Author Topic: Bruno Cheyrou -What Happened  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
Bruno Cheyrou -What Happened
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »
Mods if there is another thread, i do apologise. As of right now i can't locate one.

Where is he now? After the kit launch i've been looking at the shades of red on past shirts, and saw him.

Made me wonder, why did he have such a big hype to him? I think the hyperbole was very high circa 2002, with Diouf, Le Tallec and Pongolle. But i don't remember much of the latter being compared to Zinedine Zidane.

Just a friday night wonder, though that goal at the Bridge.  ;D
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Bruno Cheyrou -What Happened
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:57:08 pm »
His last club was Nantes in 2012. Bruno had a really successful season with Lille before joining us. He'd scored against Man Utd in the Champions League and had netted 11 goals from midfield for Lille in the defensively-minded Ligue 1. He'd scored fifteen goals in 39 games in all competitions for Lille that season.

He definitely had shown his ability in France before he joined us (first goal):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JwgK5jSk9F4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JwgK5jSk9F4</a>

I don't think the new Zidane label helped his cause whatsoever.  He now works as a commentator in France for beIN Sports. Incidentally, his brother Benoit is still playing in the MLS for Toronto FC.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:02:56 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:53:17 pm »
Mods if there is another thread, i do apologise. As of right now i can't locate one.

Where is he now? After the kit launch i've been looking at the shades of red on past shirts, and saw him.

Made me wonder, why did he have such a big hype to him? I think the hyperbole was very high circa 2002, with Diouf, Le Tallec and Pongolle. But i don't remember much of the latter being compared to Zinedine Zidane.

Just a friday night wonder, though that goal at the Bridge.  ;D

That wasn't a Friday! And he followed it up with a couple in the cup against Newcastle and one at Wolves...and then went back to anonymity again. Very odd Liverpool career!

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:03:46 pm »
That wasn't a Friday! And he followed it up with a couple in the cup against Newcastle and one at Wolves...and then went back to anonymity again. Very odd Liverpool career!
Haha no i meant i was wondering about Bruno on a Friday night.

Yes i remember those goals, as well as the Spartak Moscow thrashing.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:07:57 pm »
His last club was Nantes in 2012. Bruno had a really successful season with Lille before joining us. He'd scored against Man Utd in the Champions League and had netted 11 goals from midfield for Lille in the defensively-minded Ligue 1. He'd scored fifteen goals in 39 games in all competitions for Lille that season.

He definitely had shown his ability in France before he joined us (first goal):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JwgK5jSk9F4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JwgK5jSk9F4</a>

I don't think the new Zidane label helped his cause whatsoever.  He now works as a commentator in France for beIN Sports. Incidentally, his brother Benoit is still playing in the MLS for Toronto FC.

Wow that first goal really was something. It's understandable if someone played like regularly now we'd be all over Klopp to sign him, hence why i understand the interest from Houllier. But Chamakh is an example it doesn't always work when transitioning between France to the Premiership (at the time).

I remember at the time we signed Bruno, Benoit was still very young, and we'd hope to bring him in if he was improving at the rate we deemed necessary to make an offer.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:10:17 pm by Andy Hunter »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »
Over than one month in January 2004, Cheyrou's time with us will be best remembered for Gerrard Houllier comparing him to Zinedine Zidane. I remember a blinding strike he scored for Lille in the Champions League against Manchester United.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 08:17:41 pm »
When I used to play fifa a few years ago, I used to play as Accrington Stanley in manager mode and sign Bruno his brother Benoit, Sinama and La Tallec, took me all the way to the Prem!
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:30:13 pm »
I understand he's now managing Real Madrid
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4