Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3430041 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #16920 on: October 29, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »
The money excuse is quite funny. What point is it not allowed to spend money? I'm guessing the threshold of 'moral' money is however much we can spend? After that it's disgusting and not allowed.

They hardly pulled a PSG and bought individual players for £200m.

Just because they didn't spend 200 milliion ona single player doesn't mean that they haven't spent more than certain countries in the world.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #16921 on: October 29, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »
The money excuse is quite funny. What point is it not allowed to spend money? I'm guessing the threshold of 'moral' money is however much we can spend? After that it's disgusting and not allowed.

They could might as well be Ipswich in my opinion. They`re a manifactured side with no "right" to be a top club.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16922 on: October 29, 2017, 01:26:32 pm »
Just because they didn't spend 200 milliion ona single player doesn't mean that they haven't spent more than certain countries in the world.

Cool. And we bought Keita for 60m. Tried to buy Van Dijk for 60m and tried to buy Lemar for 70m.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16923 on: October 29, 2017, 01:30:10 pm »
Cool. And we bought Keita for 60m. Tried to buy Van Dijk for 60m and tried to buy Lemar for 70m.

You really don`t see the difference between a club building up its foundations through decades compared to a mediocre team who would never be nowhere near where they are now if it wasn`t for the money aspect? Even Chelsea had some moderat sucess before Abramovic bought the club.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16924 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »
You really don`t see the difference between a club building up its foundations through decades compared to a mediocre team who would never be nowhere near where they are now if it wasn`t for the money aspect? Even Chelsea had some moderat sucess before Abramovic bought the club.

I don't really care.

I'm not saying they are a top club. I'm simply saying I don't care how much money they spend.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #16925 on: October 29, 2017, 01:35:19 pm »
Leroy Sane is a fucking player. Only player in the league I'm genuinely jealous of another team having. He'll be the best player in the league by a mile in a couple of years. Hope Barca or Madrid come for some of their players otherwise that front three of Sterling, Sane and Jesus is going to whoop this league for the next 5/6/7 years.

Same for me, mate. I really was hoping we'd find a way to land him before he went there. Fucking great head of hair, too.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16926 on: October 29, 2017, 01:36:25 pm »
Same for me, mate. I really was hoping we'd find a way to land him before he went there. Fucking great head of hair, too.

Apparently we wanted him but choose Mane instead which is fair enough.

He's brilliant though. So much pace and intelligence and scores goals too.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #16927 on: October 29, 2017, 01:36:30 pm »
In fairness, we never outspend anyone.

We've been penny pinching for years.

Also, we had no intention of spending that money. The clubs sent out their journalist goons to try keep fans happy. 'Respected' journalists talking of a 200 million final day spending spree.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16928 on: October 29, 2017, 01:37:39 pm »

Also, we had no intention of spending that money. The clubs sent out their journalist goons to try keep fans happy. 'Respected' journalists talking of a 200 million final day spending spree.

If Southampton had said they'd sell Van Dijk we would have bought him.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16929 on: October 29, 2017, 01:38:39 pm »
If Southampton had said they'd sell Van Dijk we would have bought him.
I don't mean this in a horrible way, but extreme naivety.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16930 on: October 29, 2017, 01:42:50 pm »
I don't mean this in a horrible way, but extreme naivety.

So you think Jurgen Klopp went and met him for no reason? The club embarrassed themselves for no reason?

They could have just not went in for Van Dijk. Nobody would have said anything. But yeah, Klopp met him knowing he wouldn't be signing him.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16931 on: October 29, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »
So you think Jurgen Klopp went and met him for no reason? The club embarrassed themselves for no reason?

They could have just not went in for Van Dijk. Nobody would have said anything. But yeah, Klopp met him knowing he wouldn't be signing him.

And do you think we would have spent 60,000,000 on Keita if we signed Van Dijk earlier in the summer?

Every summer we hear about these spending sprees. We haven't seen a single one.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16932 on: October 29, 2017, 01:46:29 pm »
I don't really care.

I'm not saying they are a top club. I'm simply saying I don't care how much money they spend.

