Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5718588 times)

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #46840 on: October 27, 2017, 01:18:21 pm »
Their obsession with Chamberlain is fucking weird on social media. Every misplaced pass he does seems to be the talking point of Arsenal fans on Twitter and Reddit. Him rejecting a new contract to come to us really hurt them for some reason...

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46841 on: October 27, 2017, 01:50:31 pm »
Their obsession with Chamberlain is fucking weird on social media. Every misplaced pass he does seems to be the talking point of Arsenal fans on Twitter and Reddit. Him rejecting a new contract to come to us really hurt them for some reason...
They could rationalise players who have left in the past going to City or somewhere for the money or a better chance of winning the league, like we did with Torres. Taking a pay cut just to come and work for Klopp is a proper kick in the teeth to be honest. Also he's English so can't say he's foreign and didn't understand the club.

It's hard to blame him though (and I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible by saying that), he has the talent and he's probably looked at Walcott's faltering career under Wenger and thought he doesn't want to end up being wasted potential. If there's a real player in there somewhere I'm confident Klopp is the man to bring it out of him.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:52:07 pm by thelinnen »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46842 on: October 27, 2017, 01:58:54 pm »

The vast majority of them were hailing him as one of their better players before he left. One of the ones who would still perform well when the rest of the team wasn't, deserved more minutes, etc, etc. Now all of a sudden he is shite and they were glad to get rid of him.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46843 on: October 27, 2017, 03:46:09 pm »
I think the general feeling is that most Arsenal fans  have been pleasantly surprised that Ox has been worse than they thought he would be.
The irony felt by Arsenal fans is that the media drove the move as Ox being held back by Wenger, and he is now performing worse for Liverpool than he did for Arsenal.
I still think he ll come good because he's an excellent player, but I'm not surprised that Arsenal fans are enjoying his temporary dip in form.
I can't hate the player though, never came across as anything other than genuine. I think he's a little unlucky in leaving one chaotic team and seemingly ending up in another, but he also needs to grow as a personality and start leading on the pitch himself.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46844 on: October 27, 2017, 08:19:48 pm »
They could rationalise players who have left in the past going to City or somewhere for the money or a better chance of winning the league, like we did with Torres. Taking a pay cut just to come and work for Klopp is a proper kick in the teeth to be honest. Also he's English so can't say he's foreign and didn't understand the club.

It's hard to blame him though (and I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible by saying that), he has the talent and he's probably looked at Walcott's faltering career under Wenger and thought he doesn't want to end up being wasted potential. If there's a real player in there somewhere I'm confident Klopp is the man to bring it out of him.

The problem he has at Liverpool, is the same he had at Arsenal, and maybe even more so. If he wants to play central, then he competes with Coutinho, Can, Gigi, Lallana, Henderson,and soon to be Naby Keita. As a wide forward he doesn't have the end product of a Salah or Mane.

I just don't see how it's possible for him to excel to be honest, and I like the lad, and I'm not bitter, I can understand why he would want to leave Arsenal.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46845 on: October 27, 2017, 08:25:35 pm »
The problem he has at Liverpool, is the same he had at Arsenal, and maybe even more so. If he wants to play central, then he competes with Coutinho, Can, Gigi, Lallana, Henderson,and soon to be Naby Keita. As a wide forward he doesn't have the end product of a Salah or Mane.

I just don't see how it's possible for him to excel to be honest, and I like the lad, and I'm not bitter, I can understand why he would want to leave Arsenal.
I think it's a toss up where he ends up playing to be honest, he could develop into a consistently good winger but I also see similarities with Lallana in that he can look good on the ball but doesn't contribute enough in attack to play in a front three. After a few months working with Klopp I think he'll start to come good.

Also the competition isn't as fierce as you make out, Can in all likelihood will be leaving and the current midfield has been shocking anyway this season. It's incredibly static and easy to play through, which is a terrible combination. Milner got a start against Spurs because he offered something different in midweek by making runs into the box, we desperately miss Lallana in that respect.

