World Cup to winter.

The president of football's world governing body said in August he wanted to move the event to avoid temperatures of more than 40C in the Gulf state.

However, Uefa president Michel Platini and several other members of Fifa's executive committee think more consultation needs to take place.

Platini says it is "impossible" to hold a vote on the issue on Friday.

The executive committee's two-day meeting in Zurich begins on Thursday, when such topics as Brazil's preparations for next year's World Cup will be under discussion.

The issue of Qatar is on the executive committee's agenda for Friday.

Following Blatter's comments on Qatar, Fifa had been expected to take a decision in principle to move the 2022 tournament from June and July, before a consultation process determined the exact dates for the competition.

But there has been opposition to a move, notably from the English Premier League, whose chief executive Richard Scudamore predicted "chaos" if a switch to the northern hemisphere winter is approved.

Britain's Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce believes the world governing body should delay any detailed decision on moving the tournament until there has been proper talks with the game's stakeholders.

Boyce, from Northern Ireland, is prepared to back a decision in principle to move the World Cup to the winter to avoid the summer heat in Qatar but thinks it is too early to decide on the exact timing.

"I wouldn't object to taking a decision on moving it in principle," he said. "But I don't think we can make any decision on the exact timing - should it be in November, January or whenever - until we have got everyone in the game around the table to find a solution."

That view was also expressed to BBC Sport by another member of the 28-strong executive committee, who wished to remain anonymous, while former British sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe agreed with the stance of Platini, who is also a Fifa vice-president.
Sutcliffe told BBC Radio 5 live: "I think that Platini is right, there needs to be consultation with our Premier League and with other leagues."

On Thursday, Football League chairman Greg Clarke, who was part of England's 2018 bid delegation three years ago when Qatar won the vote for 2022, said Fifa should run the vote again rather than switch the tournament to the winter.

"It should be like any public tender process and if the tender isn't valid, then have a new one," he said.

"There were some really good bids from people like Australia and the United States, who spent a lot of money and have a great footballing culture and really wanted to run the World Cup."

Uefa's 54 member associations have already backed a switch, while Europe's leading clubs have said they are "open" to the possibility of a winter World Cup in Qatar in 2022.

Qatar, which promised revolutionary air-cooling technology to counter the summer heat, reiterated in a statement on Wednesday that they are prepared to host the tournament at any time.

"If the international football community reaches a consensus to move the event to an alternate date, we are able to accommodate that change," it read.

While a decision on Friday to move the tournament should not yet be ruled out, Platini wants the executive committee to focus more on the plight of Qatar's migrant workers following allegations over severe labour law abuses.

Fifa will receive an update on Qatar's preparations on Thursday and is expected to discuss when the tournament will be staged and the issue of migrant workers on Friday.

If Fifa decide to switch the timings of the 2022 World Cup, Harold Mayne-Nicholls, the head of the Fifa inspection team that assessed Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid, believes the tournament should be moved to January and February, when temperatures in the Gulf state average about 22C.

However, that could lead to a potential clash with other big sporting events, notably the Winter Olympics and American football's Superbowl, not to mention domestic football leagues and the Champions League.

New International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach has said he is confident there will be no clash with the Winter Olympics.

But, under tentative plans drawn up by Mayne-Nicholls, the final of football's showpiece tournament would coincide with the Superbowl.

American TV network Fox, World Cup rights-holder for North America, is understood to be concerned over the commercial implications of any move that would see the 2022 World Cup clash with the NFL season, let alone the Superbowl, which is due to take place on Sunday, 6 February.

If the IOC and Fox can be accommodated, Fifa could still face the ire of Australia, Japan, South Korean and the United States, who all lost out to Qatar in the race to stage the 2022 World Cup.

Australia is demanding compensation from Fifa, arguing that it based its bid on a World Cup held in June and July.

Football's governing body claims there are no grounds for compensation as all bidders had to accept there could be a change to the schedule at the governing body's behest.

And a facepalming photo of the turd.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 3, 2013, 01:23:49 pm »
Fuck me that's an ugly hand