The modern fan summed up in 2 sentances.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:48:29 pm by CrasherKid79 »

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16933 on: October 29, 2017, 01:49:07 pm »
The modern fan summed up in 2 paragraphs.

:lmao

Grow up. Honestly, attitude like yours are absolutely pathetic.

Oh no they cant spend that money. We can. But they cant. We can spend more money than 99.9% of teams in the world but nobody can spend more than we can because thats not fair.

Only 'history' clubs are allowed to win things. Everyone else should just know their place and let Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd share the league titles for the rest of time.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #16934 on: October 29, 2017, 01:51:19 pm »

Exactly. We tried and failed. How different might our season look had we signed Lemar, Van Dijk, and Keita (this season).
That's the difference between window shopping and actually bringing something back with you. That's the difference between spending and not spending.
And they spent. Bucket loads.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16935 on: October 29, 2017, 01:52:16 pm »

Oh no they cant spend that money. We can. But they cant. We can spend more money than 99.9% of teams in the world but nobody can spend more than we can because thats not fair.

Only 'history' clubs are allowed to win things. Everyone else should just know their place and let Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd share the league titles for the rest of time.

The modern fan in 8 sentences.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16936 on: October 29, 2017, 01:56:10 pm »
Exactly. We tried and failed. How different might our season look had we signed Lemar, Van Dijk, and Keita (this season).
That's the difference between window shopping and actually bringing something back with you. That's the difference between spending and not spending.
And they spent. Bucket loads.

Yeah and we tried to spend bucket loads. What's your bloody point here? We tried to do EXACTLY what they bloody did only we were fucking shite at it.

So you aren't bitching out of some moral anti money reasoning, you're just pissed because they did exactly what we wanted to do but got the bloody job done.

I wonder if we had got Lemar and Van Dijk over the line as well as getting Keita this summer and not next, and were sat in the position City are, if you or any of the rest of the anti money gang would be sitting arms folded saying "no this isnt right, this shouldnt be allowed"

I wonder if you think it's unfair on Southampton, West Brom, Stoke etc that we completely outspend them?

Money is money. It's nothing but an excuse really. I could understand French league fans moaning about it because the difference there is so massive. In the Premier League, it's like Mark Zuckerberg moaning about Bill Gates. Yeah he has more money than you. But you're still a bloody billionaire.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16937 on: October 29, 2017, 01:57:11 pm »
The modern fan in 8 sentences.

Cool. Glad I live in the modern era. Maybe if Liverpool had then we wouldn't be sat without a league title for 27 years.

I'm sure you find it disgusting that we bought Keita for £60m.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16938 on: October 29, 2017, 01:59:14 pm »
Cool. Glad I live in the modern era. Maybe if Liverpool had then we wouldn't be sat without a league title for 27 years.

I'm sure you find it disgusting that we bought Keita for £60m.
Haha when our net spend is 30,000,000 again next summer.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:01:09 pm by Anywhichwayucan »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16939 on: October 29, 2017, 01:59:27 pm »

Why don’t we just get 20 of the richest money men to buy every club in the league then and it can be like the NFL.

That’s basically the end game of your ideal.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16940 on: October 29, 2017, 02:06:16 pm »
Why don’t we just get 20 of the richest money men to buy every club in the league then and it can be like the NFL.

That’s basically the end game of your ideal.

Honestly, this damn forum.

Why do people need to take everything to extremes.

Highlight the post where I said that is my ideal. Go on. I'll wait. Highlight even a bit where I said I prefer money. Even just highlight that. Ah. You can't.

I said I don't give a shit who spends what. No money. Loads of money. I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

But yes. That highlights that I want the 20 richest men in the world to be owning all the Premier League clubs.  ::)

Jesus christ, how do some of you get through the day interacting with real people.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16941 on: October 29, 2017, 02:07:45 pm »

Honestly, this damn forum.

Why do people need to take everything to extremes.

Highlight the post where I said that is my ideal. Go on. I'll wait. Highlight even a bit where I said I prefer money. Even just highlight that. Ah. You can't.

I said I don't give a shit who spends what. No money. Loads of money. I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

But yes. That highlights that I want the 20 richest men in the world to be owning all the Premier League clubs.  ::)

Jesus christ, how do some of you get through the day interacting with real people.