I would drop Can for Chamberlain right now to be honest but I don't see that happening.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:27:19 pm by thelinnen »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46846 on: October 27, 2017, 08:53:36 pm »
Lads, it's time to appreciate one of the greats - https://streamable.com/vv5d2  :)

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46847 on: October 27, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »

Think it's a bemusement that him flattering to deceive wasn't just an Arsenal issue.  I fully expected him to go to play for Klopp and thrive in a counter attacking system - yet he's been put at right back, centre midfield and on the wing, just as he had for Wenger.   Perhaps it's a problem with having talent but not consistency. He was at the club for around seven years and never seemed to kick on, but personally speaking I was glad he rejected the contract and got the club Ł40m in the process.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #46848 on: October 27, 2017, 09:03:10 pm »
Lads, it's time to appreciate one of the greats - https://streamable.com/vv5d2  :)

Ha very good. Some amazing goals and seems a good character Giroud.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46849 on: October 28, 2017, 05:27:57 am »

He's closer than that imo.  Mane and Salah aren't going to play every game, case in point Mane's out today. Can and Gini are not up to much so far,  any serious player gets ahead. Firmino as well will come under threat if he doesn't up his contributions, we could easily play a flexible Mane, Salah, Chamberlain front three if the Ox stands out enough.

A load of fillers in the side, he's got a chance to make his case over the season.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #46850 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:33 am »
The ArsenalFanTV podcast about their AGM is really interesting, even as a non-Arsenal fan

The boiled piss routine has become pretty stale, but I find Robbie and DT pretty engrossing still.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:13:45 am by rowan_d »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #46851 on: November 5, 2017, 04:28:57 pm »
How depressing could it be to see the back line of your team is Koscielny, Coquelin and Monreal. You'd think they'd moved on from Djourou, Squilacci days but no.

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #46852 on: November 5, 2017, 04:30:33 pm »
I genuinely wouldn’t take Ozil on a free. Wouldn’t want that mentality of his in our dressing room no matter his ability.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46853 on: November 5, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »
How depressing could it be to see the back line of your team is Koscielny, Coquelin and Monreal. You'd think they'd moved on from Djourou, Squilacci days but no.

Koscielny is 1 of the better defenders in the league, & Monreal has been our most consistent player this season. I've no idea what Coquelin was doing back there though.

Don't think many was expecting a result there (sad indication of where we are at maybe). Only positive is that along with you guys we aren't far off the hunt for top 4 and we've got Anfield, Stamford Bridge and Etihad (& Stoke) out the road. Need to win at home vs Spurs next game mind you, although they are probably a better side than us just now.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2017, 08:14:37 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46854 on: November 5, 2017, 07:22:08 pm »
Spurs probably the better side???

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46855 on: November 5, 2017, 08:14:19 pm »
Spurs probably the better side???

Would you say they are better than you guys?

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #46856 on: November 5, 2017, 08:28:03 pm »

Yes. And I believe that we are a better team than Arsenal.

Wenger's ridiculous team selection strikes again. Lacazette needed to start today. No ifs, buts or maybes...

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46857 on: November 5, 2017, 08:28:21 pm »

not too much in it, think they're better balanced than us and deffo better at the back but we've got the ability to, well you saw first hand not so long ago ;D

think it'll be a tight game, could go either way if arsenal are at it, if not then a comfortable spurs win

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #46858 on: November 5, 2017, 08:47:37 pm »
Deffo finishing above this lot
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #46859 on: November 5, 2017, 08:48:25 pm »
And spurs
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46860 on: November 5, 2017, 08:59:38 pm »
yes, we’ve finished above them something like once in the last eight seasons and even though I don’t think the gap is as big as some think they’re still better than us by a bit

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46861 on: November 5, 2017, 09:39:28 pm »
Spurs are better than both of us, they're guaranteed top 4 this season, not something we can say about either of us.
The quicker Ozil leaves on a free the better, minute I saw him on the team sheet I knew wed lost. A proper manager would pick him against the Everton's and drop him against the Man citys. The player we insist on dropping every big away game is Lacazette, no idea how Wenger came up with this ridiculous idea.
City are actually not that great, any decent team that waits long enough will get plenty of gifts from us, we have some right average players down the spine of our team, I can see them hitting a wall at some stage, but it wont matter, no one below them is good enough to capitalise.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46862 on: November 5, 2017, 09:43:28 pm »
yes, we’ve finished above them something like once in the last eight seasons and even though I don’t think the gap is as big as some think they’re still better than us by a bit

And they've finished ahead of us once in the last 20 odd years.  ;)

Listen, I said probably because it's not easy for me to admit. I'd reluctantly say they are better than us, stronger in defence, more balanced in midfield and a striker better than any of ours. The next game will be a big game for both teams, Arsenal need to win to try and assert themselves again, Spurs win and it really does confirm them as top dogs.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #46863 on: November 5, 2017, 11:29:06 pm »
50m on a striker that gets benched away at the big teams. What was the point.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #46864 on: November 6, 2017, 02:54:08 am »
Ramsey for me was atrocious.  He always seems to need an extra touch and he doesn't excel at anything in particular. 

Also Bellerin was kinda useless.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46865 on: November 6, 2017, 05:23:35 am »
As someone who supports a club that competes against these, can I just say how great it is to see Iwobi and Le Coq on the team sheet?  Never change Arsene. Lacazette on the bench!
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46866 on: November 6, 2017, 08:43:44 am »
Ramsey for me was atrocious.  He always seems to need an extra touch and he doesn't excel at anything in particular. 

Also Bellerin was kinda useless.

Ramsey is very wasteful in possession like you say, always seems to take too many touches, simple passes going astray. Xhaka after starting to perform well at the end of last season has reverted back to his original form. It is a big worry as we still don't seem to have the balance right, or the correct personnel to address the balance in midfield still. For a man that prides himself on possession football & having technical players, he has a few out there that struggle with the concept. Putting Coquelin as the middle central defender, for the first time, against the best team in the league? Injuries or not, what's that all about?

Spurs at home will tell us an awful lot. Lose that & it's going to be a long season again.

Offline Sol-89

• Kopite
  • O Eboue, Eboue, wherefore art thou Eboue?
« Reply #46867 on: November 6, 2017, 09:14:39 am »
Got a result that a 5th or 6th placed team might achieve, which is par for a team that is destined to finish 5th or 6th.

A different manager could get a great deal more out of this set of players. Wenger is utterly past it and we will go nowhere until he finally departs.  It's been a slow decline over the past 10 years but accelerated in the past 12-18 months.  Our only two world class players will be gone next season and we have a mountainous rebuilding job to do, and Wenger will absolutely fuck that up as well.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46868 on: November 6, 2017, 09:49:18 am »
Got a result that a 5th or 6th placed team might achieve, which is par for a team that is destined to finish 5th or 6th.

A different manager could get a great deal more out of this set of players. Wenger is utterly past it and we will go nowhere until he finally departs.  It's been a slow decline over the past 10 years but accelerated in the past 12-18 months.  Our only two world class players will be gone next season and we have a mountainous rebuilding job to do, and Wenger will absolutely fuck that up as well.

You think?

I don't really see a huge amount there to be honest, its obviously mainly his fault that he has that set of players anyway but I'd say 5th/6th is about par for them. Sanchez is obviously excellent, Koscielny is a good CB but pretty injury prone, Cech is decent but nowhere near what he used to be and Lacazette should score a lot of goals but generally they've got a lot of pretty good players but that's about it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46869 on: November 6, 2017, 09:56:41 am »

3-1 is actually not too bad in the context of what Man City have been doing to sides recently. They've won 15 on the spin and they've scored 52 already this season! I guess you guys will be seeing it as a continuation of poor results against the top sides though.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46870 on: November 6, 2017, 10:22:16 am »
We'll probably get the right line up by the time the fa cup comes round.
Reality is that even if we picked the perfect line up every time, and had the best manager in the world,This set of players won't win a title. Makes football a little boring at the moment, fighting for a CL place lost its appeal a long time ago. Finding it very hard to get excited about football right now, there is just nothing to play for.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46871 on: November 6, 2017, 10:26:05 am »
We'll probably get the right line up by the time the fa cup comes round.
Reality is that even if we picked the perfect line up every time, and had the best manager in the world,This set of players won't win a title. Makes football a little boring at the moment, fighting for a CL place lost its appeal a long time ago. Finding it very hard to get excited about football right now, there is just nothing to play for.