You sound like 2Pac.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16942 on: October 29, 2017, 02:11:25 pm »
You sound like 2Pac.

His raps about the morality of football teams spending money were inspirational. What can I say?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16943 on: October 29, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »
His raps about the morality of football teams spending money were inspirational. What can I say?

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16944 on: October 29, 2017, 03:32:01 pm »
They could might as well be Ipswich in my opinion. They`re a manifactured side with no "right" to be a top club.

No right?

So football should be dominated by the same clubs year in year out. Nobody else should be able to break through. That sounds like a monopoly.

The reality is man city were never going to get to the top without seriously investment.

PSG would never get among the top in Europe without investment.

The romantic side is nice but c'mon it's just not happening.

I'll give you Monaco as a success without having to spend huge amount of money last season. What was the result? The rest of Europe came and took there best players.

If the 'big clubs' want to play fair and not buy the smaller clubs best talent then maybe you might just get a club building themselves up over a duration of time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:37:14 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16945 on: October 29, 2017, 03:39:22 pm »
No right?

So football should be dominated by the same clubs year in year out. Nobody else should be able to break through. That sounds like a monopoly.

Having a Sheik with unlimited wealth isn’t breaking through.

Clubs like Leicester, Atleti and Dortmund broke through.

Clubs like City, Chelsea and Leipzig are manufactured.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16946 on: October 29, 2017, 03:39:34 pm »
While it is unrealistic for a club to reach the top without serious backing nowadays, there is still a huge range of possibilities for clubs between doing it all themselves and the throwing a billion or so at the squad like city have done.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16947 on: October 29, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »
While it is unrealistic for a club to reach the top without serious backing nowadays, there is still a huge range of possibilities for clubs between doing it all themselves and the throwing a billion or so at the squad like city have done.

As is said there is but it becomes extremely difficult when you can't hold onto your best players.

Clubs like Leicester, Atleti and Dortmund broke through.

Clubs like City, Chelsea and Leipzig are manufactured   

Leicester? One season isn't breaking through.

Dortmund did indeed but like I said to sustain that kind of success for even 5 years let alone 10 is hard work.

Personally I really don't begrudge a club getting a sugar daddy. Football has never been an even playing field.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:49:02 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16948 on: October 29, 2017, 03:50:27 pm »
It's possible for clubs to break through without spending massive amounts, it's impossible to sustain it.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16949 on: October 29, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »

Ipswich have far more class and history than City.  They have produced the two best England managers ever, had some great performances in Europe, and unlucky not to win the league on more than one occasion, one of those reasons being us, I believe.  They have had some very good sides.  Great achievements for quite a "small" club.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:55:54 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #16950 on: October 29, 2017, 04:34:54 pm »
Yeah and we tried to spend bucket loads. What's your bloody point here? We tried to do EXACTLY what they bloody did only we were fucking shite at it.

So you aren't bitching out of some moral anti money reasoning, you're just pissed because they did exactly what we wanted to do but got the bloody job done.

I wonder if we had got Lemar and Van Dijk over the line as well as getting Keita this summer and not next, and were sat in the position City are, if you or any of the rest of the anti money gang would be sitting arms folded saying "no this isnt right, this shouldnt be allowed"

I wonder if you think it's unfair on Southampton, West Brom, Stoke etc that we completely outspend them?

Money is money. It's nothing but an excuse really. I could understand French league fans moaning about it because the difference there is so massive. In the Premier League, it's like Mark Zuckerberg moaning about Bill Gates. Yeah he has more money than you. But you're still a bloody billionaire.

We tried to spend bucket loads within our  club's means, and failed to do due to those constraints. Had we had an unlimited budget akin to City, we would have brought all the above players.  They actually spent bucket loads outside their club's means, unsurprisingly,  they almost always get all of their first choices.
If you find it hard to distinguish the difference between our ability to outspend the likes of Stoke vs the likes of City, chelsea and PSG outspending every club in Europe tha  there really is nothing more to discuss.
I for one can see why some have no qualms with financial strength wrought on success and a large support base as opposed to financial strength due to an owners deep pockets.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16951 on: October 29, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »

Correct. This is not something new in football either, some of the clubs currently known as "European giants" became "big" just exactly the same way Chelsea and ManCity did. Take AC Milan, for example. Where were they before and after Berlusconi? Even Napoli bought Maradona for a world record sum.