I don't find it boring because I think we're still developing but if we're just scrapping it out for a Champions League spot in the next half a decade I'd feel the same as you do now. I would say though the gulf in class between Man City and the rest is larger than the gap between the best and the rest in any other top league. They're so far ahead at this point it's untrue, despite constantly hearing how competitive the Premier League is.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46872 on: November 6, 2017, 10:27:19 am »
Footballs getting a bit shit in general lads, but we're all just too far in to give it up now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46873 on: November 6, 2017, 10:52:27 am »
Spurs are better than both of us, they're guaranteed top 4 this season, not something we can say about either of us.
The quicker Ozil leaves on a free the better, minute I saw him on the team sheet I knew wed lost. A proper manager would pick him against the Everton's and drop him against the Man citys. The player we insist on dropping every big away game is Lacazette, no idea how Wenger came up with this ridiculous idea.
City are actually not that great, any decent team that waits long enough will get plenty of gifts from us, we have some right average players down the spine of our team, I can see them hitting a wall at some stage, but it wont matter, no one below them is good enough to capitalise.

Yup. City and Spurs will be there for sure. Us, Arsenal, Chelsea and United to battle for the remaining two places. It would be beautiful if the two teams missing out are Chelsea and United.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46874 on: November 6, 2017, 11:05:48 am »
Yup. City and Spurs will be there for sure. Us, Arsenal, Chelsea and United to battle for the remaining two places. It would be beautiful if the two teams missing out are Chelsea and United.

We'll see

Right now the only guarantee in that top four I'd say is City.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #46875 on: November 6, 2017, 11:41:13 am »
I don't find it boring because I think we're still developing but if we're just scrapping it out for a Champions League spot in the next half a decade I'd feel the same as you do now. I would say though the gulf in class between Man City and the rest is larger than the gap between the best and the rest in any other top league. They're so far ahead at this point it's untrue, despite constantly hearing how competitive the Premier League is.
City will hit a slump. Probably still win the league, but they wont romp it, have they done the wet Tuesday night at stoke yet?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #46876 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
Agree that City will most likely win it now....wasn't so sure in pre-season cos thought maybe the amount of players they bought could need time to settle....

Nope. They're on it. Will probably have a wobble but won't be caught...

Anyone can make the rest of the places in top 3...even Arsenal. They aren't going for Europa really judging by the teams they're putting out so who knows if concentrating on the league they keep on beating the weak teams (which they're generally excellent at doing) and maybe grab a couple results against top 6 they could make it. Need to sort the away form tho.

I personally don't think they will but wouldn't rule them out....
If we get the same consistency they did in terms of achieving a top 4 place year in year out then i'll be happy....but I'd defo be hoping for further improvements towards winning the damned title, including proper runs at it or would become disillusioned like many Arsenal fans now for sure
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:14:59 am by redk84 »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46877 on: November 10, 2017, 11:20:19 am »
I think with ourselves, we can see a path of what we need to do in order to bridge the gap to the very top teams. I think whether we get top 4 this season will depend on if we can keep up our goalscoring.

Arsenal are a weird one. Even with the team they've got now, they're gonna start next season a step or two further back. They're gonna have to do a hell of a lot of business next summer to get back amongst things, something the Arsenal board haven't done for a long time.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #46878 on: November 10, 2017, 12:05:51 pm »
Arsenal are so unique in that I believe Wenger could turn things round for them if he massively changes his attitude to spending and rotation (lacazette benched!) But if he carries on and they slumped to mid-bottom half of the table he absaloutly will not be removed. Having the knowledge that he can do what be likes and suffer no consequence must affect his judgement.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #46879 on: November 15, 2017, 04:46:58 pm »
looks like Borussia Dortmund head scout Sven Mislintat could soon be on his way to arsenal according to Kicker, with talks at an advanced stage.