Happened many times in football. And I personally don't mind if it is going to improve a league and increase competition. Why not?*

*With that being said, I believe in England, more sugar daddies aren't increasing the level of football or competition. Nowadays, it's just increasing transfer fees for the same average players.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16952 on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:04 pm »
Correct. This is not something new in football either, some of the clubs currently known as "European giants" became "big" just exactly the same way Chelsea and ManCity did. Take AC Milan, for example. Where were they before and after Berlusconi?

Well they had a couple of European cups and a dozen or so league titles so hardly in dire straits.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16953 on: October 29, 2017, 05:04:30 pm »
Ah, the 'they have no right to be good because they spend money' brigade is out again.

We, as a collective, should be renamed to forever being the set of fans complaining about the money men while criticizing our owners of 'lowballing' or 'penny pinching' in the transfer market. Van Dijk, if completed would be the record signing for the most expensive defender. And who cares if they are doing it 'above their means' ? Its still football. And as of today, it is a profit making enterprise. They are damn good at it and their fans wouldn't mind if it brings them glory.

The green envy is very, very hard to disguise, however much you try to cover it up with indignation at their spending.

Anyway, it seems Pep has the team finally established as a fluid machine which he tried to do last season. The changes in Raheem are phenomenal. He is much more circumspect with his end product and intelligent with his movement, which has improved his productivity immensely. Can't believe he is the same player we despaired at for being so inconsistent with crossing and shots on target. Not saying Brendan was to blame, but Pep has certainly taken him to the next level.

As for Sane, less said the better. Absolute belter of a player. Right now it looks like De Bruyne is their focal point, but I believe that trio of Sane, Jesus and Raheem will become frighteningly good in the coming years.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:06:44 pm by NativityinBlack »

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16954 on: October 29, 2017, 05:07:40 pm »
Well they had a couple of European cups and a dozen or so league titles so hardly in dire straits.
Yet, they needed a "cash doping" to get to the top of the world, buy the famous Dutch trio, and for years to claim they are the biggest club on the planet. Would they be able to do any of that? No.

I don't disagree that they had titles before Berlusconi. But Nottingham Forest have, too. And where are they? AC Milan were relegated to Serie B before Berlusconi, and after that, they were midtable.

Without Berlusconi's money, AC Milan could have been like Torino nowadays.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16955 on: October 29, 2017, 05:10:09 pm »
So anyone think Pep will stay at City after his 3 years are up.

I know he's said in multiple interviews that he doesn't like to stay at a club long.

PSG next?
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16956 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:38 pm »
So anyone think Pep will stay at City after his 3 years are up.

I know he's said in multiple interviews that he doesn't like to stay at a club long.

PSG next?
I think the chances of that happening is higher than his Bayern and Barcelona time. At those clubs, he had to work with a Sporting Director and bunch of other directors. He must enjoy being a "manager" as opposed to only a "coach" in Germany and Spain. Another factor, ManCity seemingly have nobody who will oppose his views or play politics.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #16957 on: November 2, 2017, 10:03:20 am »
So we ought to congratulate Aguero on their club scoring record. Its about half as many as Rushie scored, so it must be a lot. Will you play there enough years to catch him up mate?
« Last Edit: November 2, 2017, 10:05:44 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16958 on: November 2, 2017, 10:18:01 am »

'War chest'

::shudder::

...wouldn't mind if it a set of turrets on tits...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #16959 on: November 2, 2017, 10:21:32 am »
So we ought to congratulate Aguero on their club scoring record. Its about half as many as Rushie scored, so it must be a lot. Will you play there enough years to catch him up mate?

178 goals? Rush, Hodgson, Hunt, Liddell, Gerrard & Fowler have more, though he’ll probably catch Stevie & God this season (186 & 183 respectively.)